THE BROWNS BOARD

Justice? 16 year prison sentence for burning a gay flag

OldBrownsFan

34 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Enhancing a sentence because of priors is one thing

but enhancing a flag burning offense 

Which is exactly what this was - increasing the max sentence because of priors as a repeat offender.   So glad you're in agreement with how the law can handle that.

"Flag burning offense"...   a crime in this case.   

So if he's a 2 strike offender and his previous 2 are felonies, most any misdemeanor will get you canned.    This is theft, destruction of property and how he wasn't charged with inciting violence and threats is beyond me. 

So at the heart of the matter is this - do you not believe that him stealing the flag and burning it was a crime? 

edit: and to counter your point.  If this man had no criminal record, do you believe he would have gotten 16 years?   If so, welcome to ignore.  If no, then you're admitting the prior convictions, scrapes with the law and felonies are what did him in.  

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Which is exactly what this was - increasing the max sentence because of priors and a repeat offender.   So glad you're in agreement with how the law can handle that.

"Flag burning offense"...   a crime in this case.   

So if he's a 2 strike offender and his previous 2 are felonies, most any misdemeanor will get you canned.    This is theft, destruction of property and how he wasn't charged with inciting violence and threats is beyond me. 

So at the heart of the matter is this - do you not believe that him stealing the flag and burning it was a crime?

It was a crime and him getting some more punishment because of his priors I don't have a problem with but not 16 years in prison which is over kill.

• Upvote 1

the left says gays are special because a lot of them vote for the dems. they say they have ...special rights....

if they say they are transsexual gays, then you had better call them by their chosen gender, or face a judge.

maybe get 5 years for that too.

or maybe you have to pay them over a million bucks.....when gay/leftwing judges rule.

for instance...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/transgender-plaintiff-sues-former-employer-nike-for-exposure-to-incorrect-gender-pronouns

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

the left says gays are special because a lot of them vote for the dems. they say they have ...special rights....

if they say they are transsexual gays, then you had better call them by their chosen gender, or face a judge.

maybe get 5 years for that too.

or maybe you have to pay them over a million bucks.....when gay/leftwing judges rule.

for instance...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/transgender-plaintiff-sues-former-employer-nike-for-exposure-to-incorrect-gender-pronouns

The left destroys everything it touches. Now they are eating their own:

https://therightscoop.com/frasier-actress-begs-forgiveness-for-liking-wrongthink-rowling-promises-never-ever-to-step-out-of-line-again/

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The bottom line is he tore down a gay flag and burned it and it was for that crime he gets 16 years prison. Enhancing a sentence because of priors is one thing but enhancing a flag burning offense into a 16 year prison sentence is way out of line anyway you slice it or dice it.

It wasn’t just the burning which is totally legal if you aren’t stealing someone’s belongings to torch. No one should squirt tears over a repeat felon getting the book thrown at them for failing another IQ test.

12 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

It wasn’t just the burning which is totally legal if you aren’t stealing someone’s belongings to torch. No one should squirt tears over a repeat felon getting the book thrown at them for failing another IQ test.

That didn't occur to me . So its the idea that he stole it and burned it that makes it a hate crime.

3 minutes ago, Gorka said:

That didn't occur to me . So its the idea that he stole it and burned it that makes it a hate crime.

A) Hate crime legislation is silly but B ) they can use it to pile on if you are stupid enough to tell a police officer that your motive for XYZ crime was hatred against (insert group here).

You can torch your own stuff all day and scream you are doing it for your hatred of gay Chinese women. No police involved.

59 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The sentence is way out of proportion to the crime. 16 years in prison should be reserved for far more serious crimes. We hear how expensive it is to house prison  inmates and he is needlessly taking up bed space.

11 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The sentence is way out of proportion to the crime. 16 years in prison should be reserved for far more serious crimes. We hear how expensive it is to house prison  inmates and he is needlessly taking up bed space.

The guy is a repeat felon and clearly can’t get his shit together. Are we now soft on criminals around these parts?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The guy is a repeat felon and clearly can’t get his shit together. Are we now soft on criminals around these parts?

I think that 16 years in prison for stealing an inexpensive gay flag is way out of proportion to the crime...yeah I guess I'm a softy

• Upvote 1

plainly and simply, even though a birdbrain won't read it:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/delaware-woman-steals-burns-flag-fallen-trooper-honor-police/2096189/

Iocco was arraigned and released on $275 unsecured bond.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

one year. not 16

even higgardly clinton said one year on a bill she sponsored....

https://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2016/dec/02/blog-posting/clinton-did-co-sponsor-legislation-decade-ago-jail/

denver.... if they catch them:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/20/ice-protest-aurora-colorado-flag-desecration-law/

Colorado’s flag mutilation law forbids anyone from destroying or damaging a U.S. or Colorado flag in public “with intent to cast contempt or ridicule upon the flag” or to “outrage the sensibilities” of people observing the actions. The law states that anyone caught doing so could face a misdemeanor charge that carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $750 fine.

