THE BROWNS BOARD

Philly Pick Watch...

Tour2ma

Philly pick looking good, but that damn 2nd rounder from the saggy Tits (Conklin uufff!!) is looking like a trade up situation to firm them bad boys up

With last nite's Carolina win, Philly's #1 rose to #7 overall. :)

You sure? It might be #8 (SOS) but that's OK. If the Eagles lose out it could be as high as #5. When the Chargers beat the Browns it moves up another spot assuming the Iggles lose.

Could be #7 or could be #12.

Giants need to win out and Dallas lose out to win division. So, pretty good chance they beat Philly this week.

If Dallas beats Detroit this week, they win division and have home field throughout playoffs.

Do they protect starters in last road game at Philly? So, Philly win.

At 6-10, Philly pick might be 12th.

Do Browns use both picks or trade one of them?

The Philly pick is definitely looking good, but I can't see them losing the next two for some reason. Wentz wasn't very impressive on Sunday, but that drive to potentially win the game was outstanding. Kessler had a similar chance against the Redskins when we were down 7, and he threw his first awful ball of the game and Norman made him pay. I think that was pretty much the only chance Cody had to lead a game-winning/tying drive, and I think at THAT time, many of us believed he'd have another this season. So far, I can't think of one.

Eagles play the Giants this weekend, and that Giants team is just plain weird to me. They look awful at times, and then they look good. They can look awful and good in the same GAME. That being said, they certainly win more than they lose, so we'll see. The thought of us having the #1 pick and also another in the top ten is baffling. I went back a few years and looked at some examples of players that could've been drafted at #1 and in the top ten, and the results were terrifying. Basically, the review of picks confirmed what we already know: There are no such things as a sure fire pick. Not even at #1. I'll start at 2013 to give an idea of what I'm talking about:

2013 Draft

#1 pick was Eric Fisher for the Chiefs. Ouch. I haven't followed Fisher TOO much, but I'm pretty sure he has not lived up to his #1 draft status. I could be wrong, but I want to say the Chiefs started using him at Guard because he wasn't cutting it at Tackle. Again, I could be getting him mixed up with another highly drafted OL, but I THINK Fisher has struggled. Generally, taking a Tackle at #1 overall is considered "the safest pick" in many people's minds, but that's not always the case. Can you IMAGINE how pissed you'd be as a fan? You want some more awful picks? Man, check out the rest of the TOP TEN in the draft (in order after Fisher).

Luke Joekel, OT - Jags: As a rookie, he played only 5 games at RT before suffering a season ending ankle injury. In 2014, he was rated as "one of the worst tackles in the NFL", and was responsible for 8 sacks. He was later moved to Guard. (Jesus!)

Dion Jordan, DE - Fins: Played all 16 games as a rookie, and has been suspended just about every game since. Had a knee injury, and wasn't even activated in 2016. (Damn!)

Ezekiel Ansah, DE - Lions: FINALLY, a productive draft pick. For those of you counting at home, it took FIVE PICKS before somebody got a winner. How TERRIFYING is that? Ansah had 8 sacks as a rookie, 7.5, then 14.5!!, then only ONE this year as he battled injury.

Barkevious Mingo, DE - Browns: I hate you.

Jonathan Cooper, OT - Cardinals: You know the story. We could possibly extract some use from this guy, and I'm cautiously optimistic. He's physical, and he's desperate. Fingers crossed...(however, he's still yet another bust in top ten!!)

Tavan Austin, WR - Rams: Eh...definitely a capable play-maker, but I wouldn't say he's lived up to his lofty draft status. He has 12 career receiving TD's, and never had more than 477 receiving yards in a season. Eh...

Dee Mlliner, CB - Jets: Injuries sent him out of the league after 2014. Another top ten bust (yikes! Scared yet?)

Chance Womack, G - Titans: Nothing special, Titans declined his option year I believe.

Guys, I don't have the time to go through the next drafts, but WOW WOW WOW. People may say that the 2013 draft was simply an anomaly, but it just goes to show you that there are no givens in a draft...even in the top ten, AND even if you just hope to get a "serviceable starter". Obviously, a team wants A LOT more than THAT with a top ten pick, but there's no guarantee. Not even close. 2014 appears to be better (in the top 10), but you can still find two busts without looking too hard. And yes, one of those is Justin Gilbert (naturally).

