THE BROWNS BOARD

Kizer officially Browns starter

JAFBF

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Kizer is a guy who's now played with just about everyone on the offense.  

If I were Hue I'd make the offensive ones play almost all of the first quarter. Or at least a series or two.  At 21 years old he's as rookie as a rookie can get.

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I hope he doesn't rookie it up in the next game..

You mean the one that counts? I'm trying hard to like Kizer- but not yet. Will Cleveland fans have the patience to give Deshone a few mulligans when he screws up? (And he will.)

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I hope he doesn't rookie it up in the next game..

He' going to rookie several things up in most games, but if he can keep those turnovers down this D is going to give him multiple shots at redemption.

Kizer is the battery that starts the car. Will he make mistakes? I saw a great qb throw 4 ints in one game.

Kizer might throw an int, and surely "Kizer sucks, blah blah blah" will come up.

The great qb who threw FOUR INTS IN ONE GAME?

Peyton Manning. As much as I hate having to "throw Kizer to the wolves"... he is the only qb who has

the talent, the huge accurate arm, and has a firm grip on the offense and the huddle... to win. And

winning in the idea. So, despite that I was a huge Trubisky guy... Kizer lights it up when he's on the field.

He won't be perfect, but bitching about him is bs. The kid might be the best qb of the draft class, and might

be that future great qb for us.

so Kizer will make mistakes. But seriously, he is the only qb that sets this offense in high gear. Mistakes

will happen. He isn't just a talented kid, he is a genuine qb, the likes we haven't had since '99. He's earned

being given a chance.

Kizer had the most misleading stat line in history the other night.  I didn't get to see the game live, and when I looked at the numbers I just groaned to myself.  However, after watching the game, I realized the low scoring wasn't all on him.  I tell you what, Britt better not drop that shit during the season, and that would've been first and goal at like the 6 yard line.  AWFUL drop, and it REALLY pissed me off.  Not only that, our TE's can't catch, and I don't even want to TALK about that ridiculous Duke Johnson fumble.  1st and goal from the 6?  Are you kidding me?  Britt and Duke completely killed that game, and we didn't get to see Kizer in the red zone.  That experience is absolutely vital to a young kid, and to the rest of our offense.  I wanted to see Njoku get a "jump ball" in the end zone, or see our power running game succeed, or Kizer maybe run one in.  But those two mistakes killed all of that, and that CAN'T happen during the season.  Kizer made mistakes, and he'll make plenty more, but we have to capitalize on the few opportunities that we get each game.  

Also, I love our defense, and it looks about how I hoped it would, BUT...if we keep blitzing like that, the good teams are going to destroy us.  Either with deep routes or screen passes.  We have to learn how to mix it up.

our defense - OMG. They kick ass ! THAT is the kind of defense that keeps you in games, and gives the offense

big chances to win. Love the aggressive defense. And they are just getting started....

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Kizer might throw an int, and surely "Kizer sucks, blah blah blah" will come up.

As much as I hate having to "throw Kizer to the wolves"... he is the only qb who has the talent, the huge accurate arm, and has a firm grip on the offense and the huddle... to win. And winning in the idea.

Because winning is the idea, your concern about fans turning upon Kizer is legit.

Only part I disagree with is his "firm grip on the offense". It's inconsistent with not making reads... and without making reads winning is not in the cards.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Also, I love our defense, and it looks about how I hoped it would, BUT...if we keep blitzing like that, the good teams are going to destroy us.

It's going to be exciting, but "live by the blitz, die by the blitz" ain't an old adage for nothing...

Tour makes a fine point about the reads with Kizer and equating that to DA.  

Obviously the big differences is that Kizer is a rookie and DA wasn't when he was our starter.  That said,  the pump fake and look off only to come back to his primary - that shit is only going to work so much for so long.    Weddle, Jefferson,  Iloka... those safeties won't be having that shit once they start to put on the tape.    

Browns fans for the love of God, be patient this time around.     Booing Hoyer and begging for Manziel is what makes you look Retarded.    Don't boo Deshone then ask for Oz expecting things to immediately trend upward.   Last year was the tear down, this is a season of watching early growth and hopefully getting a couple wins with it.  

22 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Remember that Hue said "trust me" regarding the multiple-rounds-early selection of Kessler.

This is exactly why the assertion of "Letting Football Guys Run It" has not - and will not - ensure all draft picks are quality.

