THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

On 12/3/2018 at 12:23 PM, mjp28 said:

Even Rodgers and the GB Pack have been having a tough year. GB & CLE both 4-7-1.

Parity is here, just about anybody can lose any week,

Upsets abounded. Losers- Rams, Texans, Patriots, Steelers, Broncos.

& Next gen stats said New England had a 99.9% chance of winning that game with seven seconds left.

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Upsets abounded. Losers- Rams, Texans, Patriots, Steelers, Broncos.

& Next gen stats said New England had a 99.9% chance of winning that game with seven seconds left.

Or a 00.1% chance of losing......sure makes sports fun.

48 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We are learning "how to win."

You can't go back and change history, but put Williams & Kitchens in charge from the get-go. Add a better kicker, and the Browns just might be 9-4, and the talk of being the biggest turnaround in recent memory. Dorsey repeats his act in 2019, Baker doesn't suffer the sophomore slump, and the Browns should be in the discussion for a playoff berth...  

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You can't go back and change history, but put Williams & Kitchens in charge from the get-go. Add a better kicker, and the Browns just might be 9-4, and the talk of being the biggest turnaround in recent memory. Dorsey repeats his act in 2019, Baker doesn't suffer the sophomore slump, and the Browns should be in the discussion for a playoff berth...  

Possibly. But it's a roll of the dice to say we win a couple more games with a better Kicker but let's say we do.. Mayfield never sees the field and Freddy never steps up to OC. Hue was 100% up Taylor's ass. Haley probably doesn't get fired and Carlos Hyde remains the featured back

Lots of variables.

WSS

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Possibly. But it's a roll of the dice to say we win a couple more games with a better Kicker but let's say we do.. Mayfield never sees the field and Freddy never steps up to OC. Hue was 100% up Taylor's ass. Haley probably doesn't get fired and Carlos Hyde remains the featured back

Lots of variables.

WSS

Ahhhhhhhhhh...stop with the nightmares!!!!

• Haha 1

From Terry P. .....the little things......

5. Playing in the cold weather? “Not that hard,” insisted Mayfield. Probably that’s the best way to approach it. If the Browns grow into a playoff team, there will be plenty of games played in what can feel like an ice box on the shores of Lake Erie. Mayfield’s arm strength seems to help the ball cut through the wind.

10. Chubb is on his way to a 1,000-yard rushing season. He is at 740 yards, a 5.3-yard average. He has eight rushing TDs. As a team, the Browns had just 11 rushing TDs last season.

15. A final note on Mayfield and the offensive line: In Mayfield’s first six games, he was sacked 20 times. In his last five (since the coaching change), he has been sacked three times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~▪

Wow, right before our eyes, the last three games of the 2018 season should be "interesting".

GO BROWNS, anyone remember "Hard Knocks" , has been an interesting camp, preseason, early season......and now. :)

I have to agree with Pluto here.   I think as it stands right now my preference would be keeping what we have now with Williams as HC and Kitchens as OC and play caller.   Listened to the Bruce Arians interview today and he still says he'd love the Browns job and wouldn't call plays so that would mean to me that if he were to come here, Kitchens stays in place under Arians which is fine as well.   Mostly to me, I don't want to see the offense messed with.  There's been a noticeable difference with Bakers play with Kitchens calling the plays.  I'm not the biggest Williams fan in the world but hard to argue with the change for the better he's brought to the team since we let Huey and Toad walk the plank.

3 hours ago, Mark O said:

I have to agree with Pluto here.   I think as it stands right now my preference would be keeping what we have now with Williams as HC and Kitchens as OC and play caller.   Listened to the Bruce Arians interview today and he still says he'd love the Browns job and wouldn't call plays so that would mean to me that if he were to come here, Kitchens stays in place under Arians which is fine as well.   Mostly to me, I don't want to see the offense messed with.  There's been a noticeable difference with Bakers play with Kitchens calling the plays.  I'm not the biggest Williams fan in the world but hard to argue with the change for the better he's brought to the team since we let Huey and Toad walk the plank.

I can't remember who was interviewed yesterday evening on 92.3, but they brought up the fact that while Kitchens was a coach under Arians he was moved from QB coach to RBs coach for someone else (Byron Leftwich?), and apparently Kitchens wasn't very happy about this at all. 

Almost sounds like perhaps Arians and Kitchens wouldn't be a perfect match, after all? 

From Terry......

This is the NFL. Three games are left in the season. A lot can change.

So this is not a plea for the Browns to immediately hire Williams for 2019.

