THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Draft Central

The Gipper

seeing who he passed over to tab Ramczyk at #12.

But, God, I still want Foster... even more with the threat of Cinci grabbing him. CAR does seem to me to be a plausible trade partner and even by the more expensive JJ chart a trade-up from 12 to 8 should start around something like: 1.08 <==> 1.12 + 3.Comp + 4.01

Carolina maybe the trade-up team.Their real need was a guy like any T named Ramczyk last season. But Foster maybe the back-up plan on a aging Thomas Davis. Luke's only back-up is AJ Klein.Soon to be a FA. Shaq Thompson proves they have a great LB coach. Simply don't see a QB run early that keeps Foster out top 5. but we got time & draft value to keep digging..

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would only cost a third and fourth to move from 12 to 8? DO IT.

I certainly would if Foster is there. But we know how our FO likes quantity over quality. But here are also a ton of really good CBs to chose from @ 12. I can live with that.

Foster seems to be that special of a player that would warrant that trade.

but cb is deep, and you would be giving up a rock solid OG/C, and

a good safety....

tough decisions, but the Browns finally have smart people to make them. I'm good

with whatever they decide.

Compensatory picks have been added to the First-Pick draft game now. 12 picks.

Round 1 Pick 1

Round 1 Pick 12

Round 2 Pick 1

Round 2 Pick 20

Round 3 Pick 1

Round 3 Pick 39

Round 4 Pick 1

Round 4 Pick 36

Round 5 Pick 1

Round 5 Pick 31

Round 5 Pick 34

Round 6 Pick 1

Round 1 Pick 1

Round 1 Pick 12

Round 2 Pick 1

Round 2 Pick 20

Round 3 Pick 1

Round 3 Pick 39

Round 4 Pick 1

Round 4 Pick 36

Round 5 Pick 1

Round 5 Pick 31

Round 5 Pick 34

Round 6 Pick 1

We already traded away the second 3rd rounder to NE for Jamie Collins and one of the 5th rounders for another trade we made so make sure you are aware of this. Otherwise, you'll be adding 2 guys in places other NFL teams will be selecting.

Well that's not good...

Here's what I came up with anyways...

Round 1 Pick 1: Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)

Round 1 Pick 12: Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama (A+)

Round 2 Pick 1: Desmond King, CB/CB, Iowa ( B)

Round 2 Pick 20: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia (B+)

Round 3 Pick 1: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech (A)

Round 3 Pick 39: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M (A+)

Round 4 Pick 1: Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State (A)

Round 4 Pick 36: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (B+)

Round 5 Pick 1: Avery Gennesy, OG, Texas A&M (B-)

Round 5 Pick 31: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina (A)

Round 5 Pick 34: Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech (A+)

Round 6 Pick 1: Freddie Stevenson, FB, Florida State (B-)

Your Future Picks:

2018 Round 1 Pick

2019 Round 1 Pick

I know, 2 FBs right?

"I'll give the credit to (South defensive coordinator) Gregg Williams, and the way he coached us this week and the mentality he instilled in us," South team defensive end Jordan Willis of Kansas State said. "I think everybody accepted his coaching style and ran with it, and that's why we played the way we played."

So Jackson and Williams get their first victory of the year! That's a good sign. Here's a quote from Jordan Willis on Williams' coaching mentality, hope it carries over to the Browns as well.

Heard that with the Sr. Bowl win Hue's 2017 win total now equals his 2016's...

Funny enough that I chuckled as I winced...

It would only cost a third and fourth to move from 12 to 8? DO IT.

Absolutely, but bear in mind it's only a reasonable opening bid per the most generous chart when trading down. Once word of CAR being open to move the pick gets out, the price will rise.

Obviously based upon projections of awards that come out of a very complicated calculation that the NFL for some reason keeps secret.

We already traded away the second 3rd rounder to NE for Jamie Collins and one of the 5th rounders for another trade we made so make sure you are aware of this. Otherwise, you'll be adding 2 guys in places other NFL teams will be selecting.

Which I think the game is already reflecting since it only lists a single R3 comp and almost every projections has us receiving two.

Oddly though it does not credit the Pats with the one they are due from us.

