THE BROWNS BOARD

Bought a new survival item this week

calfoxwc

We've been talking about it for a long while - needed a new one, but they are so expensive to buy new.

But with the hard times our country has been going through, we decided for our safety we'd buy one.

Had a lot of miles on our other old one, well past 100,000 miles....but decided to trade in our F-150 and buy the Wife a new car.

We don't need "my" beautiful pickup truck anymore, and I'm not talented enough to be a country music star, so it is what it is.

Got a nice trade in, bought a nearly brand new never titled Escape. Wife loved it before she drove it - it's a very fancy upgrade - was a dealer loaner. Technically "used", with 5000 miles. We maneuvered an extra 1000 bucks on the trade in. All in all, a great deal on a car that only lacks a sunroof which would have been cool....and the auto parallel parking which we did NOT want, from being top of the line. Heated seats, rear camera, gps, lane change drift warning option...power seats/windows, ...

anyways, we were the first customers this dealership had all morning and afternoon. I first went in with a mask and nitrile gloves to be safe.

Found out the manager there has an expensive professional sterilizer team come in in the morning and just as they close every single day. They are a very respected dealership with generations of history. Sanitizer was there as soon as you came in the door, blue tape on the floor by the desks to remind everyone to keep their distant and spray bottles at the desks to spray off the desks and pens after all the signing of papers were done. No hand shaking after the deal, lots of hand waving instead.

So, it worked out great. Needed a cool car to travel in - can't wait til all this is over. Want to go out west, camp in Kentucky/Tenn, take a trip to Texas and flying is OUT for a couple of years, I think. They paid half to put a new bumper hitch on it for our canoe.

A new car would have cost us twice what we financed. Can't pass up on a deal like that. And the sticker price was a lot more than the special internet price. Customers rate this dealership a 5 stars out of 5.

We added 12 bucks to our payment, which is really low, for 8 years of bumper to bumper coverage on everything.

Well, when you get lemons, you make lemonade, right?

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Congrats on the ‘new’ car.

thanks for keeping the economy going!

You betcha. I think DH's "new pickup" probably gets about 5-6 mpg.

I've had a poor taste in my mouth with Ford over the last.... 8 or so years.   That having been said, I hope and trust your ride works out well.    Just keep an eye on the tranny.

Friend of mine has one and the weirdest electrical shit happens on occasion with that damn thing.  For example, had to disconnect the battery and re-connect it to get the blue tooth sync to work.     I guess the older I get the more I realize I prefer a "cut down" vehicle...?   Not too many features because it just ends up being more shit that can go wrong.   And I like doing as much of my own maintenance as possible.

Either way, it's hard to pass up a good deal.  So that's some solid hunting you pulled off.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

You betcha. I think DH's "new pickup" probably gets about 5-6 mpg.

Ha- back in the old days my boss told me he had a Pontiac with triple deuce carburetors- and said he about could see the gas gauge going down when he was towing a boat, probably in that same range....  

Fortunately, back in the 60s gas was around 35 cents a gallon. But with my Kroger loyalty discount, my next fill up will be in the 69 cent a gallon range. At least that's one thing to be thankful for with this lock down.... 

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

We added 12 bucks to our payment, which is really low, for 8 years of bumper to bumper coverage on everything.

Yeah, I did 10yrs bumper to bumper on my Chevy Pickup.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I've had a poor taste in my mouth with Ford over the last.... 8 or so years.   That having been said, I hope and trust your ride works out well.    Just keep an eye on the tranny.

Friend of mine has one and the weirdest electrical shit happens on occasion with that damn thing.  For example, had to disconnect the battery and re-connect it to get the blue tooth sync to work.     I guess the older I get the more I realize I prefer a "cut down" vehicle...?   Not too many features because it just ends up being more shit that can go wrong.   And I like doing as much of my own maintenance as possible.

Either way, it's hard to pass up a good deal.  So that's some solid hunting you pulled off.

Thanks ! We are both old school, even though my Wife is a genius, ...dammit.... He told us about the features - really hi tech - and she knows how to do it all. I'm like...."how the hell does she do that?" LoL

We got that 7 yr bumper to bumper if anything goes wrong extended for 8 yrs... or 100,000 miles I think it was, and it didn't add much to our low payment. It was time to make a deal.

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

My sister and one of my friends had Escapes. They liked them a lot. 

we kept our old one - has that 119,000 miles on it , too many miles to ride cross country and not have

something go wrong. We're covered now.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ha- back in the old days my boss told me he had a Pontiac with triple deuce carburetors- and said he about could see the gas gauge going down when he was towing a boat, probably in that same range....  

