THE BROWNS BOARD

Cory Coleman Traded

darren15

8 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Another new regime dumping players from the old one. The cycle continues 🙈

This could partly be it. Of course, in 99% of the cases, the guys dumped deserved to be, and never really produced much elsewhere.  About the only guy I can think of is Dion Lewis....who went from here to New England.   And maybe much of his success had to do with the fact that they had Tom Brady throwing to him.

Can anyone name any other Browns player who was let go/traded because the Browns thought they were not productive, but who went elsewhere and did quite well?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Can anyone name any other Browns player who was let go/traded because the Browns thought they were not productive, but who went elsewhere and did quite well?

Bernie.............. Too soon? 

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think Ratley made the team with that long pass catch from Mayfield last week.

Coleman was traded the moment he dropped the wide open sideline pass from the Kaiser.  It was a matter of when, not if.

Well...I DO think that it may have been the performance of our rookie WRs that led the Browns brass to believe that Coleman was expendable.  And it really demonstrates to me that they think that Josh Gordon WILL be around and performing.

18 minutes ago, syd said:

I heard he pissed off Haley that he didn't fight hard enough for the ball

I have NO doubt that Haley had a big say in letting him go.  I mean, they had what?  7-8 WRs...or more vying for roster spots:   Gordon, Landry, Higgins, Janis, Ratley, Calloway...and Coleman,  plus some guys that may to us seem like scrubs:  CJ Board, Evan Berry, Derrick Willies, Scott Demarie, Blake Jackson....I think the OC must have seen more out of these guys than he did from Coleman.

16 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Paul Warfield

I am thinking more along the lines of this century.    (plus, I do not think the Browns thought that Warfield was unproductive....I think they were just looking to get what they thought was a franchise QB...and they had to give up a huge prize to get that)

Dion Lewis did OK in New England as you said, Taylor Gabriel did OK for a season ...

31 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Dion Lewis did OK in New England as you said, Taylor Gabriel did OK for a season ...

Travis Benjamin has been ok too I believe. 4 TD's per season so far with the Chargers. I never understood why we let him go with just short of 1000 yds and 5 TD his last year with us.

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

To put that in a recent perspective, with this trade not single first round pick from 2012-2016 is still on the roster. That's with the Browns drafting the 2nd most 1st round picks in the time frame. 

Pathetic to say the least.

CLEVELAND BROWNS FOOTBALL is this a great franchise  or what!  :lol:

Well I will say however that it at least appears that the current brain trust is making some moves in the right direction. 

GO BROWNS! We love ya'.

33 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Travis Benjamin has been ok too I believe. 4 TD's per season so far with the Chargers. I never understood why we let him go with just short of 1000 yds and 5 TD his last year with us.

I think both Benjamin...and Taylor Gabriel left here as a result of being free agents....so I don't know if technically you can say that the Browns dumped them.   I mean, TJ Ward went on to play with the Super Bowl winning Broncos. 

So, I don't think the Browns gave up on those guys. They may in fact have wanted to keep them all.....but did not want to pay the freight that other teams were willing to do so...or, they just did not want to continue to play here...because of the losing or other factors.

24 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

CLEVELAND BROWNS FOOTBALL is this a great franchise  or what!  :lol:

Well I will say however that it at least appears that the current brain trust is making some moves in the right direction. 

GO BROWNS! We love ya'.

The concern is the fact that some of the previous brain trusts did the same thing......to no avail.    So let's just hope that Dorsey isn't just another in a line of the same failures we have had here in terms of personell selectors.

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

I do NOT think we are signing Dez. I DO think Gordon will be starting game 1. I think Coleman was expendable, Sashi blew that draft, let's deal with it and enjoy what Dorsey is putting together.

Our WRs will be formidable.

Gordon in the X, Landry in the slot, Callaway is the third reciever, should have a great  rookie year, because you have to cover those other two.

Then I've got Hollywood Higgins and Jeff Janis and Bo Ratley. Higgins is having a great camp, Ratley looking like a good pick in the 6th, Janis is special teams ace and sneaky fast reliable option.

CJ Board having a good camp? The more the merrier.

Once Callaway showed he can do everything Coleman can do (and more on ST) Coleman was the odd man out.

Zombo

Yeah Zombo... I don't think so.

Landry? Check. Excellent slot receiver. Fits Tyrod's game like a glove.

Gordon? We don't even know if he'll play.

Calloway? May be okay.

Hollywood? Looked good in Camp so far? Lol! Yeah he's been great alright.

Others? Who knows? Unlikely if we're being honest.

I want to be optimistic, but part of that was hoping that Coleman could actually take a step forward as a fourth option. Still thought there was some potential there. 

Definitely would feel much better with a proven pass-catcher added to the group.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Yeah Zombo... I don't think so.

Landry? Check. Excellent slot receiver. Fits Tyrod's game like a glove.

Gordon? We don't even know if he'll play.

Calloway? May be okay.

Hollywood? Looked good in Camp so far? Lol! Yeah he's been great alright.

Others? Who knows? Unlikely if we're being honest.

I want to be optimistic, but part of that was hoping that Coleman could actually take a step forward as a fourth option. Still thought there was some potential there. 

Definitely would feel much better with a proven pass-catcher added to the group.

Gordon will be back. Higgins can do what Coleman could do as a fourth. Calloway will do better than Coleman. I feel zero disappointment today.

Z

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I absolutely hate this. I said months ago, as did many of us, that trading Corey doesn't make sense. Why trade a 1st round pick who only played two years with a broken hand AND never got to play with a real qb? You're never going to get anything close to comparable value! What did we get? A 5th round pick? Who CARES ABOUT A 5TH ROUND PICK? How often do those guys make a difference?! So stupid. 

