THE BROWNS BOARD

The Lions sign Marvin Jones for 8 million a year

Alkid3

We have good kick returners and Benji wasnt one of them.....Moore and Gilbert do that quite well and Benji only did it in 2014 and was terrible(20 yd average).....Heck, Gilbert was one of the best in the league, so Id expect to see more of that with Hue....

Sorry, Moore sucked ass. Didn't see much of Gilbert returning kicks.....so I do think he should....at least get some use out of his sorry ass.

Punt returns?....yeah, benji was pretty good there, but lets be honest, the difference between the top punt returners and middle of the pack guys is about 3 yards per return(tops)....or less than 5 yards per game avg....so, its not that big of a deal really....

Still, need a guy that could take it all the way....like Benji did. Something certainly Moore could not do.

Moore was 25.7, which is middle of the pack...not great, but not sucked ass either......Gilbert was much better...

And Moore is not a punt returner....just like Benji is not a kick returner....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are fucked

? Losing out on Jones, and Benji going to the Chargers? Let's take this a step at a time. RE: Jones, as others have opined, Detroit could afford to overpay for Jones with Megatron's $11 million coming off the books. RE: Benji- do you think adding him to the Chargers is going to be the piece that lets them overtake the Raiders, not to mention Denver? Don't think so. Hey, if we're gonna suck in 2016, let's suck real bad- so we have another top 5 pick in 2017.

Shamu is a mean run blocker.

He eats up the opposition. :)

FA isn't over yet.... btw and it sounds like Jones wanted to go to a winning team. whatever.

Winning team? Detroit?

We always do this, a dude plays his ass off for us and we don't reward him. The one thing Cleveland could say is that we're loyal to our players that "play like a Brown".

"Pay like a Brown?"

He signed for $8 million....you think he's worth that?.....top 20 money?....should we have paid him 10 mil?

$8mm for a top tier WR2 is not unreasonable... $10 would be.

Does anybody know what we offered Benji? I mean $8m isn't that bad for him. I would say between 6-7 but considering what we paid Bowe...who's gone, that wouldn't have broken us especially with our cap space. Relying on Gordon to be our go to guy next year is absurd. He's one more strike from bagging groceries. We saw what Benjamin could do when he had time with one QB. But like I said before, there's more to this than "just" his output. He came across like a guy that really wanted to be in Cleveland. So unless I hear we offered him between 7-8 and he bolted for a couple extra bucks...I think it was a bad job out of us to let him walk. If we offered him like 4m or something than you can't blame him for walking. Detroit obviously thinks that with Stafford throwing to him he'll do something. We shall see.

It seemed to me that Benjamin wanted to be a Brown for life, same with DQ. We dont' get that a lot. Cribbs was really that last guy. The guys you can see being on Cleveland local programming about the Browns long after they retire.....those guys we need to take care of. They build true Brown legacy. It really pisses me off we've never let Bernie have more influence within the organization. The guy still bleeds Cleveland. Plus he seems to have had much better draft plans the last couple years. We couldn't be worse.

In the words of Ted Cruz... "Breathe.... breathe..."

why because i'd like to see the Browns build a base of players that like Cleveland and want to play here potentially their whole careers and 'gasp" settle down here? All these years of watching guys half ass their way through a season collecting some of the highest pay checks in the league, remember our defense was the highest paid overall defense in the league (a fact that blew my mind wide open given some of the contracts out there to guys like Suh), you're not bothered by the fact that not only do we tend to toss those guys...we don't even replace them with anything better and often we end up having to replace them with older higher priced replacements....this sits well with you? DQ, Ward, Cribbs, Benji....all guys that actually did play like a Brown.

I'm not disturbed by any of our 2016 FA losses so far...

Losing DQ, TJ, Cribbs also caused me no issues...

Overpaying DA was one of the last times I was deeply upset by a FA move we made... especially when it was not followed up by trading him.

