THE BROWNS BOARD

STEELER WEEK

Dick Mellon

1 hour ago, Claret&Brown said:

I'm only 1 year in to my support of the browns so I've NEVER seen them win!! Why would someone start supporting the browns at this point in time??  I love the underdog, and I love the unconditional support that browns fans give. You have character, the browns have character, the browns have a great history. I know a lot of fans are at the end of their patience with the continued disappointment year after year...I can understand that. But looking in from the outside, which is what I have done for the last year or so, it feels like people are willing the browns to turn it around...and not just browns fans.

As bob says above, IF they manage to turn it around, IF they give the fans something to be proud of, there will be such an outpouring of love and support for them it would be magical. Just watching the clips of the chargers game and the last minute fg miss and how the fans reacted shows how much it means to fans. If ever a franchise deserves some good fortune its the browns....I just hope it happens soon!

Go browns!!

I am on the unofficial newcomers welcoming committee. I came with JM, recommended Myles Garrett before he was "MYLES F'N GARRETT" as a part of my redemption and stuck around for the turnaround because of the long suffering Browns fans on this site. Plus I have learned a great deal more about the intricacies of the pro game than I knew before arrival thanks to several very knowledgeable fans here. And when the Browns go to Mile High this year to play my other favorite team, I hope my nephew and my older brother who are attending that game go home very disappointed.

Welcome to the newcomers club. There's no bandwagon yet, but we're aworkin' on it!🤩

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Bob, you raise a good question, at least for this board, but you are not likely going to get objective answers. It is the TEAM, not the city, NEVER the city. Just like, it is THE PLAYER, not THE CITY. The Hoorts would have you believe that it is the fans, and the community that owns the team, but it isn't. Without Art Model much of what is now the NFL would never have been. Art Modell was more a part of the Browns than the city of Cleveland. Art spent the money, he did the work. The fans, media and politicians just show up to gorge at the party,

Stan, the guy who owns this board argued with me vehemently on this point. But, two years ago, as we sat in Vegas having drinks, he said to me, " You were right Tom, this team should have never been named the Browns".

To me, the biggest sin was committed by the fans who abandoned all decency and respect for what the Browns stood for, and cried like babies that the name had to stay in Cleveland. So, the fans in Cleveland got what they asked for. They deserve exactly what they got. Most fans who have been around for 30 years or more consider the Browns a joke, a facade, and see the Ravens as the real Browns, which, they are. There is not one torch that has been passed from any Browns player, coach, writer or executive of the past, to anyone on this new team. There is simply no historical connection.

Vegas Raiders? YEP................ the RAIDERS is the brand. Nobody gives a schidt if they are rooting for Oakland, LA or Timbuctoo....RAYDAHS...........

You say, why did it take until now? I think you are being unrealistic. This team is not going to fare much better than the ones that preceeded it. The things that keep the Browns from winning as not talent. The Browns have had plenty of talent since 1999. The problem is discipline, honor, pride.

DO you see? How can any player come to Cleveland and feel a sense of pride and honor? Honor to what? Jim Brown? Paul Brown? Kelly? The Dawg Pound? None of that is a part of this franchise. The fake Browns should never have come to be.

I will root for the Steelers. I will root for whoever plays this wretch of a team. I will root for misery for this team as if I was a rival. I do this because I am a Browns fan and I will never accept a lie as truth. At the end of the day, it was Cleveland who kicked their own team out of town and then cried about it. To be honest, there is more reason to feel connection to the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals than there is to support this lie.

As irrational as it is, I will give this team one last chance. I do not agree with you that this seasons team will be Sheet. I have said this 18 times before and have only been right maybe 1 1/2  maybe 2 times.  But yet here I am once again...  How we play against the Steeler's will tell me a lot. History is hard to overcome and 2 wins out of how the hell many is a hard statistic to bet against... In my gut I think we can win this game and we will.. My brain says "how can you think that, we've lost so many times before !!" .. 

