THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

https://www.cleveland.com//browns/2019/01/if-the-cleveland-browns-dont-hire-gregg-williams-should-the-cincinnati-bengals-terry-pluto.html

Another story today. Tell me how badly that would suck! Especially when our new head coach goes 2 + 6

Of course Cincinnati has a broken-down jalopy of a team compared to the bright shiny new Browns

WSS

This you do not see very often in the press or in the media:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- I’ll start with a confession:

My dumbest story of the year was suggesting the Browns NOT fire Hue Jackson after the team lost 33-18 in Pittsburgh on October 28.

The story was not written out of any admiration for Jackson.

My main point was a bias against interim coaches........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Good for Pluto coming right out with that.

Now is Williams a slam dunk no-brainer -or- does someone else have or should have a legitimate shot at the job?

57 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I like it that Dorsey uses his eyes, ears and gut instinct on players. He’s earned his stripes. Time to use em. He’s no five year plan guy either. He’s planning on winning the division 2019.  

All the more reason not to restructure winning combination and start over.

WSS

From Terry:

8. While Williams has said he’s open to staying on the job, I’m not sure it’s a good idea. It would be hard for him to take a step back after his 5-3 record and strong showing as a head coach. Caldwell would be a relatively safe pick for the Browns, but I sense the Browns want more than “safe.”.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Wow, known "safe" commodity versus going outside for maybe a better long term fix. Tough decision.

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

From Terry:

8. While Williams has said he’s open to staying on the job, I’m not sure it’s a good idea. It would be hard for him to take a step back after his 5-3 record and strong showing as a head coach. Caldwell would be a relatively safe pick for the Browns, but I sense the Browns want more than “safe.”.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Wow, known "safe" commodity versus going outside for maybe a better long term fix. Tough decision.

Not really. You have a guy that wins and the players respond to. You can afford to look hard with those aces on your hand

3 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Not really. You have a guy that wins and the players respond to. You can afford to look hard with those aces on your hand

It does give you the ability to look at anybody and everybody if you have a guaranteed fall back position.

Feels like draft time again with all of the rumours and posturing.

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

It does give you the ability to look at anybody and everybody if you have a guaranteed fall back position.

Feels like draft time again with all of the rumours and posturing.

but were not good at long dragged out things on this board 🤓..watch when the 1st good defensive coach goes or Zona calls Freddie back to HC?..Am taking that week off 🏝️ book it  

• Haha 1

13. Williams and Kitchens were thrown together after the firings of Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley. In fact, Kitchens was hired by Haley. He was close to Haley. He didn’t know Williams very well. The fact the two men worked well together played a big part in Kitchens emerging as the head coach for 2019.

Seems to be conflicting reports on “whose guy” Kitchens was. Too many chefs in Kitchens’ grill.

.....6. The state of kicking in the NFL is shaky, especially since the move from about 20 yards to 33 yards for extra points. Joseph had a decent rookie year. But he doesn’t inspire much confidence in me. I was spoiled by Phil Dawson. By the way, Dawson will be 44 on Jan. 23. He was only 5-of-8 on field goals last year before being cut by Arizona. The Browns need to find the next Phil Dawson.......

Strange how currently this is such a problem in the NFL with all of the NCAA players out there at all levels.

51 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

.....6. The state of kicking in the NFL is shaky, especially since the move from about 20 yards to 33 yards for extra points. Joseph had a decent rookie year. But he doesn’t inspire much confidence in me. I was spoiled by Phil Dawson. By the way, Dawson will be 44 on Jan. 23. He was only 5-of-8 on field goals last year before being cut by Arizona. The Browns need to find the next Phil Dawson.......

Strange how currently this is such a problem in the NFL with all of the NCAA players out there at all levels.

Seems simple tho. They just don’t want to pay kickers. Other than winning or losing ballgames, they have little value. Go figure

2. None of this happens unless General Manager John Dorsey and his front office select Mayfield with the No. 1 pick. Suppose they had taken my guy (Josh Rosen). Or they had taken the favorite of the draft experts (Sam Darnold). Or maybe picked Saquon Barkley, the running back from Penn State.

3. Barkley is a star with the New York Giants, but Pat Shurmur’s team won only five games with veteran Eli Manning at QB. Rosen had a miserable rookie year with the Arizona Cardinals. Darnold had a few nice moments, but he has a long way to go before being considered a viable long-term NFL starting quarterback.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Oh how Dorsey and Mayfield helped prove a LOT of people wrong (me included). Can't wait for the 2019 draft and offseason moves....I can't believe I'm actually saying that.  :blink:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

2. None of this happens unless General Manager John Dorsey and his front office select Mayfield with the No. 1 pick. Suppose they had taken my guy (Josh Rosen). Or they had taken the favorite of the draft experts (Sam Darnold). Or maybe picked Saquon Barkley, the running back from Penn State.

3. Barkley is a star with the New York Giants, but Pat Shurmur’s team won only five games with veteran Eli Manning at QB. Rosen had a miserable rookie year with the Arizona Cardinals. Darnold had a few nice moments, but he has a long way to go before being considered a viable long-term NFL starting quarterback.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Oh how Dorsey and Mayfield helped prove a LOT of people wrong (me included). Can't wait for the 2019 draft and offseason moves....I can't believe I'm actually saying that.  :blink:

This is the very first off season that I have looked forward to the next season with genuine optimism since the late 80s. 

On 1/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

This is the very first off season that I have looked forward to the next season with genuine optimism since the late 80s. 

Now with just the SB LIII and the exhibition game formerly known as the Pro Bowl left I imagine many of us feel the same way.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Now with just the SB LIII and the exhibition game formerly known as the Pro Bowl left I imagine many of us feel the same way.

WHAT super bowl? You mean the Ref Bowl?

I'll be tying flies on Ref Bowl Sunday in preparation for this coming fishing season.

Mike

• Upvote 1

This is something Browns fans have missed: A chance to sit and shiver through bone-chilling winter weather and watch their favorite team in the playoffs.

Even if it means have yet another rotten Browns postseason memory.

For the record, the Browns lost: 36-33. ........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Ahhhh yes cold weather memories, we look forward to more.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

This is something Browns fans have missed: A chance to sit and shiver through bone-chilling winter weather and watch their favorite team in the playoffs.

Even if it means have yet another rotten Browns postseason memory.

For the record, the Browns lost: 36-33. ........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Ahhhh yes cold weather memories, we look forward to more.

My cold weather memory was November 27th my birthday I forget what year Cleveland Browns vs Los Angeles with Pat Haden after Joe Namath had been benched. Starting for the Browns was dr. Dave Mays oh, doctor bomb. Browns lost 9 zip and it was colder than Hillary's heart.

Edit 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197711270cle.htm

WSS