THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

21 hours ago, jcam222 said:

As of today my favorite gameday food to serve at home going forward is smoked pork belly!! I don't know how this hid from me so long. I did 11 lbs. today rubbed up with my super secret rub and slow smoked 8 hours with a mix of hickory and apple wood. DAMN cubed and served up with BBQ for dip and a side of slaw its the bomb.

pork belly ready to smoke.jpg

PORK SLICED.jpg

prok belly out of smoker.jpg

Yum-a heart stopper in so many ways for sure.!!☠️😍

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Some ingredients are hard to find though.  My wife is an executive chef and she looks in the old blue book.

Wow an exec chef, so does she cook GAMEDAY meals or is that your department? 

My new "instant" sloppy joe for this football season:

1 lb of hamburger, well browned. take grease out.

1 can of Manwich Bold

several blurbs of Hunt's catsup.

It's great.

and, the age-old recipe -

2 packages of Jimmy Dean sage sausage

well browned, take out grease.

add a bowl of chopped up green tomatoes and another bowl

of chopped up sweet peppers, add one hot pepper maybe...

salt/pepper to taste.

saute. Makes a great sausage "sloppy joe"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

Just watched a dude in the show Alone kill, clean and eat a squirrel 

My dad used to hunt squirrel, rabbit and "other" small game with his .22 LR single shot but he grew up surrounded by old growth forrests during the Great Depression.  Try it maybe. (same .22 I learned to shoot with)

Now beef, pork, chicken, venision and modern day fare.....yeah, especially if fire is involved!  Ummmmmm. GAMEDAY food!

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2018 at 10:17 AM, calfoxwc said:

another favorite, a bit more work involved:

https://duckcommander.com/recipes/boiled-squirrels-and-dumplings

Well they should be easy pickins' since I put out bird seed off my back porch and watch the little rodents share it with the birds. Now I do have a pair of really fat dove that show up too and come Sept. 1, the season is on. Soak 'em overnight in 1/2 buttermilk & 1/2 red wine,  pin bacon around the breast meat and fire up the grill. Yum! And I bet that would work well on the little rodent critters too.🕊️🔥🐿️

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well they should be easy pickins' since I put out bird seed off my back porch and watch the little rodents share it with the birds. Now I do have a pair of really fat dove that show up too and come Sept. 1, the season is on. Soak 'em overnight in 1/2 buttermilk & 1/2 red wine,  pin bacon around the breast meat and fire up the grill. Yum! And I bet that would work well on the little rodent critters too.🕊️🔥🐿️

I'd rather catch me a good Wedgewood Pizza. .......ummmmm, good eats!

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, mjp28 said:

OMG, on July 4th a friend was over we were discussing favorite must have foundation cookbooks for starting or just having a basic collection. 

The blue NYT COOKBOOK came up, I checked we have the blue first edition published in 1961 by Craig Claiborne (1920-2000),  718 pages sitting next to our microwave on our kitchen counter!

One of the few two or three we have actually sitting out for everyday quick use the rest are on bookshelves. 

It is a compilation of about 1,500 NYT recipes from 1950-1960. OUR EVERYDAY GO TO BOOK. I PAID $1 FOR IT ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. 

The latest edition by an older Craig Claiborne is 1990, hardcover 800 pages,  from what I can see. Wow. Might actually have to get it, lol, I must be sick. :lol:

61wtaeVftHL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

$4.99 only 3 left in stock

& FREE Shipping <----- EDIT ADD, I JUST BOUGHT THIS ON AMAZON PRIME, $4.99 FORMER LIBRARY BOOK.  I AM SICK. :-)

Used - Good
Former Library book.Great prices and great return policy! Best books around. Your purchase benefits world literacy! « Show less

Just got our NYT cookbook today, an absolute steal at $4.99 from Amazon Prime delivered to our house. Spotless condition, not a mark on it!

University of Illinois library at Urbana Champaign, only taken out four times, 1993 (2), 1994, 1995. Not even a bent page.

Hardbound library edition, 799 pages it will be a working cookbook. I highly recommend it!

13 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just got our NYT cookbook today, an absolute steal at $4.99 from Amazon Prime delivered to our house. Spotless condition, not a mark on it!

University of Illinois library at Urbana Champaign, only taken out four times, 1993 (2), 1994, 1995. Not even a bent page.

Hardbound library edition, 799 pages it will be a working cookbook. I highly recommend it!

