THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Look Seriously at WR

The Gipper

What serious thing did Gordon do wrong? Smoke a little weed.

FYI, in my position I punish people for doing weed....at least for possessing it. The consequences? A $75.00 fine.

I Ohio this may even go by the wayside perhaps as soon as next year. Yet the NFL thinks it is so serious that it costs a guy 2 years of his career.

I predict that within a few years the NFL will not even test for pot.

Agreed. These guys already saying he lacks passion for the game. Is a knucklehead. Get red ass because he hangs out with JM. Yet so does Von Miller. And he's a pretty alright player I guess.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also agree... or at least hope Gip is right about the continued move towards legalization.

One thing that has emerged is player use of THC as an aid in their weekly recovery from game days' inevitable sprains and pains.

Taylor Gabriel was a tremendous disappointment last season, and this after he showed so much promise his rookie season. He didn't get open, never made the big play, and just didn't get it done. I also believe he had a few killer drops, but I could be mistaken.

Andrew Hawkins wasn't the same either, and I'm not sure if it was because of injuries or what, but he just couldn't recapture the magic. He's small and no spring chicken. I would tab him and Gabriel as the most likely guys to be let go. Both our little guys MUST show something in OTA's in order to make the roster.

Not sure about Gabe... feel he is simply not the talent we had believed, but I think Hawk really missed a #1 WR, which in 2014 was Miles Austin by default. Plus Hawk was the kind of quick, precise, short-area WR Hoyer needed to be effective.

Garbriel - poor man's andrew hawkins. Keep one, but not both. I'm guessing he ends up odd man out (one of many probably) when it comes to roster cuts. Too many shifty slot guys around to keep him as well.

Hawkins over Gabriel. Don't know if we keep both Hawk and Hartline ... if there is a lot of growth with Pryor, one of them is probably gone as well.

1. Coleman

2. Hartline 3. Hawkins 4. Gabriel

5. Moore 6. Pryor

7. Louis 8. Payton 9. Higgins

If we keep six then I need to cut one of row 2, one of row 3, and one of row four goes to IR or practice squad

1. Coleman

2. Hartline 3. Hawkins 4 Gabriel

4. Moore 5 Pryor

5. Louis 6. Payton 9 Higgins

Jennings in the mix too. I am keeping Moore for special teams, and he was OK as a receiver when he played too. Now if Pryor comes on, that would seemingly be curtains for another veteran, Hartline or Hawkins.

If we keep all the rookies and everyone stays healthy, it is a crowded house, perhaps only two veterans (rows 2 and 3) survive.

Z

Going to go with this draft's youth... no reason not to. Plus a couple vets with concussion issues in 2015 are a reason to do so. So start with the new 4 plus 2... likely one of the taller persuasion and one of the diminutive variety.

Of the former...

• Big issue I see with Pryor is crispness of his cuts... harder for tall, lanky WRs and even harder for ones who are also long striders.
  • Hartline might stick as the "veteran presence".

Of the latter...

• I think Gabe and Jennings are basically the same player, but Jennings to my eye seems more "electric".
  • I don't see STs helping Moore enough as we have younger options.
  • Missing half of 2015 does not bode well for Hawk.

I seem to remember someone here wanting to trade Hawk after his "breakout" year in 2014. Damn that guy is prescient... :)

One thing to remember for Pryor is his familiarity with Hue Jackson's offense and ability to be an emergency QB. I'm betting if he makes the roster we only carry 2 QBs, Griffin and Kessler. It would also mean probably seven receivers.

One thing to remember for Pryor is his familiarity with Hue Jackson's offense and ability to be an emergency QB. I'm betting if he makes the roster we only carry 2 QBs, Griffin and Kessler. It would also mean probably seven receivers.

Well he has spoken highly of Pryor in the past. I wonder why his quarterback Whispering skills failed in that particular instance.

WSS

Well he has spoken highly of Pryor in the past. I wonder why his quarterback Whispering skills failed in that particular instance.

