THE BROWNS BOARD

Virus models very inaccurate

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Wait, it's science..... !

Check it out folks...from CNN

I called it a couple weeks ago ...when I had said that when this is over we rational folks are gonna say "we told you so" and you leftist fear monger's are gonna claim the low death rate is because of social distancing. Riiiiiiight.

Top public health official says number of dead could be lower as Americans practice social distancing

A source close to the task force said it's possible the eventual death toll will be "way under" the 100,000-to-240,000 figure.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/white-house-coronavirus-death-projections/index.html

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

An opinion piece that moves into some climate change denier territory

The important take away is that the press will report more clickable numbers and people that don't know what they're looking at will eat it up. This doesn't discredit computer models or their purpose (or even their accuracy). It's just another example of taking the headline without the details or an understanding of the story and rolling with it 

I wonder what's to be gained by exaggerating the effects? John Prine also just recently cancelled a tour because of heart surgery and near the end of March was also diagnosed with double pneumonia.

WSS

If someone has pneumonia but is expected to survive, but then gets Corona and dies, what is the cause of death?

What if someone has an underlying condition, like obesity, that is affecting their lifespan. Let's say they were going to die in 10 years. But they get Corona and die?

I wonder what's to be gained by exaggerating the effects? John Prine also just recently cancelled a tour because of heart surgery and near the end of March was also diagnosed with double pneumonia.

WSS

He had/has lung cancer too. Throat cancer.  In and out of hospitals since the mid 90's. He was a mess.

25 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

If someone has pneumonia but is expected to survive, but then gets Corona and dies, what is the cause of death?

What if someone has an underlying condition, like obesity, that is affecting their lifespan. Let's say they were going to die in 10 years. But they get Corona and die?

Who knows but furthermore what's the difference? Lots of people die of pneumonia.

Like deaths on the highway, whether or not a driver's level of intoxication contributed to the accident it's going to be labeled a Drunk Driving death. I would imagine that a great number of people who died with influenza also have contributing factors but in the end is called an influenza death. There's always a what if but I don't see why that's a deal-breaker one way or the other?

WSS

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I see your point but that's kind of extreme I think.

Corona kills the fat guy for sure but obesity isn't considered a pre-existing condition is it?

Yes Corona is what finally did these elderly sick people in,  but I think the objective here is for us to keep in mind Corona is not an indiscriminate killer.

1 minute ago, Gorka said:

I see your point but that's kind of extreme I think.

Corona kills the fat guy for sure but obesity isn't considered a pre-existing condition is it?

Yes Corona is what finally did these elderly sick people in,  but I think the objective here is for us to keep in mind Corona is not an indiscriminate killer.

In some cases it isn't, and some it is. If it is 51% or more of the reason someone died should it count as Corona?

And honestly idk about obesity. Does that count as a pre-existing condition? 

58 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

In some cases it isn't, and some it is. If it is 51% or more of the reason someone died should it count as Corona?

And honestly idk about obesity. Does that count as a pre-existing condition? 

No. Just looked it up.

Different preexisting conditions — including heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and kidney disease — were found at varying rates among the patients who have died.

Remember how Italy is being hit hard.

Italy also reports about half of people who died with COVID-19 had three or more underlying conditions, while just 2% of deaths were in people with no preexisting ailments.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/age-risk-severe-coronavirus-disease-69860317

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

No. Just looked it up.

Different preexisting conditions — including heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and kidney disease — were found at varying rates among the patients who have died.

Remember how Italy is being hit hard.

Italy also reports about half of people who died with COVID-19 had three or more underlying conditions, while just 2% of deaths were in people with no preexisting ailments.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/age-risk-severe-coronavirus-disease-69860317

Right but what percentage of the population at large already has multiple pre existing conditions? How many people have 0 pre-existing conditions? I'm a healthy guy in his twenties but I have asthma. I imagine that counts.

Without knowing the population numbers as a whole regarding pre-existing conditions that stat above doesn't help us.

And then you could have diabetes and high blood pressure but expect to live another twenty years. Shouldn't Corona virus be listed as the cause of death?

38 minutes ago, Gorka said:

No it's really not clear.

The models as wrong as they were always have taken into account social distancing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

It is though because it's the relative difference between two models showing different levels of social distancing that's important

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

An opinion piece that moves into some climate change denier territory

How so?  *Questioning the input data of any given model makes you a "denier"?*  Well that's lazy terminology at best.

*-Not a direct quote from Woody.  Implied only.

19 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

How many deaths that are normally attributed to seasonal flu, will now be credited as a Covid 19 statistic?

I presume they would have to test positive for covid to count.  If you have a combo of the two, you almost certainly will contribute to the covid death stats.

28 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

How many deaths that are normally attributed to seasonal flu, will now be credited as a Covid 19 statistic?

Conversely, since many believe this disease has been here for longer than we initially believe and it was an exceptionally bad flu season - how many deaths attributed to flu may have been covid? 

Door swings both ways.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gorka said:

No it's really not clear.

The models as wrong as they were always have taken into account social distancing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

In the link provided they discussed the percentage of people distancing. The smaller the % the worse the outcome.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Conversely, since many believe this disease has been here for longer than we initially believe and it was an exceptionally bad flu season - how many deaths attributed to flu may have been covid? 

Door swings both ways.

When you compare the number of deaths...that’s a very large door for seasonal flu.