THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Wentz- Starts here.

hoorta

NoCal-- Luck has never played the likes of J'ville St :o.-- My only hope is if Wentz, went in past tense means been. Like Big Ben in future. If Wentz can drive the ball in the lake winds in our division, that's his advantage over Goff.

That's 1 way to look at it. Did you happened to bring this up to any of the RG3 fan club when he was getting over-hyped from heroics in a conference that doesn't play a lick of defense?

Another way to see it, if you're willing to, is Wentz hasn't had nearly as many NFL-caliber targets to throw to as Luck had. Looks like he did a great job of taking his team as far as they could go. He has a nice arm and I liked how he moved around in the pocket. I wasn't overly impressed with a lot of the WRs at the Senior Bowl which is why I try not to put too much stock in 1 game featuring QBs throwing to strangers they're not accustomed to working with. It's tough to expect great chemistry that quickly.

Canton Mike has another interesting perspective worth reading about the game plans and who's purpose they served best.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was either Polian or Mayock that said during a Senior Bowl week broadcast that... and I am paraphrasing here:

"Based on the tape I thought Wentz had a big-time, Pro arm, but then I stood on the sideline and saw that he doesn't. It's a good arm, good enough for the NFL, but not as big as I thought based upon the tape. There are many QBs that succeed in the league with lesser arms. There are more important things than arm strength."

I think it was Mayock. Glad you shared that.

That's all you here on sports talk radio and sports websites, none are NFL ready. Is it too soon to think we take a QB in the first round? We have McCown another year and he didn't suck.

It was either Polian or Mayock that said during a Senior Bowl week broadcast that... and I am paraphrasing here:

"Based on the tape I thought Wentz had a big-time, Pro arm, but then I stood on the sideline and saw that he doesn't. It's a good arm, good enough for the NFL, but not as big as I thought based upon the tape. There are many QBs that succeed in the league with lesser arms. There are more important things than arm strength."

Outch... that hurts. If he had a great arm then right now I would favor him over Goff. Goff also has a good arm.

As long as it's better than Ken Dorsey's.

That's all you here on sports talk radio and sports websites, none are NFL ready. Is it too soon to think we take a QB in the first round? We have McCown another year and he didn't suck.

But hopefully we won't be picking number two next year behind a team that doesn't need a quarterback.

And if we are no point taking one because the front office will spend the year after that packing their shit.

:)

WSS

Or just Andy Dalton's. I thought Hue was getting Dalton to the very best football of his career prior to that season ending thumb injury. The arm was way stronger than it was back when Dalton was a rookie or 2nd year starter leading his team to playoffs. As I said earlier, I think Wentz would show up with a stronger arm than Dalton began his career with.

What he gets surrounded with and how well he gets coached up will matter every bit as much as arm strength, if not more. Weeden had a bazooka but the poor guy only had 2 brain cells and they weren't on speaking terms.

I hope whoever we pick is better then Dalton. 5 years on a good team and hes still got nothing.

i think half of us would give our left nut to have been in the playoffs for so many years.

they're missing something...

great wr, great rb, good-great defense and they just can't get over the hump.

let's hope the guy we just hired wasn't the reason why.

Dalton is a good QB on a very good team. But he was never a top tier prospect and his 2nd round selection said as much. So to my mind he's basically played to his potential. It's a shame that injury kept him from seeing whether or not he was finally ready to overcome his playoff... ummmm... jitters(?).

Absolutely... and the same can be said for every QB drafted in the past 5 years save perhaps two. McC allows us the opportunity to take our time to prepare whomever we pick... up to a full year if need be.

Yes, there is a league minimum...

I wonder if it has changed much since the 80's??? I'd think so given the ever increasing size and speed of players... but then the rules have freed receivers more than ever. How would our heroes fare?

Another time... another thread..

No, I just don't think he's the best player in the nfl. He's ridiculously good but I think there are a few other players that would make more of an impact if someone were starting a franchise tomorrow from scratch. He may not even be the best defensive lineman. Aaron Donald is making that case. Espn (who I don't care for) used pff rankings to put together a list a few days ago actually. Donald was one and Antonio brown was 2.

Watt's put up PFF scores in the 100s for several years running now. They changed their grading system this year but I know the next highest graded player in 2014 was Khalil Mack with like 50....

Donald had a mid-season lull, but he did grade higher overall this year. Still, that's only one year. Watt is the best player in the league. Bar none.

I watched his first couple series and then had to go out. Have DVR'd the game for closer look tomorrow.

1st series was 3 and out... he completed one dink to Vannett. Also was run down on a scramble by DE DAY. Scramble was necessary due to sweet inside move by Spence. Day had an angle, but still was more impressed by his speed than anything Wentz did.

2nd series he ripped an out into a very tight window... it was dropped. Also a play earlier Wentz left pocket... a bit prematurely I thought, but he may have had nothing downfield.

All I saw live, but just saw a highlight where he ripped a 20-yd seam completion to Vannett later.

But again... no idea at this point whether or not the reads were correct.

How'd you hit 'em?

