THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

58 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yeah and I want to own an oil well in Texas..................................oh wait...............................I do have a very small royalty from a very partially inherited producing well. It's such a small part I call it "itsy bitsy tiny titsy Little Reata oil well". 🤠

Hue's gonna win Baby!!🤣

• Upvote 1

The Pluto Cliff notes version:

Amari:   17. The trading deadline is Oct. 30 at 4 p.m. I expect the Browns to try hard to do something. While eyes are on big name receivers, perhaps the Browns have an eye on someone else. As one executive told me, Oakland's price for Cooper is "ridiculous," but a lot can change by Oct. 30. 

Dez (again)  7. Once in a while, you hear the old "Dez Bryant to the Browns" rumors coming back. I was told it's not going to happen. The Browns aren't the only team to decide Bryant is not worth bringing in once the season opened. Clearly, Bryant and his people have rubbed several NFL teams the wrong way. It's why he still is a free agent.

Josh:   Gordon is in a great spot with the Patriots, where he will have to do things the right way or he will be gone. That should keep his attention. 

BROWNS:   7. The downside on special teams began with Denzel Rice lining up in an illegal formation on the opening kickoff. Not sure I've seen that penalty on the first play of the game before. They also gave up a 32-yard punt return. Peppers fumbled a punt but recovered it. So it wasn't close to perfect, but there really was progress.

8. It's mind-numbing to keep writing Duke Johnson should get the ball more, especially in the passing game. But Duke Johnson SHOULD be targeted with more passes. He caught 4-of-5 balls last week, averaging 18.3 yards per reception.With the trade of Carlos Hyde to Jacksonville, that also set up Johnson to carry the ball more. 

Carry on Terry.

On 10/28/2018 at 3:13 PM, Westside Steve said:

On Hyde:  

Q: A fifth round pick? That's it?

A: I received an email from a fan who recalled when Joe Banner traded Trent Richardson to the Colts for a first-round pick . That was two games into the 2013 season. The Colts were desperate for running backs. They had Super Bowl aspirations. Richardson was only in his second pro season. Some NFL people still considered him a future star. That trade became one of the reasons the Colts eventually fired some of the people in their front office.

.......Q: I repeat, a fifth-round pick?

A: The Giants just traded Eli Apple (No. 10 pick in 2016) to New Orleans for picks in the fourth and seventh rounds. Running backs don't have big trade value -- the Richardson disaster impacted that thinking. Hyde was going to be gone after the season to make room for Chubb.

Q: Now the Browns don't have much depth at running back, right?

A: The Browns are approaching one of their goals, which is to be competitive in nearly every game this season and win some of them. But they are still building a team. ........

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

7. Mayfield is a rookie quarterback seeing something painfully new nearly every game. Mayfield didn't play in the opener, a 21-21 tie with the Steelers. Tyrod Taylor was the starter. Mayfield never has played so many games against so many quick, talented defenses. 

13. I know that scouts from the Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City were at this game. No doubt, there were others. A big part of their job is looking for weaknesses and tendencies in Mayfield. 

14. In 2016, Jared Goff was a rookie. He lost all seven of his starts. He looked completely overmatched. In 2017, he became a good quarterback. Now in his third season, the former No. 1 draft pick is an elite quarterback. Browns fans hate to hear this, but it takes time with rookie quarterbacks before you know what they can do in the NFL. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mjp....Like it or not BROWNS fans Mayfield is a rookie, two or three more wins would be......incredible. ;)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

mjp....Like it or not BROWNS fans Mayfield is a rookie, two or three more wins would be......incredible. ;)

Exactly.   And what changed from year 1 to year 2 in LA???    They got rid of the coach who was leading the team and leading Goff straight into all time bust category and found a smart, young coach who has gotten not only the very best out of Goff, but would certainly seemed like improved him as well.   That's why all the doom and gloom of "now we have to rebuild" and "now we have to start all over" is a bunch of crap.  There is talent on this team.  Not enough yet by far...but there is talent and it will be up to Dorsey to find more in the next draft and FA and up to whoever the new coach is to get the best out of the talent that he will be inheriting. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mark O said:

That's why all the doom and gloom of "now we have to rebuild" and "now we have to start all over" is a bunch of crap.  There is talent on this team.  Not enough yet by far...but there is talent and it will be up to Dorsey to find more in the next draft and FA and up to whoever the new coach is to get the best out of the talent that he will be inheriting. 

I think this is a key point...

For the first time in a very long time we have enough talent to define a potential team identity. Now we need coaches to develop that identity thru the players we have and add.

I think we have one in Williams. Even should he prove to not be our 2019 HC choice, I would hope he can see his way to continue as our DC.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

For the first time in a very long time we have enough talent to define a potential team identity. Now we need coaches to develop that identity thru the players we have and add.

I think we have one in Williams. Even should he prove to not be our 2019 HC choice, I would hope he can see his way to continue as our DC.