Correction: Signing Delhomme came after re-signing DA...

All these years of watching guys half ass their way through a season collecting some of the highest pay checks in the league, remember our defense was the highest paid overall defense in the league (a fact that blew my mind wide open given some of the contracts out there to guys like Suh)

Exactly....we've been paying too much for too little.....for too long...

Looks like this FO plans to stop that trend....

Its not as if we had the best defensive player...or even close....just a bunch of middle of the pack guys, with all-pro type contracts....

Glad we're taking a stand.....and $8 mil to Benji would have been more of the same....

Bottom line....if they REALLY want to be Browns for life, they'll sign for a reasonable price, instead of demanding more than they are worth.....and if they leave for a few extra bucks, then they weren't committed to begin with....lots of top tier stars even take less to stay with their teams and help them to grow....Joe Thomas is an example.....

Browns just offered Scwartz more than any other team did, then he wants to go back to Atl and use our offer to renegotiate with them???.....thats why they pulled it and why he clearly didnt want to be here....otherwise he signs.....

We have a team full of average players....none of these guys will make or break us....period...

why because i'd like to see the Browns build a base of players that like Cleveland and want to play here potentially their whole careers and 'gasp" settle down here? All these years of watching guys half ass their way through a season collecting some of the highest pay checks in the league, remember our defense was the highest paid overall defense in the league (a fact that blew my mind wide open given some of the contracts out there to guys like Suh), you're not bothered by the fact that not only do we tend to toss those guys...we don't even replace them with anything better and often we end up having to replace them with older higher priced replacements....this sits well with you? DQ, Ward, Cribbs, Benji....all guys that actually did play like a Brown.

I think you put your finger on what is bothering me about today. We say we want to retain these guys, but then we just let them go with seemingly no plan to replace the quality. How can you build if you don't really keep building blocks?

"Slip sliding away, slip sliding away

You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away"

Cmon guys....sheesh....Benji is not a building block....and Mack was gone no matter what....and now we made the best offer to Schwartz and he's still got eyes elsewhere....

What are they supposed to do....cause the only option "appears" to be WAY overpay.....is that really a solution?...

How about we just sign guys who WANT to be here, instead of overpaying for douche bags who dont....eh????

Cmon guys....sheesh....Benji is not a building block....and Mack was gone no matter what....and now we made the best offer to Schwartz and he's still got eyes elsewhere....

What are they supposed to do....cause the only option "appears" to be WAY overpay.....is that really a solution?...

How about we just sign guys who WANT to be here, instead of overpaying for douche bags who dont....eh????

Thanks Mud for hittin the nail on the head! Just keep hammering!!!

Maybe we should have rewarded then by paying more than they expected before FA started Monday. Reward the loyalty of wanting to be here. Probably would not have kept Mack but it might have worked with the other 3. The analytics guys should have figured out that it's a sellers market and we are the buyers.

Thanks Mud for hittin the nail on the head! Just keep hammering!!!

Ha!...you're welcome....Im getting pretty used to swimming against the tide around here.....

Honestly...you'd think we were losing 4 pro bowlers and our whole future here.....I think Cleveland fans maybe have forgotten what a really good player actually looks like....

Hell....in 2013, Gordon had 3 games in a row that added up to more yards than Benji had in 3 years....seriously...

Maybe we should have rewarded then by paying more than they expected before FA started Monday. Reward the loyalty of wanting to be here. Probably would not have kept Mack but it might have worked with the other 3.

I think we tried and they just wanted to wait and go for the big $$$.....

Exactly....we've been paying too much for too little.....for too long...

I just saw a list of the teams that have spent the most on UFA's in the past 10 years... We were #6 with $500mm spent...

Hell....in 2013, Gordon had 3 games in a row that added up to more yards than Benji had in 3 years....seriously...

IKR... Just flashed his career stats on ESPN... with a little luck he'll pass 1000-yds receiving this year.

Archived