THE BROWNS BOARD

Corona Virus is in Cuyahoga County

MLD Woody

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Had an old friend who I was stationed with on Okinawa die yesterday morning.  He had just turned 67.  Not sure how he died, but lets just say he was a wild one back in the day.  Heard it from his daughter.  He had been living in central America for over 10 years and just moved to Florida.

Sorry you lost your friend. At A&M we have a tradition that started on Corregidor during WW II of all living Aggies there answering "Here" for dead fellow Aggies when muster was called. Every year on April 21 (Texas won Independence at San Jacinto) Aggies hold musters all around the world and answer "Here" when the names of dead friends are called. This April 21st I will be answering "Here" for my first college roommate LTC (Ret) Frank Baldwin, Jr. at the Williamson County Aggie Muster.. Another friend of mine will be answering "Here" for Jim Taylor, a mutual friend we both had in our Corps of Cadets company who also died last summer. It's one of the best traditions we have at A&M because it was given to us by The Greatest Generation who served in one of the worst places to survive in the War.

2 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-mortality-rates-covid-19-misleading-experts/story?id=69477312

Re: the diamond princess - perhaps the best study yet in terms of known cases vs deaths because it was a controlled environment

Screenshot_20200310-093444.png

So that is 6 so far. We will have to see how the "study" plays out over time. Same for the most recent one that docked in Oakland yesterday.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

PSA for you guys. Because of the Coronavirus many of those in Panic mode are asking others to work from home if possible. In that case this Patrick's Day I will be performing in my living room instead of driving to Medina on tap. It's for your own good. I will have a keg of Guinness in the kitchen. And we will have green face masks.

(just kidding. You guys should really all come out to the on tap in Medina)

WSS

20191222_071642.jpg

That sucks...I just bought a home in Medina but the moving company isn't coming until April.

How about a webcast? :) 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I guarantee you it's already been lurking around for a couple weeks. They just got their first damn test kit Thursday. 

The panicked overreaction to this is astounding. What's next? Walmart bum fights for toilet paper? Much as Trump is a clown and people are all over his "hunch" that the mortality rate is sub-1% he will be proven correct in time. 

Regarding the bold,  tell me about it. 

15 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

8% of the sickest individuals. They're still only testing the obviously sick and those who have been known to be in contact with them. South Korea has the best information available at the moment and the mortality rate is sub 1%

I agree with the above. That interview I posted in the other thread with Dr. Drew pretty much says the same. The mortality rate is going down because there initially was a huge pool of infected individuals who weren't diagnosed with the virus- they most likely thought they just had a cold or the flu.   

Sure, if you're really old with heart disease, lung problems, diabetes, on chemo and\or immuno compromised or other such chronic ailments- you're at serious increased risk of keeling over anyway from any contagious bug. 

The bad thing about this particular bug is it looks like it's highly contagious and easily spreadable. Please people chill out- even if you come down with it, the odds are great you're not gonna die. In fact, I think I'm going to get one of these, light one up, and have a nice glass of porto with it.... And calmly take in the hysteria :)   

Macanudo Petit Corona 5 × 38 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

And now the pussies and Cleveland have canceled the Saint Patrick's Day Parade.

Jaysus. 😷🙄🍺

WSS

Well, considering the circumstances that the virus is in your county and how the virus has primarily an airborne transmission route, it seems kind of a prudent move.

52 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Jbluh put up an excellent video on this.  It is more serious than people think.

Indeed it is. Although its not an "end of the world" disease that some people are making it out to be, it's also not going to go away with the end of normal flu season; the doctor in the JRE interview stated that we're still in the beginning stages of the pandemic and that this thing is being projected to run well into the summer. I've posted the full interview below:

It's actually quite sobering how woefully unprepared our government was for this outbreak, and frankly horrifying how much of our medical and pharmaceutical infrastructure is based overseas, especially China.

9 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Indeed it is. Although its not an "end of the world" disease that some people are making it out to be, it's also not going to go away with the end of normal flu season; the doctor in the JRE interview stated that we're still in the beginning stages of the pandemic and that this thing is being projected to run well into the summer. I've posted the full interview below:

It's actually quite sobering how woefully unprepared our government was for this outbreak, and frankly horrifying how much of our medical and pharmaceutical infrastructure is based overseas, especially China.

I've sort of change my stance too after more stuff is coming in from Italy. If it's really a 4% fatality rate, do the math. 100 million people infected (a not an unreasonable number) = 4 million deaths. (even a 1% fatality rate, and that's a million dead) China pharmaceuticals? Israel too- and that country is pretty much on lock down. Our Church just had their Pilgrimage cancelled this week.  To take it one step further on what Dr. Drew said about the homeless in California being at risk- just imagine the consequences if it shows up in the slums of India or other such ghettos in the world. 

I'd love to have an answer as to why these pandemics eventually subside.  

I pointed out in the other thread it's going to be mighty interesting what the response from the NCAA and CBS is going to be with March Madness right around the corner. That's hundreds of millions on the line. The First Four here in Dayton is a $5 million economic impact. Doubtless the games scheduled in Cleveland are way more than that.... 

