THE BROWNS BOARD

Border War... Oh, it's on, Mexico...

Tour2ma

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how exactly do you anticipate that trade deficit changing? Because Mexico isn't going to get significantly richer to buy stuff from the US, the US isn't going to get significantly poorer so you stop buying stuff from Mexico. Maybe a factory or two will move across the border but I can't see it becoming a massive trend.

Maybe it is because we hold all the cards and Mexico has more to lose in a trade war than us that Trump takes an antagonistic tone with Mexico in declaring they (Mexico) will pay for the wall. First of all why should Mexico pay for the wall when it is our wall and secondly what politician in his right mind in Mexico will go along with Trump on paying for the wall. It would be political suicide for any Mexican politician. Trump needs to give Mexico a way to save face on this instead of trying to rub their face in the mud. I agree with what Trump is doing in securing the border and wanting to renegotiate the bad trade deal NAFTA but I just disagree with his tactics.

Maybe it is because we hold all the cards and Mexico has more to lose in a trade war than us that Trump takes an antagonistic tone with Mexico in declaring they (Mexico) will pay for the wall. First of all why should Mexico pay for the wall when it is our wall and secondly what politician in his right mind in Mexico will go along with Trump on paying for the wall. It would be political suicide for any Mexican politician. Trump needs to give Mexico a way to save face on this instead of trying to rub their face in the mud. I agree with what Trump is doing in securing the border and wanting to renegotiate the bad trade deal NAFTA but I just disagree with his tactics.

Which is lovely rhetoric, but it doesn't address the fact that the deficit exists for a reason - the US is a rich country and a consumer of goods and Mexico is a poor country and producer. You can by all means produce a high quality of goods and export them to other rich countries - like Japan and Germany do - but you won't get Mexico spending hundreds of billions of dollars more than they currently do because they simply don't have the money.

I wonder how many people have said they'd be happy to pay a little extra for goods made in America?

WSS

It might be more than a little extra. For certain goods that are more necessities than wants, the price could go up alot without that foreign competition. It remiains to be seen how thisvworks out but reality is that the conservative econ people are prob gonna shit themselves over this. Walmart might take a bath cause their whole business model is predicated on cheap foreign made goods

Which is lovely rhetoric, but it doesn't address the fact that the deficit exists for a reason - the US is a rich country and a consumer of goods and Mexico is a poor country and producer. You can by all means produce a high quality of goods and export them to other rich countries - like Japan and Germany do - but you won't get Mexico spending hundreds of billions of dollars more than they currently do because they simply don't have the money.

There is always 2 sides to a debate. Personally I thought Ross Perot was spot on in identifying the problems of NAFTA:

I know you Whiney pussy liberals don't know how to negotiate from a point of strength. Let's put it this way: Mexico needs the US. The US does not need Mexico.

There are dozens of countries that can do the same thing Mexico does. The US on the other hand is the wealthiest country in world history.

What would 2008 Liberal Pumpkin Eater say though?

then buy AMERICAN. Mexico is poor, because they have a gov living in fear of the

major drug cartels. They make one wrong move, and they had better flee the country.

Penis Nieto is happy to send prisoners, additics, criminally insane to us so

WE can take care of them. And drugs. and gangs. Mexico is a hell hole, and the

hole goes all the way to the top. He desperately wants us to continue to be

really stupid while he does it. Exporting the dregs of his society benefits him,

and the drug cartels are delighted to expand. We don't want to be a hell hole.

so, any liberals who want to talk silly about their love for penis nieto, forget it.

Even good people are fleeing out of there... we don't know the difference much,

with obamao having opened our borders to illegals across the board.

IOW's, the more we have tried to help mexico, the more the wrong people

are benefitting, and it's still broke, and still a hell hole. Time to stop the nonsense.

So for those in favor of NAFTA and staying in the agreement as it stands with Mexico, could you describe the advantages of continuing this relationship? I mean if Ford said they were moving back to the States no matter what Trump said, then there must be some economic advantage to open factories here, no?