WSS

Perhaps Pryor's downturn at the QB spot came after Jackson left the Raiders. I think that is the case.

I know you guys hate it when I talk football, but bear with me, then I will go back to blending football with Ghoulardi and pissing you pussies off.

I am also one who believe pot is a an absolutely banal, idiotic, meaningless substance to even give a flying fuck about. I never used it, although I took I hit maybe 3 times in my life. I smoke cigars, so it isn't like I am some fucking prude. I just don't think pot is a big deal. A lot of my college buddies were pot heads and not one of them "gateway'd into more powerful drugs.

Even if Gordon played for the Steelers, I would view this as him getting fucked.

There is absolutely no correlation between a man's recreational activities and his job. This fucking nation has gone nuts with liberal political correctness.

Liberal? They are the ones trying to get the stuff legalized. It is the reactionary, rightwing, redneck Retards who are holding back legalization and imposing these absurd workplace rules for people whom it doesn't matter. Its not like these guys are airline pilots, bus drivers, emts, cops, etc. all of which is understandable. These are entertainers.

Maybe we should ban Ty Cobb and Ruth for being known drunks? What about a guy who cheats on his wife? I am sure the NFL is full of those. I hope many who fuck Godells whore wife. But I digress.

I find the entire drug thing to be hypocrisy. There is no way any athlete in the NFL can compete without enhancing drugs. Steroids are no longer needed as you can get a direct injection of T, which is the point of steroids.

Let these mother fuckers play football. Let them juice, let them get high, let them fuck each other in the ass until their homosexual, perverted cocks rot off. Who cares? They get paid to play football.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with you.

I said it before and will say it again. The ancient Romans had professional sports down to perfection. The Gladiator got riches, accolades, pussy and respect. Once he got slow and old, he became sport and drew cheers as he took his turn getting fucked up. Caesar never asked a gladiator to represent the city.

Let Gordon play.

Perhaps Pryor's downturn at the QB spot came after Jackson left the Raiders. I think that is the case.

Not likely since Pryor has never taken a snap for Hue... either as OC or HC.

OK, I knew that Hue was HC for the Raiders and that Pryor played for the Raiders. Wasn't sure what the timing was on that.

Pryor was on the roster all year, but was red-shirted behind Campbell/Palmer with the the legendary Kyle Boller as the #2.

Don't feel like reading all of this.

Best case scenario: We have Calvin Johnson (Josh Gordon), AJ Green (Terrelle Pryor), and Antonio Brown (Corey Coleman).

Worst case scenario: We have Josh Gordon, Terrelle Pryor and Corey Coleman.

Only been said about three times so far in this thread...

What serious thing did Gordon do wrong? Smoke a little weed.

FYI, in my position I punish people for doing weed....at least for possessing it. The consequences? A $75.00 fine.

I Ohio this may even go by the wayside perhaps as soon as next year. Yet the NFL thinks it is so serious that it costs a guy 2 years of his career.

I predict that within a few years the NFL will not even test for pot.

So you work to make sure laws (rules) are followed and you're giving a 2 thumbs up for a guy who consistently doesn't want to follow rules he promised/agreed to abide by? Very interesting...

The prerequisite in pertinence to Josh Gordon's unique NFL situation is this: From day 1 of NFL career, there will be consistent drug testing to show everyone just how much he values his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. chance Cleveland has given him after he couldn't make good on his 2nd chance at Baylor. During his most recent suspension, he was hanging out with Manziel who is best known for his drug addictions and guess what? More alibis and excuses required for another recent disappointing urine sample. Prior to Manziel, wasn't there a buddy in Josh's car that stored a big bag of weed in Josh's glove compartment? When his reckless driving over the speed limit looked like an ad for Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" movie - the police decided to ticket him only for exceeding the speed. Let me guess, this bag was only going to be second hand smoke for any upcoming urine tests?

