THE BROWNS BOARD

Please Not McDaniels

beare

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport named Patriots OC Josh McDaniels as a potential candidate for the Browns' head-coaching vacancy.

McDaniels is one of several candidates the Browns are considering. Per Rapoport, the Browns could also pursue Baker Mayfield's college coach Lincoln Riley (Rapsheet believes Riley will draw interest from multiple teams) as well as current Packers coach Mike McCarthy and Vikings OC John DeFilippo, who once served as Cleveland's offensive coordinator. Despite leaving Indianapolis at the altar last offseason, McDaniels is reportedly "open to head-coaching opportunities." Until the Browns find a permanent solution, coaching responsibilities will fall in the hands of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I would not want a college coach at all with the lone exception of giving Saban a 2nd chance with a far better group of players that he had last time.

I don't see that happening.  He's too old and I just wouldn't trust him to stick with it.    He starts getting questioned here after a few losses and he's gonna go right back to college where he can be king. 

I truly don't know why any top college coach would leave.  Lincoln Riley can basically coach at Oklahoma for the rest of his life and never have to worry about being fired.  

Since his Cleveland staff has Bill produced a successful HC? Other than O'Brien, who seems to have righted himself in HOU, I can't think of one. The problem is not their command of "X's and O's"... it's their leadership style or lack of one.

The above plus Josh's dismal showing in Denver DQ him in my book.

How is there even a list of "potentials"? Remember "there is a lot of Football to be played this season" ? They are not going to focus on that til after this season...……..Besides the NFL network sucks butt. Most sports shows do suck butt, all they do is talk Sheet on us anyhow so I don't give 2 shits of who they think it will be or should be. I hope it is Greg (our DC)

What is the preference ...

Defensive HC with a young up and coming OC and keep/replace Williams

Offensive HC and keep Williams

Offensive HC and replace Williams

12 minutes ago, darren15 said:

What is the preference ...

Defensive HC with a young up and coming OC and keep/replace Williams

Offensive HC and keep Williams

Offensive HC and replace Williams

My initial preference is to go with a young offensive HC and keep Williams to run the defense.

5 minutes ago, Mark O said:

My initial preference is to go with a young offensive HC and keep Williams to run the defense.

Agree... that said...

If GB is stupid enough to dismiss McCarthy, then I'm stupid enough to ignore my anti-retread bias. At 55 (in six days) McCarthy is still young-ish HC.

15 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

edit:  Along the way while in Denver he went 5-0 only to promptly dismantle a good offense with Culter, Marshall and Royal.     Naaaah. 

??? Josh was not the GM... was he???

(Checked and he was not... plus Cutler never played QB for Josh.)

49 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Since his Cleveland staff has Bill produced a successful HC? Other than O'Brien, who seems to have righted himself in HOU, I can't think of one. The problem is not their command of "X's and O's"... it's their leadership style or lack of one.

The above plus Josh's dismal showing in Denver DQ him in my book.

I'm not saying McDaniels should be a candidate... but was his coaching bad in Denver or was it the fact that he was given way too much power and GM Josh McDaniels railroaded HC Josh McDaniels? 

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... that said...

If GB is stupid enough to dismiss McCarthy, then I'm stupid enough to ignore my anti-retread bias. At 55 (in six days) McCarthy is still young-ish HC.

??? Josh was not the GM... was he???

(Checked and he was not... plus Cutler never played QB for Josh.)

Josh was not GM, but he directly had a hand in dismantling that team in favor of his own guy that first off-season.  Which lead to Cutler demanding a trade because apparently McDaniels is the one pooper more insufferable than Jay Shmucking Cutler.                            That guy McD wanted ended up being Tebow, by the way.  

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Josh was not GM, but he directly had a hand in dismantling that team in favor of his own guy that first off-season.  Which lead to Cutler demanding a trade because apparently McDaniels is the one pooper more insufferable than Jay Shmucking Cutler.                            That guy McD wanted ended up being Tebow, by the way.  

I’m sure a lot of this fan base probably wanted Tebow at one point, too

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Since his Cleveland staff has Bill produced a successful HC? Other than O'Brien, who seems to have righted himself in HOU, I can't think of one. The problem is not their command of "X's and O's"... 

would Jim Schwartz DC at Eagles qualify? Was Schwartz not with Bill at Cleveland? i've read Jim maybe a fix in TB to build a defense.. Would not surprise me if Gregg takes a interview there also..

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I never claimed the bulk of this fan base was intelligent.   Remember we had a great deal of people cheer for Manziel when picked.  

We just needed a QB so bad for so long our fan base would’ve cheered for any guy picked and Manziel appeared to be the most talented at the time.

This year, I figured it to be Darnold and I liked Josh Rosen’s arm a lot. That being said, I trusted Dorsey with Mayfield and especially after Kirk Herbstreit predicted the Browns would take Mayfield.

All of the QB prospects seemed to have a high ceiling this year, each in their own way.

1 hour ago, beare said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport named Patriots OC Josh McDaniels as a potential candidate for the Browns' head-coaching vacancy.

McDaniels is one of several candidates the Browns are considering. Per Rapoport, the Browns could also pursue Baker Mayfield's college coach Lincoln Riley (Rapsheet believes Riley will draw interest from multiple teams) as well as current Packers coach Mike McCarthy and Vikings OC John DeFilippo, who once served as Cleveland's offensive coordinator. Despite leaving Indianapolis at the altar last offseason, McDaniels is reportedly "open to head-coaching opportunities." Until the Browns find a permanent solution, coaching responsibilities will fall in the hands of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Nah- after his antics screwing Indy- What's the public service announcement with the Pirate and the parrot?  "AWK- He can't be trusted".  

31 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

would Jim Schwartz DC at Eagles qualify? Was Schwartz not with Bill at Cleveland? i've read Jim maybe a fix in TB to build a defense.. Would not surprise me if Gregg takes a interview there also..

When I said, "Since his Cleveland staff...", the exception I had in mind was Saban. While there are others, Schwartz would not be among them. The Lions won just over a third of their games with Jim as their HC.

39 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

That guy McD wanted ended up being Tebow, by the way. 

I'd forgotten that.

Still... of all the reasons to be anti-Josh, having a hand in ditching Cutler would not be one that I'd list.

I keep hearing "bring in a coach that appeals to Bakers game". The photo "yuk' in my mind always comes up Adam Case :huh:.. Come on Gregg Williams!! Win some games.. 

This I’m sure it’s going to be someone that Dorsey has been with somewhere.  Probably McCarthy but I ask will he work.  Riders only works there because the line gives him time to run around and throw trash up after 10 seconds after the db’s get tired and his wr get space.  I still think whom ever they get has to tool the team around what baker does best slants quick outs and seam patterns 

13 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Riders only works there because the line gives him time to run around...

Of course the reason he runs around is because he runs out of time...

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'll toss my hat into the ring for Eric Bieniemy.

Pretty sure you have to toss his hat, not yours...

Does appear that he did call plays yesterday. When did Andy turn over playcalling to him?

Archived