THE BROWNS BOARD

Updating the Depth Chart

Zombo

On 8/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, Orion said:

Anyone know how well (or not) Reiter has been doing in camp / games?

I haven’t spent a lot of time analyzing Reiter’s play, but have spent time watching the guards next to him. I’ll echo what new23 and others have said and odds are he’s in the plans. To my recollection his play has been more consistent than either Corbett or Drango to this point. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

It was...I even mocked Shon to us in our draft..but so did Greg Robinson at Auburn.

Disagree on Robinson... I saw all athlete and no technique, and predicted bust.

23 hours ago, D Bone said:

Tape can't reveal heart, desire or love for the game..... and at the most elite level, it's what separates all of them.  

Ummmm... yes and no.

Tape reveals ability. Without it you can be all heart and it ain't enough. Case in point... Rudy.

Add heart/work ethic to ability? That's the winning combo.

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I haven’t spent a lot of time analyzing Reiter’s play, but have spent time watching the guards next to him. I’ll echo what new23 and others have said and odds are he’s in the plans. To my recollection his play has been more consistent than either Corbett or Drango to this point. 

Last night I watched the post of Mayfield's Every Play.  In the latter half of the video you start to see Reiter.  He looked pretty ok.  But he's playing against the backups to the backups.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ummmm... yes and no.

Tape reveals ability. Without it you can be all heart and it ain't enough. Case in point... Rudy.

Add heart/work ethic to ability? That's the winning combo.

For sure.... my point being was there is still no metric unit of measure of what's inside a player. Got to have both to be elite. 

30 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.dawgsbynature.coum/2018/8/26/17784014/final-cleveland-browns-53-man-roster-prediction

This writer has a few surprises on his guess at a final 53. Stanton doesn’t make it. Board and Ratley do. Cajuste does. Bello does not. McKinnon does.

10 DBs and 9 OL seems heavy, but that is probably where the depth is needed most ... I think he did a pretty good job.

Z

With all the dime packages these days 10 DBs seems natural...

As for the OL... our lack of a true swing man may require us to carry 9.

some cuts are in..WR-Evan Berry,//G-Geoff Gray,//T-Kevin Bowen,//TE-Julian Allen released from IR.,//DE-Marcell Frazier,//K-Ross Martin....add Earl Watford to G

2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

some cuts are in..WR-Berry,//G-Gray,//T-Bowen,//TE-Julian Allen released from IR.,//DE-M.Frazier,//K-Martin....add Earl Watford to G

ah the cuts have started I remember udfa berry some had high hopes for him cause of his brother

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.dawgsbynature.coum/2018/8/26/17784014/final-cleveland-browns-53-man-roster-prediction

This writer has a few surprises on his guess at a final 53. Stanton doesn’t make it. 

That would be like 4.3 Million odd? All the poker chips are in on TT. I get it. but if he starts slow or gets injury early, they run a large risk to their Baker plan. With like Baker having all of about a dozen of live game reps with the 1's.Don't like how that could set-up at all. Bro'bie would have to go PS. Or a better Stanton would have to fall in our lap..Mike Glennon?,,hell keep Stanton..

16 hours ago, gumby73 said:

some cuts are in..WR-Evan Berry,//G-Geoff Gray,//T-Kevin Bowen,//TE-Julian Allen released from IR.,//DE-Marcell Frazier,//K-Ross Martin....add Earl Watford to G

Not a list of "Who's Who", but rather "Who? Who???"

On 8/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, thenew23 said:

I gotta believe all of the following have secured a roster spot at this point:

QB- Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton

RB- Hyde, Johnson, Chubb   (Dayes/Vitale-FB ?)