He's played 5 games since his dream season in 2013. He joined a 6-4 football team in progress to help it get to 7-4 before we saw an unmotivated version the next 4 games that included quitting on routes when he wasn't the primary receiver, not knowing the play book and off the field actions/priorities that prompted the staff to suspend him for the final game. Did he commit murder or rape? No. Neither did Brandon Weeden - doesn't mean I want to count on him. Did Gordon look like the football 1st kind of guy he assured us he'd be when he got his NEXT chance to take a team that was already pleasantly surprising people in 2014 to the next level? You tell me...

Early on, I wanted Josh to get a chance here. I also couldn't wait to see the "better than ever" version he guaranteed we'd see when he got his next chance in 2014 so it isn't like I wasn't willing to give him 2nd and 3rd chances here. He's had 2 dirty urine samples we know of since the NFL cut his full season suspension in 2014 short by 6 games. When he continued to corner his NFL career into a tiny margin of error, it was time to make sure he knew what he can and can't have prior to urine tests around the corner. To continue reading excuses, alibis and conspiracy theories is a distraction this team doesn't need any more. In 4 years here - he's had 1 memorable season in 2013 after missing week 1 with a suspension of course. The original idea of Josh never lived up to the reality of him.

I'm glad this regime wants good character guys that prioritize football.

So you work to make sure laws (rules) are followed and you're giving a 2 thumbs up for a guy who consistently doesn't want to follow rules he promised/agreed to abide by? Very interesting...

The prerequisite in pertinence to Josh Gordon's unique NFL situation is this: From day 1 of NFL career, there will be consistent drug testing to show everyone just how much he values his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. chance Cleveland has given him after he couldn't make good on his 2nd chance at Baylor. During his most recent suspension, he was hanging out with Manziel who is best known for his drug addictions and guess what? More alibis and excuses required for another recent disappointing urine sample. Prior to Manziel, wasn't there a buddy in Josh's car that stored a big bag of weed in Josh's glove compartment? When his reckless driving over the speed limit looked like an ad for Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" movie - the police decided to ticket him only for exceeding the speed. Let me guess, this bag was only going to be second hand smoke for any upcoming urine tests?

He's played 5 games since his dream season in 2013. He joined a 6-4 football team in progress to help it get to 7-4 before we saw an unmotivated version the next 4 games that included quitting on routes when he wasn't the primary receiver, not knowing the play book and off the field actions/priorities that prompted the staff to suspend him for the final game. Did he commit murder or rape? No. Neither did Brandon Weeden - doesn't mean I want to count on him. Did Gordon look like the football 1st kind of guy he assured us he'd be when he got his NEXT chance to take a team that was already pleasantly surprising people in 2014 to the next level? You tell me...

Early on, I wanted Josh to get a chance here. I also couldn't wait to see the "better than ever" version he guaranteed we'd see when he got his next chance in 2014 so it isn't like I wasn't willing to give him 2nd and 3rd chances here. He's had 2 dirty urine samples we know of since the NFL cut his full season suspension in 2014 short by 6 games. When he continued to corner his NFL career into a tiny margin of error, it was time to make sure he knew what he can and can't have prior to urine tests around the corner. To continue reading excuses, alibis and conspiracy theories is a distraction this team doesn't need any more. In 4 years here - he's had 1 memorable season in 2013 after missing week 1 with a suspension of course. The original idea of Josh never lived up to the reality of him.

Tom,

Thanks for solidifying my case. The pot smoking thing can be debated until the cows come home, but the JG's failure to learn the playbook (in all those weeks off), quitting on his Team by taking those plays off (1-4 record AFTER he came back), & breaking Team rules cannot. These are not qualities I want in a unit leader, which is what Josh should be given all these rookie WRs.

We'll see what happens, but JG is hardly a proven, positive Team member.

Mike

Again, I enforce laws.....I do not enforce workplace rules. Workplace rules....to me should be in place to protect the worker, fellow workers and the general public. The NFL rules do none of this. The ONLY reason they are in place is due to the desire to control the behavior of their employees and/or perhaps as some sort of public relations tool to show how big bad and tough the NFL is on people who smoke dope.

