THE BROWNS BOARD

Kizer officially Browns starter

JAFBF

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Better run the living shit out of the ball and find a way to play lights out defense. 

I think that's what the plan was even with BO under center. While I'm not crazy about this move, Kizer did look better than the others.

Beat Pittsburgh, and the frenzy will begin.

Play calling.

I think Hue may have been testing Kizer.

Lot of long (low percentage) throws, little running initial, bad weather (wet Balls) . . .

Kid's still learning for sure, but he's coming along. Lot of dropped balls, plus we had a couple TO's.

And Penalties . . . my Lord did we put ourselves in bad situations last night - 14 on the books, and there were a few the Buccs turned down.

We had three or four starts inside the 15, two inside the 5.

We're not going to win a whole lot of games this year anyway, we may as well see what we've got and see how he develops over the Season.

51 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

This is going to be painful...

I'll say this T, starting the 21yr old from day 1 will either forge, or melt him..... The NFL's history says he's far more likely to melt, but maybe it's our turn to find a Dak, or dare I say a Brady? 

I think he'll do fine....in terms of developing......as long as he doesnt get hammered and beaten into submission.....

That responsibility will fall on the OL to protect and the WR's to give him open opportunities(quickly).....

56 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I'll say this T, starting the 21yr old from day 1 will either forge, or melt him.....

That's a race between his learning to read a D and fan patience...

46 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I think he'll do fine....in terms of developing......as long as he doesnt get hammered and beaten into submission.....

That responsibility will fall on the OL to protect and the WR's to give him open opportunities(quickly).....

Quickly where? As fast as he locks on to his primary outs will be jumped and the middle congested. He's got to learn to use his eyes... quickly...

If Kizer has shown to be better than the other QB's....then as long as he knows enough of the playbook then he should be the starter.

Would it have been nice to have the Ostrich play well enough to be the starter for a while, while the 21 year old gets acquainted with the NFL speed.  Maybe so.  But apparently that has not been the case....so....play the kid....take your lumps for playing a rookie QB and move on down the line.

Good luck to DeShone Kizer.  Bring us back to glory....at your own pace.

I thought Kizer did a nice job of hitting some well covered guys in stride with laser perfect throws despite the heavy rain at times.  Of our current group of QBs, he's easily the best at throwing guys open (as exemplified in his TD pass to Payton a couple weeks ago or the other deep throw to #83 in the same game). 

I saw Kizer do something at 21 years of age that Weeden couldn't do at 30& 31 years of age, run out of the pocket and throw the ball away (so his offense could live another down).  There were plenty of times I thought McCown and RG3 could have been better with that too.  Kizer did it out of his own end zone. The very next play, he rifled an accurate short throw to Corey Coleman for a 1st down at the 11 or 12 yard line of the Browns.

At 1 time, Kizer was only 5 of 13 but just off the top of my head - Telfer, Njoku, and Britt all had passes go through their arms.  Kizer also seemed to have the best chemistry I've seen any of our QBs have with Corey Coleman.  I think that says all that it has to about his accuracy.

Unfortunately, the regular season is going to expose him to a multiplicity of disguised coverages/schemes that will confuse him.  There's definitely going to be growing pains like a lot of rookie NFL QBs have had inclusive of Troy Aikman (that got 2 concussions just from Philly).  The coming of age process is going to take longer than the very first September; but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Can we finally all agree that Kessler sucks and should be released?

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

And Hue said "trust me" regarding the multiple-rounds-early selection of Kessler. No, I don't trust him - and yes, his draft voice must be decreased because of it.

That was just Hue taking it up the ass for his front office blunder of a pick, Kessler was and never will be Hue's type of QB.

Per the Browns' Official site, it's officially Kizer starting 2017. I never quote NFL.com since Jordan Cameron was listed as signing with the Browns just before he signed with the Dolphins. Here's the link: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/DeShone-Kizer-named-Browns-starting-QB-for-2017-season/77fdb7ef-a831-42f4-aab8-1a38d4b2bded

Mike

8 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Per the Browns' Official site, it's officially Kizer starting 2017. I never quote NFL.com since Jordan Cameron was listed as signing with the Browns just before he signed with the Dolphins. Here's the link: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/DeShone-Kizer-named-Browns-starting-QB-for-2017-season/77fdb7ef-a831-42f4-aab8-1a38d4b2bded

Mike

Good one, will never forget that signing.

16 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Don't remind me. He was a good TE.

2 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

That was just Hue taking it up the ass for his front office blunder of a pick, Kessler was and never will be Hue's type of QB.

I disagree.  Hue liked Kessler because he, "throws the ball straight".  - he doesn't throw int's.

I think Hue KNEW that he inherited a team without a good QB and was not allowed to have Wentz (by his FO of Harvard Thinktankers) so he was thrown a bone in being able to draft Kessler with their last 3rd round pick.  

As Flugel pointed out, it was impressive that he gave up on the play out of his own end zone and threw it out of bounds.  But he has to KEEP that mentality...forever.  Live to fight another day.  And that includes running with the ball.  He has to run out of bounds and slide in bounds.  NO taking on defenders.  NO fighting for extra yardage.  -  I don't yet know if he's that smart or not.

As fans, we need to be patient with him.  But we can certainly yell it out if he's not being smart with his body.  

From the article:

For now, the Browns, and the city of Cleveland, are rolling with Kizer, and the punches that will most certainly come.

"This is not just for the moment," Jackson said. "We're going to get with DeShone and ride him through it all and work with him through all this. Those things are going to happen. And I think we get that. I think he gets that and we're not going to blink about it. We're just going to correct it and keep moving forward."

So now that he's been named the starter, do they play him the last game of the preseason?  I know the starters never play the 4th game but him being a rookie, this could be a good time to practice some things for Hue and Kizer that they want to implement week 1 vs the Steelers.

Two things killed Kizer last night. Ongoing penalties driving awful field position and shit receivers other than Coleman. Fix those and he shines! Kid is cool a a cucumber in the pocket under pressure. He's as composed on his own 6" line as he would be on the 50. This kids the real deal. 

2 hours ago, Bandwagoner said:

So now that he's been named the starter, do they play him the last game of the preseason?  I know the starters never play the 4th game but him being a rookie, this could be a good time to practice some things for Hue and Kizer that they want to implement week 1 vs the Steelers.

Hue said he hasn't decided yet.

Well see after watching film and Practice this week.

Kizer is a guy who's now played with just about everyone on the offense.  

If I were Hue I'd make the offensive ones play almost all of the first quarter. Or at least a series or two.  At 21 years old he's as rookie as a rookie can get.

Archived