This was against Cover 4 with 1 MLB within 10 yards of Vannett. There was ~20 seconds left before halftime. It was a good throw, and he did look the backer and safety off the route... but it was very soft zone and not a good example of a good NFL throw.

I did like that throw that was dropped. I wouldn't say it was a very tight window, if it's the one on the sideline that would have been a first down.

I wasn't blown away by what I saw from him. Arm looked good, not great. Above average mobility, but he relied on it too much. Compact release. Hard to gleen very much from a Senior Bowl performance. The practice notes we have been reading are more important.

All in all, I don't see it at No. 2.

Just started watching some tape. Some things that stood out:

Decent accuracy on out of pocket throws

Decent but not great pocket accuracy.

A lot of read option keeps, taking a lot of hits

Questionable decision making - dumping off to a guy behind the line who is waiting to get drilled, throwing in to double coverage

Makes some nice fade/rainbow passes

"Interesting" footwork - mostly static, very wide stance and steps, sometimes crossing his feet when moving in pocket.

Will watch more and see if these things repeat or any more stand out.

Just started watching some tape. Some things that stood out:

Decent accuracy on out of pocket throws

Decent but not great pocket accuracy.

A lot of read option keeps, taking a lot of hits

Questionable decision making - dumping off to a guy behind the line who is waiting to get drilled, throwing in to double coverage

Makes some nice fade/rainbow passes

"Interesting" footwork - mostly static, very wide stance and steps, sometimes crossing his feet when moving in pocket.

Will watch more and see if these things repeat or any more stand out.

Did you actually use tape?

McC allows us the opportunity to take our time to prepare whomever we pick... up to a full year if need be.

Unfortunately Murphy's Law still applies here. He is one more concussion away from being done in the NFL and history shows he holds the ball far too long to avoid that before half the season is done. Whomever is our #2 is going out on the field at some point next season, rookie or not. Not a prediction, just about a 95% certainty. (How's that for my one shot at analytics? ;) )

Unfortunately Murphy's Law still applies here. He is one more concussion away from being done in the NFL and history shows he holds the ball far too long to avoid that before half the season is done. Whomever is our #2 is going out on the field at some point next season, rookie or not. Not a prediction, just about a 95% certainty. (How's that for my one shot at analytics? ;) )

Then we play Shaw or Austin Davis is need be. :-)

Or is this Camp Gale:

Whatever it is....it is just like a bunch of teenage chicks swooning over which boy these characters Bella/Katniss choose.

My poor daughter had to suffer through my comments in that first movie as an experienced Vietnam vet pointing out all the mistakes all the characters were making to insure their "non-survival". She would not take me to the others and I couldn't watch them anyway because the first one had so many glaring mistakes it was laughable. :ph34r::D

Funny thing is she has always told her friends that when the Apocalypse comes she's calling me to come save her. :lol:

My poor daughter had to suffer through my comments in that first movie as an experienced Vietnam vet pointing out all the mistakes all the characters were making to insure their "non-survival". She would not take me to the others and I couldn't watch them anyway because the first one had so many glaring mistakes it was laughable. :ph34r::D

Funny thing is she has always told her friends that when the Apocalypse comes she's calling me to come save her. :lol:

I pretty much liked the Hunger Games movies. 1000 times more than Twilight. Actually the last one was the worst one.

Pretty bad... an analytics guy would say "4 sigma". ;)

NFL Executive Says He Wouldn't Take Carson Wentz In Round 1
NFL.com's Lance Zierlein spoke with two NFL executives and neither were very impressed with North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz.

"One said 'Boy, that North Dakota State kid is way overrated,'" Zierlein reported on his podcast. "And the other one texted me and said 'After watching him for a full week, there is no way I would draft Carson Wentz in the first round. Now, by most media accounts, the draft media, Carson Wentz did just fine. A lot of people called him a winner of draft day. Depends on what you're looking for. But that's an example of how people can see these prospects very, very differently."

Following a strong Senior Bowl showing, it seemed like Wentz had locked up his first round draft status. That's likely still the case, as the two executives seem to be in the minority regarding Wentz.

http://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/latest-n...-and-more-26447

I just do not see a QB worth a top five or top ten pick in this draft...jmo.

Heading to pick up my pizza - sadly no alcohol for a while, loaded up all the videos of Wentz I could find that I haven't already watched.

Dedication or Dr's orders?

I keep trying to like Wentz more as it'd make draft day so much easier if I did not have a strong preference between two QBs... but so far I can't get there.

Dedication or Dr's orders?

I keep trying to like Wentz more as it'd make draft day so much easier if I did not have a strong preference between two QBs... but so far I can't get there.

The former of the two. The off-season becomes my 'in season'.

Now that I have Wentz fresh in my mind and a short checklist of things I want to compare, I'll head over to watch Goff and get some input from their 'camp' thread.

The former of the two. The off-season becomes my 'in season'.

Now that I have Wentz fresh in my mind and a short checklist of things I want to compare, I'll head over to watch Goff and get some input from their 'camp' thread.

Good to see you back and ready to go for an exciting off season ahead Tia!

Archived