THE BROWNS BOARD

mario wlliams

LBC mike

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they cut Mario WIllams holy fucking shit. Yeah you pick that fucker up IMMEDIATELY. Physically that guy is on another food chain. He would be instantly the most talented edge we've had maybe in the history of the Browns, I dunno. But definitely since the team came back in 99. Use him right and he's a 15 sack MINIMUM guy. Watching him in the preseason before Rex started standing him up constantly, his run stopping technique is elite. Both him and Hughes are way way way more active in stopping the run than our edges. They don't just set the edge, they actively get off their blocks and at least get a hand on the runner often, which is a big deal when you have suspect ILB'ers like we have. Slowing up the runner for an instant might be enough to allow the LB'ers to get to the hole in time.

If we were to get Mario Williams it changes the draft. We probabl don't need to even look at D line then, go get that premier MLB'er.

yes it would. He would probably also wouldn't mind playing for Pet, had good seasons under him. I would go so far as to say our front 7 production would have been vastly different this year with him on it. Yeah we need to find the right depth combo at all positions on the line, but I think a rotation of him, the bryants and orchard next year would be ridiculous. Interesting to see what happens next year. It's possible they may cut armonty depending on his legal problems. If they do, then maybe they still look ta Bosa in the draft. Bosa and Williams would be a ridiculous edge pair.

Yes, yes, fuck yes, and yes. Coming off a 'down' season because of misuse from Rexy, and he's got a relationship with our coaching staff that might give us a leg up on the competition.

What about the money? He makes 100s of millions!

We have plenty of money. He's due $11.5m this year, which is a lot but not a salary breaking figure. A trade might work if we can throw a late rounder at them, in a 'give us anything and he's yours or we just cut him' kind of deal.

Why would he want to go to the same type of defensive scheme he hated in Buffalo?

He didn't hate it when Pettine ran it, in fact he was quite successful. Our system is based on Rex Ryan's but isn't the same.

He didn't hate it when Pettine ran it, in fact he was quite successful. Our system is based on Rex Ryan's but isn't the same.

Touche, Chris. Touche.

I've been a huge Williams fan since he was taken #1, and I was in the camp that favored his selection over Bush. Reggie Bush was one of the best college players I've ever seen, but a dominant pass rusher means the world in the NFL.

I would take Williams in a hot second.....his pass rush is exactly what we need up front.....

And, rather than wait for the cut(which might get him cheaper).....Id offer Kruger and a later pick(we have a bunch of 5's)(Mingo too)....

That way we dump our overpriced pass rusher, making room for the REAL pass rusher AND cover a good part of his contract too

I would take Williams in a hot second.....his pass rush is exactly what we need up front.....

And, rather than wait for the cut(which might get him cheaper).....Id offer Kruger and a later pick(we have a bunch of 5's)(Mingo too)....

That way we dump our overpriced pass rusher, making room for the REAL pass rusher AND cover a good part of his contract too

DING DING DING.

Yeah you pull that off and I would be all for hearing at the next Browns press conference.......we would like to introduce the Cleveland Browns new GM, Mudfly

Ha!.....I know, I know......nobody would take Kruger and that contract.......(just a pipe dream)......

The only way to get rid of Kruger is gonna be to cut him out right.....and we have zero OLB's, so sad to say, we will probably keep him......

Hopefully, we will sign or draft his replacement......THEN we can have an $8,000,000 back up......;)

Right....they HAVE TO cut Bowe.....have to.....no way he can stay another year.....

And, if he stays, they are paying him way more than the $9M people keep mentioning.....it'll be more like $12M, I do believe....

IIRC, $12.5m over two years, fully guaranteed for the first year, half for year two, so we're on the hook for around $3m next year regardless. May be more intricate than that, but that is the simple version.

IIRC, $12.5m over two years, fully guaranteed for the first year, half for year two, so we're on the hook for around $3m next year regardless. May be more intricate than that, but that is the simple version.

My take too.....

Same with Kruger.....we've "almost" met the guarantee with him too.......so, if we keep him, he's in at 7 or 8 million for the season.....but if we cut him, it only costs us 2.5 mil (or so)....

