THE BROWNS BOARD

flyingfooldoug

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Alright stop fn with our state bird down here. They can imitate any other songbird out there. And The Great American Novel incorporates our love for it in the south. If you've never read Harper Lee's novel I highly recommend you do so. Trivia question: Who debuted as Boo Radley in the movie?

For some reason Ravens are revered by Italians, and my hometown named the high school athletic teams the "Ravens" because of the large population of Italians in the city at the time. Let's just say, I was less than pleased to see Modell use my HS nickname for his stolen team's new identity. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

For some reason Ravens are revered by Italians, and my hometown named the high school athletic teams the "Ravens" because of the large population of Italians in the city at the time. Let's just say, I was less than pleased to see Modell use my HS nickname for his stolen team's new identity. 

When I was in high school, my school was in the same league as Ravenna HS....also The Ravens.  So that name was nothing unusual to me. 

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

https://setexasrecord.com/stories/510608149-dead-mockingbirds-lead-to-10k-fine-for-drilling-company

BTW it's illegal throughout the US.

And killing the Mexican Aztec Dove in south Texas where I was hunting carries a $250 fine for each in possession.

This ain’t Texas. We don’t have the accursed things here. Our state bird is red, pretty and has its own tune. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

When I was in high school, my school was in the same league as Ravenna HS....also The Ravens.  So that name was nothing unusual to me. 

Yeah, I remember Barberton kicking the shit out of Ravenna on the regular when they were both in the old Metro League, when I went to Ravenna. I think Barberton had a QB who went to TTUN (Loeffler?) that threw for like 1000 yards one night vs the Ravens.  

13 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Mockingbirds are worse. In NC I had one near my bedroom window.  They’re pretty dumb and think a full moon is daytime and sing. My luck, this one does a great car alarm. Honkhonkhonkhonk at 3 am

This is so true...This State also owns hummer birds that will take a eye out at their feeders ..Catbirds that will mess with outdoor dogs or cats...and Really the only few cool Birds we own are the Owl & Eagle.. and on the Coast a Seagull..he just parks beside your fishing boat with the "what kind of scraps ya got" look👀   

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yeah, I remember Barberton kicking the shit out of Ravenna on the regular when they were both in the old Metro League, when I went to Ravenna. I think Barberton had a QB who went to TTUN (Loeffler?) that threw for like 1000 yards one night vs the Ravens.  

I didn't go to Barberton,   and Barberton was not in the "Old Metro League". (not in my day....nor do I think they were ever in it....they have been in the Suburban League.)  The old Metro league was Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt, Stow, Tallmadge, Springfield, Ellet, Coventry, Norton. 

There is now a new Metro League (Portage Trail Conf. Metro Division)...and many of the same schools are now in that.

Look, all I know is I just wanted to see how the Bengals fans are talking, cuz I really hate their asses...THEY are still disrespecting the Browns..the BENGALS, guys...still talking shit about your team.  I don't know what goes on between your two cities there, but I can't believe they talkin shit, as bad as they are.  I'm just saying.  It was only one thread but they were listing their schedule with hopes of winning some games...When it came to Baltimore they were like, tough games, but we can split with them...when it came to both Cleveland games, they were like, I don't care who they have, It's Cleveland, and we take them easily.  Why don't you guys get any respect?   Does it suck being a Browns fan for that reason?  When they worst teams in football don't worry about playing you guys, there's a problem, I would think.

28 minutes ago, Raven5220 said:

Look, all I know is I just wanted to see how the Bengals fans are talking, cuz I really hate their asses...THEY are still disrespecting the Browns..the BENGALS, guys...still talking shit about your team.  I don't know what goes on between your two cities there, but I can't believe they talkin shit, as bad as they are.  I'm just saying.  It was only one thread but they were listing their schedule with hopes of winning some games...When it came to Baltimore they were like, tough games, but we can split with them...when it came to both Cleveland games, they were like, I don't care who they have, It's Cleveland, and we take them easily.  Why don't you guys get any respect?   Does it suck being a Browns fan for that reason?  When they worst teams in football don't worry about playing you guys, there's a problem, I would think.

Well it’s not our fault that they like you are just fucking stupid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raven5220 said:

If you ever go to the the Bengals board, you should probably know that they are just a bunch of dumb inbred hillbilly morons, who couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the C and the A. Who really gives a crap about fans of a team that we beat twice last season, after coming off of 0 -16 then 1 - 15, then acts like they have a good football team. It doesn't suck at all being a Browns fan right now. Especially since we just exposed your joke of a defense, and your great fans, as they ran for the exits in the 4th quarter. 

