THE BROWNS BOARD

Falcons Game Thread

Zombo

It's looking to me that it's smarter to take a knee on kick-offs and just start at the 25.

That's the intent of this one-year experiment... another step in the phase out of kick-offs.

But once again the Rules Committee takes one step forward and two steps back...

The NFL's new kickoff rule is already starting to backfire

According to ESPN.com’s play-by-play data, of the 134 kickoff plays we saw over the weekend, 69.4% were returned. During the 2015 regular season, only 41.1% of kickoffs were returned. In last year’s opening week of preseason, 56.4% of kickoffs were returned.

Return teams may be hunting touchbacks now, but kicking teams no longer are. Instead, we are seeing kicks that fall short of the end zone, and that’s by design.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/nfl-kickoff-touchback-rule-preseason

Wait a minute....they look worse this year and, suddenly, it's coordination???!!???.....but last year it was coaching???...

And, oh how you guys screamed cause Pettine didnt teach it in training camp.....remember?.....I do....

You missed how many times Tabor's head was called for last year... and in 2014...

... the run defense blew dead worms...

lol... Just when you think you've seen them all...

Talent? You talking talent? We don't need no talent! Why we got us Dak Prescott!

At least our guy had the decency to make a couple ill-advised throws this week... the 1/4 roll, sail-job INT wiped out by a penalty and the short cross the DB cut off... fortunately for Dak he was one of those "I'm a DB because I can't catch players." Makes me think he might be mortal...

But day-um... the kid looks so poised in the huddle, in the pocket, on the move. He's moved up from even his Sr. year level which was way up from his Jr. year.

The 'Boys have their insurance policy... and I believe "we had that one"...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, sometimes, you have to have the courage to speak the truth....even if it's not what you wished for....

Exactly....love Cals optimism( I used to have that too).....just not seeing the things he's seeing.....like the D making big plays....or an even game.....or improvements from last season......

No one is quitting or giving up.....you're blind to the positives Ive listed in my good, bad ugly thread and just choose to deny the negatives that are glaringly obvious.....

Denial is not healthy....

The only thing Ive quit doing is making excuses for these guys and painting pictures of roses.....Im now willing to point to weaknesses and call the Browns out on them......so, instead of me "telling" everyone how great they "will be someday", Im taking the SHOW ME route.......and, so far, they havent done enough to give me that confidence....

For years now, Ive sat on the edge of my seat...excited to see the new players...new system....new coaches....etc. And, in most cases, I was genuinely excited. I bought in!!!! But, with this regime, so far, I don't have that feeling. At all.

Its not quitting or giving up. Its just me, with my hand out, asking them to give me something Ive never seen yet. But they just are giving me more of what feels like the same.....

so....no quit here....just the truth....a dose of reality.....what my eyes see.....

Third game is it....full dress rehearsal....and the last practice game for the ones....so, this week, we should see what we are gonna see on week one......

Yup- I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Like they say in Missouri- "Show Me". 15+ years of generally lousy football have made me come to the conclusion- I'll believe it when I see it- "we've turned the corner".

I'm far from the Negative Nancy Ghoolie who has proclaimed Griffin "Black Tarkenton", and Hue as a bust coach before he's even been in a regular season game yet. I'll just take the good with the bad, hope for the best, and expect the worst.

That was a brutal analysis by Mud but it is based on reality.

To me it is time to see what haven't we tried since 99 to have a good football team. We have had plenty of new coaches and GM's. Have they all been duds and failures or have we given up too soon on some of them? One thing we haven't tried is making a longer term commitment..maybe up to 4 years instead of the usual one or two years and when things still aren't looking good we blow things up and start again...just throwing it out there for discussion.

Yup- I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Like they say in Missouri- "Show Me". 15+ years of generally lousy football have made me come to the conclusion- I'll believe it when I see it- "we've turned the corner".

I'm far from the Negative Nancy Ghoolie who has proclaimed Griffin "Black Tarkenton", and Hue as a bust coach before he's even been in a regular season game yet. I'll just take the good with the bad, hope for the best, and expect the worst.

Same here.

I'm a true blue Browns fan and I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm expecting another miserable season.

I see a bit of optimism with the offense being better than past years (provided all the key players remain healthy).

