THE BROWNS BOARD

Perfect Nickname for the Browns Defensive Line

The Gipper

The Rock'n'Roll Wall of PAIN!

... and trademark the shit out of it...

after week 9 we can throw a Cavs C up in front of rock as a bail out..It's Cleveland.what could possibly go wrong?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I'm sorry Mike I just couldn't resist the vulgarity on this. I can live with Damned Dogs or maybe Hell Hounds lol

Your post actually created new thinking. I do like both the above, or maybe just "Hounds" for the DL & keep "Dawgs" for the rest of the D.

I like a single syllable nickname.

Mike

The Legendary

Brown and Orange

Wall of Pain

WOW... damn close... if I may be permitted a build... The Rock'n'Roll Hall of PAIN!

Close-ish, but not a winner...

Meanwhile start working on the new Tees... ;) Just need the starters finalized...

The Rock'n'Roll Hall of PAIN!

Garrett - Shelton - Bryant - Ogbah

Collins - Kirksey - ???

Haden - Peppers - ??? - ???

... and trademark the shit out of it...

WINNER...WINNER...CHICKEN...DINNER!!! TOUR gets my vote!!! GIPPER both your title starters (Ogres & Goons)(squad)or The Goonies! They are right there! MY .02! ?

WINNER...WINNER...CHICKEN...DINNER!!! TOUR gets my vote!!! GIPPER both your title starters (Ogres & Goons)(squad)or The Goonies! They are right there! MY .02!

Hey, it was PoG inspired... I'll leave the final verdict in mik's silk-screening hands.

Gip is getting his puss hurt because nobody liked his stupid name.

You clearly are the expert at hurt pussies. What do you use, Vagisil?

And Ogres is still the best, most apt name. Brutish, nasty, predatory beasts. The reason you don't like it is probably the same reason you use the Vagisil. You want pussies on your DL. You know, guys that played like you. ;)

You clearly are the expert at hurt pussies. What do you use, Vagisil?

And Ogres is still the best, most apt name. Brutish, nasty, predatory beasts. The reason you don't like it is probably the same reason you use the Vagisil. You want pussies on your DL. You know, guys that played like you. ;)

The Brown Twathammers is a better name, brotato chip

Were you actually thinking they'd endorse a bad name that a random person came up with on a random forum?

I think nicknames of this sort, be it teams, units, players, even fans occur organically and from a variety of sources.

They can come from the Media. Fans. Players, from Grandmas and sisters etc.

I think the last place that nicknames come from are NFL and NFL team PR departments.

Perhaps the only one that did this is the Pretenious "America's Team".

Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield just started barking at each other in practice and that is how The Dawgs came about.

The Purple People Eaters came from a novelty song that was put out in the 1960s.

"Mean Joe" Green got his nickname from his college team: North Texas State.

"Too Tall Jones" is merely descriptive.

And so forth.

The truth is, that the “America’s Team” label actually originated from NFL Films.

The Cowboys had just won Super Bowl XII in 1977 after going 12-2 during the regular season. They were three-deep in most positions and had a roster full of All-Pro players. This was before the days of free-agency so just about every player came back year-after-year.

NFL Films shot footage of every game of every NFL team for various weekly highlight shows and season-ending highlight videos. During the 1978 season en route to a 12-4 record, the camera crews at NFL Films noticed that when the Cowboys played at a visitor’s stadium, it seemed there were just as many fans in attendance dressed in the silver and blue as were the colors of the home club.

The truth is, that the “America’s Team” label actually originated from NFL Films.

The Cowboys had just won Super Bowl XII in 1977 after going 12-2 during the regular season. They were three-deep in most positions and had a roster full of All-Pro players. This was before the days of free-agency so just about every player came back year-after-year.

NFL Films shot footage of every game of every NFL team for various weekly highlight shows and season-ending highlight videos. During the 1978 season en route to a 12-4 record, the camera crews at NFL Films noticed that when the Cowboys played at a visitor’s stadium, it seemed there were just as many fans in attendance dressed in the silver and blue as were the colors of the home club.

