THE BROWNS BOARD

Decline of the Religious Right?

jbluhm86

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The churches are always just one catastrophe away from being packed full. After 9-11 church attendance rose dramatically. Two things you can count on after a catastrophe or crisis is that all of a sudden people get *religious* immediately afterwards and after the crisis is over many will fade out of the pews (until the next catastrophe).

woody, do you know the definition of ANY term you spout off about?

I know God is there, etc.

We do not ever go to church. Religion is the practice of worshipping, especially

with groups of like faiths.

I have faith. I am not religious. You don't know the difference.

We do not ever go to church. Religion is the practice of worshipping, especially

I could be wrong but something tells me the source of woody's incredulous statement would be diehard chastising someone else for spouting hate on a msg board.

I'm guessing but I think Woody believes people will eventually evolve and turn their faith to science over faith in a Supreme Being Creator God. I don't believe that will ever happen. I don't believe we will ever live in a Star Trek type world where people have *advanced* so far they have left a *childish* belief in God.

It hasn't happened yet in 2016 and It shows no signs of ever happening. There were pronouncements that "God is dead" from people living in the 1800's and the only thing that happened was the guy who made the claim God was dead, died himself about 10 years after making that claim but God still lived on. From the beginning of human history until now there has been an almost universal belief in God.

As for religion the Christian faith is different from other religions in that Christianity is all about fellowship and relationship. It rises above religious ceremonies and rituals. It is an individual faith that is worked out personally between us and God. My brother for instance suffered from PTSD and hated to be in any place with crowds which kept him from going to church. It didn't stop him though from reading his bible daily and applying what he learned in his daily life. I remember being with him at the VA and one of the forms he had to fill out was what denomination he belonged to (he didn't belong to any). I told him just to write in Christian. In Christianity we make too much of a religion out of it when it is really a relationship. A personal individual one.

Yes yes yes. You aren't religious but you "have faith". That's just the next step. You can't take the full jump away from religion so you're going halfway. A lot of people are in that same spot.

I'm guessing but I think Woody believes people will eventually evolve and turn their faith to science over faith in a Supreme Being Creator God. I don't believe that will ever happen. I don't believe we will ever live in a Star Trek type world where people have *advanced* so far they have left a *childish* belief in God.

It hasn't happened yet in 2016 and It shows no signs of ever happening. There were pronouncements that "God is dead" from people living in the 1800's and the only thing that happened was the guy who made the claim God was dead, died himself about 10 years after making that claim but God still lived on. From the beginning of human history until now there has been an almost universal belief in God.

As for religion the Christian faith is different from other religions in that Christianity is all about fellowship and relationship. It rises above religious ceremonies and rituals. It is an individual faith that is worked out personally between us and God. My brother for instance suffered from PTSD and hated to be in any place with crowds which kept him from going to church. It didn't stop him though from reading his bible daily and applying what he learned in his daily life. I remember being with him at the VA and one of the forms he had to fill out was what denomination he belonged to (he didn't belong to any). I told him just to write in Christian. In Christianity we make too much of a religion out of it when it is really a relationship. A personal individual one.

Well,I disagree with some things in your post. I'd also like to see you post some stats to backup those statements.

Do you really think the brief in god today is as strong as it was in the 1800s? You really don't think there are more atheists?

It is pretty apparent, and data backs this up, that people are getting less religious. More people are choosing to be atheist or agnostic. And this is directly related to us being more educated as a society

I expect religion to die out in the future. There will be no place for it.

woody, we have reasons to not go/give up going to church.

I don't read the Bible anymore. I just know God is there, and knowing

who God is, I believe that Jesus really did die for us.

Religion is the practice with others. Too many others are a pain.

They like to tell you what to do.

I am not religious.

woody, we have reasons to not go/give up going to church.

I don't read the Bible anymore. I just know God is there, and knowing

who God is, I believe that Jesus really did die for us.

Religion is the practice with others. Too many others are a pain.

They like to tell you what to do.

I am not religious.

of course you aren't

Well,I disagree with some things in your post. I'd also like to see you post some stats to backup those statements.

Do you really think the brief in god today is as strong as it was in the 1800s? You really don't think there are more atheists?

It is pretty apparent, and data backs this up, that people are getting less religious. More people are choosing to be atheist or agnostic. And this is directly related to us being more educated as a society

There's way way more muslims though and it's growing quickly

With the wave of new inventions and technology in the 1800's you had some people even then who thought they were too advanced and educated to believe in God. They were making the pronouncements that God was dead. So this is nothing new that today you would have some saying the same thing. Are there more atheists today and people turning away from a faith in God than back in the 1800's? Even if you are right (and I think you are) the bible says in the end times (which I believe we are now in) there will be a great falling away from the faith. So my agreement with you is that we are seeing a falling away from the faith (as the bible predicted) but instead of this falling away leading to extinction it will last until the return of Jesus with a remnant who will not or ever fall away. If you study the bible you will see no matter what the falling away is that God always has a remnant of people who stay faithful and that is shown time after time in the bible.

