THE BROWNS BOARD

Falcons Game Thread

Zombo

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same here :)

the offense looks much better today, rg3 is actually giving me some hope.

The dude hasn't played in a long time and is only going to get better as he goes. These pre-season snaps are important to him, and probably more important than any other QB starter.

saw some glimmers on defense but overall shitty. still can't tackle or stop the run. hopefully they get it together soon. i'm a bit suprised kruger is still on the team, i thought he would be traded or cut by now.

ha!....dude doesnt have a tackle yet.....2 games......but when you go a whole season and only get 16, what else should we expect...

we allowed 500 yards today....brutal...

just turrible.......

Is it over yet? Can I go to bed? Do I have to watch our horrible D and OLine backups anymore tonight?

Hamlett didn't do himself much good tonight.

He might have to go back to theater.

Wow.......How many missed tackles on that drive?....D looks pathetic.....

I watched the debacle in person, and should the defense continue playing like that, Griffin & Co. will have to put up 40 to have a chance winning a game. Run defense non existent. Pass rush ditto (except Nassib's great play) I think Hue may cut bait with first round busts like Mingo and Gilbert. Meder outplayed Sheldon.

TOP is going to look very lopsided for the 2nd game in a row. D sucks.

LOL- EVERYTHING was lopsided. The Browns not only got doubled in TOP, but first downs, yards, and damn near anything else.

I watched the debacle in person, and should the defense continue playing like that, Griffin & Co. will have to put up 40 to have a chance winning a game. Run defense non existent. Pass rush ditto (except Nassib's great play) I think Hue may cut bait with first round busts like Mingo and Gilbert. Meder outplayed Sheldon.

LOL- EVERYTHING was lopsided. The Browns not only got doubled in TOP, but first downs, yards, and damn near anything else.

Here are the stats and TOP was even worse by a few seconds than last week's crapola.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=400874765

Buckle up folks, this is going to be a *long* season with this D. The secondary in particular looks terrible. Now, hopefully Haden can come back flying and play at a pro-bowl level, and that *might* be enough to drag everyone else up, but we were picked apart repeatedly, and tackles were missed all over the damn place.

On the other side, the O looks like it could at least be interesting. Not dominant, but interesting.

Nassib will be our best draft pick. Cam's snap was ridiculously bad. The 1's OL pass protection was our only better (if one). No JT but RG3 was smart when he got out & smarter when he got down. Running game sucks. Our tackling was like watching 11 double arm amputee's not wrap or drive, all night. Our ST is our best unit. Tabor should turn them loose on our Defense. Horton, order your 3 tackling robots now!! We can not breakdown to tackle for shit.. We should have drafted Justin Hardy..

Derrick Kindred was a surprising plus last night, the guy looked good in coverage and against the run. Lots of missed tackles to go around but not too many with his name on.

Nassib looks like a (very) poor man's JJ Watt. A couple of years from now who knows how good he can be.

Danny Shelton needs to start playing like the guy everyone talks about, not the guy we saw last year. Speaking of Ray Farmer's first round picks, Cam Erving...*smh* Thanks, Ofarmer.

RG3 can throw the ball and he can run. Even if he's not great at reading defences or feeling the rush or whatever, teams are still going to be forced to defend the deep ball on every play, and defend his run on every play. That should help some.

I'd like to see more of Pryor before I anoint him Randy Moss 2.0. He had a nice TD catch, but that was his night. He had a nice deep catch against GB, basically the same play - 'go long, TP'. Can he be a rounded receiver and make difficult catches in traffic? Or is he the new Travis Benjamin for us?

I'd like to see us stop the run from time to time, or get pressure on the QB. But I realise that's being crazy optimistic...

Nassib will be our best draft pick. Cam's snap was ridiculously bad. The 1's OL pass protection was our only better (if one). No JT but RG3 was smart when he got out & smarter when he got down. Running game sucks. Our tackling was like watching 11 double arm amputee's not wrap or drive, all night. Our ST is our best unit. Tabor should turn them loose on our Defense. Horton, order your 3 tackling robots now!! We can not breakdown to tackle for shit.. We should have drafted Justin Hardy..

Definitely disagree about the run game, I thought it actually looked good with Crow even without JT in there with the 1's on offense.

Defense is what it is but at least youth can be an excuse to some degree. I'm going to take a strong guess by week 6 or so 3/4 of the defense will be 1st or 2nd year players.

Definitely disagree about the run game, I thought it actually looked good with Crow even without JT in there with the 1's on offense.

Defense is what it is but at least youth can be an excuse to some degree. I'm going to take a strong guess by week 6 or so 3/4 of the defense will be 1st or 2nd year players.

End of the season D will look something like:

Nassib - Shelton/Meder - Cooper

Ogbah - Kirksey - Davis - Kruger/Orchard

Haden - Poyer - Campbell - Williams

Based on last night kindred has a shot, and Williams could easily be unseated but I can't see by whom. We have quantity but not quality there.

For having a first year coaching staff,

Atlanta last year never once got blown out in any game. Their first eight games, they only lost twice.

It was the second half of the season when the losses really took them out of their zone.

The special teams are excellently coached, and they play very, very smart.

