THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 qb's rated

poplarbluffman

Payton Lynch

Somebody must be getting kickbacks for ranking Paxton Lynch so high. He couldn't muster a touchdown against Auburn. Hopefully his stock falls before the Browns draft another Brady Quinn/Brandon Weeden.
They need help at so many posititions a QB as the first pick better be a HOME RUN!
Bosa, Elliot, Cardale

Lynch vs Auburn? how about Carr vs USC.... guess you thought Carr would be a bust after that game...I didn't I had him 13th overall

fans tend to make way too much out of individual games....Memphis vs Auburn? anyone.really thought Lynch would win?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several respected pundits have said there is not a 1st round talent QB out there in this draft. That whoever you take will be the equivalent of EJ Manuel.

Eh I'd say a lot are high on Goff. It's still too early for the final projections but I suspect he'll be regarded as a top pick by many.

I haven't really been too high on any QBs in recent years, but Goff is the first.

He carried a team with basically no talent and has all the right tools.

I won't say "book it" yet, but I'm thinking he may be the franchise QB for many years for somebody.

I know I am in the minority here but I still feel that as a player, Johnny still shows a lot of potential. His off the field antics are obviously a concern, but nothing that I feel, in the NFL anyway, is really much of an issue. I would love to see one full season of him and Gordon. I think Chip Kelly's last hope in the NFL would be an attempt at his speedy offense with those two and Duke Johnson. I feel like those guys combined with our other speedy receivers would do some damage.

With that being said, I am also very open to drafting a QB if Bosa is taken number one. I do like a lot of what I see in Goff. That dude has a cannon and great accuracy. I only get worried with him cause he dances around a bit in the pocket, he gets happy feet. It's not a big deal, so does Peyton Manning, but it does cause some concern for me.

If not Goff, I think we should gamble on Cardale. He could be the next Cam Newton if you build around him. I am not even a huge OSU fan (Illini) but that kid is a massive talent, he just needs the right coaching imo.

I know I am in the minority here but I still feel that as a player, Johnny still shows a lot of potential. His off the field antics are obviously a concern, but nothing that I feel, in the NFL anyway, is really much of an issue.

The definition of potential.....he hasn't done shit yet in the NFL. Lying to the team about where you are is not a concern?? Not showing up on more than one occasion to a required team thing isn't a concern? He better hope that Jerry Jones is still in love with him because that's about his last chance in the NFL. No one will trust him because he can't be trusted.

Carson Wentz, Brandon Doughty and Blake Frohnapfel are the three I'm most interested in.

Still have to watch a little more tape, though. But I like the size, arm talent and decision making of those three thus far.

I don't know anything about any of them. But I've heard good things about Wentz....I've never really heard of the last two. But I'd rather go with a 2nd or 3rd round guy and McCown than taking a QB at 2 as I just don't think any of them are good enough for the #2 overall pick. I'd rather take Bosa, especially if the reports are accurate as to how good he can be in the NFL.

I know I am in the minority here but I still feel that as a player, Johnny still shows a lot of potential.

Potential is the one thing Johnny will always have...

I notice the OP starts his evaluations based on 'swag'. I'll presume street cred is also highly factored in as well, no?

I believe it's you multiply 'swag' by 'cred' and add 'bitches + hoes' to get the final ranking.

I know I am in the minority here but I still feel that as a player, Johnny still shows a lot of potential. His off the field antics are obviously a concern, but nothing that I feel, in the NFL anyway, is really much of an issue. I would love to see one full season of him and Gordon. I think Chip Kelly's last hope in the NFL would be an attempt at his speedy offense with those two and Duke Johnson. I feel like those guys combined with our other speedy receivers would do some damage.

With that being said, I am also very open to drafting a QB if Bosa is taken number one. I do like a lot of what I see in Goff. That dude has a cannon and great accuracy. I only get worried with him cause he dances around a bit in the pocket, he gets happy feet. It's not a big deal, so does Peyton Manning, but it does cause some concern for me.

