THE BROWNS BOARD

Fail for Cardale revisited.

hoorta

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone wanting cardale deserves a losing team. Zero football IQ with off field issues and got benched playing shitty against scrubs. Shouldn't even be drafted imho.

credibility gone. You are fucking Retarded and deserve to be on forum probation.

11-0 in a system that totally limited his qb ability. Oh with a National Championship under his belt. So stupid he decided to get a diploma rather than take a chance in the nfl. What a loser.

People who don't know him shouldn't be calling him stupid, so we agree there. But let's for the sake of argument look at what many here know. He's big and strong, mobile, very good arm strength and can't start over JT Barrett. Therein lies the issue for me. Urban Meyer isn't a choir boy and he'd start the best QB to beat MSU and that wasn't Jones.

In the read option spread. He may be slower than the lineman for that offense. I think lsu woulda absolutely loved having him in a pro style offense. Especially with that running game. 75 % of throws in urbans offense rely on isolating a certain player and rolling out throws. Not ideal for a sit back in the pocket type guy. I'd be willing to wager Jones fits into nfl as a qb better than Barrett, Miller, Boykin and even manziel.

I dont have much to add to the whole QB thing....its been a conundrum for me all along.....

But, no matter what we do, Im thinking we need someone who can at least act as good back up immediately. And Im not certain Davis is it.....but well get another look Sunday though....

So.....if the Browns were to cut chase on Johnny....and McCown went down(which is oh so likely to happen)...then a season with Davis scares me.....or a guy like Cardale ftm.....

So....Im more likely to think pick a QB high and prepare him for immediate back up duty.....OR.....screw picking one this year and just sign a guy like Bradford....cause I think him and McCown would be a nice 1-2 punch, while Davis continues to learn....

Don't see Davis or Shaw (or JM) as the future, but short-term we can draft a developmental QB, spend 2016 on him and repeat with a new prospect, if necessary, in 2017.

Thats my plan for linebacker......draft 5 of them......we need em all!

With underclass declarations still pending, the issue I have is ID'ing 5 LBs I think improve us. Really warming to Ragland and like Perry, but beyond that??? Maybe the Utah St. OLB Fackrell?

LOL on the LB's too Mud. But I think you are right on the QB situation. I think the comments on JM's off the field problems needing addressing by Pettine this week either has him going back into some serious rehab with serious follow up or he's a goner from the Browns either by trade or by cutting. He has not shown yet that he gets his "alleged" alcohol problem at all. The fact hat his coaches other players think he is very talented (despite this board) is the only reason he isn't gone already.

Ag, with the last selfie, I think Johnny has finally worn out his welcome in Cleveland. For sure- it's back to rehab. For sure, the Browns can't count on him as their future. He's heading down a Justin Blackmon road of no return fast.

Cardale is a good late 4th or later pick if you see nothing better to see if you can catch lightning in a bottle. To draft him as a viable starting QB in 2016 is insane given all the other needs this team has.

He's a project with a capital P.

Depends where the compensatory picks fall. If Jones is getting his degree, it means he isn't totally stupid, even if his degree is in basket weaving.

Um, on the football side, he's got all the measurables you would want. It will depend on how he does with the chalk talk, and Wunderlich. If he aces those, I could see him going as high as the second round. If he's there in the third, MHO I tell the Browns to pull the trigger.

Cardale Jones Career stats : 23 games played 167 comp 270 att 61.9% 2323 yards 8.6 yd avg. 15 td 7 int sacked 18 times for a loss of 119 yards. Rushing: 153 attempts for 617 yards 4 rushing Touchdowns 4.0 ypc avg.

so are you really going to tell me that you want to draft this guy with a top of the third a top 75 player in college football for the 2016 draft. a guy with less than 3000 career yards and 20 touchdowns
do you even realize how ridiculous you sound? for perspective Jared Goff has thrown for more yards in each of his 3 seasons than Cardale has had FROM SCRIMMAGE his entire career. Ridiculous complete homerism at its finest

Cardale Jones Career stats : 23 games played 167 comp 270 att 61.9% 2323 yards 8.6 yd avg. 15 td 7 int sacked 18 times for a loss of 119 yards. Rushing: 153 attempts for 617 yards 4 rushing Touchdowns 4.0 ypc avg.

so are you really going to tell me that you want to draft this guy with a top of the third a top 75 player in college football for the 2016 draft. a guy with less than 3000 career yards and 20 touchdowns

do you even realize how ridiculous you sound? for perspective Jared Goff has thrown for more yards in each of his 3 seasons than Cardale has had FROM SCRIMMAGE his entire career. Ridiculous complete homerism at its finest

Did you seriously just compare a guy with 270 career attempts to a guy who's a three year started?

I just want to make sure that is what you're trying to say before I call you out on how that is the absolute dumbest fucking thing I've ever read.