I for one do NOT believe that if a player has smoked a little dope that it will somehow destroy his ability to effectively do his job. Of course, there are levels. Someone with a basic hardcore drug addiction could have that happen. When Brett Favre was an admitted addict to vicodin, he didn't miss a game. Vicodin is a much worse drug to have a hold of you than is marijuana. But at times the NFL has passed that shit out like candy.

So, again, to me, it is pure public relations.

I will tell you......Josh Gordon has been on suspension purely for public relations value....NOTHING more.

Did Gordon have a problem coming back? Yes.....but I attribute that more to his time off than on doing mj.

If doing a little dope qualifies as having bad character......then 95% of Congress and the cabinet would have to be put on suspension

Again, I enforce laws.....I do not enforce workplace rules. Workplace rules....to me should be in place to protect the worker, fellow workers and the general public. The NFL rules do none of this. The ONLY reason they are in place is due to the desire to control the behavior of their employees and/or perhaps as some sort of public relations tool to show how big bad and tough the NFL is on people who smoke dope.

I for one do NOT believe that if a player has smoked a little dope that it will somehow destroy his ability to effectively do his job. Of course, there are levels. Someone with a basic hardcore drug addiction could have that happen. When Brett Favre was an admitted addict to vicodin, he didn't miss a game. Vicodin is a much worse drug to have a hold of you than is marijuana. But at times the NFL has passed that shit out like candy. So, again, to me, it is pure public relations. - Gipper

Josh Gordon's situation isn't about what YOU believe or WANT to believe. If there was ever a time to get what was at stake - it SHOULD have been the millisecond Cleveland gave him the chance he begged for behind the plastic sincerity he was sorry for what he did at Baylor. Instead, we've been experiencing 4 years of a guy that understood he was to be tested frequently who has not been able to refrain from multiple suspensions regardless of excuses and weak alibis. Brett Favre didn't lose his DI scholarship to drugs so he entered the NFL with the same random drug testing perks that most draftees and players have today.

I will tell you......Josh Gordon has been on suspension purely for public relations value....NOTHING more.

Did Gordon have a problem coming back? Yes.....but I attribute that more to his time off than on doing mj. - Gipper

Wrong. He's failing drug tests per the situation he's put himself in. In 2014, he got the pleasant surprise of getting his full season of suspension reduced by 6 games. You're explaining that like I'd expect the CEO of Dial-An-Excuse to.

If doing a little dope qualifies as having bad character......then 95% of Congress and the cabinet would have to be put on suspension - Gipper

It certainly sheds light on why nothing seems to be getting accomplished from the bi-partisan brats in charge of this country today. If we suspended 95% of the unmotivated Govt leaders not prioritizing their position - we might be able to see the progress they've been obstructing all this time. Great idea Gipper!

I know college stats don't accurately project ahead. That said, I still have a fascination to see if I can find some things our WR Corps lacked. Let's look at the guys we drafted to play WR:

Corey Coleman, 5'10" 194 lbs:

2013 13 G 35 REC 527 YDS 15.1 YPC 2 TDS

2014 10 G 64 REC 1119 YDS 17.5 YPC 11 TDS

2015 12 G 74 REC 1363 YDS 18.4 YPC 22 TDS

Greg Pruitt had the same compact build with explosiveness and speed that could score from anywhere on the field. The reason I bring that up is he SHOULD be a lot tougher to press cover than Taylor Gabriel or even Travis Benjamin. For a team that can't score TDs with any degree of regularity from the WR position - 33 TDs in 2 years forecasts some groinal warming in Cleveland. Gary Barnidge has to like the Safety attention he'll attract.