That's been the Browns MO for a long time. Draft high, give away low. A seventh in the 2020 draft is less than a bag of footballs. If that's all we were able to get for Coleman- stop bemoaning the fact that he's gone, it should tell you what the rest of the league's talent evaluation of him was. What did we get for super studs Johnny Football and bad attitude Justin Gilbert?  Johnny is throwing interceptions in Canada, and Gilbert is out of football.  Great talent evaluation there. 

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

To put that in a recent perspective, with this trade not single first round pick from 2012-2016 is still on the roster. That's with the Browns drafting the 2nd most 1st round picks in the time frame. 

Pathetic to say the least.

Not only that- there was a just a segment on ESPN detailing our Browns woes. Cleveland is the only team in the NFL that can "proudly" say we don't have a single first round pick on our roster from that time frame. 

They alluded there were locker room issues, besides lack of production with Corey. Also said- he may have track speed, but his separation from defenders was below average, add in the dropsies- understandable Dorsey sent him packing. Pointed out the guys responsible for that atrocious record of drafting aren't in the organization anymore. Dorsey is trying to salvage what he can out of bad decisions made by Sashi. Schefter pointed out Brown trading down & drafting Coleman instead of taking Carson Wentz may go down as one of the biggest draft day blunders in recent history. Then, pending on how Ward turns out at CB, he doubled down and didn't take Deshawn Watson.  

PS- their "sources" are saying Gondon is coming back, perhaps soon. 

This is a head scratcher..

On one hand, Coleman hasnt lived up to expectations, 

on the other hand, he is still young and has shown potential. 

With this uncertainty of JG, it's peculiar they deal Coleman.

If I am Dorsey, I can make this trade after I find out about JG.

Why not play CC in a few preseason games and THEN trade him once JG comes back. (Assuming IF he does, which we all hope for)

Could of gotten way more than some conditional pick.. Would of been nice to have added an OL or something..

7 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Why not play CC in a few preseason games and THEN trade him once JG comes back. (Assuming IF he does, which we all hope for)

Could of gotten way more than some conditional pick.. Would of been nice to have added an OL or something..

I do agree the timing was odd- or did Dorsey, and maybe Haley want him gone in the worst way? Could be they're seeing so much more in Callaway they deemed Coleman totally expendable. With that trade, we do wipe $3.5 million off the cap- not that it matters....   

But regarding Gordon, the Browns must think it's near certain Josh is coming back...  

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I do agree the timing was odd- or did Dorsey, and maybe Haley want him gone in the worst way? Could be they're seeing so much more in Callaway they deemed Coleman totally expendable. With that trade, we do wipe $3.5 million off the cap- not that it matters....   

Could very well be they like Callaway better, but we won't know how he turns out until he steps out on to the field during a game.

I would have waited, played CC in a few preseason games to bump up his value, then trade him...

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This could partly be it. Of course, in 99% of the cases, the guys dumped deserved to be, and never really produced much elsewhere.  About the only guy I can think of is Dion Lewis....who went from here to New England.   And maybe much of his success had to do with the fact that they had Tom Brady throwing to him.

David Patten, Sheard

33 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Thats why I believe Dez is on the way.

Gordon is next out the door. Would not count on him ever again.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

IIRC Dion Lewis was injured in camp and was released because of injury. Taylor Gabriel also did pretty well with Atlanta.

23 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

IIRC Dion Lewis was injured in camp and was released because of injury. Taylor Gabriel also did pretty well with Atlanta.

That’s because Brandon Weeden is a worthless pile of crap that threw a pass to Lewis across the middle that got him destroyed and broke his leg in a freaking meanless preseason game... Weeden gets my vote for most worthless 1st rounder ever. 43 year old rookie.... nice pick Walrus...

32 minutes ago, hx214 said:

That’s because Brandon Weeden is a worthless pile of crap that threw a pass to Lewis across the middle that got him destroyed and broke his leg in a freaking meanless preseason game... Weeden gets my vote for most worthless 1st rounder even. 43 year old rookie.... nice pick Walrus...

Agree, not nice to speak ill of the dead but what was Heckert thinking with that pick?

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Gordon will be back. Higgins can do what Coleman could do as a fourth. Calloway will do better than Coleman. I feel zero disappointment today.

Z

I'm usually right there with you Zombo. But  "such-and-such isn't needed because we have Rashard Higgins" just sounds like the call of the deluded. 

I was in favour of making a veteran add at WR before Coleman was dealt. Now it strikes me as necessary. 

Just now, Mr. Make-Believe said:

I'm usually right there with you Zombo. But  "such-and-such isn't needed because we have Rashard Higgins" just sounds like the call of the deluded. 

I was in favour of making a veteran add at WR before Coleman was dealt. Now it strikes me as necessary. 

It's not about how great Rashard Higgins is, it is about how useless Corey Coleman was. We are talking about 4th receivers here.

Zombo

1 minute ago, Zombo said:

It's not about how great Rashard Higgins is, it is about how useless Corey Coleman was. We are talking about 4th receivers here.

Zombo

Well when your second and third receivers are a fourth round pick rookie and a guy who isn't even practising with the team, the fourth WR looks a lot more important.

I certainly want things to work out with Gordon and Calloway, but I either have too much evidence or too little respectively to share your confidence.

After Coleman's first season, he was the most productive of the top receivers in his draft class.  (not saying much, they all got hurt worse than him)

I won't miss him.  When he dropped that 4th down pass against the Steelers that cost us what could've been our only win, I was done with him.  He's useless.

Haley obviously didn't like him.  Glad he's gone.  Sad that we couldn't get anything for him....but he was gonna be cut anyway.   Good Riddance.  

- Sahshi and his bunch were quite the talent evaluators - 

Archived