THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns VS Colts GAMEDAY Thread***

Nero

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

Baker misses high on a lot of his missed passes.  He hasn't demonstrated the accuracy that he supposedly has.

Jake Burns noticed that it usually happens when there is a congested pocket and Baker has to step up and throw "over the top".

In addition to that my gut feeling is that whenever Baker feels the pressure he thinks he has to get the ball out not only faster but with more juice on it.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Looked to me like the Colt backside quit biting on the PA

Yep. The DE's were staying with Baker and really charged him. We actually did ok in the second half, more than people think. The two Jarvis drops were essentially turnovers. 

Man, I can't get over the kickoff return for a TD. We had so many problems covering kicks a few weeks ago and I figured we had it sorted. I mean, only the Browns could make the biggest play of the game and give up a kickoff return! Lmao. But you know what? It didn't break us. Baker's two picks didn't break us, and neither did the two Jarvis drops. We're tough, and it shows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yep. The DE's were staying with Baker and really charged him. We actually did ok in the second half, more than people think. The two Jarvis drops were essentially turnovers. 

Man, I can't get over the kickoff return for a TD. We had so many problems covering kicks a few weeks ago and I figured we had it sorted. I mean, only the Browns could make the biggest play of the game and give up a kickoff return! Lmao. But you know what? It didn't break us. Baker's two picks didn't break us, and neither did the two Jarvis drops. We're tough, and it shows. 

That's one of the best things, and it tells you that we have at least a decent team. The 1-15 and 0-16 years we lost games because EVERYTHING had to go our way to win a game. This team can win games having some setbacks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Jake Burns noticed that it usually happens when there is a congested pocket and Baker has to step up and throw "over the top".

In addition to that my gut feeling is that whenever Baker feels the pressure he thinks he has to get the ball out not only faster but with more juice on it.

Yea, but I see progression, finally. He's getting more comfortable. Everyone is. 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Memo to Tour:  We have these things called "rivalries".  That means you do not give quarter to opposing rivals fans.  Just once try   not being a Quisling. 

My wife could not understand how I could possibly be so happy when A&M first defeats #4 Florida and then Texas loses to OU in 4 overtimes. She thought it cruel I would want Texas to have their hearts broken when our best friend whose brother is barely surviving COVID in ICU is a big Texas supporter and UT grad. All I could say is that when it's in-bred to want an old rival to lose no matter what, there is just nothing you can do but continue tradition. I still have no idea why that disgusted her.🤔 But then she is Cornell. She wouldn't get it unless maybe it was Havaad losing to Yale or some such nonsense. LOL!🙄 I had to come back later and add on that whenever Texas wins and A&M loses, our poor son gets flack from all his non-grad Texas fans this close to Asstin and that it made me happy he could give them shit now too.😂

PS-I held back on my ace in the hole however. I could have added that I had to go from 1956 to 1967 watching Texas beat us every year in between and that I was owed back for a decade of enduring gloating from my non-grad Texas asshole loving cousins. I'm sure she would have loved me for that one.😘

• Upvote 1

Didn't sleep too well last night and it's going to be a long ass day but victory Monday will power me through! Well, that and coffee. Definitely coffee. And no matter how bad I feel, it's not as bad as our special teams coach is going to feel after Stefanski is done with him. 😂

• Haha 1

Baker Mayfield’s rib x-rays were negative
X-rays on #Browns QB Baker Mayfield's ribs were negative. He said he'd be ready for next week in Pittsburgh.

👍..  On to the Pen in PA..
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad Baker will be ready, but I don't think half of our defense will be playing. Teller also has a calf strain, and those typically don't heal quickly. I know when I did mine, they took several weeks, and if I came back too early, it would strain again. Ronnie Harrison has a concussion, so he's out next week (probably). Philips went down with another knee injury, so he's probably out. Ogunjobi MIGHT play, but he and Sheldon are banged up. Vernon played decently yesterday but he also left with a groin injury, and I'd be shocked if he played. 

Those are just the ones I can think of, and I'm probably missing somebody. We're in very bad shape right now and we've got the damn Steelers next week. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ah, but put the same scenario near the goalline with Hunt stretching to break the plane and we'd all be be yelling how he was not down/stopped and TOUCHDOWN!

I think we got lucky and that the Indy owner gets an apology letter this coming week.