We have a cookbook of my sister in law's favorite recipes. I can tell you she has written up some really excellent stuff that she shared only with immediate family. Everything from desserts thru veggies and everything in between. Great job she did of collecting over about 4 decades and then put into print for us. Wonderful flavors throughout. And like any really good cookbook, we have to really shop in exotic places sometimes to find the exact ingredients.

Anyone like my Vietnamese Dog recipe (other than Cal-he'll eat anything that walks or crawls).😁

17 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I bought the last copy for $4.99.😀

18 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Spotless condition, not a mark on it!

Not even a bent page.

799 pages it will be a working cookbook. I highly recommend it!

Marry a southern women & she will show you bent & ripped out pages 📑..they all cook from their mama & grandma recipes index cards. So i decided on a cookbook around our 3rd anniversary. Not only did she look fat in that dress but that cookbook was sold to the 1st customer at a yard sale..💰cha-ching!   

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I bought the last copy for $4.99.😀

I just checked from the same seller, library book copy, sorry 2 still left. :lol:

Quantity
The New York Times Cook Book

$4.99

13 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Marry a southern women & she will show you bent & ripped out pages 📑..they all cook from their mama & grandma recipes index cards. So i decided on a cookbook around our 3rd anniversary. Not only did she look fat in that dress but that cookbook was sold the 1st customer at a yard sale..💰cha-ching!   

Oh yes bubba's cookbooks are gold!

So are the church fundraisers where they publish donated recipes.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

no, I'm very specific about what is good, Real American football season food.

it isn't a "make someone sick" thread.

So when's deer season up there Cal? Done right that can be some real good football day food.🦌

Every now and then I see a couple of wild turkeys from my back porch going along in the opening I have in my woods behind the back fence. Since I own part of those woods I'm sure I could get 'em, but not sure the next door neighbors who also own parts of it on either side would be so forgiving.🦃🤩

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So when's deer season up there Cal? Done right that can be some real good football day food.🦌

Every now and then I see a couple of wild turkeys from my back porch going along in the opening I have in my woods behind the back fence. Since I own part of those woods I'm sure I could get 'em, but not sure the next door neighbors who also own parts of it on either side would be so forgiving.🦃🤩

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Ohio Wildlife Council has approved regulations for the state's 2018-19 hunting season. The deer archery season will run from Sept. 29 to Feb. 3. The youth deer gun season will be Nov. 17-18. The deer gun season will run from Nov. 26 to Dec. 2 and Dec. 15-16.May 19, 2018

I spend a lot of time in the woods, we don't allow hunting. I've had a couple of neighbors ask permission during archery season,
to got on our land and get a deer that kept running for another 20 yards or so. I respect them - said "sure".
  They brought a nice tray of venison and venison gravy.
  If one day we need food, that would be great dinners. Squirrel - I grew up hunting squirrel and pheasant. Ah, pheasant is outstanding - but they froze out in the blizzard in...76 and 78?
  I'd love to go wild turkey hunting someday. and wild boar. Always wondered how good the bacon would be.

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Ohio Wildlife Council has approved regulations for the state's 2018-19 hunting season. The deer archery season will run from Sept. 29 to Feb. 3. The youth deer gun season will be Nov. 17-18. The deer gun season will run from Nov. 26 to Dec. 2 and Dec. 15-16.May 19, 2018

I spend a lot of time in the woods, we don't allow hunting. I've had a couple of neighbors ask permission during archery season,
to got on our land and get a deer that kept running for another 20 yards or so. I respect them - said "sure".
  They brought a nice tray of venison and venison gravy.
  If one day we need food, that would be great dinners. Squirrel - I grew up hunting squirrel and pheasant. Ah, pheasant is outstanding - but they froze out in the blizzard in...76 and 78?
  I'd love to go wild turkey hunting someday. and wild boar. Always wondered how good the bacon would be.

I have seen turkey here in RMNP on this visit to Colorado. Last year I saw a flock of about 5-6 crossing the road on the way up to Bear Lake. 

When I lived in Kansas (during Dodge City days?LOL) I went pheasant hunting with a friend and then later duck hunting. Those pheasant are so sneaky it's hard to spot them  even between the rows of harvested wheat until they pop up and fly. Great tasting for sure.

Squirrel truthfully I have never hunted or eaten. When I was a kid I found a baby squirrel that had fallen from the nest with a broken leg. I nursed it back to health using milk and an eye dropper until it was fully grown & healed. It would run up and down my arms and back and jump from kid to kid. Then it started staying out in the trees for hours before coming "home" and then overnight, until finally a few days at a time. I think he found a girlfriend and went wild because he disappeared for months. Then one day I spotted one outside, brought some pecans in my hand and sat down calling his name. He slowly and carefully came up and took them one by one until he had his fill and went back up his tree. Never saw him again, but I know that was him. So I just don't hunt 'em or eat 'em. Too many fond memories of my "little fella".

