THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Trageting Ray Horton For Dc Lol!

ITHIKA

its a fucking downgrade from jim

Not even close.

You don't need as many yards to score when you have Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell leading the charge with Willis McGahee.

Our dick Jauron defense was at the bottom of the barrel in 2012, our Jim O'neil defense was at the bottom of the barrel in 2014 and even worse in 2015.

Overall I rate Horton as "OK" Maybe he's learned a bit more having more time with Lebeau

A big issue with our defense is everybody sucks - at least Haden and Gipson were playing like pro bowlers under Horton.

Though I still don't see why the Titans let him come to the Browns.

Though I still don't see why the Titans let him come to the Browns.

Similar to Young Shanny last year? If a coordinator asks permission to talk to another franchise about a lateral move, do you really want to keep him?

And "Horton hears a Hue" was a good one...

Similar to Young Shanny last year? If a coordinator asks permission to talk to another franchise about a lateral move, do you really want to keep him?

And "Horton hears a Hue" was a good one...

"Horton heard Who and his name was Mingo!!!"... or something. PoG said that years ago, and I have no idea why I remember that.

I forgot that the Titans are actually in the coaching hunt too, probably no problem then (although they might keep Mularkey)

Horton plays too much umbrella zone.. it puts DB's on an island to get consistently toasted.. pass...

This same generic statement was used all season to toast Pettine's "aggressive", man coverage scheme that put "DBs on an island"

Can you explain umbrella zone to us?

This same generic statement was used all season to toast Pettine's "aggressive", man coverage scheme that put "DBs on an island"

I have to explain it to you and you write for a rag like the bleacher report?... Get out of here!...

I have to explain it to you and you write for a rag like the bleacher report?... Get out of here!...

No, I no longer do contract work with B/R. But I do know very well how coverage works. I'm asking you to explain your very cliche and generic statement.

First of all, you will hear from my attorney regarding the egregious pun.

Second of all, Horton is not my favorite. I don't remember too many specifics, but what I do remember is him blitzing all the damn time and never getting it right. LMAO.

No, I no longer do contract work with B/R. But I do know very well how coverage works. I'm asking you to explain your very cliche and generic statement.

It basically means you have 3 db's back deep in coverage in Umbrella formation. It leaves a terribly wide gap in the middle of the field were the Browns get consistently torched. It puts double responsibilities on safties and DB's to police and cover the field.. As I understand it.

It can mean different things to certain people but generally umbrella coverage involves a ton of single high man or 3 shell (depending on responsibility and call) Great for Gipson, bad if your corners can't handle it.

edit: Umbrella can also refer to how players align in your front 7. I heard people use it in that regard, I've also heard them use it in regards to deploying coverage.

It can mean different things to certain people but generally umbrella coverage involves a ton of single high man or 3 shell (depending on responsibility and call) Great for Gipson, bad if your corners can't handle it.

edit: Umbrella can also refer to how players align in your front 7. I heard people use it in that regard, I've also heard them use it in regards to deploying coverage.

I was just typing the first sentence you wrote when it said "new reply". That's why I was asking for more from ol Nickers, because when I think Umbrella, I think front 7 and linebackers, and he was talking about 3 deep.

I was just typing the first sentence you wrote when it said "new reply". That's why I was asking for more from ol Nickers, because when I think Umbrella, I think front 7 and linebackers, and he was talking about 3 deep.

Like I said, it means different things for different people/coaches.

To be specific, when I think of 'umbrella' I think of a front 7 that uses multiple alignments but with single gap responsibilities to kind of disguise their looks but to keep things simple and prevent complications in calls. Typically its associated with heavy man coverage on the backend because your blitz tendencies are usually aggressive. That's not a by book definition. Come to think of it, I don't ever recall seeing a 'by book' definition. However those two things usually go hand in hand.

The only reason they would be considering Horton is that they want to stick with the majority of these players. Which i'm sorry, thats a recipe for continuing to be one of the worst defense's in the NFL. No way Horton comes here, he knows full well he'll be looking for a job again when Jackson is fired in a year or two. THe defense needs a complete overhaul, i'm sorry but it does.

I vaguely remember his defense being wounded in the 4th quarter.

Because he played the same guys all game long instead of smartly shuttling them in and out to keep them fresh... :P

Here's a trivia question:

Who was the Titans defensive coordinator at the time, when the Hoyer led Browns generated the largest come from behind victory on the road?

Read this and visions of the New England game flashed through my mind.......

Because he played the same guys all game long instead of smartly shuttling them in and out to keep them fresh... :P

Ha!.....not sure which wears em out more....playing the whole game or running on and off the field.....

Why would the Titans let him go since it'd be a lateral move?

Good point but I can prolly give us a why here.

He was so bad at trying to be Dick LeBeau in TN that they had to go out and hire the real Dick LeBeau. For example, as Canton Dawg reminded us - what DC gives up a 28-3 2nd quarter lead to the Cleveland Browns? Ray Horton in a 2 win season. Not only that but that huge lead we had on the NE Patriots in 2013 was most remembered by the pass interference on Leon McFadden being singled up outside. Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy couldn't believe our DC didn't give him any Safety help over the type on that play especially after they lost Gronk earlier in that game. This last year TN only won 3 games with the most common complaints on the Nashville radio shows hosted by Frank Wycheck (morning) and Blaine Bishop (afternoon/pm) were blown assignments and piss poor tackling throughout their 5-27 football in 2014 and 2015. That's a Bob Slowik caliber/standard for anyone that is okay with looking like an expansion team for 2 straight years.

I LOVE that we got Hue hoping he's the difference we haven't had. IMO a big part of the Groundhog's Day sequel we have going on is fed and perpetuated from a lack of attention to what got us here. To understand where you are going - you HAVE to know where you are coming from. On defense it's been chaos, confusion, and paralysis from over-analysis intercepting sic em, sock em and sack em just as much as overall talent and injury. Ray Horton might have a good idea and he's prolly even a great interview; but when it's time to teach - his students look lost on the field. As much as we want Jimmy to stay the flock out of things - I hope to God he reminds Hue of Horton's current trend of 3 years.

Archived