The two of us are different in that I've only known the Browns as my team. Even when they were gone, I still wore my jersey and hat.. When they came back my kid was born that year.. I thought it was the beginning of something new and special....  But I NEVER would have considered being a Ravens fan or a Steeler's fan or even a Bengal's fan(God Forbid). That is like saying I am a Michigan fan and now since they suck I'm going with Ohio.. cowpoop.. They in my opinion are polar opposites. Like saying Chocolate and Vanilla are your favorites.. You don't get to choose both :):)   .. My opinion of course...

For me it is the Browns or nothing. I will choose not to watch the NFL if the Browns go down like punks again this year.

3 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

I wanted Model dead. I held that contempt in my heart till the day he died.... But when I heard about them keeping the name I had hope we could rekindle what we once had.

I sometimes wonder if the city had just let the name go with them and they would have been the Baltimore Browns.. I would have followed them(the same guys for Shmuck's sake) and I would have been rewarded with a Super Bowl....

Instead we kept the name and we have for 20 years nearly, been fed a non-stop diet of Sheet.. WHY THE HECK DID IT TAKE 19 YEARS to finally field a serious team like we potentially have going into this season.. And that is just speculation.. This team could suck just as bad as the last 18 years....

I agree with you.. This 2.0 version of the Browns likely should have never been.. They should have been the Cleveland Erie's or the Chinook's or anything other than the Browns.. The Browns should have either been put to rest or went with the Team to Baltimore.

My wife is a long time Raider's fan.. She has followed them to LA back to Oakland back to LA back to Oakland and now to Las Vegas.... Is it the CITY? or the TEAM???    I am now wondering if I made a huge mistake in supporting keeping the Browns name.... 

THIS IS IT. This season is truly it for me.. No more rebuilds, no more "Get em next season".. They drew me back in for this season, based on the seriousness they put into fielding this team.... But this is it.. If after 3 games and no wins if Hue's head isn't on a Shmucking metaphoric pike, then they have lost me as a fan for ever......

BobPound!

This is where me and Ghoolie go down different paths. I was one of the major protesters from the old AOL board (Ghoolie knows who they are). Our name, or team, our colors. First time it ever had been done. Tom may say it's just semantics, Gipper, me, the NFL, the official record keeper (the HOF) say otherwise. It is the same franchise. The records stayed in Cleveland- JIm Brown's Ottto Grahams records- everything stayed- except the players, owners, and equipment moved. There's a difference between a team and franchise. I'm done arguing with the uninformed folks that say the "real" Browns are in Baltimore- they never were, just some former Browns players and the owner. The naysayers can believe whatever the hell they want to regarding the Browns, or the Earth is flat for all I care.The Ravens are a new franchise, with their own records. Unlike the Colts- Irsay moved everything. Johnny Unitas' records now reside in Indianapolis. 

If it had turned out as the Baltimore Browns- I would have flipped the NFL the finger, and been done with the league forever. At least Ohio State isn't moving any time soon. 

3 hours ago, finger Mellon said:

I'm not so hung up on the whole name thing, but I do fully respect your perspective and Ghoolie's perspective as well.

The Steelers were a shítty team for 40 years, which makes the Browns recent shíttyness period seem so short.

I'm sorry for what happened and I know Colts fans who are still píssed-off at what went on and they don't consider the Ravens to be their team.

I'm glad that Cleveland kept the name and the colors and I'm still looking forward to the day that the team can live up to that name and when that day comes, all will be forgotten.

Nice to see a Steeler fan that "gets it". Unlike a bunch of them who think the history of the NFL started in 1970.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Nice to see a Steeler fan that "gets it". Unlike a bunch of them who think the history of the NFL started in 1970.  

That tired line resurrected again? LOL

As often as that line has been used by bitter jealous browns fans,  originating in the 70's when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls and  God's gift to football, the browns,  were not....I'm sure we've all heard by now that the NFL actually did start before 1970.  But thanks once again for reminding me in case I forgot.LOL

So what are you looking to achieve ...validation from Steeler fan declaring the browns were once champions before most of you were born,  or acknowledgement from Steeler fan that the Steelers were terrible before they were born?

Honestly, I don't think anyone gives a Shmuck to both.

2 minutes ago, StinkHole said:

As often as that line has been used by bitter jealous browns fans,  originating in the 70's when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls and  God's gift to football, the browns,  were not....I'm sure we've all heard by now that the NFL actually did start before 1970. Thanks once again  for making us aware.

