THE BROWNS BOARD

Sashi's Real Plan (supposedly)

Adoug319

Find it bizarre that people honestly think the likes of Podesta and Sashi are stupid enough to have walked in and thought let's just do the same as baseball.

Everything you've thought of they've thought of and a lot more. They're not idiots. The total opposite.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find it bizarre that people honestly think the likes of Podesta and Sashi are stupid enough to have walked in and thought let's just do the same as baseball.

Everything you've thought of they've thought of and a lot more. They're not idiots. The total opposite.

And yet here we sit at 0-9 with a ton of built in holes that other teams have exploited to the max. I wonder if that figure ever came into their calculations.

Yep, sheer geniuses. I'm impressed.

And yet here we sit at 0-9 with a ton of built in holes that other teams have exploited to the max. I wonder if that figure ever came into their calculations.

Yep, sheer geniuses. I'm impressed.

Yes you said it yourself. Nine games.

I agree Mud-I don't think anyone in the FO anticipated the extent of the effects of a major rebuild. And I have a theory on that concerning the differences between baseball and football. In baseball you can go a long way with pitching and middle of the road players whereas in football the opposition is always seeking the weak link to exploit which can lead to a win. It only takes one or two not so great players (or loss of them to injury) to provide that weakness that leads to losses. It's far more of a team sport in that there must be a unified 11 on two sides of the ball to succeed. Baseball-not so much. You can have 2-3 guys who might be decent fielders but not so great at hitting, but with very good pitching, you can still win a lot of games. We have a baseball FO still trying to figure out how analytics can be adapted to football.

Thought provoking post...

The games are different. The analytics are different. In baseball you have to balance offense and defense by assessing both in each player. Not so in football. So in someways individual player evaluations will be simpler while team assembly will be far more complex due to the very interdependence you cite.

Prompted one additional thought/question... I wonder if DePo produced an expected win range for Jimmah much as he did in the Moneyball scene for the A's owner?

But they're not genius' either.....

Based upon games in season 1?

You must be a genius.

Nor would you have to tell the players. Play calls on both sides of the ball are more than enough to tank a game in a half.

That said.... ummmmm... no.... not buying it.

After watching the TNF game, I'm beginning to wonder ... They've looked like a football team in the 1st half of most games this season, even winning at half ( 5 games ), and then looked like total garbage and have gotten blown out.

They look like they've mailed it in and are just going through the motions.

And lastly .... why would you take out Kessler of the Balt game, put in McCown who promptly starts taking huge losses on sacks, as well as throwing INTs ( yes, one was forced by fuckhead Suggs. )

After watching the TNF game, I'm beginning to wonder ... They've looked like a football team in the 1st half of most games this season, even winning at half ( 5 games ), and then looked like total garbage and have gotten blown out.

They look like they've mailed it in and are just going through the motions.

And lastly .... why would you take out Kessler of the Balt game, put in McCown who promptly starts taking huge losses on sacks, as well as throwing INTs ( yes, one was forced by fuckhead Suggs. )

Because they're purposely trying to lose

How many mind boggling decisions is it going to take for you guys to see?

How many games of us being competitive in the first half, and looking like a completely different team in the 2nd half is it going to take?

I cant get with the idea that they are trying to lose or that the #1 was their goal.....not seeing it.....Especially since there is no clear target at the #1.....ala an Andrew Luck or something...that is worth losing a whole season over.....

(and, as Tour so astutely pointed out, the value drops w/o a super prospect at the top)....so tank a whole season for ???? who?

Grossi was on the radio yesterday and played a Shashi sound bite from earlier this season....and the basic gist was Shashi saying they are planning to win this year and show immediate, measurable improvement......and when asked how many wins would be an improvement 4 or 5?.....his reply was "any less than that would be a major disappointment.....soooo, less than 4-5 wins are a major disappointment, as per Shashi(the plans architect)....so, what would that make 0-16, a major what?....success?.....nope

I dont think he would have said that if tanking all the games was his plan......he woulda talked around it......

Honestly think "he" thought they would win......and was wrong....simple as that

What a joyous 2nd half.

Still not buying the tank...

Also still can't believe the FO is "shocked"...

Tour- I'm gonna spew in a new thread. I thought another loss wouldn't hurt. But this is BS, it sucks, and I can't take it anymore.

Tour- I'm gonna spew in a new thread. I thought another loss wouldn't hurt. But this is BS, it sucks, and I can't take it anymore.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Do you mean so we can get 'better' players instead of backups and special teamers?

Blasphemy!

...how are you ballpeen? It's me, aka VetteDawg...

Dang Vette.....how the heck are you?? Well I hope! I am doing fine...well....except for the Browns, but in the big scheme, that is small potatos.

Stoidi's. That's idiots spelled backwards.

Sashi in over his head.

But- but- he went to Harvard- he must be really smart. When it comes to Harvard- money talks. My former bosses' kid, National Merit Scholar- decided not to apply, because it would cost $500 bucks just to hear Harvard say "you're not good enough". OTOH, the other guy's kid gets in because dad donated a couple million to Harvard's bloated endowment fund.

But they're not genius' either.....

Actually they probably are. Harvard attorney who rose to the head of a major sports franchise by age 40 and nerd who rewrote Baseball analysis.

This sucks. But it's not about this year.

Let's hope Philly gets back on that losing track, so the draft currency grows.

Z

Actually they probably are. Harvard attorney who rose to the head of a major sports franchise by age 40 and nerd who rewrote Baseball analysis.

This sucks. But it's not about this year.

Let's hope Philly gets back on that losing track, so the draft currency grows.

Z

They have Seahawks, Cowboys and Cincy still yet to play.

Nope. He knew exactly where he was, and what he got himself into. I think you may have confused the Browns with a team containing NFL-level talent.

But isn't he now in charge of drafting and signing talent? I know we all knew this team was gonna stink either purposefully or not BUT given the extraordinary # of picks he had last year and to see not one blue-chipper on the roster is disturbing.

They have Seahawks, Cowboys and Cincy still yet to play.

Cakewalk...

But isn't he now in charge of drafting and signing talent? I know we all knew this team was gonna stink either purposefully or not BUT given the extraordinary # of picks he had last year and to see not one blue-chipper on the roster is disturbing.

No, he's not. At least not as I understand his role.

In assessing talent:

He has the final say, if necessary, but his primary job is to facilitate consensus between the scouts and the analytics boys. When they can't agree he makes the call based upon the best argument he hears. And odds are that call is to pass on the player being debated.

In negotiating:

Much bigger role, but again the worth of the player, be it his place on the big board or size of a contract offer, will come out of the assessment process.

Archived