32 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I've sort of change my stance too after more stuff is coming in from Italy. If it's really a 4% fatality rate, do the math. 100 million people infected (a not an unreasonable number) = 4 million deaths. (even a 1% fatality rate, and that's a million dead) China pharmaceuticals? Israel too- and that country is pretty much on lock down...

The doctor in the JRE interview stated that the CDC identified somewhere around 150ish drugs that were deemed as "life or death" essential to hospitals that are made solely in China. Most of our hospitals' masks and gloves and other equipment is made in China. Penicillin-type antibiotics are made solely in China now; the last US based manufacturer of them stopped in 2004. And China has already seized several outbound shipping containers full of medical supplies and confiscated them for their own use. It's pretty mind boggling how stupid multiple Democratic and Republican administrations did nothing while we were shipping our own medical manufacturing overseas.

32 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'd love to have an answer as to why these pandemics eventually subside...

That comes down to numerous possibilities. Although COVID-19 is a particular virulent strain of the flu, it is still an influenza virus. To be frank, the most likely way this pandemic will end is when enough people catch the virus, recover, and build enough of a natural immunity to it that their bodies kill the virus internally before they have a chance to spread it. Unfortunately, that only happens when a significant amount of the total population catches it.

Another possibility is that the virus mutates naturally into a less virulent form and slowly fades out. But, with that, there's also the possibility of it mutating into an even worse strain that it already is.

Bottom line, this thing isn't the end of the world, but it's going to be a rough couple of months ahead for everyone around the globe.

I don't know if anyone listened to the radio today infectious disease guy from University Hospitals was on the radio talking about the virus. I don't think he wanted to say specifically that people are crazy for freaking out but he did say very specifically that of the people that have died they have been in their 80s with serious other ailments similar to the people that died from the flu or any other infectious disease. He also said that, and this is how I took it, that unless we were freaking out the huge percentage of people that get this wouldn't even think it was a big deal. He did say that the symptoms for young people and healthy people of anything but Advanced age would probably mistake it for a cold. In other words not even to the level of regular flu symptoms.

My opinion stays as it did when we were freaking out about any other xxxx flu that turned out to be nothing in a month or two. I especially remember the E coli hyperventilation on Put-in-Bay just about killed our season and it was really nothing in the end. They had 800 hotline at assholes were calling saying they've been to the island and we're sick that turned out to have never even been there. Just hoping for a little settlement money.

I honestly believe the media is over blowing this first of all for ratings that come with a panic that they create and if it harms the Trump Administration they figure that's just icing on the cake. The Democrats on the other hand I'm sure are happy with making money from it but I think the fucking with Trump is at least as important if not more.

If I'm wrong and at the end of April we're walking the streets of Northeast Ohio like it was a Stephen King novel if any of you were still alive you could tell me I was wrong.

WSS

It’s being reported that the 4th person in Ohio has been diagnosed with the Corona virus, in Stark County.

The odd thing about this case, is the victim really didn’t travel anywhere.

Its got the doctors scratching their heads wondering where he contracted the bug.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't know if anyone listened to the radio today infectious disease guy from University Hospitals was on the radio talking about the virus. I don't think he wanted to say specifically that people are crazy for freaking out but he did say very specifically that of the people that have died they have been in their 80s with serious other ailments similar to the people that died from the flu or any other infectious disease. He also said that, and this is how I took it, that unless we were freaking out the huge percentage of people that get this wouldn't even think it was a big deal. He did say that the symptoms for young people and healthy people of anything but Advanced age would probably mistake it for a cold. In other words not even to the level of regular flu symptoms.

My opinion stays as it did when we were freaking out about any other xxxx flu that turned out to be nothing in a month or two. I especially remember the E coli hyperventilation on Put-in-Bay just about killed our season and it was really nothing in the end. They had 800 hotline at assholes were calling saying they've been to the island and we're sick that turned out to have never even been there. Just hoping for a little settlement money.

I honestly believe the media is over blowing this first of all for ratings that come with a panic that they create and if it harms the Trump Administration they figure that's just icing on the cake. The Democrats on the other hand I'm sure are happy with making money from it but I think the fucking with Trump is at least as important if not more.

If I'm wrong and at the end of April we're walking the streets of Northeast Ohio like it was a Stephen King novel if any of you were still alive you could tell me I was wrong.

WSS

And there just went the NCAA. It's to the point Steve- none of our "elected officials" want to take the chance of being accused of "not doing enough" to stop the spread of the virus. What's next- pseudo martial law like they're doing in Italy?  

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

It’s being reported that the 4th person in Ohio has been diagnosed with the Corona virus, in Stark County.

The odd thing about this case, is the victim really didn’t travel anywhere.

Its got the doctors scratching their heads wondering where he contracted the bug.

He got it from one of the many thousands of people who are already infected that are flying well under the radar. 

• Upvote 1