THE BROWNS BOARD

One thing you are looking forward to in 2016-2017 season

tinythinker

There are lots of reasons to follow a team: You grew up in or moved to a particular city. Family tradition. Habit (i.e. you've been a fan so long it's just part of you). And so on.

Whether the Browns go 0-16 or manage 5-11 as yet another rebuilding process gets underway, what are you looking forward to most?

• Tailgating/attending a game with friends?
  • Talking crap about opposing teams on forums like this?
  • Seeing which picks and trades are working out?
  • Making fun of/complaining about FO missteps?
  • Being part of a community of fans that stick together through decades of lean times?
  • Something else?

At one week away from Week One of the regular season, what is bringing you back again for another ride on the roller-coaster?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of reasons to follow a team: You grew up in or moved to a particular city. Family tradition. Habit (i.e. you've been a fan so long it's just part of you). And so on.

Whether the Browns go 0-16 or manage 5-11 as yet another rebuilding process gets underway, what are you looking forward to most?

• Making fun of/complaining about FO missteps?
  • Being part of a community of fans that stick together through decades of lean times?
  • Something else?

At one week away from Week One of the regular season, what is bringing you back again for another ride on the roller-coaster?

Precisely! Well done!

This place also has a Tavern for discussion during the games for those that enjoy doing that.

There's more to it than burying the 2016 regular season off of preseason/exhibition games criteria. The guys that will be getting the weekly game plans aren't the ones that played more before getting cut. The guys that will remain here in the plans got evaluated in scrimmages down in Tampa and practices throughout training camp that get filmed for position coaches and the Head Coach to evaluate.

• Making fun of/complaining about FO missteps? NOPE
  • Something else? I'm looking forward to seeing a team grow & improve as the season wears on. While I'm not too optimistic about the won/loss record, I'm happy we have a few potential playmakers on O, and some young & hungry LBs on D.

Well, when you're addicted since 1970, it's a no brainer to look forward to another season. On another note, i like the schedule this year.

Watching a team grow up before our eyes so that by the end of the season, regardless of W-L record, we see a real NFL team transform into a viable franchise for years to come. And I want us to be good enough that we use the coming picks for a few true stars to add to that team instead of a lot of later round picks.

1. Road tripping to Miami!

Getting 2016 over with so we know where we are and what we need.

Working on and debating the 2017 Draft.

Attending the 2017 Draft in Philly!

• Making fun of/complaining about FO missteps? NOPE
  • Something else? I'm looking forward to seeing a team grow & improve as the season wears on. While I'm not too optimistic about the won/loss record, I'm happy we have a few potential playmakers on O, and some young & hungry LBs on D.

Well, when you're addicted since 1970, it's a no brainer to look forward to another season. On another note, i like the schedule this year.

Bob,

I agree with all you said, except that I've been addicted to the Browns since 1956. That said, our passion & loyalty appear to be on the same page.

Mike

Bob,

I agree with all you said, except that I've been addicted to the Browns since 1956. That said, our passion & loyalty appear to be on the same page.

Mike

Nice. Guys like you have pretty much seen it all. Glad you're sticking with 'em with basically 20+ years of tragedy.

Well I am an eternal optimist even though the losing is tiring. Plus, I really do enjoy the tailgating.

Looking forward to next Sunday for sure!!!

D. all the above?

GO BROWNS!!! FOREVER!

????????????

Interesting responses so far. Always good to see why people are passionate about and loyal toward something. I included the options listed as starters or prompts because that's mostly what I've seen here for the last few years (I wasn't registered at first, think I only started posting last year). It's fun to see the additional things people are looking forward to.

I'll try another "Predictions four games in" thread next month. I know a lot of people like to predict the entire schedule before Game One but so many preseason predictions, even by the analysts, can flip fast once the regular season gets under way.

1. Attending the 2017 Draft in Philly!

One of the greatest collections of Renior is located in Philly. I haven't seen it yet so this is a bit of an enticing bonus should I go for the draft.

http://www.barnesfoundation.org/collections/art-collection/artist/133/pierre-auguste-renoir?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjK--BRCzv-Wyu4OTosEBEiQAgFp5ONPrg7Eg7TnxzURBlhLGfZ_UH-o2NqLa4EHS_ZqyAGcaAjLk8P8HAQ

Going 19-0

Of course I reserve the right to adjust my expectations after the first qtr of the opener.

