THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas Says Haden Release "Demoralized" Team

wargograw

Absolutely - there was no freaking smart reason to have dumped Joe Haden. That was an azzwhole move. NOTE:

Joe referred to it was shock to the players AND the coaching staff.

sashi was trashy.

Joe Haden & Joe Thomas had the 2 greatest attitudes & love for Cleveland & the Browns on this Team.

As the one ad campaign states......Their value was/is PRICELESS!

Mike

Being Blunt here, but ever had to tell someone expecting another step up in pay from 10M? "Your worth about 3M less now".. guessing that's why agents get paid. Sure we had the money but come on Joe, accountability & injuries finally caught up with Haden in Cleveland. seems the same in steel town.. Luv ya #23, but it's time to find our next man up..(no we have no boooing emogiee's)   

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Joe-Thomas-Release-of-Joe-Haden-demoralized-Browns-113977688

I have to give it to Po. Most of us didn't find this that big of a deal (some did). But there you go. I for one was wrong on this.

So wait, it wasn't all of us big, bad fans saying mean things about the team the demoralized them?

Guess that makes you wrong about 2 things...... 

17 minutes ago, D Bone said:

So wait, it wasn't all of us big, bad fans saying mean things about the team the demoralized them?

He's awesome at analogies, though.

Fukck the Browns. Seriously. This team needs to be moved and renamed. Ridiculous.

The reality is, that for us, Joe was chasing guys into the end zone.

But does cutting him to save some millions look kinda' weird in light of the whole Osweiler thing?  Yes.

Pffft, now we’re going to romanticize slow Haden.  Sure, he was great before he became glass man and lost a step.  I’m not gonna feel bad because the Browns didn’t want to pay a CB3 like a top ten corner. Of course the team was demoralized by the cut, Joe was a great personality and was a guy that was a friend and leader to a majority of the locker room. The truth of the matter is that Joe had been grossly overpaid for 2 years in a row and the FO didn’t feel like making it 3.  Haden was a great ambassador of the team and city, but at this point in his career, the dude is a fuking bum on the field. 

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

Citing one thing that demoralized them in no way means there weren't others. Maybe you need a logic class. Or just high school. I don't know.

38 minutes ago, RoyceRolls said:

Pffft, now we’re going to romanticize slow Haden.  Sure, he was great before he became glass man and lost a step.  I’m not gonna feel bad because the Browns didn’t want to pay a CB3 like a top ten corner. Of course the team was demoralized by the cut, Joe was a great personality and was a guy that was a friend and leader to a majority of the locker room. The truth of the matter is that Joe had been grossly overpaid for 2 years in a row and the FO didn’t feel like making it 3.  Haden was a great ambassador of the team and city, but at this point in his career, the dude is a fuking bum on the field. 

I can't speak for JT, but I'm certainly not making the argument that this means Haden was good.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

He's awesome at analogies, though.

Ones that destroy your argument? Indeed I am.

3 hours ago, wargograw said:

Citing one thing that demoralized them in no way means there weren't others. Maybe you need a logic class. Or just high school. I don't know.

I can't speak for JT, but I'm certainly not making the argument that this means Haden was good.

Other than being a pro bowl caliber player ....he sucked?

And of course remember, it's the fans fault. ..  shyt starts flowing down from the top.

10 hours ago, wargograw said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Joe-Thomas-Release-of-Joe-Haden-demoralized-Browns-113977688

I have to give it to Po. Most of us didn't find this that big of a deal (some did). But there you go. I for one was wrong on this.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. It takes an even bigger man not to rub it in when he's right. Unfortunately, I'm not such a man. 

Hahahahaha, just kidding. I don't remember what I said specifically on this forum, but I imagine I wasn't happy about it, mainly because all Haden cost us was MONEY and that was actually something we had a lot of at the time. Seriously, what advantages did releasing Haden give us? He was the soul of the defense, he was finally healthy, he could actually play press-man, and he provided a veteran presence. 

Even Mary Kay Cabot harped all year about the stupidity of the move, and she's an idiot. Nobody understood the move, and it was yet ANOTHER move made by our office that was rumored to infuriate our coaching staff. I believe another was letting go Demario Davis (who had a decent year). Our team ended up being SO young and it appeared to be by design...which made no sense. But what many didn't fully grasp was the psychological damage caused by cutting players like Haden, and Joe Thomas has no problem telling it like it is. 

7 hours ago, wargograw said:

All I recall is your awesome analogy had people coming out of the woodwork denouncing you as an immature, out-of-touch troll.

Weird.

......... Thomas said that Haden's release was particularly felt by the younger players on the Browns roster.

"Especially all those young guys we have, they all looked up to Joe, they loved Joe, everyone loved him and we’re thinking, ‘We cut this guy and we have $70 million in cap space? What is that trying to say about the season?.'"

Adding salt to the wound was Haden signing with the hated Pittsburgh Steelers, who won the AFC North yet again as Cleveland was left languishing in the league's basement. ........

