THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Even greater continuity?

Keep Williams as HC and hire Arians as OC.

I like Greg Williams quite a bit but I question the lack of run defense which has a tendency to tire out the entire defensive team by the end of the game. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to the stats but it seems like we've got less than our share of three-and-outs defensively.

WSS

.......  Arians is taking this season off. He has told the Canton Repository and ESPN the Browns job is the one opening worth his consideration.

If Arians is heathly, rested and looking for one last challenge — he must be considered a serious candidate.

Last time someone called plays for the Browns when they made the playoffs, that man’s name was Bruce Arians.

The season was 2002.

He left the Browns after the 2003 season.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just how do you read or take this?  I'm 66 and as good as I ever was -or- I'll give it one last shot (and hope I don't get run over on the sidelines).

The man? Temporary patch? Advisor? Hmmmmm.

20. PREDICTION: FALCONS 31, BROWNS 18. My record this season is 4-4-1 guessing results of Browns games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ooooops, goes to show how hard it is to predict what a very young team will do, how they will respond to changes in the NFL.

AND the bye week, bad timing or what?

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Bad??? What's bad about sleeping with a win for two weeks?

If I'm hot I want to play not sit. You can get rusty after a bye even a Thursday game.

Besides what are we die hards gonna do Sunday?  :unsure:

On 11/13/2018 at 7:57 PM, The Gipper said:

Watch the ravens and Bengals and the root for  the meat wagon

I'd settle for a big outbreak of measles or maybe the crabs. :lol:

8 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'd settle for a big outbreak of measles or maybe the crabs. :lol:

You could offer the boys from the Queen City  some Gay Therapy.   I hear that Zombo is a Certified Counselor in that area. 

And you can send the guys from Baltimore to Charm School.  (seeing that Baltimore is called "Charm City".....why? I have no clue. It really isn't all that charming, not really.  My nephew lives there.

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I might have to pick this book up. 

EDITOR’S NOTE: In his new book “The Browns Blues,” Terry Pluto analyzes what went wrong for the Cleveland Browns as they compiled the worst record in the NFL over the past two decades. It’s an in-depth look at upheaval in the front office, frustration on the field and heartache in the stands. This excerpt is the third in a series of five.

Bill Cowher.

That’s who Lerner wanted to hire as coach........

It does sound interesting plus Terry is a good writer. And then there's Cowher's tie ins with the BROWNS both as a player and coach, who knows what might have been?

Tackle data unavailable prior to 2001

CAREER STATSMORE
Season Team   Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
  G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
1984 Philadelphia Eagles 4 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

1983 Philadelphia Eagles 16 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

1982 Cleveland Browns 9 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

1980 Cleveland Browns 16 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

TOTAL 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 -- 0 0

Year Age Level Employer Role
1985 28 NFL Cleveland Browns Special Teams
1986 29 NFL Cleveland Browns Special Teams
1987 30 NFL Cleveland Browns Secondary
1988 31 NFL Cleveland Browns Secondary
1989 32 NFL Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Coordinator
1990 33 NFL Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Coordinator
1991 34 NFL Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Coordinator
1992 35 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach  until the year 2006....we all remember that.

10 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Frankly I'd like to see the Browns go 4 + 2 or even 5 + 1 at keep Greg Williams. Even three and three should be a consideration. NFL experience , a Mean Streak and has probably learned his lesson in New Orleans.

WSS

I'd be over the moon for 3-3 and retaining our coaching staff. That'd be quite a bit of momentum heading into 2019, AND our QB wouldn't have to learn a new system, which is huge. Our franchise is at a virtually unknown point, in that we can actually start to build AROUND a QB, instead of searching for one. Let THAT sink in. 

And like I've said before....I actually LIKE Gregg Williams. He comes across as sincere, and that carries a lot of weight with fans, media, and most importantly....players. When I think of "Cleveland Browns Coaches", I have a vision of tough, no-nonsense type people. Gregg fits that. 

All that being said, even going 3-3 is a difficult proposition. We don't play a team like the Giants or Cardinals. We have 6 very tough games, and I think all 6 are firmly entrenched in the playoff race. Not only that, we have 3 division games remaining, AND 4 of the 6 games are on the road. Our road woes are well documented, but we've got to overcome them if we're going to have any semblance of success in the last part of the season. 

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Frankly I'd like to see the Browns go 4 + 2 or even 5 + 1 at keep Greg Williams. Even three and three should be a consideration. NFL experience , a Mean Streak and has probably learned his lesson in New Orleans.

WSS

Somehow realisticallly I think 2-4 would be all that could be expected, 3-3 would be.......incredible.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:52 PM, mjp28 said:

If I'm hot I want to play not sit. You can get rusty after a bye even a Thursday game.

Besides what are we die hards gonna do Sunday?  :unsure:

They went ten weeks without a break plus OT games. Not many teams play 10 in a row anymore and with new coaches, the break could be a very good thing. I know what you mean about riding hot. This is a different situation tho and the break could mean big things the rest of the way. 

On 11/19/2018 at 6:43 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

They went ten weeks without a break plus OT games. Not many teams play 10 in a row anymore and with new coaches, the break could be a very good thing. I know what you mean about riding hot. This is a different situation tho and the break could mean big things the rest of the way. 

For a young team I would prefer an earlier BYE to get everyone on the same page maybe around week 6 or 7.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I think there should be 2 byes for  each team.   

I think there were two briefly, it was a mess schedule wise......should look that up but I'm too lazy right now.

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I think there were two briefly, it was a mess schedule wise......should look that up but I'm too lazy right now.

OK I did.....

........The NFL added the bye week in 1990[5] so as to extend the 16-game regular season schedule to span 17 weeks to increase the number of viewable games for TV contracts. The 1993 NFL season spanned 18 weeks with each team having 2 bye weeks. In the rare case of a game postponement that cannot be made up within the week,[6] a bye week may act as an available date to reschedule the delayed game, with the day of postponement acting as the new "bye week"; although both teams would have to be available on the same bye week; this was done during the 2008 NFL season when the Baltimore Ravensand the Houston Texans had to reschedule their Week 2 matchup in Houston due to Hurricane Ike, which also impacted the Cincinnati Bengals' schedule.[7] Similarly, the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were given a Week 1 bye week due to Hurricane Irma in the 2017 season..........

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Orion said:

I should think that the extra tv money from two bye weeks and extra season time would be lucrative.

As I remember there was grumbling about it I'm not sure if it was NFLPA or what but it went away quick.

I think one bye might be good for the players and team -but- it sure can screw with your FL.  <_<

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

As I remember there was grumbling about it I'm not sure if it was NFLPA or what but it went away quick.

I think one bye might be good for the players and team -but- it sure can screw with your FL.  <_<

That was what was so ironic with my high score this past week. I had 5 WRs/RBs in bye weeks and had no choice but to play Barkley (NYJ), Lindsey (DEN), Hopkins (Hou), R.Smith (NO) and Hill (KC). Brees at home was a no brainer over Ryan (ATL).