So what are you looking to achieve ...validation from Steeler fan declaring the browns were once champions before most of you were born,  or acknowledgement from Steeler fan that the Steelers were terrible before they were born?

Nope, just a fact- from the Steeler POV it's we've been better than you have been- recently. Those Browns Championships count in the record book as much as your Super Bowls. 

17 hours ago, StinkHole said:

But the Patriots are front runners even ahead of the Steelers. I think Ghoolie is a fan of how good teams take care of business,  not necessarily a "fan" .

I may be wrong. Ghoolie would have to verify that.

That is NOT the way he comes off.  NO ONE faults anyone for "admiring"  the way a winning team goes about their business.  But when have you ever heard Glommie saying that about the Pats, or Packers, or other good teams?  

17 hours ago, StinkHole said:

There's something to be said about that.

From Pitts point of view, the browns are in Baltimore....the hate, the rivalry, "browns week",  went there.. 

Steeler fans regard the Ravens as turds painted purple.

OK, well, ignorance and stupidity have always been a major trait of the typical Steeler fan.  You have simply reinforced that fact.

14 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Stinks, you are mostly correct. When we actually had a rivalry, I "hated" the Steelers, twice a year. As I have said many times, I built my career calling on the bio-pharm and industrial base in a 90-mile radius around the burg. I played a lot of Ukrainian and Slovenian music all around the area.  Ukie Church in Carnegie, Webster all and Pitt, even played with the Duquesne Tamburitzans. Allegheny General, Montefiore, CMU and Institute, University of Pitt, PPG Allison park, on and on and on it went. Year of it. How the hell am I going to "hate" Pittsburgh people?

Only once in my life did I own and wear a football players name and Jersey. It was a really nice #12 TB replica Jersey. Greatest QB of my lifetime, bar none. Pulled for the Steelers in every playoff game the Browns weren't in. At the same time, I was relentless in irritating Steeler fans.

Am I a fan of the Steelers? Sure, yeah, absolutely. To some extent. I am not like you, the Steelers aren't my team, but a lot of my Browns memories are tied to this team. How do you hate that? I loved Myron Cope, and HE loved the Browns (got his start in Cleveland, helped Jim Brown write "Off My Chset") We shared players (Cowher, Bill Nelsen, etc.) and Christmas time crucial ball games.

I am a Browns fan, and always will be. However, I am not a jackoff about it. I appreciate great teams, players and heritage. Pittsburgh and its people have been so very good to me over the years. Again, how do I hate that?

At the end of the day, it isn't just you who considers the Ravens- Steelers to be the top AFC rivalry, it is everyone who watches it. If you want to know where the real Browns play? Just take in the environment at a Steelers-Ravens game. It is a continuation of the 70s' browns Steelers games.

I am here because of the heritage and my lifelong friendships. The fake/pretend/facade Browns? How can one be a fan of this? A team with no soul? A team created in a test tube.

Again, bottom line....this post explains why you don't like the Browns :  because they are losing.  And why you like the Steelers:  because they are winning. 

You have just given the perfect description of a FRAK Whore.  

6 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Awesome stuff there Ghoolie!

You played with the Duquesne Tammies??? No Sheet!....you have to be pretty damn good to play for that group!

Of course, for every whore, even a FRAK whore, there has to be a John.   We know what Ghoolie is, and for what he provides you, you just have to pay him a few compliments.  Nice bargain I guess. 

2 hours ago, StinkHole said:

As often as that line has been used by bitter jealous browns fans,  originating in the 70's when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls and  God's gift to football, the browns,  were not....I'm sure we've all heard by now that the NFL actually did start before 1970.  But thanks once again for reminding me in case I forgot.LOL

I mean, maybe you are NOT one of those Arsehole Steeler fans who gives us this shite about "the modern age of football began when they decided to call the championship game after a child's toy".  Good for you, if so.

