THE BROWNS BOARD

Rosen

Westside Steve

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2018 at 7:53 AM, Flugel said:

As I said previously, as much as I really like the top QB prospects they all have something to be concerned about.  I won't have a tough time getting excited about Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield.  That said, I'd need to revert back to my fraternity rules of attraction and power down somewhere between 6 and 12 beers in order to find Josh Allen to be an attractive choice.   And Lamar Jackson might require some Maddog 20/20 or Moonshine... 

You need to raise your standards Tom. I recommend a bottle of Ag's favorite rum, Diplomatico Reserva. I have a bottle on hand in the liquor cabinet in the event of that unfortunate occurrence...   I might even start hammering it if I hear Allen's name called when it's our turn.  

It's still a month away but (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield) + Chubb may be cause to break out the champagne....  

22 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Saw that.... what do you think Mora sees about NYG that makes him declare them the better fit?

The words:  New York.    

Whatever character flaws that Cal assesses to Rosen....rightly or wrongly, I do think that the desire to be in the spotlight in a big market is a primary motivation for Rosen.....having been just there in his time in LA.   Being from the LA area.....he  wants to be like Eva Gabor...and he thinks that coming to Cleveland to play football is like going to Hooterville.

The "spotlight" will be determined by level of play, not location. (See: James, LeBron)

I don't think Mora is looking at the best fit in any way other than from a coach's perspective. NYG, behind Manning, is a far better style "fit" then CLE, behind TT.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The "spotlight" will be determined by level of play, not location. (See: James, LeBron)

I don't think Mora is looking at the best fit in any way other than from a coach's perspective. NYG, behind Manning, is a far better style "fit" then CLE, behind TT.

You might hope and think that would be true:   style/fit/level of play.     But you also have the illogical human factor.  If a guy wants to go to a place...that is an illogical human factor in what he wants....or if he does not want to go to a place.  (I kind of thought the Eva Gabor/Hooterville analogy was kind of clever). 

So, which of these QBs WOULD be a better fit for Cleveland...playing behind TT, based on fit/style of play etc.?  And why?

I will say this:    I think the two most famous examples of a player NOT wanting to go play somewhere had all to do with fit/comfort level:

John Elway:   His Dad had coached against Frank Kush....and he knew that he didn't want any part of Frank Kush for his son.  Plus, maybe even more so....he did NOT want to play for the moronic, unpredictable, incompetent  Robert Irsay organization.

Eli Manning:  His Dad did not want his son to have any part of the Chargers organization....not so much because of the owner or the coach, I don't think...but because of the GM.......whose name was  Something Smith.   Archie wanted Eli to have no part of that guy.  And Archie was  OK with Peyton going to play with Jim Irsay's team.  

So...yes, perhaps....I can see Rosen...and his "team" of advisors saying:   You don't want any part of the Browns....and particularly Hue Jackson  who is thisclose to being fired there.   The coaching situation in Cleveland is too volatile.....so let's try to steer clear of that. 

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You might hope and think that would be true:   style/fit/level of play.     But you also have the illogical human factor.  If a guy wants to go to a place...that is an illogical human factor in what he wants....or if he does not want to go to a place.  (I kind of thought the Eva Gabor/Hooterville analogy was kind of clever). 

So, which of these QBs WOULD be a better fit for Cleveland...playing behind TT, based on fit/style of play etc.?  And why?

Facts not in evidence... especially in the case of clever...

If TT's is the style you want to emulate, then Mayfield would be my choice... and it would not be close. Very careful, pocket-first passer, but great on the move and a threat to run off RPO action.

Of course you could go for a QB that emulates TT but I feel like if you go away from Rosen you lose your chance to unlock the full potential of Landry in this offense with his work on the shallow, intermediate and middle of the field game that TT and Mayfield aren't known for.  