But it is to consider the fact that Williams comes across as an experienced head coach who has brought order and a sense of purpose to a team desperately in need of those things. ........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~▪

Yes this is the "what have you done for me lately" NFL -but- Williams is building a decent book and just who might be a better choice? A college coach from OKL? 

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes this is the "what have you done for me lately" NFL -but- Williams is building a decent book and just who might be a better choice? A college coach from OKL? 

Please not the coach from a very weak Big XII compared to times past. He knows nothing about running an NFL level defense. They hardly know anything about running a college level defense.

But right now, I feel better about these coaches than trying an untested coordinator who has never sat in the seat of a head coach before.

We could do a lot worse than Williams.

One other quote caught my eye...

It’s also obvious the players are in a good place with him.

As close as Dorsey seems to be to his players, I have to believe how "good" the feedback he is getting on Gregg will go far in determining Gregg's chances of staying. It's not unusual for GM's to seek feedback from key players, but Dorsey strikes me as one who would lean even more on this input.

Not that I see a LBJ situation developing with a single player having total control over who coaches, obviously foremost of the Browns players is Baker. After Baker's critique of Hue's "genuineness" a lot will depend on his specific feedback to Dorsey. Hard for me to imagine it being anything, but positive at this point.

What I am unsure of is who on the D would be John's primary source. Myles is "the star", but doesn't seem to be the guy to give unvarnished feedback. Same for Schobert... Collins could be out the door, so scratch him. Randall may be the best bet especially given his relationship with Dorsey's ex-Packer sidekicks.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

We could do a lot worse than Williams.

One other quote caught my eye...

As close as Dorsey seems to be to his players, I have to believe how "good" the feedback he is getting on Gregg will go far in determining Gregg's chances of staying. It's not unusual for GM's to seek feedback from key players, but Dorsey strikes me as one who would lean even more on this input.

Not that I see a LBJ situation developing with a single player having total control over who coaches, obviously foremost of the Browns players is Baker. After Baker's critique of Hue's "genuineness" a lot will depend on his specific feedback to Dorsey. Hard for me to imagine it being anything, but positive at this point.

What I am unsure of is who on the D would be John's primary source. Myles is "the star", but doesn't seem to be the guy to give unvarnished feedback. Same for Schobert... Collins could be out the door, so scratch him. Randall may be the best bet especially given his relationship with Dorsey's ex-Packer sidekicks.

I agree Schobert and Myles are just too young and inexperienced to be sources of major feedback other than what other players are telling them. Randall seems to be in the best position to provide both experience and player feedback.

From Terry.....

Rookies Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen have combined to start 31 games.

Those three have combined for only 16 red zone TD passes...the same as Mayfield.

That’s why it’s been so exciting to watch Mayfield – he has a way of moving his team across the goal line. He’s doing it like a veteran quarterback......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Stunning stat, of the class of 2018 Mayfield has vaulted to the front with his "oh wow" factor, should be the AFC offensive rookie of the year hands down.  Best quarterback class since the class of 1983 some 35 years ago?  Might be, time will tell.

13 hours ago, mjp28 said:

From Terry.....

Rookies Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen have combined to start 31 games.

Those three have combined for only 16 red zone TD passes...the same as Mayfield.

That’s why it’s been so exciting to watch Mayfield – he has a way of moving his team across the goal line. He’s doing it like a veteran quarterback......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Stunning stat, of the class of 2018 Mayfield has vaulted to the front with his "oh wow" factor, should be the AFC offensive rookie of the year hands down.  Best quarterback class since the class of 1983 some 35 years ago?  Might be, time will tell.

Or, 2004.  Three possible HOFers from there:  Eli/BR/Rivers.   1983 had the same number of HOFers...Kelly, Elway/Marino.   1983 had another pretty good QB:  Ken O'Brien.....and another that did take his team to a Super Bowl:  Eason.   Todd Blackledge was the bust of that group. 

The  years in which 4 or more QBs were taken in the first round:

2018:  Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson

2012: Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden

2011: Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder

2004:  Eli, Rivers, Ben R.  JP Losman

2003: Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman

1999:  Couch, Akili Smith, McNabb, Culpepper, McNown

1987: Testaverde, Stouffer, Miller, Jim Harbaugh

1983:  Elway, Blackledge, Kelly, Eason, O/Brien, Marino........only  the second year in which 2 HOF QB drafted in round one.

HOF in Bold.  2004  could have 2-3 HOF...

The ONLY other year in which 2 HOF QBs were taken in round one of the same draft  was 1948....Bobby Layne and Y.A. Tittle.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Great Stuff Steve. 😇

Thanks for keeping up with TP and posting it here for all of us.👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

"But the Ravens special teams are the difference." 

The one area of this team that is not anywhere what it should be with the athletes we have on this team.