THE BROWNS BOARD

With the 1st pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns select

darren15

Sure, but then you have the "closed end/open end" terminology. Then the Sam/Will/Mike. then you basic Left End, Right End, Left Outside LB, Right Outside LB....and who knows how many other terms.

I mean, the Stronside Backer/End plays on the side that the TE is on. But a TE can switch sides on every play. Or go in motion. Is he at one instance the Strongside End and in the next instance the weakside end?

If a guy always plays the left or the right, again he could be SDE or WDE on different plays.

And what about where no TE is used? Five reciever sets.

Strong side of the offensive formation is generally to the field - so in this case you'll either go with that or your coaches will determine what they feel is the best matchup in pass rush.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong side of the offensive formation is generally to the field - so in this case you'll either go with that or your coaches will determine what they feel is the best matchup in pass rush.

Sometimes there's still a RB in the backfield to determine which is which...

Knowing who won the 1911 southeast Arizona regional high school football championship doesn't mean you "know football" in the sense we're discussing it here. You just exposed yourself. Watch some basic YouTube football instructionals and come back to us.

Knowing who won the 1911 southeast Arizona regional high school football championship doesn't mean you "know football" in the sense we're discussing it here. You just exposed yourself. Watch some basic YouTube football instructionals and come back to us.

Actually. YES, it does. Knowing the history of the game is more important to most fans. NO ONE cares about stupid little minutiae about techniques to play the game......or about how the same exact thing can have 40 different ways of saying it. No one gives a shit if a play is called a Z 40 X bubble Omaha Q-tip or a Gobble down gut buster Jackson Hole A gap Mongoloid.

or if a guy is an SDE or a WDE.

We care about winning, and getting players with talent.

Get us a QB that can play like Aaron Rodgers, then get back to us.

Get back to us when you learn something that people care about.

I'm gonna have to slightly disagree here, just based on what I've seen - "strong" has more often been used in conjunction to whatever side features a TE/RB/most receivers (dependent on formation). Near/Far, Tall/Short, Open/Closed has more often been used in conjunction with field position. At least, as far as any defense I've ever been a part of.

I suppose the terminology can and will be different, but I know that most of the defenses I played with tried to segment out Strong/Weak and Near/Far as much as possible just to give more options for the formation and playcall. For instance, you could have a Sam and a Will backer that are always strong and weak side, unless the Will is also particularly good in space, to which he would then shift to a Frank (or my personal favorite, "Fat") when the defense shows a strong formation alignment to the "Far" side of the field.

It just allows for better defensive segmentation, IMO. Granted, this was often on a case by case basis.

I'm gonna have to slightly disagree here, just based on what I've seen - "strong" has more often been used in conjunction to whatever side features a TE/RB/most receivers (dependent on formation). Near/Far, Tall/Short, Open/Closed has more often been used in conjunction with field position. At least, as far as any defense I've ever been a part of.

I suppose the terminology can and will be different, but I know that most of the defenses I played with tried to segment out Strong/Weak and Near/Far as much as possible just to give more options for the formation and playcall. For instance, you could have a Sam and a Will backer that are always strong and weak side, unless the Will is also particularly good in space, to which he would then shift to a Frank (or my personal favorite, "Fat") when the defense shows a strong formation alignment to the "Far" side of the field.

It just allows for better defensive segmentation, IMO. Granted, this was often on a case by case basis.

Aside from attempting to get a specific receiver in 1on1 and making the coverage that much easier for a QB to read, or on say interior hole calls on running downs - how often do you think an offense breaks down, percentage wise, having the strength of its personnel to the boundary?

I said "in the sense we're discussing it here." Your trivia threads do not at all help you understand technique and schemes relevant right now, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself it does.

Who the fuck ever said they did? They help one understand the history of the game.

And honestly, who give a shit that much about understanding the techniques and schemes with which the game is played....beyond "Where is so and so going to line up" This is a Fan Forum, not a players or coaches forum. Hello!

Aside from attempting to get a specific receiver in 1on1 and making the coverage that much easier for a QB to read, or on say interior hole calls on running downs - how often do you think an offense breaks down, percentage wise, having the strength of its personnel to the boundary?

Dependent on scheme and personnel. Specific examples I can recall offhand were more geared toward speed-based teams loading the personnel to the boundary in order get their guy in space field-side. In that case, the offense would be looking for a 1v1 matchup issue with a Sam playing field side and Will playing boundary...both of which are essentially wins for the offense. However, segmenting off your S/W and F/N or F/B (whatever you want to call it) you'd get your rangier Will backer to play the field as opposed to the the boundary in this situation and your Sam on boundary side. Similarly, boundary side power runs can often happen with the strength of the personnel to the short side in attempts to get the Will over 2TE/heavy/jumbo looks.

I wouldn't call it a staple of any offensive philosophy by any means, however it is present from time to time. Defenses obviously specifically gameplan for unique scenarios such as what I just described, but having a differentiator between S/W and F/N is easier for players to remember than having a Sam say "okay, on formation A to this side of the field, I shift to W, unless formation A is on this side of the field then I'm S, but formation B to this side I'm S, etc."

As you're alluding to, more often than not, a team's field side and strong side are the same. However, in cases that they aren't, having a second differentiator allows defenses to make quicker (and easier to remember) adjustments on the fly. In order to prevent that confusion, almost all teams I played for having different monikers for strength of personnel and field side.

So we're basically in agreement then.

Ok, that was easy. See? This is how boards should work.

Kind of. Except strong refers to personnel in most cases more often than it does side of field.

Just because they line up more personnel more often to the field side doesn't necessarily make that the strong side. It's just a happy coincidence. You can have a weak far side.

Kind of. Except strong refers to personnel in most cases more often than it does side of field.

Just because they line up more personnel more often to the field side doesn't necessarily make that the strong side. It's just a happy coincidence. You can have a weak far side.

Well aware, I'm not saying the strength of the formation makes that the wide side of the field.

it's usually why I stick to field and boundary terms.

Archived