THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Day 1 Thoughts

Tour2ma

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Paxton a lot but what good is drafting a guy to sit for two years. Anyway the Browns need more wide receivers. At 32 I'm sticking with Michael Thomas, and then in the third round Kevin Hogan & another wide reciever plus a safety.

So nice to see a bloke so emotional, after being drafted.

What's nice is seeing people bag out a bloke who hasn't played a game.

Give Coleman a fucking chance, whingers like you pricks are what is wrong with this organisation.

what is a whinger? Is that some british term?

I sort of cheated because it was rumored on a couple of sports websites. And although I don't take rumors seriously...we're talking about the Browns. But Hogan wouldn't be a bad pick since we have so many! Some say he's not big enough so I have to wonder, he's 6'3" over 200.

Coleman was a great pick for the Browns, the due is a PLAYMAKER. He knows how to get the ball in the end zone. Now second round do you double dip and take Thomas withe 32nd pick, or Bell Safety...IMO the best QB in the draft is the kid from Penn State. 3rd round ?? Find out tomorrow

Been watching this Coleman film for 3 minutes.

This kid owes Art Briles his Shmucking signing bonus. The offense gives him so many 1 on 1 looks its not even funny.

Consistently puts the passing strength to the boundary, giving both Coleman and his QB clear and easy reads.

Quick feet, hands don't appear good. Going to keep watching but so far I see a kid who has good speed, great burst and so-so routes playing against average corners with zero safety help.

edit: Shmuck Art Briles and this offensive system as well. Lazy, lazy, lazy WR's and I can tell you blocking will be an issue unless Coleman's mentality changes overnight.

10 damn minutes for that pick. The NFL told them to wait it out. going to be a long night. Vodka and OJ the flavor of the night. GO BROWNS!!

That pissed me off- the Rams could have stepped up 10 seconds after Roger and made the pick. It was f**cking obvious ESPN knew who the pick was going to be and milked it for every second it was worth. :(

On the other hand, we can just run the Baylor playbook if Gordon gets reinstated

Yup.

Jack is still sitting there at 32. We ought to take a chance on him. He's a good football player.

Not with teams thinking he has a KW II knee.

Good speed... this kid can't be covered at the next level. Teams looking to double Josh Gordon or Pryor or Big Play Barnidge are going to be shredded by Coleman.

A littler guy but plays like he's 6'4", goes up and fights for the ball. And that speed though. That can't be taught. Kid could be a number 1 WR in the NFL. Griffin just made a new best friend.

Now, we turned that number two pick into:

Corey Coleman. The Best WR in the draft, the drafts most dangerous weapon on offense IMO.

And having 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds and maybe 2 fourths next year will be equivalent to having around 2 drafts next year. Boss Hogs. Welcome to the new era. Get ready to taste victories gentlemen, it's been too long.

Well, I had the Browns trading down with Tennessee at 15, but I bought into

the tall wr's thing, like Hue had in Cincy.

But what they did, was to draft a 5'10", explosive wr. They went with a kid who

can shred secondaries after exploding off the los.

Coleman had more TD passes than any other wr in the draft. Doctson, Treadwell,

even Michael Thomas, had questions about their ability to get off the los

dynamically in the pros.

No such worry about Coleman. I believe the Browns have their Antonio Brown type wr.....only

faster and more explosive than Antonio Brown... and a lot like Steve Smith Jr.

One defensive coach said he gave them fits - you press him, he got behind you, you play him loose,

and the ball gets to him and he takes off with high speed... and Coleman is feisty, 100% competitive.

I wouldn't have predicted it, but I like it.

Been watching this Coleman film for 3 minutes.

This kid owes Art Briles his fucking signing bonus. The offense gives him so many 1 on 1 looks its not even funny.

Consistently puts the passing strength to the boundary, giving both Coleman and his QB clear and easy reads.

Quick feet, hands appear decent enough. Going to keep watching but so far I see a kid who has good speed and ok routes playing against average corners with zero safety help.

edit: Fuck Art Briles and this offensive system as well. Lazy, lazy, lazy WR's and I can tell you blocking will be an issue unless Coleman's mentality changes overnight.

Oh boy. I've got to find my Coleman post from a day or two again. I literally touched on:

1. Art Briles' offense gets everyone open consistently

2. Most plays are one-read

3. Briles tells the receivers to loaf when they're not relevant in a play to save their legs for later. It's actually smart.

