THE BROWNS BOARD

Are you disappointed and why?

Westside Steve

Even tho we only drafted him once? What kinda homer are you?

And Nassib? Rotational 5/7? Situational 5/3? Both?

If any of our ends get kicked inside its Ogbah. He just plays lower than Carl. Of course only being 6'2 while carl is easily 6'5 helps.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Garrett get hurt? Very, very likely. Considering he is a show off, considering he will be the golden boy, and considering he will be trying to make miracles in every game because we have no offense? Yeah, fatigue and overplay most likely earmark him for a 2017 injury.

This draft for the Browns was pure shit. Kizer? That's who Hue fell in love with this year? Seriously, Hue is the dumbest motherfucking coach in the history of the NFL. He is dumber than Blow-me-o Crennel.

Agreed Garrett will try to do too much and get caught out of position early and often.

Regarding Kizer- doing a little more research. His first 12 or so college games were pretty good, his last 10 sucked. Did other teams figure out how to confuse him?

If any of our ends get kicked inside its Ogbah. He just plays lower than Carl. Of course only being 6'2 while carl is easily 6'5 helps.

True, but Carl's #1 tech need is playing lower... and a 6'5 frame with a wingspan in the middle can take away a lot of short to medium throws...

Then again... that sounds like a job for Myles...

Thanks! It's a Niner RIP 9

I have a relatively cheap Jamis mountain bike- it only goes out in wet weather and snow. I don't ride trails, unless they're damn near paved. A crash at my age would result in a trip to the hospital. I've got a nice custom Waterford for the road.

Agreed Garrett will try to do too much and get caught out of position early and often.

Regarding Kizer- doing a little more research. His first 12 or so college games were pretty good, his last 10 sucked. Did other teams figure out how to confuse him?

So if mark dantonio can do it you suppose Marvin lewis can figure it out?

WSS

I have a relatively cheap Jamis mountain bike- it only goes out in wet weather and snow. I don't ride trails, unless they're damn near paved. A crash at my age would result in a trip to the hospital. I've got a nice custom Waterford for the road.

Nice! I had a Jamis Dakar XCR before my 9er...... They are all soul cleansing once you throw your leg over 'em.

Can't discount the possibility that "the second time around" was not a factor, but that ND 2016 was an inferior team compared to ND 2015 is indisputable.

I have to laugh at the criticisms of Garrett before he's even seen in preseason. He is not a stupid man and will take well to Williams's coaching. He will play exactly the way Williams wants him to play.

I have to laugh at the criticisms of Garrett before he's even seen in preseason. He is not a stupid man and will take well to Williams's coaching. He will play exactly the way Williams wants him to play.

My favorite excerpt from The article Mike Silver posted today:

"Earlier in April, Jackson and Williams were part of a small Browns contingent that traveled to College Station, Texas, for a private dinner with Garrett. The next day at Texas A&M, they put him through a workout that, in Williams' eyes, was as much of a psychological test as a physical one. "My goal was to make him uncomfortable, and winded as fuck, and to see how he'd react," Williams explained. "We simulated a 15-play drive, and after some plays, I'd make him do up-downs before the next one, just to tire him out even more. We got all the way down near the goal line, and I kicked it up to 10 up-downs, thinking he might collapse or quit or say 'To hell with this.' He just did them and lined up, and on the next play, he came off the edge like I've maybe seen two people in my life -- Bruce Smith and Jevon Kearse -- and sacked the quarterback. It was amazing."

Yes, we know that apparently all you care about are the Michidick guys on this roster.....so tell us this: does Stribling have a chance to contribute? I think he may.

Oh, right, clearly. All I care about is getting Michigan guys.... I know for a fact you (and others) pushed more OSU / Ohio guys than I did.

Stribling might be on the PS and use the time to get more athletic

My favorite excerpt from The article Mike Silver posted today:

"Earlier in April, Jackson and Williams were part of a small Browns contingent that traveled to College Station, Texas, for a private dinner with Garrett. The next day at Texas A&M, they put him through a workout that, in Williams' eyes, was as much of a psychological test as a physical one. "My goal was to make him uncomfortable, and winded as fuck, and to see how he'd react," Williams explained. "We simulated a 15-play drive, and after some plays, I'd make him do up-downs before the next one, just to tire him out even more. We got all the way down near the goal line, and I kicked it up to 10 up-downs, thinking he might collapse or quit or say 'To hell with this.' He just did them and lined up, and on the next play, he came off the edge like I've maybe seen two people in my life -- Bruce Smith and Jevon Kearse -- and sacked the quarterback. It was amazing."

Which verifies exactly what Garrett has said all along, that he wants to be the best that's ever played the game and he is willing to work his tail off every day to attain that goal. He has also stated that he wants to be part of the foundation that turns around the Cleveland Browns. Peppers seems to have that exact same approach to the game. Watching these two feed off one another along with Collins and Joe Haden is going to light a fire in this defense that Cleveland hasn't seen in years. This is going to be a real fun defense to watch put it all together as the season unfolds. We're going to terrorize some teams that have already chalked us up in the W column.