No one denies history, in terms of when each team was good and when each team was bad. But,  you know my position on history:   ONLY the last title and the next title truly count.   Everything else is history, from the Akron Pros title in 1920 to the Pats win over the  Falcons.  And, re your  business about the Browns winning championships before we were born, well, in my case, not so fast my friend.  The Browns have won 3 titles since I was born.....and the Steelers?  other than ONE playoff appearance they made before I was born, (in 1947)  they did not make another playoff appearance until I was  an adult, like a sophomore or junior in college.   Just because you have lived a short miserable life does not mean that all of us have.

Just giving you the facts, and stating the history. So many important things have happened in history, that I don't measure things simply by my lifetime...it would be narrow minded to do so.  

17 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Didn't believe it until today but it looks like Bell isn't going to be out there. Frankly, I don't blame the guy at this point seeing what Todd Gurley got either.

We'll see what happens when he starts missing game checks. How many of us peons would pass up a tidy $855,000 a week? (incidentally more than Gordon's going to make all year) Is he willing to sit out the year, and throw away $14 million?  Here's the details...  

https://triblive.com/sports/columnists/markmadden/14046354-74/mark-madden-dont-blame-leveon-bell-blame-system

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Bob, you raise a good question, at least for this board, but you are not likely going to get objective answers. It is the TEAM, not the city, NEVER the city. Just like, it is THE PLAYER, not THE CITY. The Hoorts would have you believe that it is the fans, and the community that owns the team, but it isn't. Without Art Model much of what is now the NFL would never have been. Art Modell was more a part of the Browns than the city of Cleveland. Art spent the money, he did the work. The fans, media and politicians just show up to gorge at the party,

Stan, the guy who owns this board argued with me vehemently on this point. But, two years ago, as we sat in Vegas having drinks, he said to me, " You were right Tom, this team should have never been named the Browns".

To me, the biggest sin was committed by the fans who abandoned all decency and respect for what the Browns stood for, and cried like babies that the name had to stay in Cleveland. So, the fans in Cleveland got what they asked for. They deserve exactly what they got. Most fans who have been around for 30 years or more consider the Browns a joke, a facade, and see the Ravens as the real Browns, which, they are. There is not one torch that has been passed from any Browns player, coach, writer or executive of the past, to anyone on this new team. There is simply no historical connection.

Vegas Raiders? YEP................ the RAIDERS is the brand. Nobody gives a schidt if they are rooting for Oakland, LA or Timbuctoo....RAYDAHS...........

You say, why did it take until now? I think you are being unrealistic. This team is not going to fare much better than the ones that preceeded it. The things that keep the Browns from winning as not talent. The Browns have had plenty of talent since 1999. The problem is discipline, honor, pride.

DO you see? How can any player come to Cleveland and feel a sense of pride and honor? Honor to what? Jim Brown? Paul Brown? Kelly? The Dawg Pound? None of that is a part of this franchise. The fake Browns should never have come to be.

I will root for the Steelers. I will root for whoever plays this wretch of a team. I will root for misery for this team as if I was a rival. I do this because I am a Browns fan and I will never accept a lie as truth. At the end of the day, it was Cleveland who kicked their own team out of town and then cried about it. To be honest, there is more reason to feel connection to the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals than there is to support this lie.

You're not even good at trolling anymore. You can't even remember the dumb things you say. It doesn't fit your narrative today.

"The Browns are just so dumb they dont get any real playmakers, just dime a dozen linemen. That's why the will always lose." Of course I cleaned it up from your vulgarity.

"The Browns have had plenty of talent"

Which is it dummy?

maybe-footballs-just-not-your-game-i-kno

15 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

You're not even good at trolling anymore. You can't even remember the dumb things you say. It doesn't fit your narrative today.

"The Browns are just so dumb they dont get any real playmakers, just dime a dozen linemen. That's why the will always lose." Of course I cleaned it up from your vulgarity.

"The Browns have had plenty of talent"

Which is it dummy?

maybe-footballs-just-not-your-game-i-kno

H-U-C-K-L-E-B-E-R-R-Y

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Again, winning has absolutely nothing to do with my views. That's YOU GUYS" deal. It has never been mine. They can go 19 -0 and win the SB this year. I will be happy for YOU, and for my buddies, but it will have absolutely no impact on me. I don't believe the franchise has the right to be called the Browns. No dues were paid. They just moved in and pulled a scam. Phony Browns, Fake Browns. No character, no sense of history, No nothing.