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I will say this:    I think the two most famous examples of a player NOT wanting to go play somewhere had all to do with fit/comfort level:

John Elway:   His Dad had coached against Frank Kush....and he knew that he didn't want any part of Frank Kush for his son.  Plus, maybe even more so....he did NOT want to play for the moronic, unpredictable, incompetent  Robert Irsay organization.

Eli Manning:  His Dad did not want his son to have any part of the Chargers organization....not so much because of the owner or the coach, I don't think...but because of the GM.......whose name was  Something Smith.   Archie wanted Eli to have no part of that guy.  And Archie was  OK with Peyton going to play with Jim Irsay's team.  

So...yes, perhaps....I can see Rosen...and his "team" of advisors saying:   You don't want any part of the Browns....and particularly Hue Jackson  who is thisclose to being fired there.   The coaching situation in Cleveland is too volatile.....so let's try to steer clear of that. 

Except there's nothing on record from Rosen to support the above and there's no instance where either Jim Mora, Sr. or Jr., crossed paths with any of the principals on the Browns staff.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Is that because you are so enamored with Rosen that you refuse to hear a discouraging word about him?  Even if it is a clever discouraging word?

If TT's is the style you want to emulate, then Mayfield would be my choice... and it would not be close. Very careful, pocket-first passer, but great on the move and a threat to run off RPO action.

And....the scuttlebutt is that Jimmy Haslam is going on and on and on about Mayfield....like he did with JFF.....so, perhaps there could be some owner intervention in the choice!!..

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Except there's nothing on record from Rosen to support the above and there's no instance where either Jim Mora, Sr. or Jr., crossed paths with any of the principals on the Browns staff.

Yes....it is all speculation.  So What?   That is what we do here a lot.   Besides...there HAS been some smoke along those lines.....so it is not like I pulled the speculation that Rosen doesn't want to come to Cleveland out of my heinie.  It has been a broad area of discussion.  

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Beat me to it Tour, my thoughts exactly. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes....it is all speculation.  So What?   That is what we do here a lot.   Besides...there HAS been some smoke along those lines.....so it is not like I pulled the speculation that Rosen doesn't want to come to Cleveland out of my heinie.  It has been a broad area of discussion.  

Well, if you are just going to make sh!t up you don't need to build a case... see below...

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

The Giants really really want Rosen and are afraid we are going to take him and have handed Jim Mora a stack of cash under the table?

... and that's how you do it... quick and clean... lol

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And....the scuttlebutt is that Jimmy Haslam is going on and on and on about Mayfield....like he did with JFF.....so, perhaps there could be some owner intervention in the choice!!..

... and that is how it's down as well.

Especially given that Jimmah has been taking the QB tour with his boys...

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well, if you are just going to make sh!t up you don't need to build a case... see below...

I didn't make it up.....I merely took what was already there and extrapolated.  Besides...I am a lawyer...I always have to build a Case....even if I am related to John Deere (inside family joke)

"You're not alone!" - Ziggy

Jordan ZirmVerified account @clevezirm

I've never understood the "highest ceiling" qualifier that gets attached to Josh Allen vs. these other QBs. like, is his ceiling hall of famer? otherwise, the ceilings of Rosen and Darnold feel just as high, and they're better right this second

8:22 AM - 26 Mar 2018
Replying to @clevezirm

I also think it’s a huge stretch to say his ceiling is even that high bc of the extreme accuracy issues. Maybe he can tweak his mechanics to the point where it’s no longer a glaring issue, but it would be an unprecedented turnaround for it to become a strength.

2 replies 1 retweet 4 likes 

exactly. the only way his "ceiling" becomes the highest is if he literally improves leaps and bounds on some of the most important aspects of his game. and that's a risky bet to take

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Tour2ma said:

Saw that.... what do you think Mora sees about NYG that makes him declare them the better fit?

Not really sure, I saw it another article where he referred to Rosen as a millennial and that's rarely a compliment. Something about he needed to be pushed to succeed. 

WSS

49 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Thanks....totally unable to find this on YouTube for myself.

well, you have to have the best lookup parameters, you know.

and the desire to find it in the first place....

Archived