THE BROWNS BOARD

Peppers

alporcini

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Flyin J said:

I think a lot of people here are confused that there is in fact a difference between FS and SS.  Its the difference between Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

Depends on the defensive system and personnel demands.  Other times the differences aren't as drastic. 

SS in the NFL is more often than not a LB/DB hybrid.  Theres Chancellor/McDonald, Keanu Neal, Jonathan Cyprien, Harrison Smith, Reshad Jones, Landon Collins, Kenny Vaccaro, TJ Ward.   A SS has to be able to play in the box, and play a 2 deep.  They need to cover TEs, and maybe a RB.    Theyre usually the guy on a D that will bring the big hit.  A FS has to be a great center fielder and generally stick to deep zones except when theres a heavy blitz and they man up.

13 hours ago, Flyin J said:

I think a lot of people here are confused that there is in fact a difference between FS and SS.  Its the difference between Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

Well....that is because the positions have now likely become confused.   Like in basketball.....look at LeBron say....a 6'8" versatile player.  He can be a point guard, a shooting guard, a small forward, a power forward,  could possibly even play the middle.   

And DBs these days.....sometimes they have to do the traditional cornerback role, or the SS role, or the FS role.   Versatility now in being able to do all of the above is becoming the trend.   Can Peppers be that versatile guy?   Or must he be slotted into one of the traditional roles for him to live up to his potential and his reputation and his draft status?

8 hours ago, Flyin J said:

SS in the NFL is more often than not a LB/DB hybrid.  Theres Chancellor/McDonald, Keanu Neal, Jonathan Cyprien, Harrison Smith, Reshad Jones, Landon Collins, Kenny Vaccaro, TJ Ward.   A SS has to be able to play in the box, and play a 2 deep.  They need to cover TEs, and maybe a RB.    Theyre usually the guy on a D that will bring the big hit.  A FS has to be a great center fielder and generally stick to deep zones except when theres a heavy blitz and they man up.

right....versatility.

33 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....that is because the positions have now likely become confused.   Like in basketball.....look at LeBron say....a 6'8" versatile player.  He can be a point guard, a shooting guard, a small forward, a power forward,  could possibly even play the middle.   

And DBs these days.....sometimes they have to do the traditional cornerback role, or the SS role, or the FS role.   Versatility now in being able to do all of the above is becoming the trend.   Can Peppers be that versatile guy?   Or must he be slotted into one of the traditional roles for him to live up to his potential and his reputation and his draft status?

If a guy is great at multiple rolls then thats when you see them being moved around to play what benefits the team most in certain situations.  Maybe Peppers is better than our backup FS and in a cover 1 situation they could slide him over when Randalls out and play Kindred at SS.  I think he'll stick to SS until he gets better at coverage, but hes a very young player in another new position.  He'll get better.  

On 8/28/2018 at 11:48 PM, thenew23 said:

Well, considering when he returned from injury he was immediately running with the first team at SS tells me, maybe he has flashed enough to "distinguish" himself...

They brought in help in Randall and Kindred is still getting a decent amount of snaps.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:29 PM, SD_Tom said:

Then again,  I'm just some schmuck on the interwebs 

Don't sell yourself short...

You are an exceptional schmuck.

22 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

peppers natural position fit is SS, why he was played at free last year is still a mystery to me. He's the guy u use near the los who can still recover depth. The steelers were smart enough to put troy at SS instead of FS.....coach williams?

cause are secondary sucked balls and he had no choice as it shows with the addition of players in the back peppers will play ss

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

peppers natural position fit is SS, why he was played at free last year is still a mystery to me. He's the guy u use near the los who can still recover depth. The steelers were smart enough to put troy at SS instead of FS.....coach williams?

Williams basically said, that while that deep safety wasn't Peps best position, he the best one at it on the roster last year

Archived