THE BROWNS BOARD

Winslow now highest-paid tight end in NFL history.

flipflop

Bucs’ Winslow agrees to contract extension

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer 10 minutes ago

Buzz up! 0 votes

Print

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—Kellen Winslow and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed Monday to a six-year, $36.1 million contract extension that will make the one-time Pro Bowl selection the highest-paid tight end in NFL history.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said the deal includes $20.1 million guaranteed, a record for a tight end. With incentives, it could be worth up to $42.1 million.

Contract talks began soon after the Feb. 27 trade that sent Winslow, who participated in the Bucs’ voluntary minicamp last week, to Tampa Bay from Cleveland in exchange for a second-round pick in this year’s draft and a fifth-rounder in 2010.

“The Bucs were open to something long-term,” Rosenhaus said. “It’s nice to get it done.”

Winslow was the sixth overall pick in the 2004 draft, and his career has been marked by plenty of highs, lows and controversy.

The 25-year-old had 219 receptions for 2,459 yards and 11 touchdowns in five seasons with the Browns, and the Bucs are counting on him to play a major role in an overhauled offense next season.

Winslow had 89 catches for 875 yards and three touchdowns in 2006 and followed with 82 receptions for 1,106 yards in 2007. He survived a serious motorcycle accident and battled injuries throughout his stay in Cleveland, and last season squabbled with the Browns’ front office.

The Bucs fired coach Jon Gruden in January after losing their last four games to miss the playoffs following a 9-3 start. Upgrading the offense has been the top priority under successor Raheem Morris, who brought in former Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski as his offensive coordinator.

In addition to trading for Winslow, the Bucs placed the franchise tag on receiver Antonio Bryant, assuring him a salary of $9.8 million next season, and signed former New York Giants running back Derrick Ward to a four-year, $17 million contract.

Tampa Bay also decided against retaining quarterback Jeff Garcia, leaving Luke McCown, Brian Griese and Josh Johnson to compete for the starting job. Garcia signed with Oakland on Monday.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:blink:

IMO, this is untold amounts of stupidity by Tampa... but that's just me.

Just imagine what 36.1 million could do elsewhere.... like helping out school systems or funding anti-cancer research grants, instead of Kellen's greedy hands. But then again, thats the entertainment business. :rolleyes:

s is just my opinion, but shouldn't we be paying that to the real soldiers of america? just a thought.

You just opened up a can of worms........

Yep.. But people will pay the crazy ticket prices to see their teams play and as long as they do, owners and teams will pay the players.

It's really sad. I would love to go to a Browns game. Never have. Been a huge fan all my life. Having a family, I can't justify the ticket prices. And with the way the players behave... Do I really want to support them?

Here goes an exercise in futility, attempting to communicate with the being known as lumbergh.

Question: Is there any non-DA player on the Browns you actually like?

Serious question.

of course there are shit-for-brains. Ryan Tucker might be my favorite.

How about you? Let me guess, you like everybody but BQ's mortal enemies Anderson and Shaun Smith? Right?

Hell jhea nugga. Pay the man. You Brownies are gonna eat crow, you watch.

First off the Browns made a business decision, they got something for him while they could. They came out ahead, they are not worried about what he does from here out. They are worried about his replacement.

So are the Browns going to laugh if he does not make it till say next year? NO they are running a business. They weigh the risks and rewards lose on some win on others.

A great coach once said don't worry about who you passed up and how they do in the NFL, worry about how the ones that you do sign does in the NFL. or something to that effect.(don't remember who)

First off the Browns made a business decision, they got something for him while they could. They came out ahead, they are not worried about what he does from here out. They are worried about his replacement.

So are the Browns going to laugh if he does not make it till say next year? NO they are running a business. They weigh the risks and rewards lose on some win on others.

A great coach once said don't worry about who you passed up and how they do in the NFL, worry about how the ones that you do sign does in the NFL. or something to that effect.(don't remember who)

You're the aforementioned Brownies! If I was addressing your front office the message would have been sent elsewhere. :P

As far as them coming out ahead, didn't the previous Butch Davis regime trade about 3 picks to move up one spot to get him? Pretty desperate, and no way they came close to breaking even. Not after they lost two whole years of production from him. The time is now. Hahaha!