2 hours ago, Raven5220 said:

We spent the better part of a couple decades earning the disrespect of an entire league...

It'll take a while to earn respect again...

... but we're working on it...

... and I like our odds.

1 minute ago, lodilobo said:

If you ever go to the the Bengals board, you should probably know that they are just a bunch of dumb inbred hillbilly morons, who couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the C and the A. Who really gives a crap about fans of a team that we beat twice last season, after coming off of 0 -16 then 1 - 15, then acts like they have a good football team. It doesn't suck at all being a Browns fan right now. Especially since we just exposed your joke of a defense, and your great fans, as they ran for the exits in the 4th quarter. 

I agree with you on Bengals fans, I already said I hate them.  Now as far as the rest of your statement:  you talk awfully tough for a fan of a team that did win only 1 game in 2 years...Your team didn't expose shit...we already knew our defense was a weak spot and you guys outplayed us...we don't like to lose, but our team is ALWAYS competitive, and finds a way to bounce back.    And yea, our fans were leaving for the door in the 4th quarter during ONE game...to me, that sure beats having to leave during the 4th quarter for 30 straight games.  Keep in mind, your team is the Browns...even if you are riding high after one win, that high won't last very long.  You know this, I know this, the world knows this.  Your organization is shit, and has been forever now.  The Browns just don't know how to be winners.  The Ravens, on the other hand, do.  Keep in mind, your Browns left your city as the joke of the league, and became the Ravens, who within 5 short years, turned the franchise into a Superbowl winning team...Meanwhile, once you regained the Browns, you've barely had 2 winning seasons in 20 years.  And this sums up the difference between the 2 teams:  you are talking shit and saying how great it is to be a Browns fan right now...you are 2 and 2..lol.  We are 2 and 2, and in NO way satisfied.  Keep your head high, pal....cuz the  8 and 8 Browns will be very satisfying at the end of the season.

28 minutes ago, Raven5220 said:

I agree with you on Bengals fans, I already said I hate them.  Now as far as the rest of your statement:  you talk awfully tough for a fan of a team that did win only 1 game in 2 years...

This is as ignorant as shit. It is like saying:  you talk tough for a fan of a team that has been around since only 1996, where our team has been around since WWII.  That is history...which don't mean shit compared to what can happen now.

Your team didn't expose shit...we already knew our defense was a weak spot and you guys outplayed us...we don't like to lose, but our team is ALWAYS competitive, and finds a way to bounce back. 

That remains to be seen. You don't have Ray Lewis, you don't have Ed Reed, you don't have Haloti Ngata, you don't have Suggs...You don't have all those players that always made your team competitive.  Now you don't have Mosley, or Weddle either.  Harbaugh will try to keep them competitive, but you don't have the horses you once did. 

And yea, our fans were leaving for the door in the 4th quarter during ONE game...to me, that sure beats having to leave during the 4th quarter for 30 straight games. 

Even in losing Browns fans stuck around.  It is why we are so admired.

Keep in mind, your team is the Browns...even if you are riding high after one win, that high won't last very long.  You know this, I know this, the world knows this.  Your organization is shit, and has been forever now.  The Browns just don't know how to be winners.  The Ravens, on the other hand, do.

Again, that is also history.  You know longer have Ozzie running your organization...and with him left half your defense. And now our organization is changed also...for the better.    Keep in mind, the Browns have won 8 championships, and still have made the playoffs more times than  3-4 other franchises...if all you want to do is to hang your hat on history.

Keep in mind, your Browns left your city as the joke of the league, and became the Ravens,

Actually, NO, they didn't.   Do I have to educate your ignorant ass on that subject as well? Funny how the Browns supposedly left Cleveland...yet here they are...playing in Cleveland. 

who within 5 short years, turned the franchise into a Superbowl winning team..

Yes, Ozzie and Biscotti did that for you.

.Meanwhile, once you regained the Browns, you've barely had 2 winning seasons in 20 years. 

Yes, Captain obvious, the Browns have had bad owners and bad managers over the last 20 years.  Now they don't.

And this sums up the difference between the 2 teams:  you are talking shit and saying how great it is to be a Browns fan right now...you are 2 and 2..lol.

You are also obtuse about human nature.  We see the tough schedule that we played, and 2-2 is workable, especially since we are only going to get better....with time together, health (remember: 1/3rd of our starting lineup missed that game...think about that)

We are 2 and 2, and in NO way satisfied. 

You shouldn't be, but it may be what you are relegated to.  As your wins came against perhaps the worst 2 teams in the league. 

Keep your head high, pal....cuz the  8 and 8 Browns will be very satisfying at the end of the season.