So what's most important here? Young player's feelings? Free up $70M in cap space? The now somewhat slipping if not ancient  old Pittsburgh rivalry?

Player's feelings (or fans' feelings or twitter chat) versus management rights to run the team in a business like manner, what is really the most important here anyway? 

Will this whole issue even be remembered when the next year's season begins, I don't think so but we'll see.

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Being Blunt here, but ever had to tell someone expecting another step up in pay from 10M? "Your worth about 3M less now".. guessing that's why agents get paid. Sure we had the money but come on Joe, accountability & injuries finally caught up with Haden in Cleveland. seems the same in steel town.. Luv ya #23, but it's time to find our next man up..(no we have no boooing emogiee's)   

It was hardball cap crap by Sashi. Not an isolated instance either. He could have resigned Pryor when he came crawling back with his tail between his legs, but Brown essentially showed him the finger. Dicking around with second team all pro Mitchell Schwartz, notice a trend? 

IIRC Haden was on the last year of his contract. So what if he was getting overpaid & had lost a step? You release him after the season. It wouldn't have affected 2018 cap space at all. Veteran leadership in the defensive backfield. Good enough to play for the Steelers, but not good enough for an 0-16 team?

Same deal as having Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan as the only warm bodies in the QB room. Nice thinking Sashi- it's why you're currently out of work.  

44 minutes ago, hoorta said:

IIRC Haden was on the last year of his contract.

You do not RC... he had three years left.

... his contract (and the $11.1 million salary for 2017, plus de facto team options for $11.1 million and $10.4 million the next two years)... https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/30/joe-haden-cut-cleveland-browns

The term "de facto team options" is just a cute way of saying none of his 2018 and 2019 money was guaranteed.

And as the saying goes... it takes three to make a trend.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

......... Thomas said that Haden's release was particularly felt by the younger players on the Browns roster.

"Especially all those young guys we have, they all looked up to Joe, they loved Joe, everyone loved him and we’re thinking, ‘We cut this guy and we have $70 million in cap space? What is that trying to say about the season?.'"

Adding salt to the wound was Haden signing with the hated Pittsburgh Steelers, who won the AFC North yet again as Cleveland was left languishing in the league's basement. ........

So what's most important here? Young player's feelings? Free up $70M in cap space? The now somewhat slipping if not ancient  old Pittsburgh rivalry?

Player's feelings (or fans' feelings or twitter chat) versus management rights to run the team in a business like manner, what is really the most important here anyway? 

Will this whole issue even be remembered when the next year's season begins, I don't think so but we'll see.

Not this specific move, but the accumulation of getting rid of pretty much all the Veteran presence especially at the QB position caused us an 0-16 season and title of worst team of all time. That stain will never be erased or forgotten it's history.   

Just now, WarriorsRpussies said:

Not this specific move, but the accumulation of getting rid of pretty much all the Veteran presence especially at the QB position caused us an 0-16 season and title of worst team of all time. That stain will never be erased or forgotten it's history.   

0-16 will live in BROWNS lore and NFL history forever. 

The Joe H. deal will not except for some of us diehard fans.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

It was hardball cap crap by Sashi. Not an isolated instance either. He could have resigned Pryor when he came crawling back with his tail between his legs, but Brown essentially showed him the finger. Dicking around with second team all pro Mitchell Schwartz, notice a trend? 

IIRC Haden was on the last year of his contract. So what if he was getting overpaid & had lost a step? You release him after the season. It wouldn't have affected 2018 cap space at all. Veteran leadership in the defensive backfield. Good enough to play for the Steelers, but not good enough for an 0-16 team?

Same deal as having Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan as the only warm bodies in the QB room. Nice thinking Sashi- it's why you're currently out of work.  

I think it was just analytics. Just pay the cheapest for whatever you can get and let go of anyone to cost any money.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You do not RC... he had three years left.

... his contract (and the $11.1 million salary for 2017, plus de facto team options for $11.1 million and $10.4 million the next two years)... https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/30/joe-haden-cut-cleveland-browns

The term "de facto team options" is just a cute way of saying none of his 2018 and 2019 money was guaranteed.

And as the saying goes... it takes three to make a trend.

I wuz wrong about that Tour.  :) But effectively then, he was on the last year of his contract. They had the option of not renewing his contract in 2018.  I also noticed guys like Tashaun Gipson- and a few other Ex-Browns making contributions to playoff teams...  But not good enough or too expensive for an 0-16 team? Little wonder Hue went running to Jimmy. LOL, trendy enough for you?  Ahem- someone (consensus?) my a$$- who had final control of the roster, dumped quality players unnecessarily to create all that cap space- and I'm not the only one who has that opinion.  

Playing the Gipson card? Really? A questionable player we said goodbye to prior to the 2016 season?

Let's see what he's contributed to JAX in his two years there...

• 32 starts... good...
  • 5 INTs... not terrible...
  • 9 passes defended??? For a FS?

Yeah... real difference maker there. Pass D production was half of what it was pre-injury for us.

Archived