The Cowboys are the Notre Dame of professional football.

No matter where they play, their fans are there to greet them.

Their faces are recognized by fans all across this country.

The sum total of their stars are a galaxy.

They are the Dallas Cowboys….America’s Team.

Cowboys GM Schramm had a past history in television as the lieutenant to the head of sports at CBS, Bill MacPhail. Schramm was also once the public relations director with the Kansas City Athletics and eventually became the GM of the Los Angeles Rams.

At first, Coach Landry and the players despised the trademark that Schramm now had labeled the franchise. It gave opposing teams an extra incentive to play better and hit harder. Other teams would rag on the Cowboys all game and try to inflict undue harm as well as amp up the trash talking.

The Cowboys rosters are continually full of All-Star caliber players, while the trophy case holds five Super Bowl trophies. Are the Cowboys truly “America’s Team?”

NFL Films says they are.

The nickname "Steel Curtain", a play on the phrase "Iron Curtain" popularized by former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, originated in a 1971 contest sponsored by Pittsburgh radio station WTAE to name the defense. The name was also a play on Pittsburgh's reputation for steel production. The contest was won by Gregory Kronz, a ninth grader at a suburban high school. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "he was just one of 17 people who submitted the 'Steel Curtain' moniker to the WTAE contest, necessitating a drawing for the grand prize," which Kronz won.[2]

The Purple People Eater" is a novelty song written and performed by Sheb Wooley, which reached no. 1 in the Billboard pop charts in 1958 from June 9 to July 14, reached no. 12 overall in the UK singles chart and topped the Australian charts.

The Purple People Eater" tells how a strange creature (described as a "one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater") descends to Earth because it wants to be in a rock 'n' rollband. The premise of the song came from a joke told by the child of a friend of Wooley's; Wooley finished composing it within an hour.[1]

The creature is not necessarily purple, but rather it eats purple people:

I said Mr Purple People Eater, what's your line?
He said eating purple people, and it sure is fine
But that's not the reason that I came to land
I wanna get a job in a rock 'n roll band[2][3][4]

The creature also gives an additional reason for choosing not to eat the narrator, because the narrator is "so tough".

The ambiguity of the song was present when it was originally played on the radio. In responses to requests from radio disc jockeys, listeners drew pictures that show a "people eater" colored purple.[1]

Purple People Eaters (sometimes Purple Gang) were the defensive line of the Minnesota Vikings from the late 1960s to the late 1970s. The term is a reference to a popular song from 1958, the efficiency of the defense, and the color of their uniforms. The motto of the Purple People Eaters was "Meet at the quarterback."[1]

The Crunch Bunch were the group of New York Giants football team's defensive linebackers in 1981, 1982 and 1983, one of the NFL's best group of linebackers.[1][2] They worked together as a unit and were known for their punishing, bone-jarring tackles and quarterback sacks.[1] The individuals included:

The linebackers invented their own moniker, then created a company, The Board of Dewreckers, whose sole product was a 16×20-inch color poster of the four players on a bulldozer, wearing hard hats and looking mean. According to a New York Times article, the profits from the $5 poster became “pocket money” for the Giants' linebackers.[3] The Crunch Bunch was a bright spot for the otherwise dismal Giants, who had just one winning season between 1973 and 1983.

The four men developed bonds of friendship that lasted long after their football careers ended. They talked on the phone frequently and got together several times each year to play golf, sign autographs, attend charity events and just talk. Van Pelt was quoted in 2004:

The Orange Crush Defense was the 3–4 defense of the Denver Broncos during the late 1970s and early 1980s. The team adopted the 3–4 defense during the 1976 season, and the nickname "Orange Crush" for the team's defense was popularized early in the 1977 season by sportswriter/broadcaster Woody Paige.[1][2]

The team's defensive unit derived the nickname from their orange home jerseys and a popular soft drink, Orange Crush.[3]

In case you don’t know the story of how the Seattle Seahawkssecondary became known at the Legion of Boom, strong safety Kam Chancellorexplained it Wednesday.

