THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Colts Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

dont want to sound like a broken record....but this was a complete team loss......and worse than the score would indicate...

Wr's and QB were all terrible.....QB was not accurrate(at all) and made those WR'S work for every catch.....and the WR's failed to help out their rookie QB by stepping up......D completely buckled(early), allowing the game to get away.....DB's pretty much sucked across the board, with Taylor getting owned and Peppers looking lost most of the game......OL was fair.....DL was invisible.....saw nothing from special teams.....and no brilliant coaching to bail out the non performers....

Just an ugly loss to a bad team.....

5 wins is looking like a fantasy right about now.....

This teams best chance to win is against the jets.. but damn I dunno.. this team is gawd awful bad...2 games.. Maybe...

20 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

dont want to sound like a broken record....but this was a complete team loss......and worse than the score would indicate...

Wr's and QB were all terrible.....QB was not accurrate(at all) and made those WR'S work for every catch.....and the WR's failed to help out their rookie QB by stepping up......D completely buckled(early), allowing the game to get away.....DB's pretty much sucked across the board, with Taylor getting owned and Peppers looking lost most of the game......OL was fair.....DL was invisible.....saw nothing from special teams.....and no brilliant coaching to bail out the non performers....

Just an ugly loss to a bad team.....

5 wins is looking like a fantasy right about now.....

Exactly right. Eerie how a 3 point loss is far far wirse than the score shows. I was happier with our loss to the steelers than this, at least that game was competitive, this wasnt yet it was inly 3 points. Weird

13 minutes ago, nickers said:

This teams best chance to win is against the jets.. but damn I dunno.. this team is gawd awful bad...2 games.. Maybe...

The chargers are pretty shiite too. If rivers is dinged or out thats prob a win but obviously not a blowout. Tbe colts were prob the worst team save maybe for the jets, that we're gonna see all season.

38 minutes ago, nickers said:

You realize the Jets just beat Miami today, right?  The only way we are going to win any game is if our receivers start catching the ball.  Otherwise, we will lose every game on our schedule.

24 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

You realize the Jets just beat Miami today, right?  The only way we are going to win any game is if our receivers start catching the ball.  Otherwise, we will lose every game on our schedule.

Yep-JETS just forgot they were tanking for #1 or they think we will win more games than they do anyway.:rolleyes:

i try to be optimistic but the Browns don't even look like an NFL team the past two games.  it's ridiculous how outmatched they are on all sides of the ball.  do they even practice?  the browns draft high year after year, get the supposed top college players, and then they suddenly forget how to catch?  how to tackle?  how not to jump offisides or commit offensive/defensive pass interference?  it's uncanny how a team can be this bad for so long.  it's still early in the season and i'm glad to see the Browns don't completely shut down in the 2nd half like they did last season, but come on.  these guys should be embarrassed after watching today's game tape.

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I went to a shitty movie my wife drug me to. I'd rather have sat through a shitty game that at least ended with a close score.

............ careful what you wish for. 

Some thoughts:

Opposing offenses will continue to go heavy ball action and attack our DB's vertical on early downs when you give them that many off looks.     The first strike to TY is a prime example of max protect and a 3 man pattern exploiting our inconsistent pass rush.         I'm also not a fan of our how we stack our linebackers because the backside tends to overpursue.           Why are we not running Crow with a lead more?      Jacoby's second TD rush was only made possible by a clear uncalled holding on Orchard.  He would have secured the tackle and what is worse is the ref starring right at it with no flag.     Peppers with more shitty angles and tackling which was directly responsible for TY again breaking off a long gain.   I hope Woody is seeing his boy in action.

Leslie is my kind of receiver because he fights for contested passes and most importantly has solid hands.     Njoku is starting to get more looks, if he could just work on his inline blocking and how he sells the release that would be nice.  Kizer drifting and throwing off his backfoot could have really fucked up that TD pass,  young blood needs to settle down.      The pick that was supposed to go to Williams is on Kizer.   Had the route but didn't read the DB's leverage and how the WR would break off it.   Kasen did the right thing and squared his shoulders inside.      His footwork was also a bit spotty when he threw to the wrong shoulder on the second pick to Britt.      Again, Kizer had the route and the read... just a bad throw.  

6 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Fair assessment...

What I do not get is why Williams went away from his press-cover scheme. Shadowing TY with a 5-yd cushion had no chance of working.

Just noticed looking thru the play-by-play that we played Mingo today... lol... sure did not notice it in-game.

