THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

TypicalBrowns50

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Me too. I thought he was talking to Nero about his home country.🙄

Flag of Spain

Wouldn't mind bringing her here to have their her company...

27 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

This Baker and the Baker who hasn’t thrown an INT in the last 5 games has grown so much since 2018, but yes, is still the same QB.

Note to Baker. If they call a QB keeper, call a TO.😱🏈

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Baker won "NFL Air Player of the Week"... whatevertheeff that is.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/baker-mayfield-wins-nfl-s-air-player-of-the-week

I've always thought that Lay's chips could sponsor that trophy. 

• Haha 1

Think about this for a minute... So I guess Otto sucked too.. (sarcasm)... And don't give me any jive about seeing over his line or seeing downfield.. Lou the Toe was 6'3'' and Mike McCormack was 6'4''.  No I'm not saying Baker is Otto... But you can't ignore some of the similarities...

Grayfield!.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

A TOTALLY under appreciated aspect to Baker Mayfield is HE IS ALWAYS ON THE FIELD!!!

Think about that for a minute. We are most the may through his 3rd season and he hasn't missed a start yet. And I can only think of a handful of plays he didn't take the snap. After getting the snot beat out of him and the rib injuries, he stood in against a relentless Steelers pass rush. and only after the coach took pity on him I think, did he get pulled.

I've seen him take some vicious hits and he gets back up.  The saying goes "you can't hit the ball if you aren't up at bat". Well Baker is in there every single week in a league filled with injured QB's... After seeing his performance last week and really the last 5 to 6 weeks now(the horrendous INT in Cinci) I've seen a different Mayfield. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

A TOTALLY under appreciated aspect to Baker Mayfield is HE IS ALWAYS ON THE FIELD!!!

Think about that for a minute. We are most the may through his 3rd season and he hasn't missed a start yet. And I can only think of a handful of plays he didn't take the snap. After getting the snot beat out of him and the rib injuries, he stood in against a relentless Steelers pass rush. and only after the coach took pity on him I think, did he get pulled.

I've seen him take some vicious hits and he gets back up.  The saying goes "you can't hit the ball if you aren't up at bat". Well Baker is in there every single week in a league filled with injured QB's... After seeing his performance last week and really the last 5 to 6 weeks now(the horrendous INT in Cinci) I've seen a different Mayfield. 

Baker is certainly physically and mentally tough as nails, and his leadership is applauded even by Joe Namath, who knows about that stuff.

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-reasons-baker-mayfield-has-been-playing-better-lately/

https://www.brownsnation.com/joe-namath-says-baker-mayfields-leadership-is-contagious/

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

Hear hear!!

• Like 1

There are so many things I want to write about Baker, but I don't have the time (I'm sure everyone is very upset, lol). The first thing I want to mention is how good he's been on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long. How many GIGANTIC conversions has he made? Some at crucial times in the game, backed up in our end zone, or a 3rd and 18 against the Texans when it's windy AF. He's made an obscene amount of huge plays, and don't get me started on some of the drops. 

What we're learning is that if you don't pressure Baker, he WILL hurt you. That's kind of what gives me pause this Monday, and I don't love the fact that we haven't played well at all against teams that can really get after the QB. The Ravens' defense isn't what it used to be, but they've got big time names capable of winning and getting home to the qb. They've got size and DL's who knock down passes. I will almost guarantee that we won't be able to sit back and pick them apart like we did Tennessee. 

Oddly enough, the Cowboys were able to largely stymie the Ravens' aggressive pass rush, and did so with many backups on their OL. That makes me feel A LITTLE better, but not much. Yes, week 1 was a long time ago, but let's not act like it's a different Baltimore team. It's the same one that totally humiliated us, and we looked like hot garbage. And that's WITH a healthy team. 

I do believe that we're somewhat different from week 1 and that we've obviously grown. Playing Baltimore almost always comes down to a couple very simple things:  Can you stop them on 4th down? Can you get 7 instead of 3? Can you avoid turnovers? That's basically it. Easy to say, hard to do. 

I will say that a win totally changes how I see our team and our post season aspirations. If we win...we're probably becoming a team who will scare some people come January. Let's not only GET to the playoffs...let's WIN the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

There are so many things I want to write about Baker, but I don't have the time (I'm sure everyone is very upset, lol). The first thing I want to mention is how good he's been on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long. How many GIGANTIC conversions has he made? Some at crucial times in the game, backed up in our end zone, or a 3rd and 18 against the Texans when it's windy AF. He's made an obscene amount of huge plays, and don't get me started on some of the drops. 