Unfortunately, I see the defense being the anchor this year.

Go Browns!

Falcons first Half Notes: Offense

• France in starting line-up for Drango at LT... graphics had it wrong... late change
  • Barn cannot block to save his ass... noted three, double "-" in the half... two in the first series (WR screen; Crow's 3rd down run)
  • OG/OT dual pull on a run? First spotting of this in two (or is it three now) years of OL grading.
  • RG3 deep to Pryor: instant replay from Packer game? Time to expand TP Sr.'s route tree...
  • Speaking of "Sr."... what's with all the suffixes this year?
  • Bito mauled... we are till incapable of running a screen...
  • Greco Power! To those who said John was not suited for a power blocking scheme, I say (with Mud's permission)... HA! John easily would dominate our OL scoring in the half.
  • "What do you think you are a cannon?" Name that Movie Award to Cam...
  • Best commentary of the broadcast: "That snap went further than the Falcons' last punt."
  • Malcolm Johnson still cannot block... his head down, attempted cut gave a Falcon te easiest sack he'll ever get.

All for now...

Bulk of my 1st half, Defense notes are in Z's game thread... but here's one I forgot...

• loved Orchard doing push-ups after his TFL.

Almost forgot my RG3 summary...

• Pretty deep ball... effortless
  • Did not see a single read progression, but...
  • He threw to spots trusting his primary would be open there... best example was deep ball to Pryor who was a step shy of even with the DB when throw started... the saying is, "if they're even they're open" not "nearly even"... double edged sword to commit that early.
  • Need to see decisions under pressure... best example was his scramble run and slide. Barn did open up before LOS was crossed, but decision to run was already made... at least was another good slide at the end of the run.
  • Beauty of the designed read-option was exceeded only by the beauty of his conservative decision to slide... a couple judiciously placed read-options should do wonders. Still not a fan of running QBs, but if you have one and can steal a couple chunks using his legs...

Oh... and Cam's corner... No official grading this week (and at this point will not go back to last week's game, but Pre-Week #3... I promise) so these are only note fueled impressions...

• Looked like the FSU tape of Cam I saw... except somewhat bigger, slower and less controlled.
  • ATL's 4-3 kept him from having go heads up with a DT where he was weakest last year.
  • He seldom was asked to handle a DT one-on-one whether by game or play design.
  • Dbl teams were decent and got off a couple of them to seek, if not actually make contact with, 2nd level targets.
  • In pass-pro he chases DL who loop away from him... leaves his lane open with no hope of catching looper. He actually reached out to grab a DL leaving his lane twice. Fortunately for his lap ledger he wasn't quick enough to get hold of them.
  • Is the going rate still one lap per penalty yard?
  • "What do you think you are a cannon?".... I just love that line...

Re: the double pull. Had a few of those in camp when working the east/west run game from the gun.

Holy Power Sweep, Batman!

Not sold on Pryor until he takes a few shots over the middle. Going long for the home run TD is really the easiest thing for a receiver.

Easy?.. Separation takes more than speed.. the kid is good.. get over it..

Not sold on Pryor until he takes a few shots over the middle. Going long for the home run TD is really the easiest thing for a receiver.

Right....he's basically caught 3 passes, so that is very little to rate him on....plus, I think, 1 pass last year.....

But those 3, were pretty freaking good.....

Id worry more if he was THE only WR we had to rely on.....but, as just a single tool, in what looks like an arsenal, he will be dangerous.....

Easy?.. Separation takes more than speed.. the kid is good.. get over it..

So....he's shown 2 fly routes......

What else does he got?

Jump balls? Crossing routes? Slants? Posts?

I do know he'd probably look good on a reverse option bomb to Gordon or Coop......

Right....he's basically caught 3 passes, so that is very little to rate him on....plus, I think, 1 pass last year.....

But those 3, were pretty freaking good.....

Id worry more if he was THE only WR we had to rely on.....but, as just a single tool, in what looks like an arsenal, he will be dangerous.....

So....he's shown 2 fly routes......

What else does he got?

Jump balls? Crossing routes? Slants? Posts?

I do know he'd probably look good on a reverse option bomb to Gordon or Coop......

Yup, I want to see if Terrell can do more than fly routes. If we ever get Pryor, Coleman, and Gordon out on the field at the same time, it could get interesting.

