THE BROWNS BOARD

Fail for Cardale revisited.

hoorta

If he can turn UH into a perennial contender, he'll never have to leave. That Texas oil money will come out of the woodwork and he'll be getting beaucoup booster bucks.

People forget there was a time in the old SWC Bill Yeoman's Veer ran the Cougs to national prominence for a decade of top 20 rankings. No small feat for what was essentially a commuter school.

FUN FACT:

U of H was originally established as a Junior College by the Houston Independent School District to fill an affordable, continuing Ed gap in the area. This was the basis for the less than complementary term to which the school was referred, Cougar High.

U of H Grads, including my wife, hate that name.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UH will always fall dreadfully short of matching bucks with A&M and Texas.

Everything falls dreadfully short of UT...A&M included.

But Texas money is Texas money, and there's sure to be more than a few new boosters that will gladly throw money at UH if they hit the playoffs next year.

I can't speak for Herman, but I would much rather be known as the guy who brought Houston back than just some guy in a line of successful A&M coaches.

Their AD knows how to build programs from nothing, it's why he's there. He was the AD that helped turned Coastal Carolina football from a literal nothing program into an FBS school in only a few years. He also rapidly expanded other sports as well - their baseball team is consistently nationally ranked and was one game away from being in the CWS finals (fuck you, Gamecocks).

Under Yurachek, the football stadium capacity expanded almost 300%. Baseball expanded 900%. Basketball 300%.

Granted, we're talking a difference of apples and oranges, but given the fact that Coastal Carolina was just a satellite campus for USC not too long ago and that they didn't even have a football team until 2002, it's still impressive. Yurachek builds programs from nothing into something, and that's what he's doing at UH. UH will never have the booster money of Texas, but it could very well start going toe-to-toe with the big dogs of the Big 12 every year and not blinking an eye.

If I'm Herman, that sounds massively appealing to me.

He was born there but isn't really an Ohio guy per se.

Born and raised....but went to school in Calif. Has had coaching gigs in Iowa, and Ohio and Texas where he has been an asst. at like every school in the state, including Texas, Texas St., Rice, Sam Houston St., Texas Lutheran.

He would be a stronger candidate to replace Charlie Strong if things don't go better at that school.

But he seems to like Houston area.....he has now coached at at least 3-4 schools in the Houston area: Houston, Rice, Sam Houston St. Texas Lutheran. Maybe that is why he is committed to UH.

I wonder how much of his success can be contributed to Tom Hermann. The whole Buckeye offense suffered when ahermann left. I would take Cardale in the second round. Let Josh McCown mentor him and be confident in my decision.

Thread bookmarked for when he leaves in less than a year (or possibly this week). Houston won't be any more than a TCU or Baylor at best. Herman could possibly be the best coach in the 40-50 group. 50-60 has Urban. 60-70 has Saban. Yeah, that guy's gonna stay at Houston. Come on.

Born and raised....but went to school in Calif. Has had coaching gigs in Iowa, and Ohio and Texas where he has been an asst. at like every school in the state, including Texas, Texas St., Rice, Sam Houston St., Texas Lutheran.

He would be a stronger candidate to replace Charlie Strong if things don't go better at that school.

But he seems to like Houston area.....he has now coached at at least 3-4 schools in the Houston area: Houston, Rice, Sam Houston St. Texas Lutheran. Maybe that is why he is committed to UH.

I thought I read it was just born. Raised in Cali.

Thread bookmarked for when he leaves in less than a year (or possibly this week). Houston won't be any more than a TCU or Baylor at best. Herman could possibly be the best coach in the 40-50 group. 50-60 has Urban. 60-70 has Saban. Yeah, that guy's gonna stay at Houston. Come on.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

I wonder how much of his success can be contributed to Tom Hermann. The whole Buckeye offense suffered when ahermann left. I would take Cardale in the second round. Let Josh McCown mentor him and be confident in my decision.

A second round pick on a QB who came out early after not starting on his college team ?

"we aint come to play SCHOOL classes are pointless."

Free agent/final pick, ok

Are you implying that 4th round starters are not found in every draft ? The good teams find them. The bad teams don't. Bengals WR Marvin Jones was a 4th round pick. Would you rather have Jones or a practice squad player ?

No, you're implying that it's seemingly easy to find them, so I'm asking you which exact ones you'd pick. Names.

Shit or get off the pot.

No, you're implying that it's seemingly easy to find them, so I'm asking you which exact ones you'd pick. Names.

Shit or get off the pot.

No. I never said it was easy. I said the good teams find them and the BAD teams don't . If I had an entire department dedicated to scouting and drafting I could be more specific. Some teams can't get first rounders correct. The fourth and later picks that do make it were identified,scouted. then drafted. Browns have misses on multuple first rounders. Using any draft pick on Jones is"drafting like a Brown".

No. I never said it was easy. I said the good teams find them and the BAD teams don't . If I had an entire department dedicated to scouting and drafting I could be more specific. Some teams can't get first rounders correct. The fourth and later picks that do make it were identified,scouted. then drafted. Browns have misses on multuple first rounders. Using any draft pick on Jones is"drafting like a Brown".