Rashard Higgins, 6'2" 190 lbs:

2013 14 G 68 REC 837 YDS 12.3 YPC 6 TDS

2014 12 G 96 REC 1750 YDS 18.2 YPC 17 TDS

2015 12 G 75 REC 1062 YDS 14.2 YPC 8 TDS

*** Lost Head Coach Jim McElwain to Florida and QB Garrett Grayson to the NFL before the 2015 season.

Jordan Payton, 6'1" 212 lbs:

2013 12 G 38 REC 440 YDS 11.6 YPC 1 TD

2014 13 G 67 REC 954 YDS 14.2 YPC 7 TDS

2015 13 G 78 REC 1105 YDS 14.2 YPC 5 TDS

Now that we've been informed a couple black Fran Tarkentons exist - I wouldn't mind seeing a black Brian Brennan built a few inches taller and 25-30 pounds heavier than the original.

Ricardo Lewis, 6'2" 215 lbs:

2013 14 G 28 REC 325 YDS 11.6 YPC 2 TDS

2014 12 G 21 REC 261 YDS 12.4 YPC 3 TDS

2015 13 G 46 REC 716 YDS 15.6 YPC 3 TDS

Why do I get the feeling he'll be our next Johnson Bademosi on Special Teams? That wouldn't suck but we didn't even have to draft Bademosi or Josh Cribbs. Special Teams was the biggest reason Marlon Moore kept a job here last year (and something tells me he wasn't ever drafted either). I'm sure Hue will find a wrinkle or 2 in the offense that fits Ricardo's size and fitness. For example, he had a big long walk off TD reception against somebody important like LSU in the SEC.

Seth DeValve, 6'4" 245 lbs:

2013 9 G 49 REC 527 YDS 10.8 YPC 4 TDS

2014 3 G 19 REC 243 YDS 12.8 YPC 1 TD

2015 5 G 33 REC 337 YDS 10.2 YPC 1 TD

Prince Tone looks like his football ahead has really excited our Harvard alumns in the FO. He's got the size and athleticism to be helpful in the red zone where our WR Corps has been pretty non-competitive in the last 2 years.

Don't know why we need a million other pages, then.

What are you complaining about? You didn't read any of them in the first place.

That said, I'll try. Because Josh Gordon has only played 5 football games since 2013 regardless of how much some guys want to celebrate the endless skipping record. Tommy Chong was as useful to the Cleveland Browns in 2015 as Josh Gordon - but I promise not to forget how talented Gordon looked way back in 2013. In addition, Pryor missed most of last season due to being cut until there was only a couple weeks left where we were informed he wasn't ready for games yet. More specifically, the last regime wasted 1 full year of potential WR development for this guy so in 2016 he's starts out like a rookie WR learning a brand new offense for his new position. Does this put him ahead of the rookie WRs that have started the last 3 years at Wide Receiver? I'm not so sure.

Obviously there's more to discuss than remaining stuck on pause. This regime feels that their WR Corps is pretty important to competing in a passing era and some of us are excited to talk about it.

The Browns need to pull off a trade. Michael Flyod could be gotten if the Browns want to pull the trigger. He could be the #1 receiver.

I like it, but who do they need at what position? There's got to be a move coming, if & when Gordon is allowed back? Nobody's trading for Gordon imo. He should be free (except from himself)

The Browns need to pull off a trade. Michael Flyod could be gotten if the Browns want to pull the trigger. He could be the #1 receiver.

He related to Marty McFly-od?

Pryor will make this roster - he's far too good of an athlete not to.

The rookies will make the roster ahead of the "veteran" guys.. no need to pay more for the same skill set. Hawkins will get traded for a draft pick to some team that has a WR pop something in camp, Hartline/Gabriel/Moore will get cut.

If Gordon isn't training hard now, he won't make the roster if/when he returns.

So with Hartline dearly departed here is my new projection:

I am promoting Rashard "Hollywood" Higgins to the first team due his college production, his hair, and his sunglasses.

p3475.jpg8866740.jpg

WR1: Coleman

WR2: Higgins

Slot: Hawkins

Bench: Pryor, Louis, Payton, Moore

Cut: Gabriel, Jennings, everybody else.

Archived