THE BROWNS BOARD

Justice? 16 year prison sentence for burning a gay flag

OldBrownsFan

28 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Go on... ODB, give the full story on where the flag was and the guys history + background.  

Don't be Cal and drop a headline then run.  Command respect otherwise this penchant for whining without discussion just makes you look like another one of the effeminant males on this board... 

It's not surprising after you read the linked article and realize THAT is where these people are getting their news from

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The story speaks for itself.  The details are in the story I linked and the bottom line is the sentence is way out of line with people committing murder who have gotten less time.

No, you speak for yourself.   How about your share some details as to how the judge arrived at the sentencing and all that took place prior and in between?   Or can you?   I can, I read this story this morning on a different site.   Figured it would probably pop up here.

Just now, tiamat63 said:

No, you speak for yourself.   How about your share some details as to how the judge arrived at the sentencing and all that took place prior and in between?   Or can you?   I can, I read this story this morning on a different site.   Figured it would probably pop up here.

Post your link then to the "other site". I posted mine which brought out the details you are whining were left out.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I thought you might grace us with an appearance when I posted the article. Please let me know what the article left out?  

I saw Tia posted so I came in. Believe me, the usual crowd ain't worth it anymore.

You do have a habit of doing this, as I've pointed out many times before. In discussions and debates you just throw links at the screen without any input of your own. It makes sense though as blindly following something your told without questioning it, and letting it speak for you, is kind of your MO. 

The article title is trying to get you to click on it. They want the most flashy, exaggerated thing they can right. Whatever pulls on the emotions of their conservative readers the best. So that means highlighting the punishment number and ignoring the details (taken from church, repeat offender lengthened sentence, etc). 

It's as clear as day. I mean the content of the article itself is poorly written too. Designed in a way to, again, just pull on reader emotions. 

Idk if it has to do with being on the far political spectrum and believing whatever you want to read, or if it has to do with the older generation not knowing at all how the internet works. 

11 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I thought you might grace us with an appearance when I posted the article. Please let me know what the article left out?  

Not a problem, friendo.

-“He said he wants to ‘cut us out of the land of the living,’  -  this was the man yelling at those whom he stole the flag from.   Which, I don't have to tell you, is a threat upon life.   If I were to burn a flag, run at a cop and yell that, best believe I'm getting shot.  

Given that Martinez had a lengthy history of harassment and felony offenses and showed no remorse, Story County Attorney Jessica Reynolds suggested the maximum possible sentence, to which the judge agreed.

No where in your article is his history, which includes MULTIPLE felonies... mentioned.    Now I've seen most everyone on here not disagree with punishment for repeat offenders, especially ones with felonies, correct?  

“I’ll see you when I get out".... 

.... Said directly to THE PASTOR OF THE CHURCH, by the guy as he was being led away after sentencing.    So this man just threatened a woman of the cloth who was also a witness...     Please, do not attempt to spin it any other way.

So the guy has a violent history with several crosses with law enforcement,  commits vandalism with violent intention, then proceeds to yell threats to the patrons and delivers them to the pastor of the church.     The guy is a ticking time bomb, and under the laws of the State of Iowa, you know... the honest, god fearing, REAL AMERICANS that Cal squeels about, he was giving the maximum sentence.   

What about this seems unfair?    So here's my question to you.  Why in the world would your site leave out such incredibly prudent information unless the end goal by the author was to directly cut out vital testimony and fact in order to spin the story in a mold they see fit?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you want to defend a 16 year prison sentence for the crime of burning a gay flag go for it. Just don't complain about over crowded prisons.  I really  don't care if a deft shows remorse or not when they get sentenced because anyone can easily tell the judge how sorry they are when being sentenced in hopes of getting a lesser sentence. I sat in on a sentencing where 3 defts were being sentenced at the same time. After the first deft got sentenced (with a tough sentence) the judge after sentencing him told him he didn't even show any remorse for what he did. When the next two defts spoke to the judge prior to their sentencing do you want to guess the first thing they said.? I'll tell you.."Judge we are so sorry for what we did".