BTW how do you and I wrangle licenses for "youth deer gun season"? 

😂

• Upvote 1

Here is a great cookbook - got it at a garage sale for a dollar:

River Road Recipes

million copies Louisiana

they went all along River Road, getting recipes.

that's from Baton Rouge along the Mississippi River to New Orleans.

259 pages. by the Junior League of Baton Rouge

On 7/15/2018 at 5:49 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Wild turkeys are making a comeback. I've seen them a couple of times on my bike rides south of Dayton. Regarding shooting 'em- a .22 with a scope is a nice quiet solution. (Regarding a .22, I have a story about that one later.)

One thing that we've done too good a job of is restoring the Canadian goose population. Back in the late 50s and early 60s- they were rare. Now, there's bike paths along our Great Miami River I won't use- unless there's been a heavy rain to wash away the unavoidable one per square foot crap the flying poop machines have deposited. They won't even get out of my way 1\2 the time. (I've debated with my wife what would happen if I deliberately hit one with my bike) My brother and I used to have a standing joke about "the quality goose gun", an over\under 10 gauge magnum shotgun. I swear, sometimes they're so thick, I bet I could nail 5-6 of 'em with one pull of the trigger. 

As far as small wild game, I've pretty much tried it all (except goose), and don't much like it. Pheasant is tolerable, but just no to rabbit, squirrel, and duck (yuck). Venison isn't high on my list either. I decided if I'm not going to eat it, I'm not going to kill it. 

Getting back to my story of the last critter I shot. My pal used to have a farm down near the Ohio River in Indiana with no closed season and no daily bag limit. Went down there with Grandpa's .22 Browning semi-auto that I had just put a 9X 'scope on and I was going to sight it in. Went out back, set a bunch of cans on top of a fence, backed off 100 feet, and was going to plink them off. Just getting ready to shoot- I can't freaking believe it. A quail decides to land on the fence. Ready, aim, fire. Guess I'm sighted in OK. Had Quentin the Quail for Thanksgiving dinner. 

• Haha 2

I would love to try quail. Wildlife - depends on how you process some of this stuff. Everybody has their own tastes.

Froglegs are also really good, like squirrel. I hear Canadian goose is good, but you have to brine it overnight, something like that.

Never tried duck. I really, really want to try rattlesnake. My cousin was in special forces in laos and cambodia. One day, back in the 80's...Dad and I went down to WV to my uncle's funeral. Their homeplace was 250 acres - you can see the skyline drive from their back porch.

I tried to get my cousin to with me - but he wouldn't go rattlesnake hunting with me at night, up on the mountain. picky, picky, picky.

So I didn't go, either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

........ I tried to get my cousin to with me - but he wouldn't go rattlesnake hunting with me at night, up on the mountain. picky, picky, picky.

So I didn't go, either.

What could go wrong there? :lol:

Actually the cottonmouths, copperheads also kind of spook me enough......if around. 

........but I'll always eat venison done right! With gravy and onions and mushrooms and mashed potatoes, ummmmmm.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

What could go wrong there? :lol:

Actually the cottonmouths, copperheads also kind of spook me enough......if around. 

........but I'll always eat venison done right! With gravy and onions and mushrooms and mashed potatoes, ummmmmm.

LOL! When I was 15 I got bit on the toe by a copperhead. I should have thought to have my siblings fry him up for me after they killed him. Well I think it was them. I suppose he could have died from biting such a venomous bastard, even when I was young.😜

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I tried to get my cousin to with me - but he wouldn't go rattlesnake hunting with me at night, up on the mountain. picky, picky, picky.So I didn't go, either.

What could go wrong with that brilliant plan?😁

Try something different lately? I did, saw there you can order a delivered PAPA JOHN'S PIZZA online and if you enter 25DISC in the PROMO CODE you get 25% off your entire order.....on your Discover Card.

A few weeks ago, got 8 wings (tiny) large thin crust pizza (lousy) and chocolate chip cookies  (not bad), a $3.00 delivery charge NOT THE TIP, plus tip about  $30. You can track your pizza entirely online, from order/cook/box/out for delivery. Not a good pizza.

Well I just tried a deep dish large (I measured it, it was 12" not really large), $19.99 delivered with tip.....it was awful!! Not cooked right, soggy, half is still in the frig.

Live and learn, never again, NOT GAMEDAY FOOD. I'm sticking with WEDGEWOOD PIZZA!  :D