I failed to mention that Big 12 corners suck, as you did, but that is a consistent meme from me so it went without saying.

We are agreeing too much lately ;)

Oh boy. I've got to find my Coleman post from a day or two again. I literally touched on:

1. Art Briles' offense gets everyone open consistently

2. Most plays are one-read

3. Briles tells the receivers to loaf when they're not relevant in a play to save their legs for later. It's actually smart.

I failed to mention that Big 12 corners suck, as you did, but that is a consistent meme from me so it went without saying.

We are agreeing too much lately ;)

The offense is lazy in and of their downfield blocking - and when the ball isn't coming the receivers way they have a very obvious 'tell'. I'm shocked more DB's and defensive coordinators didn't pick up on that. Its beyond obvious to me from a camera in the press box, on the field it has to slap you in the face from being so overt.

As for the agreeing, stick around... Most of the players I've been right about might surprise you.

Here is a highlight video of Coleman you guys may enjoy:

I did some research as I was curious as how his combine matched up with Eric Metcalf who was touted as a speedster out of Texas. Unfortunately I couldn't find the numbers for comparison but in terms of dash Metcalf was faster but Coleman seems to have a higher vertical. Obviously it is wishful thinking but, at the same time, it is nice to have a speedy WR/PR again. Hopefully that translates into production on the field.

Really like what the new staff has done. Getting good grades too: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

Not so good here. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

But they rated Elliott to Dallas the worst pick in the draft when I think it was the perfect pick in the draft for both player and team.

Looking at grades...one mans A- is another mans C+

Everyone has different opinions and you cannot grade players IMO until they have actually played some games......

From 2014

the Cleveland Browns

14911586-mmmain.jpg
Cleveland Browns first-round draft picks Johnny Manziel ® and Justin Gilbert answer media questions May 9, 2014 at the Browns' headquarters in Berea. (John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer) (John Kuntz)
Cleveland Browns

The picks: 8. Justin Gilbert, cornerback, Oklahoma State. 22. Johnny Manziel, quarterback, Texas A&M. 35. Joel Bitonio, guard, Nevada. 71. Christian Kirksey, inside linebacker, Iowa. 94. Terrance West, running back, Towson. 127. Pierre Desir, cornerback, Lindenwood.

Best pick: Johnny Manziel – The Cleveland Browns finally have an answer at quarterback. Manziel is exactly the player the franchise needs, a guy who can create buzz off-the-field and make the Browns relevant while also fixing the problem at quarterback, which has led to years and years of futility.

Worst pick: Christian Kirksey – The Browns didn't have what I would consider a bad pick. But if I have to pick one I will go with Kirksey. Even though he is exactly the kind of linebacker the Browns needed – a fast guy with coverage ability - they passed on wide receiver Donte Moncrief in order to get him.

Analysis: Taking Teddy Twatwater, the best quarterback in the draft and second best player overall, is the only thing that could have made this draft better for the Browns. New general manager Ray Farmer leaves his first draft with a franchise quarterback, three future picks and four starters (Gilbert, Manziel, Bitonio and Kirksey). He also grabbed a gem in West, who fits perfectly in Kyle Shanahan's new offensive system and has the talent to be the best running back from this class in a few years. The two biggest issues for the Browns, quarterback and cornerback, were both addressed in the first round. They had the choice of receiver or Bitonio in the second round, and made the right choice with Bitonio. A reported looming suspension for Josh Gordon shouldn't take away from Farmer's terrific draft class, which has the Browns poised to end the streak of double-digit loss seasons.

GRADE A

WOOOHOOOOO we got an A ........Manziel hailed as a brilliant pick and Terrance West a gem.

Ever seen a lion fuck with a grown elephant?

This is all fine by me since we didn't get Goff.

I am concerned you have been marred for life...

Really like what the new staff has done. Getting good grades too: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

PFF liked us as well... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/28/draft-2016-nfl-draft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-round-1-2/

Also dumped on the Steelers...

Then again they dumped on my boy, Decker... putzes... the lot of them...

Well lets hope Gordon comes back. Then RG3 has two Baylor WRs and they should develop some crazy good chemistry.

... or Pryor develops.

Offense now has a take-the-top-off, deep threat. If Pryor or Gordon provide a complementary threat with size, then we may have something brewing.

If not... not... but there's always next year.

Archived