EDIT: One other thing from the article: "Lastly, Williams invited Myles Garrett over to share a text message he received from Bruce Smith after the Browns selected him. Smith said he’d love to mentor Garrett. Williams said he was going to invite Smith to one of the team’s minicamps."

Well this is the story from Cleveland. com. Rather than just a link I copied the whole thing.

Anybody notice anything strange?

-f09eaa2772224ae2.jpg

Grading the Browns 2017 draft class

BEREA, Ohio The Browns made 10 picks in the 2017 NFL Draft. That includes the No. 1 overall pick, three first-round picks and five in the first three rounds.

While the Browns didnt have 14 picks like in 2016, this years draft was more front-loaded. Last year, nine of the Browns 14 picks came after the third round.

The Browns drafted consensus No. 1 pick Myles Garrett first overall, addressed a need at safety and punt returner with first-rounder Gerbil Peppers, and even drafted a quarterback DeShone Watson in the third round.

You saw the headline so you know were going to ask you to grade this years Browns draft class. But were not asking you to grade it on potential or the careers you think the players might have. Thats unrealistic.

So instead, lets grade this Browns draft on how the team addressed needs and considering what it took to get the players it wanted. Below is a recap of this years draft class. Below that is your chance to vote.

- By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

Photo by Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, DE

First Round, No. 1 overall

The Browns suffered through a 1-15 season to earn the No. 1 pick in the draft, but the reward was the consensus No. 1 in Garrett. He fills a big need at defensive end and should be a big boost for the Browns pass rush, which was 30th in the NFL last season with 26 sacks. Garrett had 32.5 sacks over the last three seasons.

Gerbil Peppers, Michigan, S

First Round, No. 25 overall

The Browns traded out of the No. 12 spot (gaining a 2018 first-round pick in the deal) and moved back 13 spots to take Peppers, who is expected to play safety, return punts and get opportunities on offense.

David Njoku, Miami, TE

First Round, No. 29 overall

Njoku was considered by most draft analysts as the second-best tight end in the draft. The Browns had to trade the No. 33 overall pick and a fourth-rounder to move up to get him.

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame, QB

Second Round, No. 52 overall

Kizer comes with a pick the Browns acquired in a 2016 draft-day trade with the Titans. The Browns say the Toledo native to get a chance to compete for the starting spot in training camp.

Larry Ogunjobi, UNC-Charlotte, DL

Third Round, No. 65 overall

The muscular 300-pound defensive tackle is an impressive sight, and he left UNC-Charlotte as the schools all-time leader in tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and QB hurries.

Howard Wilson, Houston, CB

Fourth Round, No. 126 overall

The Browns traded away two fourth-round picks earlier in the draft and gave up a pair of fifth-rounders to get back in and take Wilson with the 126th overall pick. He had five interceptions and 10 passes defensed last season.

Roderick Johnson, Florida State, OL

Fifth Round, No. 160 overall

The Browns trade up 21 spots in the fifth round to take Johnson, a left tackle. Along with swapping fifth-rounders, the Browns gave the Jets a seventh-round pick for a sixth-rounder. When Cameron Erving moved from tackle to center at Florida State, Johnson replaced him at left tackle.

Caleb Brantley, Florida, DT

Sixth Round, No. 185 overall

Brantley was projected to go in the first few rounds before he was charged with misdemeanor battery on April 13. He had 31 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks last season.

Zane Gonzalez, Arizona State, K

Seventh Round, No. 224 overall

Gonzalez is the all-time FBS career leader for made field goals (96). He finished his college career with six FBS records, the most ever for a kicker. Hes the first kicker drafted by the Browns since 1989.

Matthew Dayes, NC State, RB

Seventh Round, No. 252 overall

Dayes was the second-to-last player drafted. The pick was acquired in an earlier trade with the Broncos. Dayes rushed for 1,166 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.

What's your grade for the Browns 2017 draft class?

A

B

C

D

F

Vote

View Results

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

© 2017 Advance Ohio All rights reserved (About Us).

The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Ohio

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site.

Ad Choices

Far from disappointed. They must have duct taped the owner and left him in a closet until the draft was over, because this draft makes sense. No JFF, no Weedeater. It was a thin year for QBs so they did not overreach for one (next year is supposed to be a better crop)? If they keep getting multiple first round picks every year and not squandering them they will get dramatically better over the next several seasons. If they just don't can the coach after they win 4 this year, just pick a course and stay on it rather than sailing in circles.......

"My goal was to make him uncomfortable, and winded as fuck..."

Damn but I love hearing our DC talk like a DC again...

... is going to light a fire in this defense that Cleveland hasn't seen in years.

I'm not sure a "Johnny come lately" can have a true appreciation of just how long it has been. While we've had "glimpses" as recently as under Shurmur you have to go back to the late-80's to see a sustained, truly dominant D in orange, white and brown.

