THE BROWNS BOARD

Bosa

One Post

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2016/08/18/joey-bosa-san-diego-chargers-holdout/88974824/

Bosa didn't want to play for the Chargers. His mother said she wished they had done an Eli Manning.

I don't believe he wanted to play for the Browns, either. Forget him.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your questions number one I do number 2 we have no idea whether he can play professional football or not.

WSS

Well, I do care what their attitude is toward playing football. I don't care if their attitude is "screw the other team that didn't take care of me"...if he is willing to play for the Browns.....and yes, play well for the Browns.

Of course, the deal is that no one knows whether a person can really play Professional football or not.

Look at the Browns first round picks since 2011:

Phil TAylor

Trent Richardson

Brandon Weeden

Barkevious Mingo

Justin Gilbert

Johnny Manziel

Danny Shelton

Cam Erving

Except for Taylor who gave some good years, a pretty fair pile of crapola. Yes, we have hopes that Erving and Shelton perform up to their first round status....but that has yet to happen.

Well, I do care what their attitude is toward playing football. I don't care if their attitude is "screw the other team that didn't take care of me"...if he is willing to play for the Browns.....and yes, play well for the Browns.

Of course, the deal is that no one knows whether a person can really play Professional football or not.

Look at the Browns first round picks since 2011:

Phil TAylor

Trent Richardson

Brandon Weeden

Barkevious Mingo

Justin Gilbert

Johnny Manziel

Danny Shelton

Cam Erving

Except for Taylor who gave some good years, a pretty fair pile of crapola. Yes, we have hopes that Erving and Shelton perform up to their first round status....but that has yet to happen.

No idea what this has to do with Joey Bosa being somewhat of an asshole. Sounds like a classic me first guy. Don't know what we might want to give up to get him here to stink up our locker room.

WSS

No idea what this has to do with Joey Bosa being somewhat of an asshole. Sounds like a classic me first guy. Don't know what we might want to give up to get him here to stink up our locker room.

WSS

exactly.

WSS

Don't know what Joey Bosa being an asshole has to do with him being a good football player. Half the good football players in the league are assholes. A lot of assholes have rings.

And the locker room would not be an issue. This deal is all about money. Every other player's attitude toward every other player in their locker room is: "Get all the money you can get". Don't talk about/mess with my money and I won't mess with yours.

NFL don't care about that BS.

Don't know what Joey Bosa being an asshole has to do with him being a good football player. Half the good football players in the league are assholes. A lot of assholes have rings.

And the locker room would not be an issue. This deal is all about money. Every other player's attitude toward every other player in their locker room is: "Get all the money you can get". Don't talk about/mess with my money and I won't mess with yours.

NFL don't care about that BS.

Only difference is in this case, he's never played a down in the NFL so he might be awesome or he might suck. No one knows and the fact that he's not going to be playing anytime soon because he wants $18 million now instead of $14.5 million right now makes him seem like a selfish asshole and it will be an issue in the locker room if/when he ever shows up to play.

Tell you what Gipper you can ride that train forever. If asshole behavior doesn't bother you that's your choice pal.

He can hold out and wait for next year's draft for all I give a shit.

I also don't give a shit if the Chargers pay him a king's ransom and he sucks.

(or goes to the hall of fame for that matter)

WSS

asswhole players tend to have to change teams... the lockerroom and/or fo/coaches can't

put up with em forever.

Better to get your locker room in order and your players all on the same page.

So on one hand we have a small group of people saying -

A) Joey is asking for what every other 3rd overall pick since the CBA and after this year will receive across the league. NOT this 'in line with every other Chargers player' bullshit. Every 3rd overall pick.

An opinion backed by many league analysts, observes, players, their Union and also the recent stingy ass history of the Chargers ownership.

B ) This other group saying Joey is 'me only' and not a team player or an asshole for failing to sign a contract that NO other 3rd overall pick has previously agreed to.

So.... that about right?

Tell you what Gipper you can ride that train forever. If asshole behavior doesn't bother you that's your choice pal.

He can hold out and wait for next year's draft for all I give a shit.

I also don't give a shit if the Chargers pay him a king's ransom and he sucks.

(or goes to the hall of fame for that matter)

WSS

We have had our share of assholes on the Browns, behaviorily. Honestly, as far as Browns players are concerned, I am only concerned that they play well.

The better they play, the less of an asshole they are, fair to say?

So on one hand we have a small group of people saying -

A) Joey is asking for what every other 3rd overall pick since the CBA and after this year will receive across the league. NOT this 'in line with every other Chargers player' bullshit. Every 3rd overall pick.