I mean sure, but fundamentally I would make the same case. I think they bailed us out cause they knew they messed up not granting forward progress and play dead. He was not moving for nearly 2 seconds from the time of being "on the ground" to the "fumble". 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm glad Baker will be ready, but I don't think half of our defense will be playing. Teller also has a calf strain, and those typically don't heal quickly. I know when I did mine, they took several weeks, and if I came back too early, it would strain again. Ronnie Harrison has a concussion, so he's out next week (probably). Philips went down with another knee injury, so he's probably out. Ogunjobi MIGHT play, but he and Sheldon are banged up. Vernon played decently yesterday but he also left with a groin injury, and I'd be shocked if he played. 

Those are just the ones I can think of, and I'm probably missing somebody. We're in very bad shape right now and we've got the damn Steelers next week. 

The Steelers have become a horizontal team with Ben back.  He’s bubble screening and the Steelers are YACing teams to death.  They are trying to trick teams rather than lineup and go conventional calls.  Watching the Eagles/Steelers I thought they set up the aggressive eagles beautifully and their play caller had a great game. The Steelers will be very mindful taking shots down field with Myles Garrett on an island with a guy he dominates Andrew V.  

If Ogunjobi can’t go it’s not great of course but also not the end of the world with this matchup. 

Teller NEEDS to be back.  We can run on the Steelers as lately something looks off this season with their Defense.  If the Steeler D tackles like they did against the Eagles we have 35-40 spot on the Board waiting for them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barry said:

With his history of batted passes by the DL it'd be natural for him to elevate the ball some. Problem comes that when you combine this tendency with his fastball deliveries you end up with high throws.

I've more than one lingering concern about Baker's ceiling, but it is his lack of accurate touch that concerns me the most. Give him a throwing lane thru the lines to a target that is covered to either side (or both sides) and a completion is almost guaranteed. Clog the lanes or have coverage under the target and not so much. We saw this Sunday in an overthrown touch pass (intended for Bryant IIRC) and a flat, deep ball that was INT'd by an under LB late in the game. (His early LB INT was simply a matter of not seeing the under IMO as it was a much shorter pass.)

Completing passes with touch simply takes more anticipation than Baker has shown to date. He seems football smart enough to develop here, but until he does...

Great win against a quality team. I DOnt remember many games against good teams where the coaching edge was so advantageous to our Brownies. Stefanski does create opportunity against different styles of D. Pittsburgh will be a different challenge again.. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lambdo said:

Great win against a quality team. I DOnt remember many games against good teams where the coaching edge was so advantageous to our Brownies. Stefanski does create opportunity against different styles of D. Pittsburgh will be a different challenge again.. 

How nice was it to run the clock out and end the game on a FG? We didn't even have to WORRY about our tired defense coming back out there. When's the last time we did THAT shit? Man I loved it.  D'Ernest had that one run to the left and we DID IT. Fudge yes. 

22 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Whoa... LVR just went ahead of KC... 24-21... long TD Carr to Jeudy

I got seriously honked off Tour. When the Bengals game was over, CBS decided to give us "bonus" coverage of that game, until it ended. Grrrrr...  Had to turn on the radio, missed the  first couple  minutes. Wasn't on Sunday ticket either because it was an OTA broadcast  locally.  

19 hours ago, Vagitron said:

So if you watched this entire game and felt the steelers got preferential treatment you are on something special. I agree the steelers got one early. The officiating beyond that point was just down right bad and several times fucked the steelers. The Steelers getting favorable calls is only a opposing fan base viewpoint. The refs are just bad across the board for everyone. 

Ben also has zero issue throwing down field, but the eagle d-line is legit. 

See you  Sunday,  it should be a good one.

17 hours ago, tinythinker said:

Browns 4-1?

*checks to see the last time they started 4-1*

How many Browns fans weren't even born in 1994?

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

How nice was it to run the clock out and end the game on a FG? We didn't even have to WORRY about our tired defense coming back out there. When's the last time we did THAT shit? Man I loved it.  D'Ernest had that one run to the left and we DID IT. Fudge yes. 

Except Cody Par-kay boinked that last one to make it interesting.  Tour and me were down in Miami when he wasn't so lucky. I hope that was an aberration because he's been  decent so far.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

How many Browns fans weren't even born in 1994?