I decided to give the Fanspeak simulator a try and this is what I got. In my opinion it fills most of our needs and adds a lot of players who could be contributors from Day 1

Round 1, Pick 1-Myles Garrett, EDGE, Texas A&M

Round 1, Pick 12-Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

Round 2, Pick 1-Desmond King, CB, Iowa

Round 2, Pick 20-DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame

Round 3, Pick 1-Pat Elflein, OG, Ohio State

Round 4, Pick 1-Ethan Pocic, C, LSU

Round 4, Pick 36-Isaac Rochell, DT, Notre Dame

Round 5, Pick 1-Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

Round 5, Pick 31-Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut

Round 5, Pick 36-Skai Moore, LB, South Carolina

Round 6, Pick 1-Pharaoh Brown, TE, Oregon

King is said to be a fs in the pros, kizer isn't the qb I would draft anywhere, Zay and Obi

will be long gone, in the third? round maybe...

nah. Don't need a late DL, need a cb and a fs. It's just tough to do a mock this year,

much less this early.

Don't think this one's been posted yet, but I'm quite happy with it (in part because I'm getting ready to board the Mahomes train)

http://nflmocks.com/2017/01/29/cleveland-browns-3-round-mock-draft/

1. Garrett

2. Lattimore CB - OSU

3. McDowell DT - Michigan State

4. Mahomes QB - Texas Tech

5. Baker FS - Washington

It fits with my opinion that we're only a QB away on offense but not to use a top top pick on one, and fills a lot of holes with instant starters on D, seriously upgrades the secondary and DL.

If we draft Mahomes in the second round, who would you want starting the season at QB? It'd be awesome if Mahomes grabbed the position early with superior play, but that's pretty rare. Assuming Mahomes needs time to develop, what do you see our starting QB situation looking like? Kessler? RG III? Possibly Tyrod Taylor?

Here's where I think I am with our QB debacle (at least for today, LOL). I either want one of the top three candidates, or I want Jimmy Garappolo and/or Tyrod Taylor. I wouldn't mind seeing RG III, as he isn't that expensive, and I feel his injury to begin the season was a fluke and horrible luck. I'd also be on board trading for Garopplo and NOT drafting a QB at all.

1. Garrett

2. Lattimore CB - OSU

5. Baker FS - Washington

That's pretty good, Chris, except the McDowell pick. The kid doesn't

love football - imho, seems he is very talented, but attitude makes him

seriously polarizing. He's dropping down draft boards.

I'm coming around to Garrett - I have doubts about how stalwart he is

vs the run... I tend to lean towards Allen, He is a trainwreck to offenses - not

a very fast qb getter.

Personally, I would love to find a terrific lb, or OT to add at the top of the second.

There is no risk at all in taking Garrett. The second sentence make little sense.

Not sure what you don't get. You need a player at a position. There is a quality player out there that position worthy of being taken. You don't take him, ergo, you have reached for that other player....even if he is equally or even higher rated.

1: R1P1

EDGE MYLES GARRETT

TEXAS A&M

12: R1P12

LB REUBEN FOSTER

ALABAMA

33: R2P1

TE O.J. HOWARD

ALABAMA

52: R2P20

S EDDIE JACKSON

ALABAMA

65: R3P1

CB JOURDAN LEWIS

MICHIGAN

106: R4P1

C ETHAN POCIC

LSU

141: R4P36

WR MALACHI DUPRE

LSU

146: R5P1

DL TANOH KPASSAGNON

VILLANOVA

176: R5P31

QB BRADY GUSTAFSON

MONTANA

180: R5P35

RB COREY CLEMENT

WISCONSIN

186: R6P1

WR SPEEDY NOIL

TEXAS A&M

If we draft Mahomes in the second round, who would you want starting the season at QB? It'd be awesome if Mahomes grabbed the position early with superior play, but that's pretty rare. Assuming Mahomes needs time to develop, what do you see our starting QB situation looking like? Kessler? RG III? Possibly Tyrod Taylor?

Here's where I think I am with our QB debacle (at least for today, LOL). I either want one of the top three candidates, or I want Jimmy Garappolo and/or Tyrod Taylor. I wouldn't mind seeing RG III, as he isn't that expensive, and I feel his injury to begin the season was a fluke and horrible luck. I'd also be on board trading for Garopplo and NOT drafting a QB at all.