Also that RGIII was a QB that Hue wanted...we all know how that played out.

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Obviously the big differences is that Kizer is a rookie and DA wasn't when he was our starter.  That said,  the pump fake and look off only to come back to his primary - that shit is only going to work so much for so long.    Weddle, Jefferson,  Iloka... those safeties won't be having that shit once they start to put on the tape.    

Browns fans for the love of God, be patient this time around.     Booing Hoyer and begging for Manziel is what makes you look Retarded.    Don't boo Deshone then ask for Oz expecting things to immediately trend upward.   Last year was the tear down, this is a season of watching early growth and hopefully getting a couple wins with it.  

On the other hand sitting and leaning wasn't exactly a recipe for success in DA's case... but some guys never make the leap... in fact most QBs don't. Not sure DA ever has although when he did that brief fill-in for Newton a couple years ago it seemed like he might have.

One quibble... I've seen most of the pumps to the primary with no looking off.

Totally agree on the patience... as far as I am concerned this now needs to be seen as a season long commitment to Kizer. If the switch flips and he's our guy.... great. If it doesn't and he belly flops us all the way to the 1st overall pick... again... so be it.

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Totally agree on the patience... as far as I am concerned this now needs to be seen as a season long commitment to Kizer. If the switch flips and he's our guy.... great. If it doesn't and he belly flops us all the way to the 1st overall pick... again... so be it.

You have to at this point because, as you've said, he either becomes the guy or leads you (praying) to your guy.   

I'm usually in the crowd of you 'don't' have to start someone for the sake of "seeing what you have", but this is one of those exceptions.    The defense appears to have taken a step forward, the oline didn't look bad at all against Tampa.  Though it is worth noting that I don't believe McCoy played...?    The offense is next in line.   They don't have to be explosive, they just have to show bits of consistency here and there to keep us competitive.   As with most rookie QB's though, consistency isn't often found.  

If not Kizer then Brock O ?

Kessler?

Hogan?

Not a whole of other palatable options from what I've seen so far.

I think Kessler has lost what it - he looked really bad vs Tampa.

Brock never really showed much of anything - and he should have being a veteran QB.

Hogan, surprisingly looks okay, but not sure on his arm.

The question you have to ask is . . . does he have the "it" factor?

To me it seems so, but it's Pre-Season . . . lets see how it looks after a few games, kids been making good progress.

As for the Defense:

It was a week or so ago that Williams said he only had about a quarter (if that) of his Defense installed.

Also, heard one of the Players within the past week say that they haven't shown anything of what they are capable of doing . . . this may be the show to watch.

Let's see if I can get this to work:

DIVm23pXYAIJECI.jpg:large

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

... as far as I am concerned this now needs to be seen as a season long commitment to Kizer.

Unconfirmed report on reddit that Nathan Zagura is reporting that the above is in fact the case.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Unconfirmed report on reddit that Nathan Zagura is reporting that the above is in fact the case.

Yep, that's what Hue said in the Presser today:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Hue-Jackson-press-conference---828/b6e3e44b-3d64-4759-8aa5-9fca38482093

On saying the Browns will ‘ride it out’ with Kizer as the starter but also saying ‘he has to earn it week-in and week-out’ in yesterday’s conference call:

“[He has to earn it] With his teammates, but I am going to ride this out with DeShone – the good, the bad, the whatever comes, but earning it with your teammates is putting in the time every day, doing what you need to do as a quarterback in this building. Come early, stay late, the hardest worker in the building. That is what our quarterbacks have to be because your teammates are watching that, and that is earning it each and every day.”

36 minutes ago, JAFBF said:

On saying the Browns will ‘ride it out’ with Kizer as the starter but also saying ‘he has to earn it week-in and week-out’ in yesterday’s conference call:

WTF does that mean?

Quit crawfishin', Hue!

Britt seems like a horrible replacement for Pryor. It sounds like he's tearing it up over there.  

I'm super excited the more I see Kizer.  He can sling it anywhere on that field and make just about any play out there.  And he's mobile,  big, seems rock solid character wise,  and has the ability to make first downs, tds,  and win.  

I imagine the preseason was about testing qbs.  If Crow performs as expected with a 1200+yd season,  and Kizer can hit deep balls,  it'll open up everything. 

And with the improved D,  we might really turn the corner. 

Penalties need to stop.  WR and RB need to hold onto the damn ball. 

But special teams are dangerous again with Peppers.  

Archived