THE BROWNS BOARD

flyingfooldoug

Not a fan of Modell by any stretch, but pissing on his "grave"? No... I draw the line at "Jump, Art! JUMP!"

As for the Ravens... They are a natural rival given our history... and I love rivalries. What other team shares a division with three, true rivals? Where two rivals, CIN and BLT, were made off the playing field? It's been 20 years, but we are finally approaching the full realization of all those rivalries on the field.

Who can we thank for setting up our unique division? Art...

I love it...

• Upvote 1

This should get the troops all fired up......

President Donald Trump on Tuesday continued his insult campaign against Baltimore, calling Maryland’s largest city “worse than Honduras.”

“Baltimore happens to be about the worst case,” Trump told The Washington Post. “If you look at it statistically, it’s like, the number of shootings, the number of crimes, the number of everything — this morning I heard a statistic, Baltimore is worse than Honduras, OK?”

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a fan of Modell by any stretch, but pissing on his "grave"? No... I draw the line at "Jump, Art! JUMP!"

As for the Ravens... They are a natural rival given our history... and I love rivalries. What other team shares a division with three, true rivals? Where two rivals, CIN and BLT, were made off the playing field? It's been 20 years, but we are finally approaching the full realization of all those rivalries on the field.

I love it...

Nice point. Go put a hat on it. He brought nothing but hell here. Fuck him

• Like 1

In all seriousness, KC gave a good blue print on stifling Lamar's hot start-make him a pocket thrower. Outside of a few truly ridiculous catches, The Chiefs controlled that game by making Baltimore keep the ball on the ground. Obviously they had a lot of success running the ball, but our defensive front seven is much more stout than KC's unit. With the great scheme Wilks rolled out last week, I'm hopeful we'll employ the same strategy.

Offensively? I just hope Freddie gets beat over the head with what worked Sunday Night as opposed to what clearly didn't. I'm much, much less confident in that however.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I love it...

I said  at the time  of his death, the family  should have  had Art cremated. Sooner or later, it was bound to  happen. I'd bet it's  been  done  more than once, with less  fanfare.  

And nope, I  disagree. The Ravens belong in the  AFC East. Besides giving the Patriots  some  legit  competition, we should have had the Bills or Colts with us in the North. Cincinnati  is farther "south" than Indianapolis.  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I said  at the time  of his death, the family  should have  had Art cremated. Sooner or later, it was bound to  happen. I'd bet it's  been  done  more than once, with less  fanfare.  

And nope, I  disagree. The Ravens belong in the  AFC East. Besides giving the Patriots  some  legit  competition, we should have had the Bills or Colts with us in the North. Cincinnati  is farther "south" than Indianapolis.  :)

Right on. I’ve often thought Detroit makes sense geographically.  And ole fart getting love on this board???   Blasphemy!  

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

And how far "east" is Dallas? 

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

And how far "east" is Dallas? 

A little OT, but I totally agree. That was Jerry Jones at work. Didn't want to lose the "rivalry" with the Redskins. Apparently, what Jerry wants, Jerry gets. Just another reason to hate "South America's Team". So fhaking what? Those of us old enough to remember back in the 60s the Browns had a big rivalry with the Giants that went by the wayside. The Cowboys should have been in the same division as New Orleans.   

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

In my opinion  Ft. McKenzie ???McHenry??????ranks #1 in this country as a patriotic experience.   Over anything in DC or Mt. Rushmore, or any Civil War or Revolutionary War Battlefield.  Arizona Memorial probably 2d.    So, Baltimore has that going for it.

5 hours ago, Gorka said:

One of the most "out of place" teams was when Jacksonville was in the AFCN.

As I said earlier,  it was NOT the AFC North when Jax was in the same division....it was called the AFC Central.  The last season under the old league setup was 2001.   The "current league" as it is now set started in 2002.    Here was the standings in the  last season, 2001 AFC Central under the old alignment:

AFC Central
Pittsburgh Steelers* 13 3 .813 352 212 140 8.8 -1.4 7.4 1.5 5.8
Baltimore Ravens+ 10 6 .625 303 265 38 2.4 0.8 3.2 -0.8 4.0
Cleveland Browns 7 9 .438 285 319 -34 -2.1 1.3 -0.8 -0.9 0.1
Tennessee Titans 7 9 .438 336 388 -52 -3.3 1.2 -2.0 2.4 -4.4
Jacksonville Jaguars 6 10 .375 294 286 8 0.5 0.4 0.9 -1.1 2.0
Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 .375 226 309 -83 -5.2 1.7 -3.5 -4.5 1.0

And here, 2002 is the first season of the AFCNorth:

AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers* 10 5 1 .656 390 345 45 2.8 -0.1 2.7 3.1 -0.4
Cleveland Browns+ 9 7 0 .563 344 320 24 1.5 -0.3 1.2 -0.4 1.7
Baltimore Ravens 7 9 0 .438 316 354 -38 -2.4 0.3 -2.1 -1.5 -0.6
Cincinnati Bengals 2 14 0 .125 279 456 -177 -11.1 0.6 -10.5 -3.6 -6.9

If you all recall, back in the 70s and throughout the 80s...up until the mid 90s I believe,  the AFC Central lineup was the Browns, Steelers, Bengals...and the Houston Oilers.    That too was a big geographical discrepancy.    They had, for a long time 3 divisions in each conference where 2 divisions had 5 teams...and one had 4...the Central.  Indianapolis remained in the East after the Colts moved from Baltimore...but they never switched divisions for that team....UNTIL 2002.   Kansas City would have been more "Central" than Houston....but they wanted to keep the rivalries that the Chiefs had with the Raiders/Chargers/Broncos.

But...there is no doubt that the league ...at least the AFC could do some realigning, of the current setup  if it wanted to, to make things more geographically accurate.

Miami would go to the South,   Baltimore to the East, and likely Indy to the North.

I don't know what you would do in the NFC.  Dallas is out of place, but really, all the other teams in that Conf.  seem like they are where they belong.  Unless say, they and Carolina would switch places...but really Charlotte/Carolina IS a "southern" town, so the south seems a better match for them than the North.  So, just let Dallas have to travel.   

On 9/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, Gorka said:

One of the most "out of place" teams was when Jacksonville was in the AFCN.

That's true along with (from 1992 for example)

AFC Central
Pittsburgh Steelers* 11 5 .688 299 225 74 4.6 -1.0 3.6 -0.4 4.0
Houston Oilers+ 10 6 .625 352 258 94 5.9 -0.3 5.5 3.0 2.6
Cleveland Browns 7 9 .438 272 275 -3 -0.2 -0.8 -1.0 -2.0 1.0
Cincinnati Bengals 5 11 .313 274 364 -90 -5.6 -1.0 -6.6 -0.9 -5.7