“It was a radio interview,” Chancellor said. “The fans wanted to come up with a name for the group and we saw a bunch of names come across Twitter. None of them were catchy, but when we saw Legion of Boom, it jumped out.”

Chancellor said he and other defensive backs -- Richard Sherman, Earl Thomasand Brandon Browner (now with the Patriots) -- liked that term.

“Legion is like a vast army,’’ Chancellor said. “We just went with Legion of Boom and it kind of fits the description of our unit, our brotherhood of love, trust, honesty, respect. I think all those elements right there create the power in our group. It creates the talent and brings out the talent. It brings out everything in our group.”

n 1995, a group of hard-core Raiders fans had an idea – create a fan group clad in black that would eventually encompass all of Raider Nation. So in 1996, they purchased seats together in the end zone to create a section of the stadium where fans would stand, cheer, intimidate opposing teams and epitomize what it means to be a Raiders fan. Since that day, The Black Hole has represented the die-hard Raiders fans, the ones committed to their team win, lose or draw.

The Black Hole unites Raiders fans worldwide. It is a family that represents the pride, tradition, and commitment of the Oakland Raiders, which is what truly makes The Black Hole Football’s Most Notorious Fans.

The Black Hole is much more than Section 105 in O.co Coliseum; it is wherever you, the passionate Raiders fan, lives and breathes Silver and Black. The Black Hole is a state of mind.

Positive fanaticism at it’s best, The Black Hole aims to reach out and join forces with all who bleed Silver and Black. With chapters both in the U.S. and abroad, The Black Hole promotes team spirit, community outreach, civic pride, and the ultimate family of fans.

The 1972 Dolphins defensive unit, called the No-Name Defense because Miami’s impressive offense received much more publicity, as well as Cowboys coach Tom Landry coining the phrase in an interview, was the league’s best that year. It was led by linebacker Nick Buoniconti, end Bill Stanfill, tackle Manny Fernandez, and safeties Dick Anderson and Jake Scott. In all, nine players—Csonka, Morris, Warfield, Little, Evans, Buoniconti, Stanfill, Anderson and Scott—were selected to the Pro Bowl, and Morrall, Stanfill and Anderson were named 1st team All-Pro.[1]

Hm. It seems like none of those were from a random fan on a random forum.

Black Hole guys were just "random fans".

Legion of Boom came from a "random fan twitter".

Tom Landry made a random comment.

Steel Curtain is just a random play on a different comment.

Orange Crush made by a random reporter. (I would not be surprised to see a reporter come up with any of these names.....Gee...you think if Mary Kay Cabot came up with it that it would be any more valid?)

Like I said, the only one that isn't random is America's Team...and as I said, the most pretentious of all.

from Vince Lombardi--"What the hell's going on on here" :o $uck them Cowgals,Steelqueers,Dikekings,G-pus,Denfags.Teabags & Ghoolie Black Hole were 6 pages in & The Ultimate Gothical Warrior is the leader in the club house? B)(shame,damn shame)

Black Hole guys were just "random fans".

Legion of Boom came from a "random fan twitter".

Tom Landry made a random comment.

Steel Curtain is just a random play on a different comment.

Orange Crush made by a random reporter. (I would not be surprised to see a reporter come up with any of these names.....Gee...you think if Mary Kay Cabot came up with it that it would be any more valid?)

Like I said, the only one that isn't random is America's Team...and as I said, the most pretentious of all.

Hm. It seems like none of those were from a random fan on a random forum.

This is NO RANDOM forum. This is the defacto website for anything Cleveland Browns related. It's much better than the actual ClevelandBrowns.com fan chat that they used to have. If there is a place on the internet that one can go to and get all the information that they need on the Browns... this is that website. :)

This is NO RANDOM forum. This is the defacto website for anything Cleveland Browns related. It's much better than the actual ClevelandBrowns.com fan chat that they used to have. If there is a place on the internet that one can go to and get all the information that they need on the Browns... this is that website. :)

friend, let me tell you about r/browns

Archived