If you can't even rattle off a list of fourth round guys without an entire scouting department, how is anyone supposed to trust your "analysis" of Jones? I use the term "analysis" very loosely, because there has been absolutely zero analysis so far.

If you can't even rattle off a list of fourth round guys without an entire scouting department, how is anyone supposed to trust your "analysis" of Jones? I use the term "analysis" very loosely, because there has been absolutely zero analysis so far.

And how am I supposed to trust your judgment when you waxed poetically about benefit of promoting a staffer who was immediatly fired.

And how am I supposed to trust your judgment when you waxed poetically about benefit of promoting a staffer who was immediatly fired.

The two sentences that I posted about how we should put a football guy as GM? If that's waxing poetically, then I guess I need to become a writer.

The benefit remains the same, our GM needs to be a "football guy" to counterbalance the analytical prowess of our VPOFO and new CSO. Not the other way around. We saw what happens when you take a "football guy" and put him in charge of the whole shebang - he carts his fat ass into camp, does nothing but collect a paycheck, and then leaves.

TCU and Baylor are better programs at this point than Tamu.

Have you not seen the rankings for like the past decade?

And now you are going to have a successful Houston program in that state to try to keep the Houston area kids at home.

TCU and Baylor are better programs at this point than Tamu.

Have you not seen the rankings for like the past decade?

And now you are going to have a successful Houston program in that state to try to keep the Houston area kids at home.

Current success does not equate to long-term program health. We've been over this. Baylor and TCU will never ever recruit well enough to win a national championship.

Current success does not equate to long-term program health. We've been over this. Baylor and TCU will never ever recruit well enough to win a national championship.

They have both been in the Top ten....even higher. They are both far closer than TAMU to achieving one.

We might lose to them. We might not. Bowl games are all about motivation. Florida State with a national championship on the line is not losing to Houston. Sorry. If you think they are, then you must also think UCONN is actually a better team than Houston.

As for TCU and Baylor: A&M's actually capable of recruiting in the top 5, which is what's necessary to win a NC (proven time and time again). We just have a bad coach. They could have the greatest coach ever (and they both actually might, those guys are amazing) and they will steal have a ceiling beneath the NC (as we've seen).

Shit or get off the pot.

OK, I had to cheat. Steelers Martavius Bryant, Landry Jones both 4th round. Why they're in the playoffs, and we're drafting second.

A&M's actually capable of recruiting in the top 5, which is what's necessary to win a NC (proven time and time again). We just have a bad coach.

Impossible with a "bad coach"... but still difficult with a good one.

I grew to love and appreciate Aggie-land during my daughter's five years there, but it is an acquired taste for anyone not raised in the rural lifestyle. And that is a significant recruiting disadvantage on a national scale.

Yes, still difficult.

Waco and "Cow town" aren't any better on the country scale, and don't sport 50K student enrollments and 100K game day crowds. I would submit Tuscaloosa, Athens, Gainesville, and auburn aren't exactly urban dreams either and they recruit very well.

But, Sumlin's only signed one top 5 class and the last guy to do it with any consistency was RC in his prime, so I guess you could be on to something.

Re: Cardale, I missed reports from after his game that he refuted the reports that he was considering transferring. So he's NFL all the way.

Listen, I'm as bad as anyone when it comes to hyping players that come from my favorite school, but this guy isn't the answer in my opinion. From what I've seen, he's so completely raw, that he'd be a massive project. Can he make progressions? Take snaps from center? What's his work ethic like? I could be dead wrong about this kid, as I haven't seen him play much. I admit that. But from the numbers I've seen, and what little play I've watched...this guy looks like an uphill battle.

Listen, I'm as bad as anyone when it comes to hyping players that come from my favorite school, but this guy isn't the answer in my opinion. From what I've seen, he's so completely raw, that he'd be a massive project. Can he make progressions? Take snaps from center? What's his work ethic like? I could be dead wrong about this kid, as I haven't seen him play much. I admit that. But from the numbers I've seen, and what little play I've watched...this guy looks like an uphill battle.

Yea...I think there's a lot of lower round prospects I like more than him. Well Cardale might go 4-7, the guys I like more are probably 2-4 but still.

Wentz, Prescott, Hogan, Hackenberg, Cook.... I'd probably lean for those 5 before I went with Cardale.

Of course I'm firmly of the opinion we get Goff and be done with it - but if we don't take Goff I'd probably like to see Wentz or Prescott later on.

We might lose to them. We might not. Bowl games are all about motivation. Florida State with a national championship on the line is not losing to Houston. Sorry. If you think they are, then you must also think UCONN is actually a better team than Houston.

As for TCU and Baylor: A&M's actually capable of recruiting in the top 5, which is what's necessary to win a NC (proven time and time again). We just have a bad coach. They could have the greatest coach ever (and they both actually might, those guys are amazing) and they will steal have a ceiling beneath the NC (as we've seen).

To quote Elwood Blues.....You are looking for a wish sandwich:

Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich?

A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you, hee hee hee, wish you had some meat...

You got no meat.

Archived