THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Chubb - emerges as leader, inspiration

calfoxwc

On 5/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, mjp28 said:

Nick Chubb if things work out right and he stays healthy the next Jim Brown.  Class act and maybe more talented than #32.

Chubb is very easy to root for.  There are a lot of similarities between the 2 guys. But, the 1 thing that stands about Jim Brown in accordance with all those that played with him or against him(as well as those that coached him or against him) - he was the best RB in the league.  Meatball on spaghetti, most of those guys also thought he was the best player in the game throughout that period.

Similarities I see is they both came from college programs that were establishing strong RB traditions. SU had Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Floyd Little, Joe Morris, Moose Johnston, etc.  UGA had Herschel Walker, Garrison Hearst, Terrell Davis, Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, etc. 

They both lettered in different sports before Pro Football.  The program at SU that has their most National Championships is their Lacrosse Program while it's Basketball Program was known for it's consistency of winning.  Jim Brown played basketball, football, lacrosse and track there - earning 10 letters in 4 years.  While he was best known for his football heroics on a national level, many people at SU that he was even more dominant at lacrosse (All American Midfielder (Center) - that never lost face offs and finished 2nd in the nation with 43 goals in only 10 games as a senior. He told the NY Times in 1984 "Lacrosse is probably the best sport I ever played."  Although not as well rounded, Chubb starred in football as well as track and field.  In high school, Chubb excelled in events like the shot put, 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash.  He was a state champion in the shot put while he competed in the state finals for the 100 meter dash.  The SEC first learned who he was when Todd Gurley got suspended.  In just 8 starts, Chubb finished with 1547 yards rushing and 14 TDs which was good enough for 2nd overall in the SEC. He also had 18 receptions for 213 yards and 2 TDs

My favorite quality of Chubb aside from his work ethic and talent - is the ability to refrain from the "I before team" mentality. This distraction-free quality is often displayed by his ability to remain quiet regardless of how talented he is.  He doesn't have to act like TO (MeO) and remind the entire crowd at the stadium he just scored a TD all by himself without any help from his teammates.  He's a hungry feller with an insatiable appetite to improve.  That's a leadership quality Baker Mayfield should take note of. Being content with yesterday does nothing for your tomorrow.  Jim Brown was like Chubb too when he scored regardless of how remarkable the run was. He just handed the ball to the official. If my memory is correct, Jim Brown also never missed a start because of injury in spite of how many times he faced 9-10 men in the box. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:09 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Well, if you want to get the "biggest bang for your buck" I'd suggest Baker or Garrett. Unless Baker has another poor year, or Garrett decapitates a Steelers player this year, they'll probably be here for the long haul.

Landry, OBJ and Chubb? I wouldn't put money on these three guys being here in three years. (And I just bought a Chubb jersey knowing this.)

I stopped buying jerseys after the following trend.

I bought a Tim Couch jersey and he ended up on IR.

I bought a William Green jersey; and then he got stabbed by his girlfriend/fiance right before he got suspended for drug use.

On the opening day of training camp, at the end of my ride from Rochester, NY for the afternoon practice- I was in the store to buy a LeCharles Bentley jersey when Atenears (Stan) met up with us there.  I thought he was busting my chops when he said - Flugel you might want to buy another jersey because the Bentley ain't gettin out of the garage this season.  ARRRGGGGHHHHH!

I brought Braylon Edwards' jersey right before Cleveland played in Nashville; and he turned into Edward Scissorhands.  Unfortunately, it had his name on the upper back or I could have kept the 17 in honor of Brian Sipe.

Do they sell jerseys without names on the upper back any more?  If so, I'd buy a #34 (Greg Pruitt and Kevin Mack) and 73 (Joe Thomas and Doug Dieken).

I ended up donating most of those jerseys to people in need.

I gotta go - the R-Wing has a sale on Trump jerseys...

• Haha 3

Just now, Flugel said:

I bought a William Green jersey; and then he got stabbed by his girlfriend/fiance right before he got suspended for drug use.

On the opening day of training camp, at the end of my ride from Rochester, NY for the afternoon practice- I was in the store to buy a LeCharles Bentley jersey when Atenears (Stan) met up with us there.  I thought he was busting my chops when he said - Flugel you might want to buy another jersey because the Bentley ain't gettin out of the garage this season.  ARRRGGGGHHHHH!

I brought Braylon Edwards' jersey right before Cleveland played in Nashville; and he turned into Edward Scissorhands.  Unfortunately, it had his name on the upper back or I could have kept the 17 in honor of Brian Sipe.

Do they sell jerseys without names on the upper back any more?  If so, I'd buy a #34 (Greg Pruitt and Kevin Mack) and 73 (Joe Thomas and Doug Dieken).

That is a brutal run of bad luck on Browns jerseys!

I seriously considered going old school and getting a 50s or 60s era player, but some players you could not personalize the jersey with (Otto Graham) for example. Also, for the same price, I got a Nick Chubb jersey with stitched numbers and name, instead of a personalized jersey with iron on numbers and name, which is no bueno for me. 

Greatest post-ending line ever, btw. 😀

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

True, they aren't comparable, because the times and players are different. JB gave all the credit to his offensive line. The Browns offensive line is not as good as back in the day, the players didn't face the sophisticated defenses with the huge sized, athletic front sevens as they do today. All three - Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell and my favorite rb from back in the day, Leroy Kelly - were all Hall of Famers behind excellent offensive lines. Gene Hickerson !

But though it's an invalid comparison, it is also false to say Chubb isn't as great as Jim Brown was.

