THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Let go of McCourty

stillmotion

via Rotoworld

Browns released CB Jason McCourty.

It's a surprising move as McCourty was easily the team's best defensive back last season and was due a reasonable $3 million in 2018. McCourty did fade as the year went on, however, and the Browns have made a concerted effort to bolster their secondary this offseason by adding Damarious Randall, T.J. Carrie and Terrance Mitchell. The 30-year-old should attract plenty of interest on the open market. Perhaps he'll be an option for the Patriots, who lost Malcolm Butler in free agency. McCourty's twin, Devin, is New England's starting free safety.

52 minutes ago, sdballis said:

We move from 219 to 205.

We move up just 14 spots near the end of the draft....and they get what was our best CB?  

WTF?  If that is a "football guy" move....  explain how so?   If we got their 6th round pick....with no swap of picks...I could possibly see that.   If this were in the first, 2d,3rd round...maybe.     But this seems like extraordinarily weak compensation.     (but sure...better than an out right release).

9 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

This is what happens when you're publicly critical of your boss.  Buhbye.

I guess I missed it....What is that all about?    And which boss?   Dorsey.....yea...I can see where that would get you in trouble.  Hue?  I would think not...it should be open season on criticizing Hue. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I missed it....What is that all about?    And which boss?   Dorsey.....yea...I can see where that would get you in trouble.  Hue?  I would think not...it should be open season on criticizing Hue. 

Dorsey said the last FO didn't get real players and goofball decided to say he was offended.  He should have shut up and cashed his check.  But his feelings and stuff.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/jason_mccourty_bugged_by_those.amp

Sounds like Jackson made some comments that irked McCourty, and others. Duke Johnson, he of the potential contract extension, seems to agree per this article.

I dunno. I’d be pissed too if my bosses were throwing me under the bus to save their own asses, especially when they contributed to the suck fest too.

3 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/jason_mccourty_bugged_by_those.amp

Sounds like Jackson made some comments that irked McCourty, and others. Duke Johnson, he of the potential contract extension, seems to agree per this article.

I dunno. I’d be pissed too if my bosses were throwing me under the bus to save their own asses, especially when they contributed to the suck fest too.

I have no problem with McCourty being POed about the comments.   If there were a few guys that were "real players".....McCourty was one of them.  

Jamar Taylor? Not so much.

29 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

didn't huey also talk trash about crow saying that anyone could have run through those holes 

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

Dorsey said the last FO didn't get real players and goofball decided to say he was offended.  He should have shut up and cashed his check.  But his feelings and stuff.

Dude just got traded from an 0-16 team to the AFC champs. 

Sure showed him what was up!

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

lol... Yeah... trade his butt to the Pats... make him play with his brother... that'll show him.

If there's any truth to this being a factor, then this is far worse than I ever thought it would be.

Just now, hx214 said:

Dude just got traded from an 0-16 team to the AFC champs. 

Sure showed him what was up!

Great minds think alike...

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... Yeah... trade his butt to the Pats... make him play with his brother... that'll show him.

If there's any truth to this being a factor, then this is far worse than I ever thought it would be.

More like cutting the cancer away.  Poor guy.  So sad.  It's even far worse than the far worse you thought it would be in some other reality.

13 minutes ago, syd said:

Shmucking Christ you guys make it sound like he was headed to the HOF so he shined in a backfield of turds guess that made him king turd 

He played VERY well and this move is beyond Shmucking stupid. The FO started out with a bit of a bang with trades and since then has progressively Sheet the bed to the point of outright negligent. 

1 minute ago, jcam222 said:

He played VERY well and this move is beyond Shmucking stupid. The FO started out with a bit of a bang with trades and since then has progressively Sheet the bed to the point of outright negligent. 

I don't know about all that but regarding THIS move, it's puzzling. 

Basically they just released a productive guy who didn't break the bank. 

6 minutes ago, The User from Cleveland said:

Does this mean we're drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I think the Browns would love to bookend Garrett with Chubb at the other DE spot.... Or maybe a trade down could happen to go after a LT? 

I'd be quite fine with Fitzpatrick though

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

I think the Browns would love to bookend Garrett with Chubb at the other DE spot.... Or maybe a trade down could happen to go after a LT? 

I'd be quite fine with Fitzpatrick though

Yh, I deleted my post right when you replied to it lol. I think Fitz is a safety, not a CB. So on second thought, I'm not sure if trading McCourty affects this.

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I hope  Dorsey has had a long talk with Hue about bad mouthing guys he's coaching, or the bus will be running him over next- if he doesn't produce a fair amount of wins this year.  

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I hope  Dorsey has had a long talk with Hue about bad mouthing guys he's coaching, or the bus will be running him over next- if he doesn't produce a fair amount of wins this year.  

It seems like Hue rubbed people the wrong way. He has his favorites, but Crow obviously hated him, Shelton and him might've not seen eye-to-eye, and McCourty wasn't keen on him.

I haven't watched analyses of his individual play - PFF only rated him above average, 27th for CB's. 

Yes he had a couple good games but he also had more than that number of terrible days at the office -- gave up 7/94/1 to Keenan Allen for example, and didn't get a single tackle or PB against the Bengals while earning a 35.1 rating.

BBC was more consistent with his 24th rating.. Taylor is not bad for a 4th CB next season..

3 hours ago, htownbrown said:

More like cutting the cancer away.  Poor guy.  So sad.  It's even far worse than the far worse you thought it would be in some other reality.

Cancer? lmao...

Let me guess... MAGA?

Archived