And you should be more than satisfied if you make that.  I think in my Prediction thread I had you all at about 6-10  or 7-9.  I had the Steelers better (but then I had them with BR, but I am not sure you are better even without him)  But, feel satisfied...you are probably still better than the Bengals.  

23 minutes ago, Raven5220 said:

I agree with you on Bengals fans, I already said I hate them.  Now as far as the rest of your statement:  you talk awfully tough for a fan of a team that did win only 1 game in 2 years...Your team didn't expose shit...we already knew our defense was a weak spot and you guys outplayed us...we don't like to lose, but our team is ALWAYS competitive, and finds a way to bounce back.    And yea, our fans were leaving for the door in the 4th quarter during ONE game...to me, that sure beats having to leave during the 4th quarter for 30 straight games.  Keep in mind, your team is the Browns...even if you are riding high after one win, that high won't last very long.  You know this, I know this, the world knows this.  Your organization is shit, and has been forever now.  The Browns just don't know how to be winners.  The Ravens, on the other hand, do.  Keep in mind, your Browns left your city as the joke of the league, and became the Ravens, who within 5 short years, turned the franchise into a Superbowl winning team...Meanwhile, once you regained the Browns, you've barely had 2 winning seasons in 20 years.  And this sums up the difference between the 2 teams:  you are talking shit and saying how great it is to be a Browns fan right now...you are 2 and 2..lol.  We are 2 and 2, and in NO way satisfied.  Keep your head high, pal....cuz the  8 and 8 Browns will be very satisfying at the end of the season.

Let me enlighten you with facts regarding the Browns moving to Baltimore, because either you are too stupid to comprehend what transpired, or you only listen to your fellow Ratbirds fans. Your team came within an eyelash of being the"Browns". When Modell took the deal, he fully intended to be the owner of the Baltimore Browns. The fans and officials of the city of Cleveland wouldn't let that happen, and fought to keep the rights to the name in Cleveland. After the smoke cleared, we were promised a new NFL franchise immediately. In contrast, when your Colts left town, you got nothing. Johnny Unitas' history is now with Indy....not Baltimore. You and your fellow fans obviously didn't give a crap, because your stadium was empty before a move was ever considered by Irsay. In fact, that's no doubt why he left. You should love Cleveland, because the truth of the matter is...if it wasn't for Art Modell having financial problems, you still would be without a team. You went 12 years, and the NFL couldn't see any good reason to put a franchise in Baltimore. It must have sucked....not being relevant enough to even be considered for an expansion franchise. So, you settled for another city's team that was relocated from one of the greatest NFL franchises. That's why you hate the Cleveland Browns...nothing more than pure jealousy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

Let me enlighten you with facts regarding the Browns moving to Baltimore, because either you are too stupid to comprehend what transpired, or you only listen to your fellow Ratbirds fans. Your team came within an eyelash of being the"Browns". When Modell took the deal, he fully intended to be the owner of the Baltimore Browns. The fans and officials of the city of Cleveland wouldn't let that happen, and fought to keep the rights to the name in Cleveland.

The Law and the Lease is what didn't allow that to happen. (no fan involvement at all really...other than noise)...and the city was involved because it was the lessor/owner of the stadium. 

After the smoke cleared, we were promised a new NFL franchise immediately.

Actually, there was to be no "new" franchise....it was to be...and is, the same franchise that has been in place since 1946.

. In contrast, when your Colts left town, you got nothing. Johnny Unitas' history is now with Indy....not Baltimore. You and your fellow fans obviously didn't give a crap, because your stadium was empty before a move was ever considered by Irsay.

Well...to be fair....I think the fans of Baltimore did, indeed give a crap....and they WERE shit on by Irsay. What they didn't have was the legal hammer that Cleveland had....otherwise we would have been in their same boat.

In fact, that's no doubt why he left. You should love Cleveland, because the truth of the matter is...if it wasn't for Art Modell having financial problems, you still would be without a team. You went 12 years, and the NFL couldn't see any good reason to put a franchise in Baltimore.

And, also to be fair....at least factual....the NFL did bypass Baltimore as an expansion city when they chose Carolina and Jacksonville. For that...Baltimore should blame I think...Jack Kent Cooke, for, after the Colts left B-more, he felt that that town was now HIS territory and that he should be able to exploit it on behalf of his Redskins...and his pocketbook. And for the Baltimoron posting here:  FYI...Art Modell agreed with him at the time, and opposed...and voted against Baltimore getting one of the expansion teams. 

It must have sucked....not being relevant enough to even be considered for an expansion franchise. So, you settled for another city's team that was relocated from one of the greatest NFL franchises. That's why you hate the Cleveland Browns...nothing more than pure jealousy.