You're the aforementioned Brownies! If I was addressing your front office the message would have been sent elsewhere. :P

As far as them coming out ahead, didn't the previous Butch Davis regime trade about 3 picks to move up one spot to get him? Pretty desperate, and no way they came close to breaking even. Not after they lost two whole years of production from him. The time is now. Hahaha!

so how does our past coaches mistake somehow make the amount paid to Winslow now.....after we've aready ran him into the ground.....not ridiculous. you gave 20 million to a kid that gonna cut and run with it after a season.

im still trying to grip your angle here.......we made a mistake taking this kid.....he ruined himself thru stupidity, so we let him go. you're infinitely superior FO then gives him what he wants, despite the fact he's a broken down old mule.....and you think coming in here bragging about it is gonna chafe our collective ass?

you're stupider than i initially gave you credit for. good luck finding a QB that can get him the ball.....

so how does our past coaches mistake somehow make the amount paid to Winslow now.....after we've aready ran him into the ground.....not ridiculous. you gave 20 million to a kid that gonna cut and run with it after a season.

im still trying to grip your angle here.......we made a mistake taking this kid.....he ruined himself thru stupidity, so we let him go. you're infinitely superior FO then gives him what he wants, despite the fact he's a broken down old mule.....and you think coming in here bragging about it is gonna chafe our collective ass?

you're stupider than i initially gave you credit for. good luck finding a QB that can get him the ball.....

I fly no Tampa colors, just the rainbow variety.

I feel Kellen will produce more than any of you sour grapes Brownies are giving him credit for.

And, you assume more than I initially gave you credit for.

Wanna put him up against Royals in a little bet for '09?

I think kw2s knees will hold out long enough to make mankok look like idiots to browns fans but hold on folks they arent done cleaning the pantry of our best stuff and giving it away cheap while replacing those goods with expired white label junk..;)

You do realize that most Browns fans loved KW it is just he is damaged goods and not worth the risk of giving him the size of contract that he was going to want if we had kept him and had to redo his contract during contract talks. It is not that we did not or do not like him, just it is a risk versus reward thing.

"As far as them coming out ahead, didn't the previous Butch Davis regime trade about 3 picks to move up one spot to get him? Pretty desperate, and no way they came close to breaking even. Not after they lost two whole years of production from him. The time is now. Hahaha!"

So what does not matter what they gave up to get him. The fact remains giving him a big contract with so much guarenteed money is way more risky then just trading him getting something in return from him while he still can get value, How much value would he have if he got hurt this year and was done. Or we keep him, he does really good, then we reward him with the contract that he wants then he gets hurt. RISK VS REWARD nothing personal.

Personally he could have been one of the best TE's ever had he not gotten injured, then gotten stupid

neither you nor Flugel know what anybody's doing,

NFL coaches seem to agree with me.

Pot. This is kettle. You're black.

Dude you don't seem to realize that nobody wants DA. There is not talk of any teams wanting him over Quinn. All of the football talk on all of the sites, radio stations, and NFL TV shows speak to teams wanting Quinn. Not DA.

Damn you're just too dense.

Pretty desperate, and no way they came close to breaking even.

You could say that about the Bucs now.

Tony Gonzales

Jason Witten

Antonio Gates

Owen Daniels

Dallas Clark

Kellen Winslow

Of these top TE's, what has their team done in the playoffs? Besides Dallas Clark, absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Having a player like Winslow is a luxury, something the Bucs don't have.

As far as them coming out ahead, didn't the previous Butch Davis regime trade about 3 picks to move up one spot to get him? Pretty desperate, and no way they came close to breaking even

Are you fooking seriously pulling out that card? This from a team who gave Two 1sts and Two 2nds for a coach they just fired? Yeah, don't think they came out ahead on that trade, and they still haven't recovered from that stupidity.

Archived