THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio Closes all Restaurants and Bars. Carry Out and Delivery Only

OldBrownsFan

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Sooner or later for cal it comes back around to "guns"...

your side started it -

Democrats call for national emergencies on guns and ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/democrats-call-for-national-emergencies-on-guns-and...

Democrats responded to President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency on Friday by calling for executive action on what they say are more pressing crises, including gun violence and ...

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Reducing fatalities is exactly what flattening the curve is about. I'm sure your wife, the nurse, can explain it to you.

We can approach keeping the affected employees whole with the bill awaiting Moscow Mitch to get back from his long weekend.

Maybe Ohio needs to build a wall... ;)

Tour, I worked in an inner city hospital lab for over 25 years. That's dealing with patient's blood who had every flavor of hepatitis and AIDS. I damn well know what were dealing with, and I sure as hell don't need a nurse to give me a heads up. I've mentioned several times my best friend co season ticket holder is a retired neurologist, so yeah- I have my opinion, which doesn't count. It's risk\reward Tour. Sorry if I feel the risks of this virus are way overstated by the epidemiologists. Seriously, if this was a new strain of Chinese bird flu A- do you think we'd be in a state of panic now? Great- let's report it on the front page over every new case detected. I'd bet the ranch more people have landed in emergency rooms for car accidents this past weekend than people coming down with corona virus. 

OK, granted we're going to save a few lives with these draconian measures. Also care to hazard a guess how many millions (assuming it goes national) restaurant and bar employees live paycheck to paycheck and are going to be sent up an economic shit creek without a paddle assuming this continues any length of time?  Already reported in the Dayton Daily, a bunch of small businesses probably will go belly up quickly with no cash flow.  So the whole thing will snowball out of control with a few million people with no money to spend on stuff like housing and food. 

If the Democrats were hoping for a big time recession to take down Trump- well, they're going to get their wish- in spades. 

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

So you'll listen to the opinion of a neurologist, but those who specialize in this - the epidemiologists.... Not so much? 

Makes sense.

I take my own counsel on this tia, and I don't totally agree with my doc pal.  :)  Yup- the epis are shitting their pants over this, and the government is listening to them. We'll see soon enough if this "flattens the curve".  For sure it flattened a couple million workers paychecks. I saw the bar & restaurant ban is going national. Hardly surprising the Dow is melting down. So far, the only thing that effects me is the weekend wine swills are gone, and I can't find any tomato soup to keep the wifey happy. Absolutely unprecedented, we're getting close to the country being shut down.  The people I've talked to on my shopping outings are far less concerned than the paranoids running the show. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'd bet the ranch more people have landed in emergency rooms for car accidents this past weekend than people coming down with corona virus. 

I'd take that bet if either of us had a ranch... ;)

30 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I take my own counsel on this tia, and I don't totally agree with my doc pal.  :)  Yup- the epis are shitting their pants over this, and the government is listening to them. We'll see soon enough if this "flattens the curve".  For sure it flattened a couple million workers paychecks. I saw the bar & restaurant ban is going national. Hardly surprising the Dow is melting down. So far, the only thing that effects me is the weekend wine swills are gone, and I can't find any tomato soup to keep the wifey happy. Absolutely unprecedented, we're getting close to the country being shut down.  The people I've talked to on my shopping outings are far less concerned than the paranoids running the show. 

So the general public is blissfully unaware and generally ignorant to the situation compared to the actual infectious disease experts? Well I guess we should just listen to the public on this one....

43 minutes ago, hoorta said:

We'll never really know "how much" it flattens the curve.  We can only go off projections.  

But if people keep dying, even if the rates don't increase (god willing) then that might be a good sign.

21 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If Ohio needs to take these drastic measures than shouldn't all the surrounding states of Ohio be taking similar measures? 

Looks like surrounding states are now taking similar measures. It didn't make sense to me why Ohio would be an island when there is no reason that Ohio would have a more severe problem with coronavirus than surrounding states.

https://kfor.com/news/list-states-that-have-closed-restaurants-and-bars-to-dine-in-customers/

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

So the general public is blissfully unaware and generally ignorant to the situation compared to the actual infectious disease experts? Well I guess we should just listen to the public on this one....

:) this is one individual in all humility who happens to have a better bead on this than anyone outside of the medical field, and probably better than a fair portion of those inside it.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

We'll never really know "how much" it flattens the curve.  We can only go off projections.  