Bob,

Mike

Mike,

You've got me by a few years I saw my first Indians game at the Ol' Muni in 1959 at age 8 still have the program and grew up during the great Jim Brown era, ahhh, nice era to enjoy sports in NE Ohio.

Michael

U got any more of those blue cap shrooms?

Delirious wishful expectations, it's what we hang our hats on til the season begins.

I'm looking forward to watching a bunch of young players excited to prove themselves blending in and establishing chemistry with the veterans already here. I'm excited to turn this thing around feeling great we've already increased our draft volumes for 2017 and 2018.

Game face on! Let's kickoff and kickass!

I am looking forward to getting the ESPN alert at the end of the season that Haslam has sent these bean counters and baseball nerds packing and the inevitable hope that the next hires won't be idiots this time.

I think you're going to be disappointed. Haslam may have learned blowing everything up every year or two doesn't work.

Nice. Guys like you have pretty much seen it all. Glad you're sticking with 'em with basically 20+ years of tragedy.

Well I am an eternal optimist even though the losing is tiring. Plus, I really do enjoy the tailgating.

Looking forward to next Sunday for sure!!!

Tailgating is a must! I'll be tailgating at all games this year, wearing my Lavalava, eating brats, dogs, & washing 'em down with Old Leghumpers!

Mike

So I've been on vacation for a little over a week, and you don't tend to get much wifi in the alps. Did I miss much?! Holy fuck. Mingo, Gilbert and Lee traded. Kruger cut. Pierre 'Darling of the Board circa march 2014' Desir cut (now down to 2/6 players from 2014 draft, thanks, Ray Farmer). Punting 'battle' looked so shonky both were cut after one game - why not just go get Colquitt from the start? Then a day after cuts to 53, 5 more players cut/waived.

I will say, I think a lot of those things needed to happen. A lot of people were assuming Mingo would be cut, and Gilbert too, so to get a draft pick for both was pretty decent. Speaks volumes that out of two first round picks from the last few years and a punter, the punter got the highest trade value (again, well done FO).

I'm not convinced cutting Kurger *and* trading Mingo was a solid idea - we now have Orchard, Ogbah and Schobert as our OLBs (plus some guy we picked up off waivers listed only as 'LB' so maybe?). I do wonder if this means we see more four man fronts, where Nassib can go to DE alongside Orchard and Ogbah. I guess it means a bigger (or just some kind of) role for Armonty Bryant after suspension, at OLB?

Also we cut the running back that we got from Cinci, who everyone assumed was going to be amazing because Hue Jackson brought him over. Oh well. Meanwhile Terrence West is contending to be the starting RB in Baltimore...never mind, I think we're better with Crow/Duke, by and large.

With Desir gone, and Gaines, and K Williams (forgot to mention that shit show earlier), are we just a little light at CB? I know Desir was retraining as a safety but he could have gone back easily enough. Haden, Williams, Taylor figure to be the starters, but I honestly don't know who our 4th CB is at this point, especially since Caldwell has been waived (to PS presumably).

So, with all that in mind, what am I looking forward to? I'm coming up a bit short here to be honest. I'm looking forward to seeing if Coleman can knock off the rust and look like he apparently did in TC. I'm looking forward to seeing if TP can be a legit deep threat in real time. I'm looking forward to seeing if our O generally is up to much - but that will be evident after a few games. By which point, if it's not, it's going to be a *long* season.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nassib play, and if Nate '4th quarter of 4th preseason game' Orchard and Ogbah can combine for a semi-legitimate pass rush. My gut says no right now. But we'll see.

One thing for sure - it's boom or bust on O, and it's tepid mediocrity or bust on D.

I'm looking forward to watching a bunch of young players excited to prove themselves blending in and establishing chemistry with the veterans already here. I'm excited to turn this thing around feeling great we've already increased our draft volumes for 2017 and 2018.

Game face on! Let's kickoff and kickass!

I second that

Archived