An opinion backed by many league analysts, observes, players, their Union and also the recent stingy ass history of the Chargers ownership.

B ) This other group saying Joey is 'me only' and not a team player or an asshole for failing to sign a contract that NO other 3rd overall pick has previously agreed to.

So.... that about right?

Yep that about sums it up. The feeling out here is that in order to negotiate though, both sides have to give on something. The Chargers started at offering like 50% of the signing bonus now and the rest later, Bosa says no I want 100%. The Chargers come up to 85% now and the rest later and Bosa says fuck you I want 100% now. Its going to cost him money now and if he truly sits out the year, theres no fucking way he goes in the top 3 next year so was this really a smart decision? NFL careers are not that long for the most part, is he really willing to give up 1 of those years over what really amounts to about $400k that he would earn in interest getting 100% now vs. 85%?? Fucking stupid if you ask me.

Yep that about sums it up. The feeling out here is that in order to negotiate though, both sides have to give on something. The Chargers started at offering like 50% of the signing bonus now and the rest later, Bosa says no I want 100%. The Chargers come up to 85% now and the rest later and Bosa says fuck you I want 100% now. Its going to cost him money now and if he truly sits out the year, theres no fucking way he goes in the top 3 next year so was this really a smart decision? NFL careers are not that long for the most part, is he really willing to give up 1 of those years over what really amounts to about $400k that he would earn in interest getting 100% now vs. 85%?? Fucking stupid if you ask me.

That's true but what should Bosa REALLY have to negotiate for? He wants what everyone else has gotten - nothing more, nothing less.

He's 21 years old, say he sits out this entire year and gets redrafted next year. He'd still likely get at least 10 years out of his career. Personally, I'd rather 10 years with a franchise I wanted to play for than 11 years with a franchise that is just a pile of shit garbage.

That's true but what should Bosa REALLY have to negotiate for? He wants what everyone else has gotten - nothing more, nothing less.

He's 21 years old, say he sits out this entire year and gets redrafted next year. He'd still likely get at least 10 years out of his career. Personally, I'd rather 10 years with a franchise I wanted to play for than 11 years with a franchise that is just a pile of shit garbage.

But it's not like he's not getting all of that money. It's 400k in interest....you'd seriously throw away one year of your career over essentially pocket change when you're getting 14 million? And you won't get that same signing bonus next year. Sit out a year and he's not going in the top 3 in next years draft.

But it's not like he's not getting all of that money. It's 400k in interest....you'd seriously throw away one year of your career over essentially pocket change when you're getting 14 million? And you won't get that same signing bonus next year. Sit out a year and he's not going in the top 3 in next years draft.

I think it is also over the issue of offset language, is it not?

To me, its no longer about money. It's principle. Your employer is trying to lowball you from the moment you walk in the door - why would you stay there? There's 31 other employers that you can work for. Take your year, keep working out, and go to a different employer.

Plus I fucking hate the Chargers.

To me, its no longer about money. It's principle. Your employer is trying to lowball you from the moment you walk in the door - why would you stay there? There's 31 other employers that you can work for. Take your year, keep working out, and go to a different employer.

^^^this

Agree...

What does the likely crop of edge rushers look like for 2017? Will Joey's draft status actually be hurt that much?

I always kind of like the Chargers....and I certainly don't want to see them move from SD.

But they do have the reputation as a chintzy, disputatious organization. That is why Eli...and his dad, wanted nothing to do with them.

What does the likely crop of edge rushers look like for 2017? Will Joey's draft status actually be hurt that much?

After scanning a couple sites, it looks like TAMU's Miles Garrett is about it for the consensus 1st round as of now.

PFF does additionally mention a Tennessee kid, Derek Barnett.

Rivals mentions both and adds a couple more... in one of the more confusingly laid out articles I've seen in a long time.

he wants everything up front cuz he knows either

1): he's gonna lay down or 2): he's gonna bust worse that mandarich.

U watched ohio st play while he was there right? So you saw that he didnt rely solely on his strength to get to the qb, right? Could you give the kid some credit for having an advanced skillset that was considered nfl quality before he even declared? I mean we just cut a guy that we made millions to for 4 years that doesnt have a fraction of bosa's pass rush toolset.

After scanning a couple sites, it looks like TAMU's Miles Garrett is about it for the consensus 1st round as of now.

PFF does additionally mention a Tennessee kid, Derek Barnett.

Rivals mentions both and adds a couple more... in one of the more confusingly laid out articles I've seen in a long time.

He's the only one I know of right now. I figured I'd give it at least two weeks into the NFL regular season before I started getting excited for the draft. What can I say...Hue and RG3 are making me a little more optimistic than years past.

Archived