If not Goff, I think we should gamble on Cardale. He could be the next Cam Newton if you build around him. I am not even a huge OSU fan (Illini) but that kid is a massive talent, he just needs the right coaching imo.

• 2 months later...

1. Jared Goff 6'4 215 California top 5 pick..not as good as P Manning but similar skill set a WOW! passer used to carrying his team on his shoulders
2. Paxton Lynch 6'6 240 Memphis top 10 pick has some Roethlisberger/Cam Newton similarities very accurate deep thrower 36 vertical and almost 10' broad jump elite arm/elite athlete with some footwork issues, very competitive a battler

3. Carson Wentz 6'5 231 North Dakota St top 15 6'6 230 handles pressure well both inside and on the move, fearless accurate passer 2X Academic All American some Bradford/Flacco similarities very talented game manager

4. Cardale Jones 6'5 253 9 3/4 hands 1st handles chaos/high ceiling very raw and will take time but very talented highest ceiling of all the QB's in this draft real risk factor but love the competitiveness, brains and tangibles...likely will win multiple Super Bowls
5. Conner Cook 1st 6'4 217 9 3/4 hands Michigan 1st fast reads, nfl arm/body but struggles with chaos but also a winner 9-2 in games decide by 7 pts or less. 34-2 overall as a starter hard evaluation but the more games I watch the more I like him 3X Academic All-Big Ten Completion % hurt by few numbers of drop offs not playing qb friendly offense
6. . Brandon Allen Arkansas 6''1 8 7/8 hands 2nd/3rd Jeremiah," reminds me of "Jimmy Garoppolo"...me too r undersized QB . elite ability to throw on the move and throw under pressure..plus very smart, plays like a #1 draft pick similar hand size/skill set as Tony Romo

7. Dak Prescott 6'2 226 10 7/8 hands Mississippi St 3rd/4th a bull dog/winner with some talent similar to Wilson..has the ability to run for 40+ first downs a year while still being a decent nfl passer a foxhole type player hates to lose and a natural leader
8. Brandon Doughty 6'3 215 Western Kentucky /3rd/5th has the swagger/instincts of a top NFL qb elite sleeper reminds me of Drew Brees skinny body not sure how well he will hold up average arm

updated list....

from stl lot of rumors of Hue trading down? IMO a RG3/Rams trade is your best option. Still think Hue will be a great head coach.

Somebody must be getting kickbacks for ranking Paxton Lynch so high. He couldn't muster a touchdown against Auburn. Hopefully his stock falls before the Browns draft another Brady Quinn/Brandon Weeden.

They need help at so many posititions a QB as the first pick better be a HOME RUN!

Bosa, Elliot, Cardale

Hue went to Goff & Wentz's Pro Days, isn't going to Lynch. Tells me all I need to know.

(1) Paxton Lynch-nfl body, + athleticism, + arm talent, good production, played in offense that despite being a spread has NFL/WCO passing concepts (same offense as Andy Dalton)

(2) Connor Cook-nfl body, decent athleticism, decent arm talent, very good production, played in true NFL offense

(3) Carson Wentz-nfl body, + athleticism, good arm talent, good production, played in a true NFL offense BUT played with a decided schematic and organization advantage over competition

(4) Jared Goff-needs to bulk up, decent athleticism, decent arm talent, top production, played in a spread air raid offense and will have to transition into NFL offense

(5) Brandon Allen-smaller frame, average athleticism, average arm, good production, played in true NFL offense

Honestly......there is no QB that has yet played in the NFL that we can rate how they can turn out as an NFL QB. In any draft there are outstanding successes and outstanding busts. And those who thought would be outstanding successes turned into outstanding busts.

So, we know nothing.

You can rate these guys on how they performed in college....and try to extrapolate how they will do in the pros.... but nothing is certain or written.

Objectively looking at Cardale I don't want him. He's not going to be a franchise QB anywhere in the league.

There's a lot better QB prospects I'd go for in the lower rounds (Prescott, Hackenberg)

And not no one not no how knows this for certain...at all.