6 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Agree 100%. They're not doing Kizer any favors by having him throw almost every single play when nobody can catch and he can't hit anyone in stride. And because it's the Browns, they players he hit in stride dropped it, or got flagged for OPI

Except for Britt for 38 up the far sideline and Devalve for 20 on an out and a swing or two, there wasn't much in stride.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Some thoughts:

Opposing offenses will continue to go heavy ball action and attack our DB's vertical on early downs when you give them that many off looks.     The first strike to TY is a prime example of max protect and a 3 man pattern exploiting our inconsistent pass rush.         I'm also not a fan of our how we stack our linebackers because the backside tends to overpursue.           Why are we not running Crow with a lead more?      Jacoby's second TD rush was only made possible by a clear uncalled holding on Orchard.  He would have secured the tackle and what is worse is the ref starring right at it with no flag.     Peppers with more shitty angles and tackling which was directly responsible for TY again breaking off a long gain.   I hope Woody is seeing his boy in action.

Leslie is my kind of receiver because he fights for contested passes and most importantly has solid hands.     Njoku is starting to get more looks, if he could just work on his inline blocking and how he sells the release that would be nice.  Kizer drifting and throwing off his backfoot could have really fucked up that TD pass,  young blood needs to settle down.      The pick that was supposed to go to Williams is on Kizer.   Had the route but didn't read the DB's leverage and how the WR would break off it.   Kasen did the right thing and squared his shoulders inside.      His footwork was also a bit spotty when he threw to the wrong shoulder on the second pick to Britt.      Again, Kizer had the route and the read... just a bad throw.  

On the D I'll ask the same thing above... Why the change in defensive approach? Two weeks of Press with deep safety help, we go soft zone. You had to know takig away TY was the key. Press him with safety help and make the others beat you.

Also saw the fading Kizer footwork... not a good sign... and getting away with some throws only will make it worse.

Any comment on the Tour/gumby, fast-ball/tight-grip theory?

3 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Why does Crow get about 10-12 rushes a game when Hue stated "we're going to run the ball"

On the plus side, it's like opposite day in the NFl today. Seems like a lot of favorites got their asses kicked today.

I'm going to go with "trailing 28-7"... let me know if I win. Thing is that early, the run was pretty effective.

Agree... I think the clue was the TNF game. When it did not follow the script, we should have known it was going to be a crazy one.

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

It's a gorgeous day in SoCal.......... time to do something fun and head out for a bike ride.

I should have done the same...   

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Oh joy, now all of the totally not biased OSU fans that were waiting for a bad rookie game can be the keyboard warriors they always knew they could. Smh

Gonna be the worst case of bandwagoning on here. Peppers plays well "I liked that pick". Peppers has the obvious rookie, new position growing pains "Fuck Michigan! We could have had Hooker! I'm definitely not being biased!"

Gonna be a long week of OSU fans circle jerking around here. I guess that's par for the course though. I mean, Hooker got a desperation pick at the end. That basically seals it 3 games into their careers.

I won't bang on Peppers- he's doing what he's coached to do... There were other guys in the Brows secondary that played far worse... 

9 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I would be happy if he just returned A PUNT.

A lot of those punts were moon shots that had no reasonable chance of a return. I counted ONE that Peppers could have not fair caught. 

13 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

The chargers are pretty shiite too. If rivers is dinged or out thats prob a win but obviously not a blowout. Tbe colts were prob the worst team save maybe for the jets, that we're gonna see all season.

It's time to come to grips with the realization that the CB may be looking at 0-16 this season.  I was holding out for a win this week and may be one next but the CB are down now and each team they play are going to get up to play CB because they know they can win and that don't want to lose to a bunch of losers and be the laughing stock of the NFL.  Its better just to let CB keep that crown. 

May be the Browns should do what the Steelers did but extend it for the entire game.  It would be far less frustrating and they could be hero's for the cause for standing up for their 1st Amendment rights of not be ridiculed and laughed at.  Who should Cleveland waste the first pick of the first round on next year's draft?

11 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Why does Crow get about 10-12 rushes a game when Hue stated "we're going to run the ball"

On the plus side, it's like opposite day in the NFl today. Seems like a lot of favorites got their asses kicked today.

Some of you just check the stats after the game and then comment base on that, don't you?

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Some thoughts:

Right there with you man, good thoughts. To go off what you're saying

-You could actually hear Jacoby on three separate occasions call "max protect" on the audible. I literally said out loud "here comes a 15 yard out route to TY" and what do you know? Tough to be encouraged when you literally see the play coming from your couch.