Fortunately, back in the 60s gas was around 35 cents a gallon. But with my Kroger loyalty discount, my next fill up will be in the 69 cent a gallon range. At least that's one thing to be thankful for with this lock down.... 

LOL. I remember the old gas wars - gas was actually down to 24 cents a gallon. "23.9" lol

I had a '66 Chevy Belaire 4 door, metallic maroon, 250 six, 3 on the column...oh, I wish I still had that car. At least I should have kept the engine. I ran it for about 90,000 miles, the engine was awesome, but the shock mounts rusted out. Too bad.

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Yeah, I did 10yrs bumper to bumper on my Chevy Pickup.

Yeah, the electronics are amazing. But if something goes wrong, the cost to fix is high. We actually researched a Ford Connect "mini-van" to make into a camper, but it wouldn't fit into the garage, and was way, way more expensive. A friend who has two for his business says they are fine for his business, but traveling in one wouldn't be his choice.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

We've been talking about it for a long while - needed a new one, but they are so expensive to buy new.

But with the hard times our country has been going through, we decided for our safety we'd buy one.

Had a lot of miles on our other old one, well past 100,000 miles....but decided to trade in our F-150 and buy the Wife a new car.

We don't need "my" beautiful pickup truck anymore, and I'm not talented enough to be a country music star, so it is what it is.

Got a nice trade in, bought a nearly brand new never titled Escape.

You'll like it a lot. My son still has our 2008 Escape with automatic AWD. But it cost me about $4000 to put in a new transmission at about 130,000 miles. But the V-6 still runs well though. 180,000+ and counting.

But the 2018 Subaru Outback I got for my wife to replace it is even better. Has better pickup in the 4 cy. than the Escape with the V-6 and that is not with a turbo either. I think the new Escape is probably just as good. So many improvements, especially in safety things like blind spot assist, lane keeping assist, rear cross traffic warning, backup cameras and such.

I'm still looking for the gun mounting locations though.🤠

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You'll like it a lot. My son still has our 2008 Escape with automatic AWD. But it cost me about $4000 to put in a new transmission at about 130,000 miles. But the V-6 still runs well though. 180,000+ and counting.

But the 2018 Subaru Outback I got for my wife to replace it is even better. Has better pickup in the 4 cy. than the Escape with the V-6 and that is not with a turbo either. I think the new Escape is probably just as good. So many improvements, especially in safety things like blind spot assist, lane keeping assist, rear cross traffic warning, backup cameras and such.

I'm still looking for the gun mounting locations though.🤠

yep, we have the blind spot jobbie, lane keeping assist (you can press the button to turn it on) etc....it's impressive. The old one has the v-6 - it runs excellent, but the new 4cyl eco boost, I punched it a little in the parking lot, and it took off. Amazing. And she loves it. We're good.

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

yep, we have the blind spot jobbie, lane keeping assist (you can press the button to turn it on) etc....it's impressive.

Grandkids think it's funny when ole Gramp takes his hands off the steering wheel and the damn think just corrects itself to stay in lanes. It yells at me with a warning light to put my hands back on it though LOL!😱

1 minute ago, Axe said:

I'll never own another 4 cyl

I used to say that, but it gets great reviews. wouldn't get a 4 Chevy or dodge, though. This one has a button where if you are stuck in traffic, it will put the engine in quiet mode to save gas. A Toyota Highlander has that, but it does it every stop light. I find that annoying.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Axe said:

I'll never own another 4 cyl

LOL! I bet if you tried the 4 cy turbo on my car you'd change that tune. I have to set the damn cruise control or it's doing 100 mph without me even realizing it.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! I bet if you tried the 4 cy turbo on my car you'd change that tune. I have to set the damn cruise control or it's doing 100 mph without me even realizing it.

1) I can't get into most cars without a fucking shoe horn ;)

2) I call em creepers. We had 2 Infinity G35-37 coups back to back. I set my sights on 80mph on interstates and both of those and the G80 will creep to over 100mph without any discernable difference in sound or ride change

Here's the truth - on the way home, she asked me what speed I though we were going without looking, and I guess 45-50. We were doing 70. She drove us out to the lake, and I was adjusting the stereo fade, and looked down and saw a little wifi or fade adjustment thing on the console - it had little circles on it which means sound or internet waves emanating, and in the parking she drove very slowly over a speed bump, and I went to adjust the fade, or check the wifi whatever and moved it a bit.

