THE BROWNS BOARD

That 10th pick

darren15

54 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I agree with this logic. But there is no way that all 5 of those guys are graded/valued as a 10th overall pick.

I agree with you - but sometimes you are between a rock and a hard place. It's just me - I think Andrew Thomas is that excellent, and is a not worry about him starting- LT from day one.

But, there's demand inflation - and all sorts of teams need LT's to protect their qb's. It's a premium position.

To me, the guy you take in the top ten has to be a dramatic immediate addition and a starter from day one.

Of the top five, I don't see Becton or Wirfs starting at left tackle. Wills - I suppose it would take time to adapt to playing on the left side...isn't as agile, to me anyways, as Thomas and Jones.

Wirfs is amazing, but had an OWI in 2018 -  subject as part of an interview maybe....

and Josh Jones, LT ? I think he will be a lot like Thomas,  but he'd need more coaching and a strong work ethic, which he has.

It's just that trading down - I would lose Jones for sure, now.

The big question, to me....what if...Derrick Brown or Simmons falls to the Browns at ten?

If I had to decide for a team, could I draft a LT instead of Derrick Brown? In a draft deep in left tackles?

If I drafted Derrick Brown, probably All-pro... could I depend on the backup pick at LT to still be there at ten in the second round?

If the Giants don't pick with their #4 pick, would they nab the second LT I wanted? Bartch ? Peart? would they be there in the third? probably not?

LOL.

This draft is going to be fascinating crazy.

Maybe Canton Mike should rent a big screen TV out in his backyard, and we could all wear masks and sit six feet apart outside.

Hebrew national hotdogs and root beer during the NFL draft first round rocks ! lol

I'll have to go buy my own, have me at home...but that's ok.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Becton might be there at #10. Isn't he the least experienced LT?

I like Simmons. If he's there I'd take him. Same with Jeudy.

I know it isn't a need TODAY, but man I'd love to add Jeudy. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know it isn't a need TODAY, but man I'd love to add Jeudy. 

I would immediately refer to him as Judge, serving up justice in the end zone.

In this scenario l would opt for Jeff Okudah. Then l would make him strip for Playgirl or something so we could have...

Bare Okudah

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

In this scenario l would opt for Jeff Okudah. Then l would make him strip for Playgirl or something so we could have...

Bare Okudah

I really hope the Browns find their long-term answer at LT in Round 1. I hope he has a long, productive career.

But I don't want them to force it, and miss on a superior player at another position. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Wrong chart... DePo just rapped you on the knuckles with his sliderule...

lol,  I did a quick Google, it's the 2020 draft chart.  Of course, Berry assigns his own values.  And in reality, what does a chart even mean on the day of the draft?  All bets are off when making deals during the draft.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Bare Okudah

2 minutes ago, darren15 said:

If we signed Lamb we could have him trained one on one by Webster ...then we would be accused of sending a lamb to the slaughter ....

LOL ~ That is some great funny stuff right there !

Gotta factor in Wirfs' measurements at the combine were much better than expected - he'll go ahead of Thomas/Wills even though tape might not suggest that. So it's actually very possible that both Thomas and Wills will still be around.

Of course Charlie thinks Simmons will still be around - and if he's not called, that trumps all.

Without Simmons I think it's Wills at LT.

Note that Charlie actually thinks it's Simmons then OG, S, and finally OT.

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Exactly the type of decision making that have landed GMs on the unemployment line.

”rock solid”.  I think you have good Tackle prospects and in most drafts probably 3/4 of these guys are first round material.  This is probably the year where you trade back unless you need a QB or land a guy like Okudah or Chase Young 

This is not a top heavy draft IMO.

Young and and Oku long gone by pick 10. Take best LT and call it a night. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 5:50 PM, darren15 said:

If these were all the options at 10 what would you do .......

ANDREW THOMAS

TRISTAN WIRFS

MEKHI BECTON

JEDRICK WILLS

JEFFREY OKUDAH ( FALLS TO 10)

ISAIAH SIMMONS ( FALLS TO 10)

ONE OF THE ELITE 3 WIDE RECEIVERS, JEUDY, RUGGS OR LAMB

DERRICK BROWN

TRADE DOWN FOR JOSH JONES AND ACQUIRE MORE PICKS

Simmons. He’s made for today’s NFL and gives Lamar Jackson a headache 

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, The Gipper said:

Interesting.  Did not know that the inventor of that worked for the Browns.  Can we assume that  Depo/Berry are more on board with this chart than the Jimmy Johnson chart? 

Or, do they bother with any of that?   (I guess they would have to bother with it IF  the parties with which they are trying to make a trade insist on adhering...to either system.)

First have to stress that these are guides or valuing picks relative to one another in a vacuum. They are a starting point.

My guess is that he/we have refined Meers' original work annually based upon the additional AV data generated by every season. I'd also imagine that more recent data has been weighted more heavily than the earliest used in his original work from 1980 thru 2005.

Which chart I'd favor would depend upon the direction I am trading (up or down). If moving up, then clearly I want to lean on the Harvard chart. If moving down, then I want to extract as close to the Jimmie Johnson chart price that I can. Early on in the Sashi era, he came close to following this approach. It did not make him popular with other GMs.

Then of course there's:

• the absolute height of the top pick to be involved in any deal, e.g., #1 overall vs. a mid-6th,
  • the prospect being targeted, and
  • the amount and intensity of the competition for the targeted pick.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Bare Okudah

Oh...

My Heart...

On 4/12/2020 at 11:59 AM, calfoxwc said:

Maybe Canton Mike should rent a big screen TV out in his backyard, and we could all wear masks and sit six feet apart outside.

Hebrew national hotdogs and root beer during the NFL draft first round rocks !

The part in bold gives us a couple more reasons to sit at least 6 feet apart.  Woody's a pretty good sport that would probably be willing to sit downwind from you at Canton Mike's Drive-In theater.

• Haha 2