And not no one not no how knows this for certain...at all.

So why continue to post on these threads if you're going to keep repeating over and over, on every thread, that no one is capable of predicting success for a player who transitions from the college to pro games?

Annoying. Really.

People are here to discuss and give their opinions of who they think will be good pro players. That's the entire appeal of discussing the NFL draft.

So why continue to post on these threads if you're going to keep repeating over and over, on every thread, that no one is capable of predicting success for a player who transitions from the college to pro games?

Annoying. Really.

Sorry that the truth hurts.

People are here to discuss and give their opinions of who they think will be good pro players. That's the entire appeal of discussing the NFL draft.

I didn't say you shouldn't continue do it. I didn't say that I would not continue to do it. I am just telling the truth about the predictability of it all.

That is part of the frustration of it all for Browns fans. I had thought we would have had something going right with Quinn/Wimbley/Richardson/Weeden/Mingo/Manziel. All these guys I predicted somewhat success. All epic failures.

So now I go in the opposite direction: Wentz is gonna suck eggs. Goff is gonna suck swamp water. Ramsey is gonna suck lollipops. Jack isn't going to do jack.

And Bosa is the only one I think will be any good at all.

So, you know what's gonna happen. All these guys are gonna turn out great except Bosa.....and he is the guy the Browns will draft.

That is part of the frustration of it all for Browns fans. I had thought we would have had something going right with Quinn/Wimbley/Richardson/Weeden/Mingo/Manziel. All these guys I predicted somewhat success. All epic failures.

Not everyone's track record sucks as badly as yours, Gip.

So that means many of us are better evaluators of talent than both you and the Browns.

No, not really. None of you have really done better at all.

Actually, looking back at it over the last like 5 years, here is where I stood:

2015. I was on the Danny Shelton train. Still am. And I was wanting one of the WRs Agholor or Perriman over Erving. But I knew that with Farmer picking nothing like that was happening.

2014. I was all over Khalil Mack. Or Sammy Watkins. I didn't want the trade down. With the second 1st round pick I went homer wanting Bradley Roby over JFF. It was all fun and hoopla getting Johnny....but, like I said, I was more hopeful it would work out than anything.

2013. I was thinking Dee Milliner over Mingo. Either way that would have turned out bad.

2012. I was OK with the TR pick. I like most others assumed he was the real deal. With the second pick I was on Whitney Mercilus...the local boy, or Nick Perry

2011. I was on the AJ Green bandwagon. The trade down out of that didn't bother me. (Hindsight for others said we should have just taken Julio Jones. Yea, that was hindsight). But when the trade down was made, I was hoping the Browns would take Cameron Heyward, not Phil Jackson. Again, probably an OSU/homer pick for me.

So that is where I stood on the evaluations. Overall, I could have probably done better than the Browns did.

No, not really. None of you have really done better at all.

Actually, looking back at it over the last like 5 years, here is where I stood:

2015. I was on the Danny Shelton train. Still am. And I was wanting one of the WRs Agholor or Perriman over Erving. But I knew that with Farmer picking nothing like that was happening.

2014. I was all over Khalil Mack. Or Sammy Watkins. I didn't want the trade down. With the second 1st round pick I went homer wanting Bradley Roby over JFF. It was all fun and hoopla getting Johnny....but, like I said, I was more hopeful it would work out than anything.

2013. I was thinking Dee Milliner over Mingo. Either way that would have turned out bad.

2012. I was OK with the TR pick. I like most others assumed he was the real deal. With the second pick I was on Whitney Mercilus...the local boy, or Nick Perry

2011. I was on the AJ Green bandwagon. The trade down out of that didn't bother me. (Hindsight for others said we should have just taken Julio Jones. Yea, that was hindsight). But when the trade down was made, I was hoping the Browns would take Cameron Heyward, not Phil Jackson. Again, probably an OSU/homer pick for me.

So that is where I stood on the evaluations. Overall, I could have probably done better than the Browns did.

Got it, so we're better.

Archived