That is just the point.  It's sometimes hard if not impossible to compare across decades.

What would Chubb been like on the old BROWNS teams or JB today ?

Who were the best teams ever 72 Miami, 85 Bears or maybe Pittsburgh, SF, GB, Dallas, NE in they're heydays ?  Impossible to say for sure.         

And remember just like the fish we caught, players we remember or teams we followed they just get better with time.    :D

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

That is a brutal run of bad luck on Browns jerseys!

I seriously considered going old school and getting a 50s or 60s era player, but some players you could not personalize the jersey with (Otto Graham) for example. Also, for the same price, I got a Nick Chubb jersey with stitched numbers and name, instead of a personalized jersey with iron on numbers and name, which is no bueno for me. 

Greatest post-ending line ever, btw. 😀

You never can go wrong with vintage jerseys just pick your favorite HOF or team player guy like the 1980s, 1970s, 1960s, 1950s BROWNS key players.

Or if you want to save money the man-zel et al bargain rack.

And yes Flugel was on a roll.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nick Chubb may not even be the best RB in the NFL TODAY, but he's possibly better than Jim Brown? 

And I thought there was some silly stuff on Facebook today. 🤪

I'm just comparing raw talent not career numbers.  Chubb is amazing at times.

........oh is this hole deep enough ?

• Haha 1

The Browns had holes in talent at LT, RT, and RG. Now... the stats are not going to show Chubb to be the best rb in

the NFL.

It doesn't mean he isn't the best rb in the NFL. Again, even Jim Brown gave his offensive line all the credit in the world.

Interesting:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/28/17514858/finding-the-best-offensive-line-in-history-a-research-study

Note - the Browns offensive line hasn't been "great", per this author's opinions, since that time in history - see number 4 towards the top of the list.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Flugel said,

In today's times...this is a f'n ^^ Golden wrap-up of a post 🤣 ....Maybe it's time, Zombo chooses a 'Post of the Month' and puts into The Board of Champions?? not a easy choice on this board 

^^ Why of course they do.. Called Personalized..After a sister's gift failure of Wee-done & the Man-hell (once white, than dye'd a St. Patrick's Day green, for the green beer spillage) jerseys..I gave in & ordered a white #73 personalized, with the only GUMBY name on it, in any State...

The opening season of Metlife stadium, week 5or6?, Weeden & Richardson played at the Giants.. Tailgating in the Gumby jersey. We had a blast tossing the ball around with some Giants fans on our Wedding Anniversary.. Well after 'she' tells the wrong team the play call of 'Anniversary'           

The chant becomes     "Get the Wife a POKEY Jersey !! >>> :wub:   we share this special gift 🎁 once a year, as the wife took a phone video with my phone that gets played every year 🏈 

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Don't forget -- bad faith assertions of everyone else's logical fallacies are the only thing this icecube guy ever defends his points with.

I don't know about that....sometimes.  But here, I think he just got the concept wrong, as I do think it is a somewhat difficult concept to know when it applies or not. 

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Its why I said go ahead and by the Jim Brown jersey.....you won't be getting  a dud. 

On 5/30/2020 at 8:09 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Well, if you want to get the "biggest bang for your buck" I'd suggest Baker or Garrett. 
Landry, OBJ and Chubb? I wouldn't put money on these three guys being here in three years. (And I just bought a Chubb jersey knowing this.)

Good choice. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them, believe it or not. Personally I’ve stayed away from buying Browns jerseys. It just hasn’t seemed like a good investment in the past 20 years..   I do agree that Garrett and Baker are the foundation. And I’d imagine them being the highest sellers.

Chubb is an elite level RB with a humble attitude who is just scratching the surface in the NFL. Landry brought a level of toughness and discipline to the receiving core.

OBJ is game changing talent who brings some flair.

This isn’t a situation like the past where guys were being overpaid. Good players want to be in Cleveland now, such as Austin Hooper and Jack ConkIin. I don’t think they would’ve signed here if it was 5 years ago.

I may have to start out with 2 or 3 this year, just to be safe. We’ll see how it goes.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:50 AM, Unsympathetic said:

Don't forget -- bad faith assertions of everyone else's logical fallacies are the only thing this icecube guy ever defends his points with.

Wow, amazing jibber jabber. Can we speak in something that's not dizzy? 

On 5/31/2020 at 11:51 AM, calfoxwc said:

The Browns had holes in talent at LT, RT, and RG. Now... the stats are not going to show Chubb to be the best rb in

the NFL.

It doesn't mean he isn't the best rb in the NFL. Again, even Jim Brown gave his offensive line all the credit in the world.

Interesting:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/28/17514858/finding-the-best-offensive-line-in-history-a-research-study

Note - the Browns offensive line hasn't been "great", per this author's opinions, since that time in history - see number 4 towards the top of the list.

The mid to late 80's Browns OL was pretty good. 

On 5/29/2020 at 1:04 PM, Icecube said:

Another sign this team gets it, this year. Huge difference from last year. 

To be fair the team was saying the same stuff last year.  Saying things like We know we have a lot of talented guys but we aren't just taking it for granted and we are working hard.  We know we have to prove it on the field etc. I find it comical that every year fans (not just browns fans) put a ton of hype into what people say to the media. For example every season buckeye fans complain that the tight end is not used enough then every offseason coaches talk about how they're going to implement the tight end into the passing game more this year. And every year fans buy in. 

These guys know what to say to media members. They aren't going to come out and say we are going to take the exact same approach as last year. What they say to the media now has no bearing what so ever on what they will actually do or how their season will actually go.