What we're learning is that if you don't pressure Baker, he WILL hurt you. That's kind of what gives me pause this Monday, and I don't love the fact that we haven't played well at all against teams that can really get after the QB. The Ravens' defense isn't what it used to be, but they've got big time names capable of winning and getting home to the qb. They've got size and DL's who knock down passes. I will almost guarantee that we won't be able to sit back and pick them apart like we did Tennessee. 

Oddly enough, the Cowboys were able to largely stymie the Ravens' aggressive pass rush, and did so with many backups on their OL. That makes me feel A LITTLE better, but not much. Yes, week 1 was a long time ago, but let's not act like it's a different Baltimore team. It's the same one that totally humiliated us, and we looked like hot garbage. And that's WITH a healthy team. 

I do believe that we're somewhat different from week 1 and that we've obviously grown. Playing Baltimore almost always comes down to a couple very simple things:  Can you stop them on 4th down? Can you get 7 instead of 3? Can you avoid turnovers? That's basically it. Easy to say, hard to do. 

I will say that a win totally changes how I see our team and our post season aspirations. If we win...we're probably becoming a team who will scare some people come January. Let's not only GET to the playoffs...let's WIN the playoffs. 

Were probably gonna do more max protection than normal by running a lot of TE sets and a big front...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Baker is certainly physically and mentally tough as nails, and his leadership is applauded even by Joe Namath, who knows about that stuff.

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-reasons-baker-mayfield-has-been-playing-better-lately/

https://www.brownsnation.com/joe-namath-says-baker-mayfields-leadership-is-contagious/

Joe is looking at it only from the QB point of view. But our other QB that threw the 1st down to Baker is the real leader of this entire team.

Landry has led a complete mental turnaround in there which is affecting everyone including Baker IMO.

• Upvote 1

Berry talks Mayfield... https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-gm-says-baker-mayfield-deserves-a-lot-of-credit-for-approach-to-2020-seas  

On 12/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, Tour2ma said:

Not me, but we know gumby was there...

I think we may have even seen him on TV as there was a shot of what appeared to be a Father-son sitting next to each other... one in a MG #95 and the other in a Chubb #24 as the gumster advertised would be worn.

Looking as if they found the Gumster a few times... Above posted Mayfield link has me behind Browns bench at 2:08 in video. 9:38 left in 2nd quarter after Higgy stands up from nice grab.. Ya see that wuss 🤓 to the lower row, to my left that looks cold ,with the blonde, double hat'ed in the Titans Jacket? After choices.. He ended up wearing my Chubb jersey under that wuss coat :D on his way out... Business is Business..

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Berry talks Mayfield... https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-gm-says-baker-mayfield-deserves-a-lot-of-credit-for-approach-to-2020-seas  

Looking as if they found the Gumster a few times... Above posted Mayfield link has me behind Browns bench at 2:08 in video. 9:38 left in 2nd quarter after Higgy stands up from nice grab.. Ya see that wuss 🤓 to the lower row, to my left that looks cold ,with the blonde, double hat'ed in the Titans Jacket? After choices.. He ended up wearing my Chubb jersey under that wuss coat :D on his way out... Business is Business..

You wearing the 95 or the 6?

Pretty sure that was you I originally posted about. It was an actual, tight, fans-in-the-stands shot.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

You wearing the 95 or the 6?

Pretty sure that was you I originally posted about. It was an actual, tight, fans-in-the-stands shot.

I'm wearing the 95 Garrett jersey.. #6 is a solid former HS (Perrysburg)) OL coach orginally from Toledo. His wife took a job transfer to Athens,TN (our ticket source).. His Wife & My wife (wore the Chubb jersey) are up in a Nashville Hospital Business Suite that only allowed 8 members... Our group only had visitation rights on beer runs.:D.but the suite did have a bomb diggity bathroom.. Shhhh!🤫 (we never missed a snap)

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 12:48 PM, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, it really is amazing. Especially when you consider that he's not just taking care of the ball and getting lucky, but he's really making correct reads and understanding the game. One of the PFF guys said the other day that Baker didn't have a single missed read in multiple games this season. That's impressive. And I know PFF is kind of debatable, but the overall point is that Baker is seeing the field, making the correct decision, and generally making the play...ESPECIALLY on 3rd and 4th down. 

Something else that Baker needs credit for is his ability to really sell the play-action game. Is there a better QB at selling fakes? There was a play against the Jags where the DE chased Baker, didn't see the ball on Baker's front hip, and then turned around to chase Chubb who didn't have the rock. Baker is really thriving in the offense and working on the nuances of the system. 