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

It's easy just to say "repeat felon" and run with that...but what felony was committed?  ….hurting someone's feelings by burning another fag flag prior to this one?

If that's all it was, then perhaps one or two years. But 16? That's just wrong.

Try saying "fag flag" 10 times real fast. I can't even get past the second time!

19 minutes ago, Gorka said:
24 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

plainly and simply, even though a birdbrain won't read it:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/delaware-woman-steals-burns-flag-fallen-trooper-honor-police/2096189/

Iocco was arraigned and released on $275 unsecured bond.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

one year. not 16

even higgardly clinton said one year on a bill she sponsored....

https://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2016/dec/02/blog-posting/clinton-did-co-sponsor-legislation-decade-ago-jail/

denver.... if they catch them:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/20/ice-protest-aurora-colorado-flag-desecration-law/

Colorado’s flag mutilation law forbids anyone from destroying or damaging a U.S. or Colorado flag in public “with intent to cast contempt or ridicule upon the flag” or to “outrage the sensibilities” of people observing the actions. The law states that anyone caught doing so could face a misdemeanor charge that carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $750 fine.

The top link..stealing and burning the flag honoring a dead state trooper. Clearly a hate crime. So why do we stop at only labeling crimes committed against those because of their race, ethnicity or sexual orientation as hate crimes?

29 minutes ago, Gorka said:

If that's how you feel then you should feel the same way about sentencing this guy to 16 yrs. for committing one.

Nah I won’t feel bad when the guy gets a misdemeanor for theft (removing everything related to the hate crime legislation) and fails yet another IQ test then gets the book thrown at him. Life long felons don’t get that leeway.

50 minutes ago, Gorka said:

It's easy just to say "repeat felon" and run with that...but what felony was committed?  ….hurting someone's feelings by burning another fag flag prior to this one?

If that's all it was, then perhaps one or two years. But 16? That's just wrong.

Try saying "fag flag" 10 times real fast. I can't even get past the second time!

The flag theft etc were all misdemeanors. Dummy has a lifetime of paperwork related to prior felonies. He wasn’t learning.

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I think that 16 years in prison for stealing an inexpensive gay flag is way out of proportion to the crime...yeah I guess I'm a softy

If it was just that crime in a vacuum, sure. We just forgetting that he has several prior felonies mentioned during his sentencing? There are plenty laws I don’t agree with, some created by the NY Dem in Chief via executive order, but I know that if I repeatedly break them then I am just too dumb and need to be away from society.

Lot's of good points on both sides but I think this underscores a more important problem which is the imbalance of the application of the legal system in America. Would a 16 year old with two felonies on his record get 16 years for stealing a 12 pack of beer from a Korean shop owner in the hood? I think the hate crime tag is bullshit because it makes certain groups of people more important than other groups of people. Was the Civil Rights legislation about ending that or just about turning the tables?

WSS

12 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Lot's of good points on both sides but I think this underscores a more important problem which is the imbalance of the application of the legal system in America. Would a 16 year old with two felonies on his record get 16 years for stealing a 12 pack of beer from a Korean shop owner in the hood? I think the hate crime tag is bullshit because it makes certain groups of people more important than other groups of people. Was the Civil Rights legislation about ending that or just about turning the tables?

WSS

Worked with juvies in a detention center for almost 10 years. Unless they are given “juvenile life”, (something truly egregious like a murder or extreme sex crime) they are out at 18 with a clean record. Juvie life will usually just be (at least in WV) through the first 6 months of being 18 in a juvenile center then till 21 in an adult facility. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Worked with juvies in a detention center for almost 10 years. Unless they are given “juvenile life”, (something truly egregious like a murder or extreme sex crime) they are out at 18 with a clean record. Juvie life will usually just be (at least in WV) through the first 6 months of being 18 in a juvenile center then till 21 in an adult facility. 

Oh I'm hip to that; giving them the boot at 18 from the facility but that makes the 16-year sentence a little more ridiculous right?

WSS

34 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I worked with a kid who drown a neighbors toddler in a pool and he didn’t get juvie life. Zero remorse and wasn’t wired for emotions from the jump. Cujo has rabies and should never see daylight but he is out somewhere likely killing people on the sly.

The justice system is fucked up, to use the legal term, I think that's the takeaway.

WSS

• Upvote 1