I believe Cardale's success came from using a limited playbook due to being thrust into action, when handed the entire playbook this season it proved to be too much for him to handle. I don't believe he will be able to handle an NFL playbook. Has all the tools except the mentality it takes to be an NFL QB.

You realise your asking us to draft a qb with 270 career attempts? Thanks for validation lol

You realize that the staying power of NFL draft picks drops significantly after the third round? You realize that only 5-8% of fourth round picks earn and maintain starting jobs, compared to about 25-30% of third rounders? You realize that, despite how much you don't like Jones, he's excelled on the biggest stage in college football - something no other QB prospect has done in this draft.

A QB needy team spending a fourth round pick on a 6'5" national champion QB is a no-fucking-brainer, regardless of his number of completions or relative inexperience. The potential benefit far outweighs the risk.

But I do see your point. Taking a flier on Cardale would be detrimental to us, because we could be missing out on guys like:

Vince Mayle

Pierre Desir

James Michael-Johnson

Owen Marecic

Kaluka Maiava

Beau Bell

Martin Rucker

Isaac Sowells

Leon Williams

Wentz/cook/Kessler/Dak/Hogan/Hackenberg/lynch/Goff/Sudfield.... if all of those QB's are gone take cardale but not before then. Also the logic you are using is that because it is unlikely to work out anyway fuck it get the big guy who has shown he can hand it to zeke real good?

No, my reasoning is more like "take a flier on the guy who has perfect measurables, a cannon arm, a national championship, and who passed for over 240 yards against Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon each." There's at least a proof of concept there - as a project QB, that's more than most.

No, my reasoning is more like "take a flier on the guy who has perfect measurables, a cannon arm, a national championship, and who passed for over 240 yards against Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon each." There's at least a proof of concept there - as a project QB, that's more than most.

In the 4th I'm completely in agreement. I could be talked into taking him in the 3rd...but I prefer the 4th.

EVERY pick has potential franchise changing implications Especially at QB. We reap what we sow here and i can't think of a better waste than drafting on size and what 4 goodish games? Some of the worst decision making i have seen at an osu qb and thats the guy your enamored with. Lol i hope the FO don't think this way

EVERY pick has potential franchise changing implications Especially at QB. We reap what we sow here and i can't think of a better waste than drafting on size and what 4 goodish games? Some of the worst decision making i have seen at an osu qb and thats the guy your enamored with. Lol i hope the FO don't think this way

Those four goodish games led to a national championship and he's what? 12-0 as the starting qb for osu. Don't forget about that.

It's pretty clear i'm not going to change anyones mind with relevant facts so let's agree to disagree.

Just to point out ZERO QB's recruited by urban meyer have succeeded at the nfl level.

Here's a fact for you dumbass Cardale Jones wasn't recruited by Urban Myers. :blink:

It's pretty clear i'm not going to change anyones mind with relevant facts so let's agree to disagree.

Just to point out ZERO QB's recruited by urban meyer have succeeded at the nfl level.

I'm still waiting for relevant facts. When you can present them, I'm sure we'd be more inclined to listen.

But, as of now, you're just some nobody with a dumbass opinion and nothing to back it up.

You realise your asking us to draft a qb with 270 career attempts? Thanks for validation lol

Um, it's not like drafting a guy from a D III school

You realize that the staying power of NFL draft picks drops significantly after the third round? You realize that only 5-8% of fourth round picks earn and maintain starting jobs, compared to about 25-30% of third rounders? You realize that, despite how much you don't like Jones, he's excelled on the biggest stage in college football - something no other QB prospect has done in this draft.

A QB needy team spending a fourth round pick on a 6'5" national champion QB is a no-fucking-brainer, regardless of his number of completions or relative inexperience. The potential benefit far outweighs the risk.

But I do see your point. Taking a flier on Cardale would be detrimental to us, because we could be missing out on guys like:

Vince Mayle

Pierre Desir

James Michael-Johnson

Owen Marecic

Kaluka Maiava

Beau Bell

Martin Rucker

Isaac Sowells

Leon Williams

Not like anyone here is asking the Browns to draft Cardale in the first.

Wentz/cook/Kessler/Dak/Hogan/Hackenberg/lynch/Goff/Sudfield.... if all of those QB's are gone take cardale but not before then. Also the logic you are using is that because it is unlikely to work out anyway fuck it get the big guy who has shown he can hand it to zeke real good?

Nah- I'm seeing a guy who can throw the ball out of the stadium, if necessary. Like effortless 50 yard bombs. Apparently that doesn't count in your book. IMHO he has as much arm as Rothlisberger, and that's plenty good enough-

Exactly. I'd suggest our detractor look at qbs drafted in the 4th round, and compare measurables. LOL McCoy got drafted in the third, with all those fancy stats, and he's barely hanging on in the NFL.

Archived