The new car hesitated on top of the speed bump and bounced and we were like "what the HECK was that?" I told her all I did was try to adjust the stereo fade and find out about what it does do...and she says "that's the electronic emergency brake. Stop messing with stuff."

Luckily, I only bumped and it went back off.

I'm old school.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and she says "that's the electronic emergency brake. Stop messing with stuff."

I'm old school.

Yep-back in the olden days the emergency braking was putting your hands on the dash just before impact since there were no seatbelts.😬

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, calfoxwc said:

anyways, we were the first customers this dealership had all morning and afternoon. I first went in with a mask and nitrile gloves to be safe.

Found out the manager there has an expensive professional sterilizer team come in in the morning and just as they close every single day. They are a very respected dealership with generations of history. Sanitizer was there as soon as you came in the door, blue tape on the floor by the desks to remind everyone to keep their distant and spray bottles at the desks to spray off the desks and pens after all the signing of papers were done. No hand shaking after the deal, lots of hand waving instead.

Flashback to a couple minutes before the purchase...  Congrats Cal!

image.png.9a8c5e3004cc97d9acd6f76e104ba753.png

• Haha 1

Speaking of "survival items"... gotta have lawnmowing like a nascar race. A necessary thing. had to get the lawnmower fixed. Wife wanted to mow lawn because it was beautiful outside.

Starter would hit for a second, and stop and whine. I charged the battery, etc etc. Nothing.It would hit the starter hard, and immediately stop. I call the dealer, 40 min away, took it in.Three weeks backed up, but if it was only the starter, he'd do it asap, it was under warranty.

Got there, unloaded, he came out, tried it, did the same thing. He looked at it and raised the hood.Push hard on the top of the engine, and turned the motor over a little bit at a time.Turned the key, took right off. I'm standing there, he nods at us, puts the hood down, it just starts up every time.

No charge. I'm standing there analyzing the situation, to see if I am embarrassed, or just po'd at that lawn mower. If I HAD knee jerked, I would have taken a hammer to it. But, I'm no liberal.  lol

Turns out, it was a khoeler sp? engine, ...rarely, but once in a while, it will turn off exactly at the the peak of the compression cycle.And, normally, a switch decompresses so it will turn over and start. except this time, there was no where for it to go. It was at the top, and the switch doesn't activate then.  Got home, went fishing. Pulled out onto the road, Wife says she thinks we need to pull over. Didn't check license plates on the trailer. Expired in dec. We call the BMV, closed in the middle of the day. We go fishing, figuring that in the rare chance we get pulled over, they will understand our dilemma.  Out on the lake, it was really, really busy. Nobody was catching a fish. After a while, a cold wind started roaring up, and we decided to go home.

The honor saving tactic, is when you don't catch any fish, you simply blame it on the fact that a cold front is moving in. And, eventually, there is always a cold front somewhere sometime going to move in.

Got home, a friend texted and said they left us a plate of cookies on our porch, but we weren't home. A neighbor says the UPS guy delivered our package, and figured the cookies were for him, waved at our house and left with the cookies.

lol. That's just funny. Hope it makes his day. Except I wonder what kind they were....

BTW, last night, a near tornado came through, never touched down. Neighbors were calling each other, texting, sometime after 11 pm, til about 12. All of us were in our basements. Tonight, more rain.

Everybody stay safe.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Speaking of "survival items"... gotta have lawnmowing like a nascar race. A necessary thing. had to get the lawnmower fixed. Wife wanted to mow lawn because it was beautiful outside.

I'm standing there analyzing the situation, to see if I am embarrassed, or just po'd at that lawn mower. If I HAD knee jerked, I would have taken a hammer to it. But, I'm no liberal.  lol Turns out, it was a khoeler sp? engine

Got home, a friend texted and said they left us a plate of cookies on our porch, but we weren't home. A neighbor says the UPS guy delivered our package, and figured the cookies were for him, waved at our house and left with the cookies. lol. That's just funny. Hope it makes his day. Except I wonder what kind they were....

Everybody stay safe.

Man, I hit the deck on that cookie story.

And I think I gotta send the Warden to your workshop on how to get your loving spoonful interested in  taking care of the lawn.

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Man, I hit the deck on that cookie story.

And I think I gotta send the Warden to your workshop on how to get your loving spoonful interested in  taking care of the lawn.

LOL !  I keep teasing her, she drives so fast some of the grass doesn't get cut even around turns, and she always turns left like a Nascar driver. Never one boring second all these years....