Yup, I wan't to see if Terrell can do more than fly routes. If we ever get Pryor, Coleman, and Gordon out on the field at the same time, it could get interesting.

Perhaps Friday?......should we be so lucky?.....hope so......

Barn cannot block to save his ass...

...and yet he's been in the league a looong time.....and he was never known as a receiving TE until last year with us.

How did he survive 7 years before we got him?

Barnidge was a "blocking tight end" for six years.

He has a Pro Bowl receiving year, and now he can't block.

Seems he does whatever the team asks.

Better in all phases than the guy he replaced. That was one smart decision we made as far as letting guys walk.

Z

What's an incredible about Pryor is his innate ability to go deep and create separation. That might sound easy, but tracking the ball and catching it while running full speed is no easy task. This is important because a defense will have to prioritize their assignments and try to figure out who to put on which receiver. We KNOW Gordon can go deep, and Coleman is comfortable with this is as well. It's funny to imagine that Gordon is the "slow poke" of this group, and this places an immense amount of pressure on a defense. Any of the three receivers, at any time, are viable threats to get deep. Most teams don't have three speedy DB's. At least not the speed required to keep up with the likes of our guys. This is in stark contrast of past seasons, and something of a bright spot for a QB with a nice deep ball. But as others have said, can Pryor do MORE than this? Can he be a guy we depend on when tough 3rd downs come up? If our receivers have weaknesses, it's our youth and lack of possession type guys. Maybe Higgins is that possession guy we need, but awfully tough to depend on a rookie for that. We shall see.

Oh, and Josh Gordon received first team reps during the last practice. This is probably because Hue Jackson wants to see Gordon go against first team defenders and obviously play with the first team offense. Have to gauge exactly where Josh is at this point, and this is the best way to do it. I have yet to read anything negative about Josh's performance, save for the few extra pounds he is carrying that will quickly dissolve as he runs around more and more. I read that he is "catching everything in sight", and has "flashed his previous abilities". Nobody has forgotten what the young man can do, but people are hesitant to expect the same level of greatness. What every Browns fan dreams about is seeing him return to glory and STAYING there. Gordon at full strength offers a wicked combination of speed and strength. One of the rare people that can take a 10 yard pass and literally go the distance. What's equally enticing is that Coleman had a knack for that in college. Cmon Corey, we need ya buddy.

I liked Metcalf but all remember about his returns was fumbling the ball. The guy has got to have the most long yard returns with a fumble. Use to drive me crazy.

Eric Metcalf is #2 all time in PR for TD. (Devin Hester is #1). Most of those for the Browns. That is what I remember most about him.

Touchdowns, baby.

The thing I remember most about Metcalf was the two touchdown returns against Pittsburgh and us winning the game. It was on national television, and I got to see it. Loved it so much. The other thing I remember was my father yelling, "Metcalf up the damn middle?!! Why!?"

This actually gave me goosebumps. The two return game was in Cleveland and the place went absolutely bananas. I was 13 at the time, and I can remember my father and I screaming and jumping around.

...and yet he's been in the league a looong time.....and he was never known as a receiving TE until last year with us.

How did he survive 7 years before we got him?

On the bench....

In his first 6 years, he caught 44 passes for 600 yds(didnt even get on the field with the O in 08-10-11.....ST only)

Then suddenly, last season, he caught 79 passes for 1040 yds

So, basically did zero for 6 straight years, then blew up last season.....poof!....(Thank Mike Pettine, he did the same with Kruger in 2014)

So, basically did zero for 6 straight years, then blew up last season.....poof!....(Thank Mike Pettine, he did the same with Kruger in 2014)

Don't forget about the previous TE Jordan Cameron (or was it Cameron Jordan?).

Barnidge was around in our fantasy draft much longer than someone with his previous stats should've been, but many people are thinking that the Browns have a few more weapons this year, and no team will be surprised by Gary. The great news for Browns fans is that Gary picked up right where he left off by making a terrific catch on a gorgeous throw. A fingertip catch over the shoulder next to the sideline is no joke, LOL. What's better, Hue Jackson said RG III made the proper reads and delivered the ball with confidence. I don't care if it IS preseason...that's a step in the right direction.