FWIW, they have EVERY right to be called the Browns, legally the same franchise since 1946. Sorry if you still have trouble with that FACT. As far as dues, I believe All Lerner paid around $600 million to buy the franchise that was held in trust, when Traitor Art (mistakinly) thought a big fat relocation bribe was going to save him from going belly up. Or you think McDonald's just gives franchises away? When Ozzie retires after this season, the Rat Birds have zero connection to Cleveland. Get back to me when you find Jim Brown's records listed with the Ravens. They're the fake expansion franchise. 

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

.....and the Steelers?  other than ONE playoff appearance they made before I was born, (in 1947)  they did not make another playoff appearance until I was  an adult, like a sophomore or junior in college.   Just because you have lived a short miserable life does not mean that all of us have.

Ah and 1947 was a very good year. Produced some very fine wine (ers) like Gip and me.🤩

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/wine-topics/bordeaux-wine-buying-guide-tasting-notes-ratings/bordeaux-wine-detailed-vintage-summary-1945-today/

Its the start of a new season. We start off at home against our main , historic rival, the Steelers. Lets show the football world that the Browns are a team to deal with, and a win will open some eyes for concern in weeks to come. GO BROWNS !! The losing years are gone.

NFL dot com is reporting, "...it doesn't sound like Bell plans to report anytime soon," and that the Steelers players are now openly attacking Le'Veon Bell for not reporting.

So, now the Steelers are having a meltdown over it.

Since greed and stupidity go well together, please consider that Bell gets paid $855,000 per game, which he is giving up every week on his agents advice because if he reports to work then the Steelers will give him the ball too much, thus degrading his value by degrading him physically. 

Yeh, we all heard 1000 times that, "it's a business," but it's also football. Players in good mental health want the ball. Here is a player that is refusing to report because he does not want the ball.

Steelers starting Left Guard, Ramon Foster said,  “Here’s a guy who doesn’t give a damn, I guess, so we’ll treat it as such. I just hate it came to this. He’s making seven times what I made, twice as much as LT Villanueva is making, and we’re the guys who do it for him.”

“In this day and age with everyone being so selfish, I don’t think it registers. I will say he’s hurt himself, but stuff like that doesn’t register with certain people."

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

No, I didn't come along until 5 years later.  But the question was how many titles have the Browns won in my lifetime, and that is 3.  Yes, they won 5 before I was born, and 3 after. 

30 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Stomp your feet, cry, complain to your wife, do whatever the fauhk you want.......

Actually.....that appears to be precisely what you are doing about this.    Considering that you have NO support, factually, legally, and exactly -0- members agree with whatever your opinion is, it is you, my friend who is doing the Rumpelstilskin act.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Ghoolie's granddaughter, having been trained by her Opa.

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Wiat until his replacement runs rampant on the Browns and you are left scratching your balls trying to figure out why this happened. Bell is insignificant to the Steelers success. As the Steelers always do, they will have someone to step up and won't miss a step.

Gotta lil black and yellow jizz on your lip there...

9 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Larry, go back to jacking off, that's your expertise. The Browns were moved to Baltimore. THey were renamed the Browns. They DO HAVE EVERY LEGAL RIGHT TO BE CALLED WHATEVER THEY WANT..................... LEGALITY has nothing to do with it. This franchise is NOT connected to the Cleveland Browns in any way shape or form. Stomp your feet, cry, complain to your wife, do whatever the fauhk you want..................... THE CLEVELAND BROWNS DIED THE MOMENT THEY WERE RENAMED THE RAVENS.

The next thing you are going to tell me is that the Raiders are the Oakland Raiders no matter where they move. You are a fahking moron.

Except they weren't renamed the Ravens- your grasp of history is appalling. Keep up with your non-factual sh-it,and I'm going to start deleting it. Need a dozen or so warning points for trolling? We can arrange it. I'm letting Stan sit with me during the Steelers game, I will need a low down why he lets you post crap like this on a regular basis. I might even ask him for the price of a ticket- ban your sorry trolling butt for a month or two- maybe a year. 

You're only allowed to post here because you cried to Stan that big mean Zombo permanently banned you for posting crap like this. 

Archived