I was born in 1993, lol. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gorka said:

I'm convinced. This team is for real!

i sure am glad that they went with rivers....stupid move....brissett is a much better qb.....rivers reminds me of ole peyton when he won that sb with denver....ole noodle arm...that is where rivers is now.....dumb fo move on their part...

I can't stop thinking about how we're winning despite not playing complete football games. I mean, we're playing good football, don't get me wrong, but in years past something like that kickoff return would have just sank us. Or Baker's 2 picks? Yeah, game over for sure. And at the end? I can't hardly remember a time when we ran out the effing clock! How great was THAT shit? Our defense gassed, Kareem Hunt cramping, the script written, Browns fans everywhere thinking they've seen this film before....BUT NO! 

"Paging D'Ernest Johnson, D'Ernest Johnson, would you please come to the 30 yard line? Your team needs you to win the game." 

That lead against Dallas? Yeah, that would have been toast. The OBJ reverse nothing but a warm thought on a dreary Monday morning as we looked back at the missed opportunities. How about the Bengals game? After getting stuffed on 4th down at the goal line, we NEVER would've gotten that strip sack and then punched it in. They would have driven down the field and taken the lead. Sure as shit.

How about the Washington game? We lose the lead in the 3rd quarter against a subpar team. Years past, we fold. But not now. Baker hits OBJ over the middle on a gigantic 3rd and 12 and we roll on. Remember a couple of years ago at Oakland when Chubb got the 1st down but the refs took it away from us? We were still up 8 but guess what happened? You know what happened. Oakland drives down the field in about 45 seconds and scores a touchdown and obviously gets the 2 point conversion (I do believe in our history we've NEVER stopped a 2 point conversion. Wtf?) 

My point is that we're finally winning games and making plays when they matter. We're overcoming injuries, big negative plays, and we're staying away from penalties. Our QB was 2-8 for 19 yards and 2 picks in the 2nd half against a 3-1 team and we won by 9 points. 

Regardless of what happens this week, we're a solid team that is starting to believe. Eat it up Browns fans, you've waited long enough. 

11 hours ago, browns52 said:

i sure am glad that they went with rivers....stupid move....brissett is a much better qb.....rivers reminds me of ole peyton when he won that sb with denver....ole noodle arm...that is where rivers is now.....dumb fo move on their part...

Payton wasn't throwing as many interceptions a game as Rivers has thrown the past 2 plus years. Get him off his spot like Garrett was doing to him and sooner or later he tosses one up for grabs or misses the defender being too close. His game has really deteriorated and he should have retired last year.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Payton wasn't throwing as many interceptions a game as Rivers has thrown the past 2 plus years. Get him off his spot like Garrett was doing to him and sooner or later he tosses one up for grabs or misses the defender being too close. His game has really deteriorated and he should have retired last year.

Well, I don't know.  It was good enough for him to take his team to a 3-1 record coming into this game.   The hope is that the Browns defense can make BR look as bad as Rivers. 

The Steelers have played some straight up NASTY defenses so far. 🤪

browns have a better offense than Pitt

pitt has a better D than the browns.

match made in heaven. I will say this, turnovers win on Sunday. The browns happen to be leading the league in turnovers and total offense, FWIW. 

the colts have a top 5 D, all we heard all last week was how good the D was. Then what happened? 

it’s too bad the browns sucked for so long. Boomer said it best “the NFL is better when the browns are relevant”

Btw, you guys probably noticed, but we had a brilliant red zone play that should have scored but we ended up with a FG I think. Remember our first drive when we handed off to our FB and he went the other direction? There was a HUGE hole there and he tripped on our lineman's foot. He literally tripped on his own guy or he barrels into the end zone. It was a gorgeous play design too! I'm telling you, I adore this coach. I know he was burning up over that play because we set that up for WEEKS. Oh well...can't have them all. 😂

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Btw, you guys probably noticed, but we had a brilliant red zone play that should have scored but we ended up with a FG I think. Remember our first drive when we handed off to our FB and he went the other direction? There was a HUGE hole there and he tripped on our lineman's foot. He literally tripped on his own guy or he barrels into the end zone. It was a gorgeous play design too! I'm telling you, I adore this coach. I know he was burning up over that play because we set that up for WEEKS. Oh well...can't have them all. 😂

Good call on that jiggins, that was a good-looking misdirection that was close to breaking for a touchdown. 

Man alive, I dig having a fullback again. 

• Like 1