If we were healthier I'd predict us to win. If OBJ is out there with Denzel Ward and Ronnie Harrison...I'm confident in our ability to give the Titans all they want. But as we all know, that's not the case. We're BEYOND banged up, and our defense wasn't great even WHEN healthy. 

If we have a chance to win its because of Baker's Mayfield. Wouldn't surprise me if he throws for 350 yards and 3 tds. And we still lose by 2 scores. I really do think we're on trouble this week, but I guess we'll see. 

I wrote this in another thread but I'll cut and paste it here as well.   

Sometimes I wonder if we put Baker in a pistol/shot-gun formation more frequently if it would improve his pre-snap reads and peripheral vision that split second decisions count on.  I used to say all the time when people said Baker reminded them of Brett Favre that he reminded me more of Drew Brees.  BTW, Drew Brees' career at Baker's age was turbulent enough to prompt SD to draft a QB 1st overall (Eli and then they had to trade him to the NYG in order to draft Philip Rivers a little later in rd 1).  The questions arising at the time were - is Brees tall enough to see everything at 6'?   Keep in mind that both Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are 6'5" tall so I'm guessing the plan suggested the height needed to be dealt with. Having said that, Rivers held out the length of training camp so Brees was named starter as his 4th season began. When Brees played at Purdue - Joe Tiller had him in the shot gun formation most of the time; so he didn't turn his back on pre-snap reads during his drop-backs which helped his decisions and accuracy.  When Brees got to SD, the game plan was to feed LT the ball and the best formations to do so at the time seemed to be QB under Center.  LT flourished but that didn't always help Brees at QB (seems kind of familiar to some of the games we've seen this year with our running game and Baker right?). Coincidentally, SD drafted Purdue Center Nick Hardwick in 2004 - who made a lot of snaps in the shot gun formation for Joe Tiller's team while he was very efficient blocking up front.  Another coincidence is Drew Brees made his 1st NFL Pro Bowl in 2004 - the first year he had Hardwick snapping frequently to him in a shot gun formation.  Again, that could all just be a coincidence to the turning point - but I think the Coaching Staff in SD made an attempt to borrow some of the Joe Tiller thought process that made Drew Brees a star in the Big 10 (particularly increasing the frequency of extending the pre and post snap vision). FWIW, that never stopped LT from being elite at running the ball. 

As Brees' career went on and a shoulder injury fated him to Sean Payton in New Orleans - Brees perfected the art of throwing to precise areas receivers were supposed to be and his length of experience and preparation produced elite/unparalleled anticipation.  Would any of this have been possible if Rivers never held out the training camp leading to the breakout year from Brees?  As it is, after Brees injured his shoulder - he only had 2 teams interested despite the reality of his surgeon saying the prognosis was excellent and his arm strength could even improve.  That 6' QB stereotype still invited more critics than gonads...

Why all that?  What's the hurry to say we're seeing the final product of Baker Mayfield - who is 4 Offensive Coordinators old in just 3 NFL seasons?   That's a lot of systems to learn and de-program this early on.  I'm a 1st impression kind of guy that thinks it's very difficult to set an NFL Rookie QB  record of 27 TD passes in only 14 appearances on a team coming off 0-16 football if you don't have a promising skillset to tap.  So then it becomes "yeah but he can't beat any good NFL teams?"    I expect that from a jock sniffer like Colin Cowherd; but let's try to remember just how non-competitive this offense and the QB position was here before Baker arrived.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Flugel said:

wrote this in another thread but I'll cut and paste it here as we

Just responded to the other thread! 

• Thanks 1

I hate posting this because I feel like I'm somehow going to jinx him, but that's obviously hogwash. Check out these numbers. 

Screenshot_20201212-124833_Twitter.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:08 AM, Flugel said:

(Eli and then they had to trade him to the NYG in order to draft Philip Rivers a little later in rd 1).

Nitpicking to be sure, but actually NYG drafted Rivers and then the two traded QBs.

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Nitpicking to be sure, but actually NYG drafted Rivers and then the two traded QBs.

Thanks Tour!  Believe it or not - I had it in there after the parentheses. Here's a cut and paste of my reminder how far they went out of their way in round 1:  BTW, Drew Brees' career at Baker's age was turbulent enough to prompt SD to draft a QB 1st overall (Eli and then they had to trade him to the NYG in order to draft Philip Rivers a little later in rd 1).

One more thing about Baker... 

According to PFF, Baker Mayfield is literally the highest rated QB in the 4th quarter/Overtime in the NFL. Think about that for a moment. Everyone knows I've been firm on my belief that Baker WILL be our guy for the next 12 years or so. He's our guy and I couldn't be happier.