As I watched the game, it seems that, to me, the Browns offense is really going to score points.

The offensive line, sure, has some coordination problems.

Irving looks a lot stronger, needs more practice. That bad snap was atrocious.

Ah, the defense. More coordination problems... those can be fixed. What impressed me, was that both

sides of the ball showed the ABILITY to make some kick ass big plays. That's different from in the past.

Interviewing the players, they are having FUN playing football as a TEAM. When it comes together...

this team is going to be exciting to watch. Much work must be done.

I love the path they are on. We'll see if it is a huge success the first season.

I've seen previous years when a game could easily turn into a rout. But it was another close game. And,

it's still a practice game. That's why they have them. And the Browns have new systems, new players,

new coaches. The coordination problems are fixable. No worries here.

Now, the tackling. Seems to me, the Falcon oline got away with a lot of holds. Make that LOT.

Look, the defense is making plays. And it's showing a lack of coordination. And, it's showing that Gilbert

still plays like he doesn't get it. There, I tried to be nice.

Tackling. You don't have to teach that in training camp. And some of the kids are tackling a te high.

A big rb high. No workee. But that's teachable, unless it's Gilbert you're teaching. A lot needs cleaned up,

that's how it always is. But the talent is there, and the final roster will be impressive, and the choices

hard as hell to make in some positions.

I don't care about the bunch of yards given up - it's prefreaking season. A lot of players won't make the final

roster. But once the regular season starts, I expect few mistakes overall, at least after a few real games.

It will come together. But I see a football TEAM that is wanting to kick ass, and is loving football, CONFIDENT, and playing

like it. For the first time, I don't see a terrible lack of talent and teamwork. This are looking up.

But the coaches have a lot of work to do this week.

Meanwhile, Mingo made some real nice plays.

***EDIT***

Oh, yeah - the secondary. Needs coached up. Young kids ... playing too far off at the wrong times.

3rd and 2, and played 7? yards off? I figured it was some confusion going on.

The players have mentioned that they are still learning. I'd bet the defensive front seven

will get some serious coaching this next week, on hand to hand combat to avoid the holding that was going on, and not often enough called.

I will be po'd if Kindred ends up on the practice squad - he'll be gone like yesterday.

Danny Shelton needs to start playing like the guy everyone talks about, not the guy we saw last year. Chris

Danny at NT looks quicker and more powerful. The one play that stands out, is Danny took a blocker

to the right, dumped him, and went to the right/middle and pushed that blocker backwards with serious

force...

He ties up two olinemen. Our lb's/de's were making plays. He would have been a step slower last year.

Nassib, Alexander, & Kindred all looked good on D.

Gilbert?....I am as anti Gilbert as Mud is anti Kruger. He is the worst tackler on this team & that's saying something after seeing some of the others.

Browns....Send a message to the other poor tacklers. Let 'em know it will not be tolerated & cut Gilbert NOW! His presence is only a wasted opportunity for others who sit while he is on the field.

Mike

About anything I was going to say about the game has already been touched on except the excellent punting game with Andy Lee. Always helpful for any team to have a great punter. Booming punts with lots of hang time which translated into quick tackles and minimal punt returns.

I did not see the game, only highlights, and the tackling was poor on several of the Falcons big plays. Those are the ones that you just can't live with. We aren't good enough to be a poor tackling football team, that much I know.

Nassib's strip sack was nice because he finished the play and got the ball out (and recovered it), but he wasn't blocked at all. Still, he took advantage of the mistake and made the pay. I'm guessing that doesn't happen in the regular season often. But...Nassib displayed pretty awesome speed. I'm guessing he's one of those guys that doesn't have great combine numbers, but plays faster in a game. He certainly shot off of the line and got there in a hurry.

RG III has a nice deep ball, and that's putting it mildly. Our team is designed for a vertical attack, so this is huge. The craziest thing about that Pryor bomb TD was that he just ran RIGHT by a defender who runs a legit 4.36 40. I mean, he literally ran right by him. Pryor appears to have a "turbo boost" at the end of his route that can't be taught. When the ball is in the air, he hits that stride and really shines. Impressive. I DON'T like hearing that he got a 15 yard penalty though. Those kind of things are drive killers, and cannot be tolerated.

Loved reading/seeing the highlights of RG III running the ball and SLIDING. On that one 22 yard run, he could've had a ton more yards if he bounced to the outside and let the WR set up the block. Watch the run again and check out where the WR was. Robert goes outside and slows up for a sec and the WR could've sprung him for more yards. Still, it's preseason and I LOVE getting big yards without a hit to our QB. That's the read-option play that will be a staple in our offense. I remember Andy Dalton getting some big yards on that specific play, and that guy runs a 4.87! Robert looked plenty fast to me, and I love it.

Game replay airs on NFL Network at noon today (CDT)...

Thanks for that. I've got today off. :)

Nassib makes plays....but he just doesn't look all that powerful to me (easy for me to say from my couch).

I would like to see him play against the opponent's #1's.

That Justin Gilbert, he's quite a player isn't he...

Mingo got some playing time in the 4th quarter. Looks to me like he's gone at first cuts.

Archived