The article I posted gave a link to the story from the local newspaper. The bottom line it is an absurd sentence even with the aggravating factors.

11 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If you want to defend a 16 year prison sentence for the crime of burning a gay flag go for it. Just don't complain about over crowded prisons.  I really  don't care if a deft shows remorse or not when they get sentenced because anyone can easily tell the judge how sorry they are when being sentenced in hopes of getting a lesser sentence. I sat in on a sentencing where 3 defts were being sentenced at the same time. After the first deft got sentenced (with a tough sentence) the judge after sentencing him told him he didn't even show any remorse for what he did. When the next two defts spoke to the judge prior to their sentencing do you want to guess the first thing they said.? I'll tell you.."Judge we are so sorry for what we did".

The article I posted gave a link to the story from the local newspaper. The bottom line it is an absurd sentence even with the aggravating factors.

Let me stop you at the bold.    That's not what I'm doing.  This is a repeat offender.  He is being sentenced for this crime and additional for the previous ones compounding upon it.  We call that repeat behavior and those people tend to escalate said behavior - rather violently, I might add.   His own words indicate such.     I'm not defending it,  so much as the State of Iowa is the one that sought prosecution to the maximum sentencing.   Why not take up your beef with them?    

Prisons are overcrowded, especially with non-violent and misdemeanor type offenders. NOT multiple felons.  But your footwork on the back peddle is good, just sink your hips a bit.

As of the defts and your experience, I really couldn't give a shit less about your story.     Remorse has and will always play a part in punishment for anything.   Be it a parent to a child or a judge and jury to a defendant.  Were we not singing the praises of remorse, forgiveness and Christ's love just a short time ago with that lady cop who shot the dude in his own apartment?   She got off rather light in the grand scheme of things, and a lot of that had to do at the behest of the victims family and her... wait for it... remorse.  

Beyond all that, you still haven't answered my question as to why the author would leave out such CRITICAL information.   If the investigators, jury and judge required and used the information provided in the trial, why should not the reader have it?

So either it is intentionally misleading, shoddy reporting or outright bad investigation and journalism....?    Which of the three?  And if it is either of them, why continue to digest such poor offerings?   Would you frequent a restaurant that routinely got your order wrong and or poorly done?  I think not.     So why the persistence with bad writers?

Princess Tiamsies and woodypeckerhead don't have a love of country, family values, and they don't care about anything other than their own egos.

all they do is start fights with people on either forum, and bitch, bitch bitch.

I heard Rush talking about this. It sounds like the guy who burnt the gay stupid flag could have been sent for

psych evaluation, but 16 yrs was a political probably gay judge hate sentence.

But you're allowed to burn the American flag, right? Tiamsies and woodpecker don't give a crap about that. Free speech, unless you aren't the left.

The two resident sissy bitch birdbrains won't bird up and comment on the SUBJECT, so they attack the poster personally. This has been going on for many years, and it's predominantly the leftie liberals.

They LIVE solely on emotions, no facts matter.

Well, per the OP, which is justified:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/burn-that-rag-activists-to-desecrate-the-flag-at-trump-july-fourth-rally

"Johnson is well known for winning a 1989 Supreme Court case that invalidated state laws against flag burning. He declined to share the time

and location of next week's protest or say how many other activists will participate. "

SO, IF FLAG BURNING IS LEGAL, HOW IN THE HELL CAN SOME LIBERAL JUDGE GIVE SOMEBODY 16 YEARS ???

THAT IS THE POINT.

41 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Not a problem, friendo.

-“He said he wants to ‘cut us out of the land of the living,’  -  this was the man yelling at those whom he stole the flag from.   Which, I don't have to tell you, is a threat upon life.   If I were to burn a flag, run at a cop and yell that, best believe I'm getting shot.  

Given that Martinez had a lengthy history of harassment and felony offenses and showed no remorse, Story County Attorney Jessica Reynolds suggested the maximum possible sentence, to which the judge agreed.