But if people keep dying, even if the rates don't increase (god willing) then that might be a good sign.

Don't get me wrong- I'm well aware more folks are going to die from corona. When it's all said and done, we'll tote up the mortality rate and see if putting the country in a major recession essentially shutting near everything down was worth it. Sure looks like the fatalities we've seen so far are patients on the high hide of 80 with a bunch of underlying heath issues. Hmmmm..... Probably didn't exactly have a long life expectancy, virus or not. 

Yeah- when Ireland cancels St. Patrick's Day (a national holiday there) those bug counters are all on the same page world wide. 

Others have pointed out there's been flu pandemics with similar infection rates with deaths that far outstrip corona (ok, so far) that didn't entail shutting down everything in sight. 

35 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Cuyahoga county cases went up from 14 since yesterday:

Cuyahoga

Confirmed Coronavirus Cases: 24

Ohio:

50 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases

Source: Ohio Dept. Of Health

Updated: 3/16/20 2:13 p.m.

And that number is going to double every 24 to 36 hours at least.

here is what I think - The Dutch - about 17 million people.

America - over 327 million. 89 deaths.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dutch-coronavirus-infections-rise-188-130310439.html

CORRECTED-Dutch coronavirus infections rise by 190 to 804, deaths double to 10

I think their idea would be more appropriate for a common flu if they had to try it.

But obviously, the corona virus is a very different deal. Bad gamble.

USA 2.75% death rate

Dutch - 5.88%

that's percentage of population, unless I made an erroneous.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

is the quickest we've ever seen a 180 from certain posters on here?

usually it takes an administration change (and a letter change) for a complete reversal on something like this

where did "corona bologna" go? chirp chirp squawk chirp squawk, chirp chirp

"corona balogna" was a reference to the bs of how china lied about the corona virus, tried to cover their arses, quelched (terminated?) whistleblowers, and let it spread all over the globe.

I think their lies and denials are bologna, which is the proper spelling. Having suspected most of this time that

it escaped from the wuhan biogerm lab, it's hardly accurate to intentionally try to say it means the virus was joke. People were dying.

16 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:
24 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dutch-coronavirus-infections-rise-188-130310439.html

I think their idea would be more appropriate for a common flu if they had to try it.

USA 2.75% death rate

Dutch - 5.88%

USA 2.75% death rate

Dutch - 5.88%

I would agree. The only reason I thought maybe at first I was thinking of what the Dutch are doing as comparable to drinking a cup of bad tasting medicine. Maybe it would be better to gulp it down quickly versus sipping it. Short term pain for long term gain. I think you are right though there are not going to be any simpler fixes here. 

5 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Looks like surrounding states are now taking similar measures. It didn't make sense to me why Ohio would be an island when there is no reason that Ohio would have a more severe problem with coronavirus than surrounding states.

https://kfor.com/news/list-states-that-have-closed-restaurants-and-bars-to-dine-in-customers/

I think Mike DeWine's administration saw what was going on in states like Washington and wanted to get ahead of this thing before it got potentially worse. The moves were a bit draconian, but correct ones to make.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:31 PM, hoorta said:

...We can shut down the whole fucking country and tell everyone to stay home for three weeks. Guess what? The goddamm virus isn't going to magically go away in the meantime. so- flattening the curve isn't going to do jack shit as far as the eventual number of fatalities is concerned. . The "elderly" and  at risk folks that are gonna die, are gonna die regardless of whatever the fucking hell the paranoids decide we need to do...

Trying to "flatten the curve" is logical for several reasons. First, this strategy isn't designed to completely stop the spread of the virus; that's probably an impossibility at this point. It's main purpose is to slow the spread down enough so that our medical and emergency systems aren't overwhelmed all at once. If we didn't have quarantines and social distancing measures in place, the spread of the virus would be much faster and more severe. This thing seems to be growing exponentially, so the best strategy we have is to limit the rate at which it spreads.

Call your doctor:  If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice.

Watch for symptoms

Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.

The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.*

• Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath

*This is based on what has been seen previously as the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses.

Symptoms fever.

Symptoms cough.

symptoms shortness of breath

alert icon

If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:

• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
  • New confusion or inability to arouse
  • Bluish lips or face

*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.