Fischer has finally started to play like a 1st rounder if not a #1 overall. KC is happy anyway...

You sure?

Heard it on TV and read it on the internet... so it must be true...

Giants need to win out and Dallas lose out to win division. So, pretty good chance they beat Philly this week.

It's PHI's finale vs. da 'Boys I worry about. Rivals or not, I can see DAL mailing it in and resting their starters for much, if not all, of the game.

Of course DAL's backups may be enough when they include Romo and McFadden.

giants need the game tomorrow night but it's a division rival and seen the gints choke too many times here to say auto chalk it up as a win. if that pick falls anywhere in the top ten i'm happy. use the number 1 pick on trubisky then let the phone calls begin.

this franchise has been HISTORICALLY bad since it's reinception. maybe the 'it has been written so it shall be done' needs to happen before the eyes and ears of the owner and future owners know their place is and what their legacy means to such a storied frnchise.

i want wins too but not at the cost of a player who might be the one to turn it all around.

There's a part of me that says one win and the second pick would actually be a blessing. The stress and pressure of the first pick is extreme. Like you said, we're still getting an ABSURD talent at #2, AND we wouldn't be 0-16. Allen certainly fits with our scheme, although I'm quite certain we could find a use for Garrett, LOL. I remember people wondering how Joey Bosa would fit into a 3-4 defense (heck, I was one of them). Apparently, that problem is nonexistent. Bosa is having the best rookie season of any pass rusher in the past dozen years or maybe longer. No...we didn't want him I guess. *sigh* Ogbah has at least been playing better, and I'd LOVE for him to get 3 more sacks during these last games. Rivers can get rid of the ball quickly, and he's NOT the kind of guy you want to blitz, but he's also slow. Cmon Ogbah! We also got Coleman in the draft, but I wouldn't expect much out of him. Griffin can't get him the ball, the field will be frozen, and good luck trying to complete a deep ball. It'll be another 3 catch day for around 20 yards. Each catch probably coming on that quick hitter, hoping that Coleman breaks 47 tackles for a first down.

I'd love to know just what our team's plans are for the QB position. I've been hearing a reoccurring theme lately from fans and from a couple writers, and that's to draft a QB super early, AND trade for a veteran such as Garoppolo or even Glennon. I'm not sure that I agree with that, but I can understand it. Basically, put as many bullets into the gun as possible and see which one fires. Problem with that is, we have SO MANY other needs, we can't really afford to invest that heavily in ONE position.

Right now, we really don't have any idea how the QB's will be rated. The rankings always change in the months leading up to the draft, unless you have a Luck or Winston declaring. Heck, I've seen Watson in the 2nd round, and I've seen him in the top ten. If someone put a gun to my head and made me guess, I'd say that Kizer's arrow will begin to point upward, and he'll gather momentum. Teams will fall in love with his build, his arm, and his combine results. They'll say that Notre Dame was such a shit show, he did the best anybody could. Mitch will slightly tail off because of his lack of starting experience, and he'll be the second QB taken. Watson will still go in the first, but won't be top ten. Mitch makes quick decisions and fires an accurate ball. Picking at #2, Chip Kelly will have a hard time passing on Mitch, but I think he will. Problem is, the Bears and Jets still need a QB, and they both pick before our Eagles pick. Wish we knew the price of trading for Garoppolo...that's where I'm leaning right now.

Well this top 10 pick is going up in smoke pretty fast. Philly 14-0 in 5 minutes.

Yup, watched it all. Manning played like Mud Hen. Pick 6 another int, and errant deep throws Wentz outplayed him.

Yep, remember that franchise QB the Browns always want to chase? Wouldn't you know the one they didn't chase is him. That was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league hungry to stay in the chase with the Cowboys. All in THE PLAN.

Yep, remember that franchise QB the Browns always want to chase? Wouldn't you know the one they didn't chase is him. That was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league hungry to stay in the chase with the Cowboys. All in THE PLAN.

...and he completed 13/24 passes for ~150 yards, a touchdown and a pick. Shredded that D, clearly.

...and he completed 13/24 passes for ~150 yards, a touchdown and a pick. Shredded that D, clearly.

against the gints and their D on a nationally televised game?

better than what we got or have had in decades. still like wentz. he will be their guy for 15 years.

the browns?,,,,?,,,,

Archived