No where in your article is his history, which includes MULTIPLE felonies... mentioned.    Now I've seen most everyone on here not disagree with punishment for repeat offenders, especially ones with felonies, correct?  

“I’ll see you when I get out".... 

.... Said directly to THE PASTOR OF THE CHURCH, by the guy as he was being led away after sentencing.    So this man just threatened a woman of the cloth who was also a witness...     Please, do not attempt to spin it any other way.

So the guy has a violent history with several crosses with law enforcement,  commits vandalism with violent intention, then proceeds to yell threats to the patrons and delivers them to the pastor of the church.     The guy is a ticking time bomb, and under the laws of the State of Iowa, you know... the honest, god fearing, REAL AMERICANS that Cal squeels about, he was giving the maximum sentence.   

What about this seems unfair?    So here's my question to you.  Why in the world would your site leave out such incredibly prudent information unless the end goal by the author was to directly cut out vital testimony and fact in order to spin the story in a mold they see fit?

I saw the story earlier today but didn't dig into a very deep so I didn't bother with it. But if I may paraphrase your admonition to not be Cal I applaud you for not being Woody. At least you pointed out some unknown elements.

WSS

Princess Tiamsies is emotionally knee jerking.

12 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

We call that repeat behavior and those people tend to escalate said behavior - rather violently, I might add.

so, the idiot flag-burner was a bigtime repeat defender, so "those people" are allowed to burn flags. If they are leftwing sombeitches. on and on it goes. Tiamsies, you say some of the stupidest things trying to be the alpha bird of a forum. even your mistakes on the football side. Stop your tantrum hissy fits attacking people personally or go away. We don't have a tantrum emotional knee jerk hissy fit forum for you and woodpecker.

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I saw the story earlier today but didn't dig into a very deep so I didn't bother with it. But if I may paraphrase your admonition to not be Cal I applaud you for not being Woody. At least you pointed out some unknown elements.

WSS

Tiamsies isn't woody, but woody is his groupie. Woodpecker is desperate for a friend or two, even if it has to be online.

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Let me stop you at the bold.    That's not what I'm doing.  This is a repeat offender.  He is being sentenced for this crime and additional for the previous ones compounding upon it.  We call that repeat behavior and those people tend to escalate said behavior - rather violently, I might add.   His own words indicate such.     I'm not defending it,  so much as the State of Iowa is the one that sought prosecution to the maximum sentencing.   Why not take up your beef with them?    

Prisons are overcrowded, especially with non-violent and misdemeanor type offenders.  Not multiple felons, but your footwork on the back peddle is good, just sink your hips a bit.

When this deft commits a crime deserving of a 16 year prison sentence he should get it and serve every day. Burning a gay flag is not that crime.

As of the defts and your experience, I really couldn't give a shit less about your story.     Remorse has and will always play a part in punishment for anything.   Be it a parent to a child or a judge and jury to a defendant. 

And as I posted this kind of remorse is absolutely meaningless. I had a guy on probation  for a hate crime and part of his punishment was to send the victim a letter telling him how sorry he was. Of course he sent the letter and wrote all the right words but that is just what they were empty words. He went to the counseling he was ordered to and did and said all the right things and completed his counseling successfully. He was eventually successfully released from probation but I highly doubt if he ever stopped being a bigot. I tried to work with him from a Christian angle that everyone should be treated as individuals and to be color blind. He listened but I don't believe on the inside he ever changed. Of course on paper he looked good having written the letter, and completing both counseling and probation. When it comes to true remorse actions will always speak louder than words.

Were we not singing the praises of remorse, forgiveness and Christ's love just a short time ago with that lady cop who shot the dude in his own apartment?   She got off rather light in the grand scheme of things, and a lot of that had to do at the behest of the victims family and her... wait for it... remorse.  

What spoke out in that case was not the defts remorse but the victim's brother's forgiveness. He went too far with forgiveness IMO  in that case because bible forgiveness does not relieve a person of either paying restitution or punishment for the crime. He wanted to see her escape punishment but she needed to be punished for criminal negligence at the least. 