-Don't even get me started on missed holds on Browns yesterday, especially on key plays. The "roughing the passer" (i.e. bullshit) was predicated on our guy getting arm-barred tackled to the ground before that call went against us. Double whammy of bullshit-I really hope the NFL at least considers making that type of thing reviewable. Right on with the Orchard  call too, another arm-bar (definition of holding) just not called. I'm so tired of the Browns not getting the benefit of the doubt. You can say "well that's how it goes" but that's honestly bullshit. The refs job is to make the call, and the Browns never get the close calls, only get called for them. That's the type of shit that directly leads to big plays for the other team, and in that case a TD.

-The point of playing Peppers back according to our defensive guys is to take away the deep threat and protect the weakness of the safety. Literally neither thing occurred, which I hope to God Gregg at least carefully starts to review. It's just not working.

-Kizer made bad throws, I'm not gonna sit here and defend them. But can you imagine playing the position when your guys drop EIGHT balls (including three beautiful deep balls)? I can't even begin to tell you how disappointing that is. Football is a momentum game, and our WR core absolutely took the wind out of the sails. No excuses.

We basically got beat by yet another premier WR.  We don't have one, and it becomes very apparent when the opposing team DOES.  

12 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Because that's about how many carries he gives his RB1. McFadden averaged about 16 carries/game in OAK and Hill averaged about 15/game in CIN under Hue, and they are both better RB1's than Crow. 

Crow averaged 12.4 attemps/game last year and is averaging 13/game this year, so it's not like there's any change in philosophy. We were down multiple scores early and we had to throw the ball often. That happens from time to time. 

The bigger problem is that last year Crow was averaging nearly 5 YPC and this year he's averaging 2.9. He's not a game-changing RB, he has questionable vision and he's having a hard time finding the holes. Sometimes he goes off, but as of right now he is a below average back. 

45 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Because that's about how many carries he gives his RB1. McFadden averaged about 16 carries/game in OAK and Hill averaged about 15/game in CIN under Hue, and they are both better RB1's than Crow. 

Crow averaged 12.4 attemps/game last year and is averaging 13/game this year, so it's not like there's any change in philosophy. We were down multiple scores early and we had to throw the ball often. That happens from time to time. 

The bigger problem is that last year Crow was averaging nearly 5 YPC and this year he's averaging 2.9. He's not a game-changing RB, he has questionable vision and he's having a hard time finding the holes. Sometimes he goes off, but as of right now he is a below average back. 

I always thought Crow was pretty marginal for a back.. A little bit better than average , but not elite.. I find him underwhelming, most times

My issue so far isn't Peppers alignment but two glarring plays he did exactly what stat treads said - missed tackles.  Bad.  The first one getting stiff armed by Hilton in the process.      The second was how he positioned himself going at TY.  Sure, receiver may have been running out of bounds but you always stay inside field shoulder and use the boundary as your extra defender. 

Re: the run game.  My concern is Hue being too obsessed trying to have a balanced offense and not an effective or efficient one.  If you're beating their front seven over the head with the run, then by all means, do what the Texans did against Cincy.  Lineup in 12 and 22 personnel, use a 6th lineman and pound the rock.  

It doesn't have to be pretty, just effective. 

edit:   To help my point

42 minutes ago, nickers said:

I always thought Crow was pretty marginal for a back.. A little bit better than average , but not elite.. I find him underwhelming, most times

I'm right there with you. He's a groove back with above average physical talent but that's about it IMO. He won't ever take games over, but he'll have a few scattered 100 yard / 2 TD performances in his career.

Duke is the guy that Hue wants to use and for good reason, he's a weapon. But he's not a volume carrier and right now he's a defensive key. Without anyone to take the pressure off him, he'll be bottled up often. 

What we need is a volume back with a see the hole, hit the hole mentality that can get us into those "plus" situations - 2nd and 4, 3rd and 1, etc. Those situations allow Hue to open the playbook up a little more and will drastically alter playcalling tendencies, making it harder for opposing DC's to gameplan for us. It would be wonderful to go and get a guy like Barkley and just hand the reigns over to him but I don't see this FO spending an early pick on a RB unless he's the second coming of Jesus.

A guy like Chubb in the second round would be a perfect complement to Duke IMO - he's a thick back with great vision and patience. His chunk run percentage is probably lower than most and his top end speed will never be elite, but he's great for 5 and 6 yard gains and, best of all, he breaks tackles. To top it off, the guy is apparently a great teammate and a weight room monster. 

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

I like Chubb as a runner but no thanks.  He already has two, I believe?  - significant knee injuries.     That's simply not a risk you can take right now.  

Yeah.. I'm sick of the browns taking flyers on guys with a history of injuries...

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

I like Chubb as a runner but no thanks.  He already has two, I believe?  - significant knee injuries.     That's simply not a risk you can take right now.  

I believe only the one, and he somehow didn't tear his ACL. Still grotesque as hell, but I'd take a chance on that.

Archived