WR- Landry, Gordon, Callaway, Higgins    (Ratley/Janis/Board/Willies)

TE- Njoku, Fells   (DeValve/Causte)

OL- Bitonio, Corbett, Tretter, Zeitler, Hubbard, Drango/(Watford/Robinson/Reiter/Harrison/S.Coleman)

DT - Coley, Meder, Ogunjobi, Brantley

DE- Garrett, Ogbah, C.Smith  (Nassib/C.Thomas/Orchard)

LB- Schobert, Kirksey, Collins, Kendricks***, Avery   (Burgess/Bello/Currie/Grace)

DB- Ward, Mitchell, Gaines, Carrie, Randall, Peppers, Kirksey?(Kindred), BBC   (McKinnon/Jordan/D.Smith)

ST- Hughlett, Colquitt

That's 40. Add a kicker and we have 41. That still leaves 12 open spots.  IMHO we still need receiver help and could use depth at DE.

The leaders for those last spots are probably:

Burgess LB, Nassib DE, Janis WR, C.Thomas DE, Vitale FB, Ratley WR, Reiter C/G, Jordan DB, DeValve TE, Coleman OL, S.Thomas DB, Orchard DE **Kudo's.. you got most**poor ST's may matter in last spots

Which isn't too bad for the bottom of a depth chart. However, I fully expect 4-5 of those spots to go to players that aren't currently with the Browns, including Dez Bryant.

Game night & pick'em ain't easy;) How bout we just thrown into a huge bubble?** I'll try to throw something together after the game..can't argue on your secured spots 

Random thoughts after tonite's game...

• Our 2's acquitted themselves well.
  • How can a team who looked so well drilled, so well prepared draw so many penalties?
  • Cajuste did not help himself.
  • After seeing both Dayes and Hilliard, I'd get Duke in the WR room STAT!
  • I like Robeck... the kid has something... and with TT providing the vet presence in the QB room and Baker taking the #2 slot in hand... Stanton is a luxury. Ship Drew... Keep Brogan.
  • Even after his JJ Watt impersonation, I think Orchard is toast.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:49 AM, Zombo said:

GUMBY'S Fab 53...

QB: Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton/// B.Roback

FB Vitale- IR or Cut

RB HydeChubbDuke,Dayes

WR1 Gordon, Callaway, Ratley

WR2 Landry, Higgins,Janis/// Willies 

TE Njoku, FellsDevalve /// Cajuste

LT Bitonio, Robinson

LG Corbett, Drango

C Tretter, Reiter

RG Zeitler, Watford

RT Hubbard ///Harrison

DE Garrett, C. Smith

DT Coley, Brantley// Henderson

DT Ogunjobi, Meder/// Faulk

DE Ogbah, Nassib,Orchard/// C.Thomas

SLB Collins,Burgess /// Bello

MLB  Schobert, Currie

WLB Kirksey/, Avery

CB Ward Mitchell,McKinnon /// D.Rice 

CB Gaines,Carrie, Jordan 

SS Peppers, Kindred/// D.Smith 

FS Randall, BBC // T.Sankoh*

K Gonzalez

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Calloway,Peppers

PR Calloway, Peppers

25 ballers on both sides of ball. CB Simon Thomas was my last cut. Faulk fell to PS before McKinnon did, due to position numbers.May change some things cause that PS can get plucked..Brobie should have been benched for Stanton for to good of QB play voiding PS...Kept Janis/Orch/Dayes cause this ST's are awful Coach Famous Amos,(anybody miss Tabor yet?) Open to any advise on 53..we will throw a hammer at it..🔨to work out the kinks..

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

25 ballers on both sides of ball. CB Simon Thomas was my last cut. Faulk fell to PS before McKinnon did, due to position numbers.May change some things cause that PS can get plucked..Brobie should have been benched for Stanton for to good of QB play voiding PS...Kept Janis/Orch/Dayes cause this ST's are awful Coach Famous Amos,(anybody miss Tabor yet?) Open to any advise on 53..we will throw a hammer at it..🔨to work out the kinks..

Need the injury reports before I can make final determinations ... Dayes? DeVulva? Bello? Board? lots of bubble guys are hurt and could be stashed on IR. I'm thinking keep Orchard because he can play some outside linebacker and we are suddenly thin there.