Beyond all that, you still haven't answered my question as to why the author would leave out such CRITICAL information.   If the investigators, jury and judge required and used the information provided, why should not the reader have it?

The author did post the aggravating factors and linked his story to the original local paper. The point being the sentence was still absurd.

So either it is intentionally misleading, shodding reporting or outright bad investigation and journalism....?    Which of the three?  And if it is either of them, why continue to digest such poor offerings?   Would you frequent a restaurant that routinely got your order wrong and or poorly done?  I think not.     So why the persistence with bad writers?

The right point was made in the article. A 16 year prison sentence is absurd regardless.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Princess Tiamsies is .emotionally knee jerking.

so, the idiot flag-burner was a bigtime repeat defender, so "those people" are allowed to burn flags. If they are leftwing sombeitches. on and on it goes. Tiamsies, you say some of the stupidest things trying to be the alpha bird of a forum. even your mistakes on the football side. Stop your tantrum hissy fits attacking people personally or go away. We don't have a tantrum emotional knee jerk hissy fit forum for you and woodpecker.

I'll usually give Tiam an "A" on the football side. You as well Cal have excellent posts on the football side. 

• Upvote 1

woodpecker, you make yourself a victim. I didn't give you crap while you were gone, first post, you start it up with me.

You can't muster intelligent conversation about any subject. pretty pitiful.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Go on... ODB, give the full story on where the flag was and the guys history + background.  

Don't be Cal and drop a headline then run.  Command respect otherwise this penchant for whining without discussion just makes you look like another one of the effeminant males on this board... 

ODB?

OBF never ever posts a headline and runs. He posts a headline and lets the debate begin... to which he actively participates in.

Can't you libs for once give these kind of off the wall accusations a rest?

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Not a problem, friendo.

Nowhere in your little tirade does it mention what his multiple felonies actually were.  I tried doing a search, didn't come up with anything. You try this time.

You can argue that sources reporting these claims are almost as equally misleading as sources that omitted them. And the sources omitting his past were not all right wing sources. Got that Woody?

Did his repeat offenses include other instances of flag burning as well? Some sort of non-physical harassment, verbal, anti-gay graffiti perhaps?....or did he cause physical harm, destroyed property, or threaten harm..especially with a weapon?  Or a combination of both.

Most importantly, did he ever serve time before?

Too many unknowns about the details of his criminal past to have debate over whether or not 15yrs. was a just sentence or absurd imo.

3 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I didn’t know so many soft on crime liberals posted here. The guy is a repeat felon who stole someone else’s property and burned it. I wonder why you guys are so soft on repeat criminals when it comes to this case. 

the flag burner on the flip side was a repeat offender. THAT is the point. If burning a flag gets all those years, why does the other get little compared? Justice should be equal.  Under the law. Not a gay judge making a nut who burns a gay flag an object of extreme number of years in prison.

24 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the flag burner on the flip side was a repeat offender. THAT is the point. If burning a flag gets all those years, why does the other get little compared? Justice should be equal.  Under the law. Not a gay judge making a nut who burns a gay flag an object of extreme number of years in prison.

It isn’t even about the flag. Read into things more. Just try it sometime instead of just spazzing over a headline. He got the book thrown at him for a list of misdemeanors related to the theft of private property and the destruction there of after having a long life of being a felon piece of shit.

First you guys are commies wanting to steal the means of production and now you guys love felons. You guys voting Warren? 

51 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

It isn’t even about the flag. Read into things more. Just try it sometime instead of just spazzing over a headline. He got the book thrown at him for a list of misdemeanors related to the theft of private property and the destruction there of after having a long life of being a felon piece of shit.

First you guys are commies wanting to steal the means of production and now you guys love felons. You guys voting Warren? 

The bottom line is he tore down a gay flag and burned it and it was for that crime he gets 16 years prison. Enhancing a sentence because of priors is one thing but enhancing a flag burning offense into a 16 year prison sentence is way out of line anyway you slice it or dice it.