I want to see more Connor Hamlet. Apparently he caught a touchdown in the first game, but it was called back when McCown was easily past the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure how the play looked, but I'm guessing that the protection broke down, McCown extended the play, and Hamlet's defender eventually lost track. I want to see more of him, especially in the red zone. Hamlet is the first place I'd go if I was Hue in the red zone. I'd be guessing that teams will be all over Gary and Pryor, so Hamlet might be an afterthought. We shall see.

One more thing. I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere, but I was wondering if anybody saw the WR screen that Trufant blew up early in the game. Specifically, did you guys notice that the Falcons messed up the defense and only had two defenders covering our THREE offensive players? This is important for several reasons (although probably won't happen in the regular season without a timeout being called). For one thing, Trufant got immediately by Barnidge and blew the play up. This should NEVER happen, and Gary has to be able to at least get in the WAY of the DB. That play should've gone for a first down, perhaps more. But that's only half of it. RG III should've seen that the Falcons mixed up the coverage and didn't have the correct number of defenders. He should've checked Barnidge to a go route which would have the effect of the defender making a split second call. Cover Gary, or guess that the play is a WR screen and go for the tackle. If RG III FAKES THE SCREEN, Gary is left uncovered and would have a huge gain. Look at the play again, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I want to see more Connor Hamlet. Apparently he caught a touchdown in the first game, but it was called back when McCown was easily past the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure how the play looked, but I'm guessing that the protection broke down, McCown extended the play, and Hamlet's defender eventually lost track.

That's exactly what happened.

But it was a nice catch... :)

Don't forget about the previous TE Jordan Cameron (or was it Cameron Jordan?).

The former... unless it was the latter... anyway doesn't help that "the other" is a Saint DE...

One more thing. I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere, but I was wondering if anybody saw the WR screen that Trufant blew up early in the game. Specifically, did you guys notice that the Falcons messed up the defense and only had two defenders covering our THREE offensive players? This is important for several reasons (although probably won't happen in the regular season without a timeout being called). For one thing, Trufant got immediately by Barnidge and blew the play up. This should NEVER happen, and Gary has to be able to at least get in the WAY of the DB. That play should've gone for a first down, perhaps more. But that's only half of it. RG III should've seen that the Falcons mixed up the coverage and didn't have the correct number of defenders. He should've checked Barnidge to a go route which would have the effect of the defender making a split second call. Cover Gary, or guess that the play is a WR screen and go for the tackle. If RG III FAKES THE SCREEN, Gary is left uncovered and would have a huge gain. Look at the play again, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Caught the near-whiff and noted it as one of three Barn Dbl-'s blocking "efforts" in the half...

Did not see the audible opportunity you describe... interesting...

I remember it happening - I just glossed over it as I was watching first thing in the morning, but it looked like a lost opportunity, that we had the coverage we wanted to run a screen and trufant blew it up (pro bowl DB after all).

I love Barny and think he's good enough, but probably, last year was his "career" year....the reality is that, last season, we couldnt run for shit and were a pass happy team. Josh McC set records(not cause he's great, but because we passed on every down).....and Benji and Barny(2 guys with less than average careers prior) were the only 2 targets and they ended up benefiting greatly from that.....

I like Barny. Good hands. Great guy. And a solid player. But not a 1000 ypy guy and not the next Ozy.....

Benji?.....probably just had his one and only "almost" 1000 yd season too....

Book it!

Well... as I think someone mentioned above somewhere... my rerecording of Week 2 was interrupted by 20 minutes or so of news that Bell's suspension was reduced by one fucking game....

Really NFL Network... kill a chunk of a BROWNS game for a Steeler update? Really?

So eff it... will focus on game 4... but have a few Q3 notes.

Alexander did have some good moments tho, mud... and some not so good. In addition to his early gap shot, he made one nice tackle... of Tuggle.

But dayum... as a team we were biting really hard on play action. Other Defense stuff:

• Cam Johnson... there's the door Cam..
  • Gaines... two-hand touch more your speed?
  • Schobert... why look behind you when the QB boots your direction? RUN AT THE QB... WITHOUT HESITATION!

Offense? One series... 3 and out... but still managed one new nickname: Garth "Turnstile" Gerhart...

Archived