With the wave of new inventions and technology in the 1800's you had some people even then who thought they were too advanced and educated to believe in God. They were making the pronouncements that God was dead. So this is nothing new that today you would have some saying the same thing. Are there more atheists today and people turning away from a faith in God than back in the 1800's? Even if you are right (and I think you are) the bible says in the end times (which I believe we are now in) there will be a great falling away from the faith. So my agreement with you is that we are seeing a falling away from the faith (as the bible predicted) but instead of this falling away leading to extinction it will last until the return of Jesus with a remnant who will not or ever fall away. If you study the bible you will see no matter what the falling away is that God always has a remnant of people who stay faithful and that is shown time after time in the bible.

Ya, if I was creating a belief to control the masses, I would make sure to add a section describing the time when people stopped believing. That would be the best way to get the remaining believers to really double down.

But the bible always has a back door, huh? You agree with me that religious beliefs are fading but then say the bible predicted it. Satan also planted those dinosaur bones, right?

Ya, if I was creating a belief to control the masses, I would make sure to add a section describing the time when people stopped believing. That would be the best way to get the remaining believers to really double down.

But the bible always has a back door, huh? You agree with me that religious beliefs are fading but then say the bible predicted it. Satan also planted those dinosaur bones, right?

The bible says in the end times right before the Lord returns there would be a great falling away from the faith. You seemed to be happy believing there are more atheists today than ever before and I was pointing out the bible says this would happen.

The bible says in the end times right before the Lord returns there would be a great falling away from the faith. You seemed to be happy believing there are more atheists today than ever before and I was pointing out the bible says this would happen.

However what you say is what bully pulpit preaches have been rambling on for many, many years. That we are in 'the end times'. Heard the same thing 20 years ago in church. Still here.

Though nobody can give a clear time frame on how long the 'end' timeline extends. That's the beauty of open ended assertations.

However what you say is what bully pulpit preaches have been rambling on for many, many years. That we are in 'the end times'. Heard the same thing 20 years ago in church. Still here.

Though nobody can give a clear time frame on how long the 'end' timeline extends. That's the beauty of open ended assertations.

I remember reading one of your posts where you seemed angry at a former pastor who said we were living in the end times and it almost seemed like you took it personally that he was either lying or didn't know what he was talking about. I never understood why you would hold that against this pastor as there are many who believe we are living in the end times by the signs of the times.

The bible says certain signs will happen showing we are living in the end times before the return of Jesus so it is not as open ended assertion as you state. One of the biggest signs was the return of the nation of Israel. This one is huge. You can say there were some Christians claiming 100 years ago or more that they were living in the end times yet the bible clearly states there is a return of the nation of Israel in the end times. The return of the nation of Israel is the biggest sign of all which is a prophecy fulfilled and all the nations that are turning on Israel today is prophecy being fulfilled in front of our eyes.

Nobody knows the exact date of the Lord's return as Jesus Himself said only the Father knew that and I have never understood how through the years we always have those who claim they know the exact date and inevitably that date comes and goes and they were wrong. Why would any Christian think they know more than Jesus about this?

I believe we are living in the end times by looking at the signs we were told to look for in the bible which is what I'm sure your former pastor was doing as well.

I've heard a figure that there's 1.6 billion muslims in the world and growing and yet it is only the second biggest religion after christianity which claims 2.2 billion. That's 3.8 billion not counting jews which is another 14 million. That's not counting Hindus and sikhs and various other religions. That accounts for more than 4 billion people out of a total 6.9 billion so despite certain people's wishes religion is doing fine and will not be supplanted by athiesm anytime soon.

I've heard a figure that there's 1.6 billion muslims in the world and growing and yet it is only the second biggest religion after christianity which claims 2.2 billion. That's 3.8 billion not counting jews which is another 14 million. That's not counting Hindus and sikhs and various other religions. That accounts for more than 4 billion people out of a total 6.9 billion so despite certain people's wishes religion is doing fine and will not be supplanted by athiesm anytime soon.

While I agree with the numbers for classification purposes I think they are misleading in terms of practitioners. While I was baptized and confirmed in the Roman Catholic faith, attend mass for Christmas, weddings and funerals, I'm far from a practitioner.

Archived