Furthermore, how can Mexico raise the price well above market value and expect us to buy it? I take it that they can't be much below the world market value prices as it stands now, unless its a good almost exclusive to them. No businessman out there is just going to give the shit away. Nor will they just throw their agriculture products in the trash to spite us.

My economic understandings, as most people's are around the world, is on a domestic level. So for instance Walmart sells goods at the lowest prices possible, but only by a few cents or dollars to say Amazon. So if we decide to tax the shit out of Walmart, how can they jump their prices way above Amazon's and expect to not lose out in the market? I guess I don't understand how Mexican economy is individually so important to us and how this will be completely a loss on our side. If Mexico charges 20% more than China for their shit and we don't buy it, they get nothing. You think Paraguay and Bolivia is going to pay the same prices we do? Haha. They would be better off eating the tariff than selling to anyone else for sure.

It would at least boot the deadbeats with no skills out of the workforce and in the welfare line for good.

But that has nothing to do with the question.

WSS

Yep with 4.7% national unemployment, which we all know is a low representation of people seeking good employment, we have a ton of deadbeats in the workforce.

Yep with 4.7% national unemployment, which we all know is a low representation of people seeking good employment, we have a ton of deadbeats in the workforce.

No need to seek good employment if the government guarantees you 15 bucks an hour for being an illiterate slug.

That's why communism fails. At least one reason.

WSS

No need to seek good employment if the government guarantees you 15 bucks an hour for being an illiterate slug.

That's why communism fails. At least one reason.

WSS

Except in communist countries they never let people sit at home and collect shit. Some of you cold teally stand to go back to school and learn some shit so you stop making these erroneous statements.

Just take china under mao, you didnt wanna work guess what happened to you. Oh just guess, take a flier.

The tire code says that my tires were made in Buffalo, NY by Dunlop.

Evidently, Good Year does or did control 75% of Dunlop. Therefore, my money goes to Buffalo and Akron, Ohio.

Wow. Where your particular tires were made is of little consequence. You are part of the "Walmart Culture", which I am as well so don't take that as a put down, where price is the determining factor for purchases. At some point increasing price, due to tariffs, will force many out of the market. So my new Mazda CX-5 goes from $25,000 to $30,000 so I decide to drive my current car for another year. When car sales drop, either foreign or domestic, the industry as a whole suffers. While I think producing goods is necessary to sustain a solid economy it is going to be very difficult to artificially make US products more competitive.

Wow. Where your particular tires were made is of little consequence. You are part of the "Walmart Culture", which I am as well so don't take that as a put down, where price is the determining factor for purchases. At some point increasing price, due to tariffs, will force many out of the market. So my new Mazda CX-5 goes from $25,000 to $30,000 so I decide to drive my current car for another year. When car sales drop, either foreign or domestic, the industry as a whole suffers. While I think producing goods is necessary to sustain a solid economy it is going to be very difficult to artificially make US products more competitive.

I disagree. The work ethic/talent of those who make the molds is crucial. The skill of the batch cookers is important.

The molds are very intricate, the tolerances are supposed to be very close.

All the difference in the world in quality.

Except in communist countries they never let people sit at home and collect shit. Some of you cold teally stand to go back to school and learn some shit so you stop making these erroneous statements.

Just take china under mao, you didnt wanna work guess what happened to you. Oh just guess, take a flier.

There is a reason Republicans like to cut educational budgets.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." --George Orwell, 1984

Education makes it harder for alternative facts to be accepted.

There is a reason Republicans like to cut educational budgets.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." --George Orwell, 1984

Education makes it harder for alternative facts to be accepted.

And there must be a reason Democrats love to throw money at the teachers union even though the outcome doesn't seem to Warrant it.

Oh now I remember the reason, votes!

WSS

And there must be a reason Democrats love to throw money at the teachers union even though the outcome doesn't seem to Warrant it.

Oh now I remember the reason, votes!

WSS

Seems perfectly warranted to me. MA has the best public school system in the country, is one of the most Democratic, and we support our schools and teachers.

Archived