Far from disappointed. They must have duct taped the owner and left him in a closet until the draft was over, because this draft makes sense.

lol... as much as I enjoy the image... no. This owner has bought in. Sashi&Co developed and presented "a business plan" for this "business", and after testing it with questions, the owner/CEO bought in.

That plus any recent disasters he had a hand in creating... and maybe a little input from Dee... have combined to have him sit back and watch it happen. I have a feeling he likes what he is seeing, but it will have to be backed up by what he sees starting in August.

Who the Steelers were taking is irrelevant. We wanted to get back in the first round to have N'joku for five years so found a trading partner, it's nothing to do with who they were going to take.

Can't discount the possibility that "the second time around" was not a factor, but that ND 2016 was an inferior team compared to ND 2015 is indisputable.

But....was Kizer's poor play a contributing factor to 2016 being an inferior team in 2016? Just asking.

Oh, right, clearly. All I care about is getting Michigan guys.... I know for a fact you (and others) pushed more OSU / Ohio guys than I did.

Stribling might be on the PS and use the time to get more athletic

I have been pretty even steven on Ohio State guys. The only one I remember that I really pushed for was for Bosa, last year.

And that was justified....fair to say?

I didn't really push for the 3 OSU DBs that all went higher than Peppers, though I did think that one of them would be in play for the Browns at #12...simply because of the dire need the Browns had there, and those players quality rating.

But now, hopefully both Peppers and Stribling outperform them all.....because they are now Browns and for no other reason.

I'm not sure a "Johnny come lately" can have a true appreciation of just how long it has been. While we've had "glimpses" as recently as under Shurmur you have to go back to the late-80's to see a sustained, truly dominant D in orange, white and brown.

And, well, to be honest with you, that team was dominated more by offense with Bernie than by defense. While we had good/great DBs, and some good/great LBs...the defensive line was not all that. And it showed by being burned so many times by Elway. That DL could not get much pressure on the QB.

In fact, I have hopes that our current DL will be much better than that DL. In terms of both pass rush and run stopping. If Garrett and Ogbah and Nassib et al can get supreme pressure on the QB...which we think/hope they can; and, if Shelton/Ogunjobi can do their thing...we could have one hell of a defensive line. Far better than that 80s group. (though, at this point, no way is the DB as good)

I thought the Browns would trade up to draft Kizer in the first round, so no, not disappointed that they waited. Happy they didn't reach for a QB this year, as I've mentioned earlier I never saw anything that separated one QB from the rest of the pack. Shocked at all the Bears gave up to move up one spot, I'm very interested to see how much playing time Trubisky gets this season and how well he does. Likewise with Watson and Mahomes.

Happy with the Garrett pick, the trade down from 12 had me scratching my head a bit (not as much as the JFF pick so an improvement there) but glad they picked up Peppers. Don't know much about Njoku but having a good TE willing to block is always helpful for young QBs.

I'll know for sure if I'm disappointed or happy after this season. I'm expecting all 3 first-round picks to make immediate impacts on the team, as I expect from all first-round picks every year. Defense looks to be shaping up nicely, offense will see a lot more of Corey Coleman and a beefed-up O-line so should see some improvement there. Time will tell.

But....was Kizer's poor play a contributing factor to 2016 being an inferior team in 2016? Just asking.

In no uncertain terms, I would say "no".

Deshone's QB rating only dropped 5 points While his TD/INT ratio went up to 26/9 from 21/10 in 2015. Kizer did have a troubling drop in comp % but his receivers also had a lot of drops.

He did this without his first round deep threat, first round tackle and a first round line backer who went in the second due to injury (as well as three more day two players).

Like I said before, if Kizer played for Saban, Meyer, or even Harbaugh, Notre Dame's cupboards wouldn't have been left bare after sending so much talent to the NFL.

Kizer has just a much bust potential as any other QB in this class, but the Browns didn't sell the farm to get him. This FO has taken a day two QB every draft they've had, and they may take another one next year. The Browns can do this because the position is of utmost importance and they aren't shackled to Kizer.

Chicago, Arizona and Houston don't have that advantage

Who the Steelers were taking is irrelevant. We wanted to get back in the first round to have N'joku for five years so found a trading partner, it's nothing to do with who they were going to take.

I don't think that we know "stealing" Njoku was not part of reason, but I have come around a bit on the 5th year thing.

Previously I've posted that from a contract standpoint that 5th-year is pretty useless since once a team decides to exercise its option, then a contract extension that modifies the 5th-year's salary is semi-automatic, but ...

If you ID a prospect to target around the R1/2 cusp that is very raw, but has a tremendous ceiling, the move up makes more sense to me. That very raw start might delay value realization by a full year or more. In a case like this, you can exercise the relatively cheap 5th year and add an extension to it. I don't think this is as common as increasing the year-5 compensation in the extension, but it's a value balancer as well as a cap-friendly route.

Archived