Back to Williams....my only concern would be his bitching bout the "system" and basically blaming his coach for his failure to play well this season.....kinda what Kruger did, but MUCH louder and in a more public way.....

That is worrisome.....

He's bitched whenever a DC has tried to stand him up. Mud. Did the same in Houston years ago when Wade Phillips arrived. Part of the reason he went to Buffalo.

Mario is still a relatively young, ten-year vet, but has some miles on him. I'd be wary of a long-term deal.

He's bitched whenever a DC has tried to stand him up. Mud. Did the same in Houston years ago when Wade Phillips arrived. Part of the reason he went to Buffalo.

Mario is still a relatively young, ten-year vet, but has some miles on him. I'd be wary of a long-term deal.

Even more worrisome then.....

And those contact lenses he wears?.......pretty damn creepy.....

mario-williams-red-contacts-147904272584

And here's more on Williams, an article just posted to NFL.com.....hmmm.....was I too fast in saying sign him????

From the article.....

This week, we check in on Mario Williams in Buffalo, where a divorce is almost certainly inevitable. The Associated Press reported this week that the team plans on releasing the defensive end in an effort to save more than $12 million.

But it seems like there are reasons beyond finance, and one unnamed Bills player has the low down.

"It's been clear to me that Mario doesn't care about anybody but himself," the teammate said, via The Buffalo News. "He followed that up by not giving any effort during the season and complaining about the scheme instead of manning up and saying he played like crap and doesn't care."

The person added that Williams has "totally checked out."

So.....WOW.....those are some strong words from a teammate.....(sounds like Dansby and Whitner sounded recently)....

Here's the link.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000613483/article/anonymous-bills-player-mario-williams-checked-out

So he's not a "stand up" kind of guy? (rim shot)

If I ran a 4-3, I'd want Mario. Near DT weight with near OLB speed makes one helluva DE.

Also works as a 3-4 hybrid DE opposite Kruger... more or less as a super-Sheard. But as a Kruger replacement? No...

we use him like Pettine used when he was tehre, as a true Jack that just dropped into zone. He played well in that scheme. But most of his snaps have to be with his hands down. Pettine just has to go back to what he ran in Buffalo. This experimenting he did this year "I HOPE" was because he was trying to find some use for our edges because they couldn't get the job done. This is why i want to retain Pettine, so he has time to get his players. Signing Mario would OBVIOUSLY be a step toward that. And if Mario gets 12+ sacks next year we know that Pettine's system can still get the job done.

So he's not a "stand up" kind of guy? (rim shot)

If I ran a 4-3, I'd want Mario. Near DT weight with near OLB speed makes one helluva DE.

Also works as a 3-4 hybrid DE opposite Kruger... more or less as a super-Sheard. But as a Kruger replacement? No...

If Bosa isn't what the Browns are looking for, what would be the issue with having Mario play anywhere from the 5-7 with his hand in the ground?

So let me get this straight people. A player is getting CUT because he sucked this past year and we are supposed to pick him up and all of a sudden he is a superstar? Sounds to me that he has reached the age of retirement 3 years before his contract ran out. This reeks of Bowe all over again.

So let me get this straight people. A player is getting CUT because he sucked this past year and we are supposed to pick him up and all of a sudden he is a superstar? Sounds to me that he has reached the age of retirement 3 years before his contract ran out. This reeks of Bowe all over again.

he's not getting cut because he sucks, he's getting cut cause he doesn't fit in Rex's defense and knows it and is vocal about it. "In this case", the player is absolutely correct. He's being horribly misutilized. If the rest of Buffalo's defense was picking up where they left off last year, ok i'd be suspect...but the whole defense has sucked. And let me remind everyone that talent wise that defense is off the charts. They are on another food chain compared to the Browns talent. Their issue was coaching, no more no less.

I know people will then ask, so why does Pettine get a pass and Rex doesn't? Well, this defense sucked last year too. We now know it's the talent. With Buffalo, they were a top 3 defense what, 2 years ago? If I remember correctly either last year or the year before....Mario and their DT, I can't remember his name right now but he's the best DT in the game...those two guys had more sacks between them than our entire defense at the time we played them which was like midway through the season or something.

Archived