Its my hope that they asked him to take on the interim HC job the rest of the way and then stay on as DC/asst. HC with whoever the new HC of the team turns out to be.    I really like the Rams model and having the HC who focuses on the offense and the young QB and stays out of the way of the veteran DC and lets him do his thing.   There's no reason to think it couldn't work here if the right coaches were hired.  

Just now, Tour2ma said:

There is a difference between building and the "fire sale" rebuilding. Hopefully they are continuing to build!

OK let's get out the Terry meat cleaver and cut right to the bone on the ham on recent happenings, there's a big pile this week!

3. It also was clear Haley had little respect for Jackson. And it was clear the offense was regressing. And it was clear rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield was being caught in the ridiculous position of having to answer questions about the split between Haley and Jackson. And the front office couldn’t stand to watch it any more.

9. The Browns believe Kitchens will put more accent on the running game, especially spreading around the opportunities. Haley liked to run the ball, but he preferred a one-back system. The Browns want Nick Chubb and Duke Johnson to be more active in the offense. Kitchens was the team’s running backs coach, so he should have a good idea how to use the backs.

11. The new coaching staff is charged with ways for Mayfield to get rid of the ball faster, avoiding all the sacks and quarterback hits. Mayfield has been sacked 20 times, ranking No. 11 in the NFL. But he’s only played 5-1/2 games. The Browns have played eight.

Jackson was put in a very tough spot. But the 3-36-1 record…2-10-1 in games decided by three or fewer points…is impossible to explain away, regardless of how many fingers he points in different directions.

In other interviews, Jackson has denied his reputation of “throwing others under the bus,” but he is known for doing just that. Haley was the latest. Last year, it was former VP Sashi Brown. He hired and fired 18 assistant coaches in his 2-1/2 years with the Browns.

Hmmmm, I could go for a nice big BROWNS' ham sandwich with swiss on Jewish rye with a good mustard, mayo some dill pickles Sunday afternoon. 

Never a bad time for a good hearty sandwich during a BROWNS game. :D

Keep on cutting out the extra fat Terry. 

Pluto appears to miss a coaching fact that Gregg Williams & Referee Randy will accept the 15 yard "Piling on Hue" Penalty https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/10/20/18003148/cleveland-browns-myles-garrett-stands-up-for-teammates  Surely Hue can blame Garrett...

Sunday GAMEDAY......

7. Patience. That’s the word for Browns fans heading into this game. The Chiefs are 7-1. They are averaging an NFL-best 36 points per game. Patrick Mahomes is an emerging superstar. Andy Reid is an elite coach. The roster is a powerhouse, most of the players obtained during the four years John Dorsey was general manager.

10. Let’s see if the Browns run the ball more under Kitchens. That’s supposed to be today’s plan. And let’s see if they throw more quick, short passes. That’s a way to keep the pressure off Baker Mayfield.

11. The Chiefs are the NFL’s worst defense against the run — allowing 5.4 yards per carry. It’s their one area of weakness. So run the ball. Keep their offense off the field. Kitchens was the Browns' running backs coach. He should know the plays that will work best today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep it close in the 4th, might be the surprise of the day. ;)  GO BROWNS! Shake up the NFL this week...... or at least don't get blown out.

Just now, Westside Steve said:

....... FOX NEWS......Weeks after Justice Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation -- and the sexual assault allegations against him -- captured the country's attention, the Senate Judiciary Committee has released a massive report on those accusations that's largely flown under the radar in the run-up to the midterms........

WHAT, Terry is that you?:o

15 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

a pinecone in the butt sounds painful...but whatever blows your skirt up.

Seriously...great article and that's exactly what we were all saying during the game.  Why weren't these plays being called in the first 9 games of the season. 

Terry on the KC game beginning, middle, end.

1. Several hours after the game and thinking about how the Browns offense played, I became a little angry. I watched the changes Freddie Kitchens made in a week and wondered why this didn’t happen sooner. Kitchens was the Browns running backs coach. The only time he had called plays in the pros was the fourth exhibition game of this season.

15. The team’s record is 2-6-1. There are very few wins left on the schedule. So a big part of what interim head coach Gregg Williams should be doing is preparing players for next season. That’s why I’m dwelling on the offense with Mayfield, Johnson, Chubb and Landry. They are part of the future.

20. I not scribbling about the defense. They are missing many major players because of injuries. Kansas City has the best offense in the league. You knew it could be a dismal day trying to stop the Chiefs — and that’s what happened. The real story for the Browns was the changes on offense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read this as wins might be hard to come by in 2018, maybe 1 or 2? The easier close games have already slipped away. GO BROWNS!

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh, I can't resist this one Steve. FIFY.😂

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I certainly won't disagree. We'll be watching, won't we Gip?

Mike

4 penalties only.. Someone finally turned the "cRAP" off the damn loudspeakers....

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well, they made up for reducing the penalties by not covering people and then not tackling them.

Some tradeoff.

Well yeah... there is that!

Arians would need to hire a strong coordinator. His expertise is offense.

Would he keep Greg Williams as defensive coordinator?

I’d like to see that. For once, the Browns would have some continuity.

Even greater continuity?

Keep Williams as HC and hire Arians as OC.