Stanton? Cut him and keep his phone number handy.

Dorsey will be scouring cuts, the last five guys to make the roster may not make the roster if you know what I mean ....

Zombo

8 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Need the injury reports before I can make final determinations ... Dayes? DeVulva? Bello? Board? lots of bubble guys are hurt and could be stashed on IR. I'm thinking keep Orchard because he can play some outside linebacker and we are suddenly thin there.

Stanton? Cut him and keep his phone number handy.

Dorsey will be scouring cuts, the last five guys to make the roster may not make the roster if you know what I mean ....

Zombo

I guess it was Burgess that got injured (concussion) not Bello.

Zombo

4 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

So any guys slightly hurt cannot be cut.  If placed on IR list does that count as a roster spot?

No, but they gotta make a decision on them when they become healthy.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Need the injury reports before I can make final determinations ... Dayes(ankle)? DeVulva(quad)? Bello(Clean i think)? Board(keep his # or PS)? lots of bubble guys are hurt and could be stashed on IR.(PUP goes away? 2 IR's? best week 8 maybe 6?) I'm thinking keep Orchard because he can play some outside linebacker and we are suddenly thin there.(agree, but I like Orch no better than Currie nor Burgess?)

Stanton? Cut him and keep his phone number handy.(Deer in headlights we've seen at QB..Take Stanton's real game background imo)

Dorsey will be scouring cuts, the last five guys to make the roster may not make the roster if you know what I mean ....(KC background says it happens today or before 4pm Saturday

Zombo

^^ Z things will roll quick and when Haley told the world on Hard knocks in QB room "Except for Bro'bie" I think PS was his target then..

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

^^ Z things will roll quick and when Haley told the world on Hard knocks in QB room "Except for Bro'bie" I think PS was his target then..

I think Mayfield has progressed so well that Stanton is expendable.

What I would do: Stanton "retires" and joins the staff as an asst. QB coach ... If we get an injury we activate him.

Zombo

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Random thoughts after tonite's game...

• Our 2's acquitted themselves well.
  • How can a team who looked so well drilled, so well prepared draw so many penalties?
  • Cajuste did not help himself.
  • After seeing both Dayes and Hilliard, I'd get Duke in the WR room STAT!
  • I like Robeck... the kid has something... and with TT providing the vet presence in the QB room and Baker taking the #2 slot in hand... Stanton is a luxury. Ship Drew... Keep Brogan.
  • Even after his JJ Watt impersonation, I think Orchard is toast.

Baker's pocket presence is impressive to say the least, and the primary reason I wanted him (great ball placement and accuracy) was on full display.  

But I still think the Juice makes the roster. Devalve gets the non-available axe. 

Dayes looked good, but is there room for him on the team? 

Nah, Stanton was brought in to mentor Baker, Brogan to PS.  

If we cut Orchard, he'll find a place on another team's roster.  

Improved overall talent is going to make some of these cuts a lot tougher.... 

4 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I strongly believe we should cut Stanton and keep Brogan. I think he has potential in this league. Stanton truly isnt necessary with Tyrod in the QB room. 

Definitely a tough call. I posted an article that sort of delved into the chemistry that Stanton adds to the QB room in the tenuous situation the Browns have with QB1 now and QB1 later. Basically, it allows zero expectations for Taylor to have to deal with grooming his replacement and allows him to just lead and play.

But Roback did look more effective than Stanton and could be a good QB2 later.   

5 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Definitely a tough call. I posted an article that sort of delved into the chemistry that Stanton adds to the QB room in the tenuous situation the Browns have with QB1 now and QB1 later. Basically, it allows zero expectations for Taylor to have to deal with grooming his replacement and allows him to just lead and play.

But Roback did look more effective than Stanton and could be a good QB2 later.   

The Cook looked good for just a lowly Cook.

Stanton hasn't shown sh!t this preseason.

You "mentor" by being in the room and preparing for your start. Pretty sure TT will let Baker watch/listen.

Keep Brogan!

Archived