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I'm pretty sure that you know a little bit about this subject, so you could be right about the law / lease blocking the name being transferred to Baltimore, but I vividly remember the NFL commissioner being very quick to add an expansion team in Cleveland to replace the old team. Don't make me start looking for details to prove this. We both know it happened. Where you and I have always disagreed, is the fact that the team actually moved. I know you will say they didn't, because we retained the history, name, colors, etc., but our team was gone and was relocated to Baltimore. Also....I did not follow closely, the move of the Colts from Baltimore, but I recently read that there was a law in place to block that move, but Irsay simply disregarded it. It's also a fact that the few years prior to that move, the Colts fans were not filling their stadium. Sure, Irsay screwed the fans and the city, but why didn't the NFL award them an expansion team in a reasonable amount of time? My guess is because the NFL is all about the bottom line profit, and because the fans had not been showing up in recent years, they just said..screw them.

3 hours ago, Raven5220 said:

Bengal fans are in some ways similar to Steelers fans- living off of the past glory of two Super Bowl appearances. And trust me, living just up the road from Cincitucky, one of their trips to the Big Game was a season long string of incredible luck.  Like double doinking a FG that went through to win a game, there were plenty of others...  They have total amnesia post SB, that until the rebooted Browns mishaps took the mantle off of them- they were by far the suckiest team in the NFL. Jeff Blake, Dave Kingler, Akilli Smith, and a host of other draft bums. I hope you noticed they lead the NFL in 0-4 starts since 1990.  

1 hour ago, Raven5220 said:

The past is in the past, it will fade, just like Steeler fans thinking their team has always been great, and the history of the NFL started in 1970. BTW, Gipper is dead right- the Ravens history started in 1996, and all the Colts records now reside in Indianapolis. Boo-hoo. Cleveland's are right where they've always been. And don't pull the BS that Art did that out of the goodness of his heart- he was forced to, unless he wanted to play in an empty stadium in Cleveland until his lease ran out.  

As to the organization currently being shit, hate to tell you that's not the case anymore. That sounds like our Steeler troll saying were going to be good, because we've always been good. & the Browns are going to be bad because they've always been bad.Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  There's a new sheriff in Cleve-town, John Dorsey (who had a large hand in making the Chiefs what they are today) and his sidekick Elliott Wolf- who probably could have taken the GM job in Green Bay.  

Funny- you can thank a former Brown- Ozzie Newsome for having the draft acumen to pick guys like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. 

8 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

I'm pretty sure that you know a little bit about this subject, so you could be right about the law / lease blocking the name being transferred to Baltimore, but I vividly remember the NFL commissioner being very quick to add an expansion team in Cleveland to replace the old team. Don't make me start looking for details to prove this. We both know it happened. Where you and I have always disagreed, is the fact that the team actually moved. I know you will say they didn't, because we retained the history, name, colors, etc., but our team was gone and was relocated to Baltimore. Also....I did not follow closely, the move of the Colts from Baltimore, but I recently read that there was a law in place to block that move, but Irsay simply disregarded it. It's also a fact that the few years prior to that move, the Colts fans were not filling their stadium. Sure, Irsay screwed the fans and the city, but why didn't the NFL award them an expansion team in a reasonable amount of time? My guess is because the NFL is all about the bottom line profit, and because the fans had not been showing up in recent years, they just said..screw them.

We won't start dredging this up for around the millionth time since 1995, Gip and me are both 100% correct. The difference is between a team and a franchise. The team moved, the Browns franchise stayed. The Ravens are an expansion franchise, in 1999 the Browns fielded a new team. 

OTOH, the Colts team and franchise moved to Indy. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, hoorta said:

We won't start dredging this up for around the millionth time since 1995, Gip and me are both 100% correct. The difference is between a team and a franchise. The team moved, the Browns franchise stayed. The Ravens are an expansion franchise, in 1999 the Browns fielded a new team. 

OTOH, the Colts team and franchise moved to Indy. 

Yeah....the subject got a little old after about 15 years. 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't go to Barberton,   and Barberton was not in the "Old Metro League". (not in my day....nor do I think they were ever in it....they have been in the Suburban League.)  The old Metro league was Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt, Stow, Tallmadge, Springfield, Ellet, Coventry, Norton. 

There is now a new Metro League (Portage Trail Conf. Metro Division)...and many of the same schools are now in that.

Yes, Barberton was in the Metro League in the early 90s, at the least. 

8 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Just a brief comment look up the term assignment when it comes to legal contracts. That is what happened with the team. Contracts were assigned to a new corporate entity.