If we draft Mahomes, I probably cut RG3. Could also cut McCown if that hasn't already happened though of the two, he'd be the one to get picked up by, say, the 49ers to back up their new QB. I don't think I want him starting day one, I think he makes too many risky decisions and would get baited into a whole lot of throws, especially against the defences within our division, but he's got a whole lot of potential. I know it's a small part, but his arm strength is phenomenal as it is, and his footwork is horrible. His pocket presence is pretty good from what I see, though he can sometimes take off a little too eagerly when he could just take a couple of steps and make a pass, but when he does take off, he keeps his eyes downfield, and is big enough (6'3", 230lbs) that he can take a hit.

That's not to say none of that applies to other QBs in this draft, but if you're going to take a guy who's got to sit and learn for a year why take him high? I understand that 'high or not at all' approach and I'm usually fully behind it, just I keep seeing more and more I like from Mahomes. If we're going to be run first, having a relatively mobile QB that can make accurate and deep throws on the run allows us to really get in to heavy play action. RG3 can do it but can't necessarily do much else.

Kessler can be the 'won't lose you games' QB to allow the team to grow into wins, and Mahomes could in a year or two come in and be the 'will win you games' QB (at which point we could also trade Kessler if he leads us to anything respectable like 7-9 or 8-8 in the meantime).

1. Garrett

2. Lattimore CB - OSU

5. Baker FS - Washington

That's pretty good, Chris, except the McDowell pick. The kid doesn't

love football - imho, seems he is very talented, but attitude makes him

seriously polarizing. He's dropping down draft boards.

I'm coming around to Garrett - I have doubts about how stalwart he is

vs the run... I tend to lean towards Allen, He is a trainwreck to offenses - not

a very fast qb getter.

Personally, I would love to find a terrific lb, or OT to add at the top of the second.

I can take or leave McDowell of those five picks, I agree, I could happily go for a new center instead. If the rest of the draft goes like that, we're in a position to make a 'luxury' pick - OJ Howard if he falls that far, or a top linebacker like you say. OT I'm not *so* concerned about. I think besides center, our OL is actually in pretty decent shape, and to be honest with Greco the floor and Reiter/Fabiano the ceiling, center might not be all that big of a problem as it is. Another corner wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either, given Haden's reliability issues.

There is something seriously wrong over at Fan-Speak's sim.

Don't think this one's been posted yet, but I'm quite happy with it (in part because I'm getting ready to board the Mahomes train)

http://nflmocks.com/2017/01/29/cleveland-browns-3-round-mock-draft/

The article speaks of McD starting beside Danny... I'm not sure they picked the correct side putting him at the 3-tech DT in the base 4-3.

In nickle and dime? No doubt he can slide inside, but then Danny will normally be out of there.

If we draft Mahomes, I probably cut RG3.

Not seeing us cutting our winningest, 2016 QB who only had a four-and-a-piece game audition and finished with his best two outings.

A new name on Bruglers latest at #12

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

The more I think about corner at 12 the more I dislike it. It's probably the toughest position to play in the NFL right now with the rules so they'll have their struggles, id prefer to leave CB til the later rounds.

The more I think about corner at 12 the more I dislike it. It's probably the toughest position to play in the NFL right now with the rules so they'll have their struggles, id prefer to leave CB til the later rounds.

Especially considering how deep the CB class is.

The more I think about corner, the less I see it as a primary need. Also, the more I think about corner, the more I see it as a primary need.

Let me explain. Haden and Taylor can play inside and out to a fairly high level. Boddy Calhoun can be a great slot guy and play outside in a pinch. In those three we have a lot of flexibility to mix up defensive looks, and with a top safety (hello Mr Hooker) it could be an effective secondary.

On the flip side, Haden has been injured so much the last few yrars if you go in to the season relying on him you're a fool. Not quite Josh Gordon levels of foolishness, but still.

Solution? Use the depth of corners in this draft to get a serviceable corner in the third round or so (Jackson would make me happy), and find a safety early on (Hooker or Adams) and go from there.

Garrett

Hooker (possibly have to trade up costing a second round pick...)

Mahomes

Jackson

That'll do for a start.

Archived